Topic: How to create XUL extensions?

I have been trying for months to re-write my WebExtensions addon so that it will work on Iceweasel-UXP. It's got just one javascript file, about 20 lines of code that hides some text on the pages of a certain web domain. It has no UI components.

I have not been able to find a comprehensive XUL extension introduction. I've tried to learn by example from some iceweasel-uxp extensions, but they are either way more complicated than my extension or are bootstrapped (mine isn't). Mozilla MDN has deleted many of its XUL pages. Most of th XUL tutorials online are about writing full applications.

I've packaged and loaded my extension in the browser. The browser gives no error messages or warnings. I've validated my javascript. All I need to know is how to get the browser to run my extension. The code is just completely ignored.

Re: How to create XUL extensions?

Thanks for the input: I think it is therefore needed to rethink to linking towards pages and information, completely. When looking for the official pages (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc … a/Tech/XUL) there is nothing more to find. I've tried to search for alternatives but even the own blog-entries from Mozilla link towards deleted pages (https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/06 … extension/). sad

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

On XUL, there's a great extension for Iceweasel-UXP restoring the old theme:

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer

XPI releases: https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme … r/releases

Mozilla MDN has deleted many of its XUL pages.

You can use RealityRipple’s UDN instead.

g4jc wrote:

Mozilla MDN has deleted many of its XUL pages.

You can use RealityRipple’s UDN instead.

Thankfully...

I also noticed he has a flashgot fork on his website as well...

I wondered if you were going to mention this though.

I look forward to icedove-uxp's return.

Thank you btw regarding your updates in general.

As well as that interesting addon.

smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I'm a longtime Seamonkey user.   I'm coming from Slackware as free-nix dosent seem to be getting any love since Slackware went to version 15. Hence I'm here looking at Hyperbola.

Re iceape-uxp .  The invidious search is ace, but I have a few issues with other plugins. There seems to be no addons listed like there is for iceweasel  I've tried manually adding addons from palemoon but not had any success. I'd normally just us the converter page but it seems no more so  I tried the unpack rename the version to * and repacking. That would usually work on bog standard Seamonkey but to no avail on iceape-uxp.

The search is broken, in the searx instance 

gives  searx.privatenet.cf could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

I can't seem to change it. 

I'm a terrible speller and use composer a lot just as an editor but the spell check does nothing as far as i can tell. 

Any clues would be much appreciated

7 (edited by anthk 2023-02-03 15:39:29)

Oslek wrote:

I'm a longtime Seamonkey user.   I'm coming from Slackware as free-nix dosent seem to be getting any love since Slackware went to version 15. Hence I'm here looking at Hyperbola.

Re iceape-uxp .  The invidious search is ace, but I have a few issues with other plugins. There seems to be no addons listed like there is for iceweasel  I've tried manually adding addons from palemoon but not had any success. I'd normally just us the converter page but it seems no more so  I tried the unpack rename the version to * and repacking. That would usually work on bog standard Seamonkey but to no avail on iceape-uxp.

The search is broken, in the searx instance 

gives  searx.privatenet.cf could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

I can't seem to change it. 

I'm a terrible speller and use composer a lot just as an editor but the spell check does nothing as far as i can tell. 

Any clues would be much appreciated

Yes, on Iceape it's very difficult to get extensions, but hyperbola has some on the repos. UBlock Origin it's a must.

With Iceweasel you would have more extensions.

On FreeNix, they had hints to free Slackware 15, but it's not a proved method as propietary software may still be installed.

Hyperbola works well enough for me even if the repo it's far smaller, but I already got used to a minimalist setup: special Gnuplot build without QT/WX, custom Yacas Build, Icewm+Rox based DE (among other addons)..., custom qt2/3 zukitre build plus qt5-styleplugins...

Instead of Java, I'm filling my OOP prototyping needs for applications with Unicon, even if it's currently lacking Unicode (it will get it soon, I think) and XFT support.