Topic: Post-installation - more information required in Wiki

I followed the steps of the installation perfectly

When I want to move beyond the base system installation and go beyond, there doesn't appear to be any

I went to the Arch wiki for information, and it recommended the first step would be to install X server

However when I went to run commands, I find that 'sudo' is not a recognised command

Please either post a complete installation guide that can be followed and results in a graphical environment (doesn't matter which, I can then install whatever I want from that point) or release a live image with a desktop interface provided

Thank you

Re: Post-installation - more information required in Wiki

Hello, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback. First things first: Do you need support for installation of a graphical environment at all as Hyperbolas was original planned as "server-only" system and has gone beyond that point ever since. So for sure we need to add more information and have planned that also.

For installation of the graphical environment it would be good having more information about the graphicscard you are using. Afterwards perhaps also to note for further helping here in the thread: Which kind of environment do you prefer? Stacking or tiling window-manager?

We generally don't use sudo and recommend doas (package-name: opendoas).

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Hi, thanks for the response.
I am interested in Hyberbola because it is libre, systemd-free, and is the only OS that I've been able to locate that has serious misgivings (rightly so) about the Linux kernel and its adoption of horrible blobs.
The roadmap you have is great on paper and I wanted to begin my Hyperbola journey with installation of the Milky Way before the BSD migration.
I am familiar with Arch-based systems to some degree, and have used Obarun and Artix previously. Both have problems.

My GPU is: NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX

I would ideally like i3-gaps or bspwm, but I don't mind anything fairly minimal - jwm, lxde, openbox, etc.

As long as I have something to get started with, then I can work out the rest on my own

So I just need instructions on how to get from the end of the installation guide to any lightweight graphical environment

Many thanks

I found this guide

https://conocimientoslibres.tuxfamily.o … ion-guide/

and this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dR-aGUVF8

Both are somewhat better than your existing guide, but both get different results on my PC than the one used by the guide writer/video maker

It is very disappointing that it is so complex to get a simple graphical environment installed on what looks on paper to be a very promising OS

Please consider either a live ISO with JWM or something basic, and/or a script like the kind Obarun use, which allow you to make simple choices and it does the complicated stuff for us

I'm not a total noob, but if I can't follow either of the 3 guides found and get into a graphical environment, I would say that something needs to be improved, really

There are plenty of us out there that want an OS that is truly free, and we could all contribute in different ways to your project

Please consider widening it so that it doesn't remain elite only

In the meantime I will go back to antiX sad

It is not that complex as you think at all. First to mention is the GPU you are using could be somewhat of a problem. But we can try therefore: You can follow the generic installation-guide and after a first restart with installed GRUB you need to create your user with this (at that point I assume you are no longer booting from any installation-medium and only from your local drive, if you have problems at that point please let us look into this before):

useradd -g users -m -s /bin/bash [USERNAME]

Setup your password:

passwd [USERNAME]

Add yourself to the following basic groups:

usermod -aG audio [USERNAME]
usermod -aG video [USERNAME]
usermod -aG sys [USERNAME]
usermod -aG storage [USERNAME]
usermod -aG optical [USERNAME]
usermod -aG wheel [USERNAME]
usermod -aG power [USERNAME]

If you want to play games later on:

usermod -aG games [USERNAME]

So you should be ready now to install a graphical environment. Login as your newly created user and install:

doas pacman -S xenocara xorg-video-nouveau

From that point you would be able to execute a window-manager, I take IceWM and slim as example:

doas pacman -S icewm slim

After that you need to add slim to your execution-level:

doas rc-update add slim default

And create the following file so slim as login can execute icewm:

nano ~/.xinitrc

Content of the file:

DEFAULT_SESSION=icewm-session

case $1 in
icewm)
    exec icewm-session
    ;;
*)
    exec $DEFAULT_SESSION
esac

You should be good to go at that point, but perhaps steps are missing nevertheless for your system. This would be a rough scribble first!
Installation of Hyperbola is not that complicated, but for sure needs some work. Please be also informed: We don't support lxde, mate, xfce, gnome or kde at all. The reasoning is the mandatory dependency towards dbus.

WordsOfPower wrote:

There are plenty of us out there that want an OS that is truly free, and we could all contribute in different ways to your project

Please consider widening it so that it doesn't remain elite only

In the meantime I will go back to antiX sad

Any help is welcome, but you should consider also not directly going back to another system before final having an overview if it is working or not on your system. That would be a first help for sure! The mentioned video-guide is for example not compatible with version 0.4 as we don't support xfce for example.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Upon restarting, there is no connectivity for some reason. When trying to install xenocara and the GPU driver, I get a load of messages about hosts cannot be resolved

This is tiresome, honestly

You need to start dhcpcd for getting a correct connection, either direct as root or via service on the default-level:

doas rc-update add dhcpcd default
WordsOfPower wrote:

Sorry, but is impossible to create a complete free and libre system with a full flavored environment at startup. The previous version of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre had also dbus included. But we don't distribute that any longer. Yes, it is harder and not that kind of user-friendly. But there is no bloat left. You need to understand the service-framework hyperrc (openrc) and therefore also how services work for getting further. I try to do my best getting through with you, noting where we can add more details for a better installation-guide. smile

throgh wrote:

You need to start dhcpcd for getting a correct connection, either direct as root or via service on the default-level:

doas rc-update add dhcpcd default
WordsOfPower wrote:

Sorry, but is impossible to create a complete free and libre system with a full flavored environment at startup. The previous version of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre had also dbus included. But we don't distribute that any longer. Yes, it is harder and not that kind of user-friendly. But there is no bloat left. You need to understand the service-framework hyperrc (openrc) and therefore also how services work for getting further. I try to do my best getting through with you, noting where we can add more details for a better installation-guide. smile

Ok what other steps might I need to perform between the end of your installation guide and the actual booting of a GUI ?

I assume I will only have to start DHCP once and after that it's part of the init process?

Stuff like Trackpad and Keyboard Backlight and screen light I can handle once I'm in and able to play around, but can you think of anything else that is gonna stop me from moving further?

Foremost you need to play around with OpenRC at all. So there are two runlevels getting used most:

boot

As written already you can add services to those runlevels like this:

doas rc-update add dhcpcd detault

This will execute the service at default-runlevel (recommended). You can review all installed services under:

/etc/init.d/

And the configuration-files under:

/etc/conf.d/

Beware: Not all services need a configuration there at all as those are only used for start-configurations and elementary parts of the services. To remove a service from a runlevel:

doas rc-update del dhcpcd default

This will remove dhcpcd then from default-runlevel.

Same to do when x-server is installed further and you want to execute it at startup, example with slim:

doas rc-update add slim default

I hope this is giving you a first idea how the service-framework is working. You can also look here for more: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

OK i've done all that but cannot seem to start X

Surely I am now only one step away

Since I seem to be close to getting a bootable graphical system, I would thank you for your help, but I would also raise a point that you so far seem to be missing:

In order for a person to properly test your OS, they need to boot into a graphical environment and then play around with it (assuming you want graphical users at all?)

So expecting them to learn all of the above just puts an unnecessary barrier to entry, IMO

I'm persisting because my will is strong, but others will not be

You didn't comment about the Obarun script I mentioned

I don't see at all why Hyperbola could not develop something like that

It just prompts people to choose their locale, choose their window manager, etc, and does all the other stuff, like interacting with init system, automated

If you confirm for me that Hyperbola is ONLY for ADvanced users, then fine, but then I simply cannot evaluate it.

It's a shame. If your distro was a TINY bit more user friendly you would attract a lot more support, I think

I hope you'll consder my feedback as trying to be helpful and not just negative

I've been using Linux since 2013, and experimenting with Systemd-free distros for around a year, so I'm not a recent Windoze convert or something

If I can do my bit to bring Hyperbola to more people, I would be happy

Isn't that what you want?

I unexpectedly wrote a lot more than I intended

The most important thing is: HOW DO I START X ?

Yes, we have something in preparation, but this will be included further in release 0.4.1 as named hyperfi and for 0.4.2 coming when all is going good our hyperinstaller.

Regarding starting the x-server (xenocara): It is your choice either to use some login-manager like slim or xorg-xdm, alternative using startx-command itself from the terminal. Besides to check again the posting earlier: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 4593#p4593

Your user should be in the corresponding groups for having no further trouble. If you prefer startx as command:

doas pacman -S xenocara-xinit

OK, I'm in. The annoying part is over, and now the hard work starts.

I intend to write guides for installation of the graphical environment and other 'bits' that many users would like.

When they're complete, I'll send them your way and you can see what you think of them.

Thanks for the help!

I hope I won't have too many questions, now that I can have the browser to search for answers in the same workspace as the terminal I'm grappling with! (previous to now I was having to logout and reboot from antiX USB every time I wanted to post on these forums or look for help)

Take care

If you have further questions like how to get into standby or adding kernel-modules especially, just ask here. smile
It is fine to read that you had a first success now running into a graphical environment. May I ask: Which window-manager was your selection? IceWM? JWM? Or something else? Just being curious as we have some further prepared for 0.4.1, especially small ones to save capacities.

I'm happy than for reading your notes and guide, will give you also feedback. Thanks for the questions and the additions so we can make Hyperbola and the project bit by bit better.

WordsOfPower wrote:

OK, I'm in. The annoying part is over, and now the hard work starts.

I intend to write guides for installation of the graphical environment and other 'bits' that many users would like.

When they're complete, I'll send them your way and you can see what you think of them.

Thanks for the help!

I hope I won't have too many questions, now that I can have the browser to search for answers in the same workspace as the terminal I'm grappling with! (previous to now I was having to logout and reboot from antiX USB every time I wanted to post on these forums or look for help)

Take care

If you want an ultra lightweight setup, I recommend, jwm.

Also, if you know how to set jwmkit up, its even easier, gives you a menu and a way to a poweroff easily, or via pressing a few keys at the same time.

only thing you need to do, is make sure, you change doas.conf to change the part of doas.conf to include these new two lines:

## Allow members of group wheel to execute any command
permit persist :wheel

## Same thing without a password
#permit nopass :wheel

## Allow tedu to run procmap as root without a password
permit nopass localuser as root cmd /sbin/poweroff
permit nopass localuser as root cmd /sbin/reboot
permit nopass localuser as root cmd /usr/sbin/s2ram

## Allow members of group power to execute power commands
permit nopass :power cmd openrc-shutdown
permit nopass :power cmd runit-halt
permit nopass :power cmd runit-shutdown
permit nopass :power cmd halt
permit nopass :power cmd poweroff
permit nopass :power cmd reboot
permit nopass :power cmd shutdown

## Allow root user to execute any command
#permit nopass root

Btw, you may notice a third line, right?

aka, s2ram as well,

However, there is no point, unless you have installed this:

uswsusp

also, when installed, it has a few steps for you to do, before iI think it would be to its maximum effectiveness.

that being said,

I detracted somewhat, from my original reply,

but there is one GOOD reason, you should use jwm...

JWM, uses the least cpu power, of any of the window managers that are still maintained, have a taskbar and even an application menu.

Thus, it is awesome for me, for darn sure, but you can feel free to do things however you like.

I just thought I would let you know this...

smile

If you want, something more flashy, Lumina Desktop is also an option.

Hope this helps!

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

16 (edited by sceann 2022-08-05 18:34:19)

Hello,

I managed to install latest milkyway ISO , everything seems to be working fine but upon boot system is stuck at starting sndiod , I am unable to reach to tty to login to openbox by startx , so what am I missing ?

This is the screenshot of my Hyperbola screen

https://imgur.com/a/0pSQjJB

Greetings and welcome:

I'd recommend first to disable sndio. For that the following steps:

1. Mount the system with the downloaded ISO (on USB or DVD) again.
2. Get into your installation-partition with arch-chroot [DEVICE] /mnt
3. Do the following command: rc-update del sndiod default

It could be also something more than sndio itself. But first thing is to get the point of the problem on your installation.
You can always use ALSA only first and later add sndiod again. Nevertheless there could be óther problems like missing network-connections for dhcp. But as said: Needed to consider the point. So also the question: What kind of hardware is base for the installation? More details would help here. smile

sceann wrote:

Hello,

I managed to install latest milkyway ISO , everything seems to be working fine but upon boot system is stuck at starting sndiod , I am unable to reach to tty to login to openbox by startx , so what am I missing ?

This is the screenshot of my Hyperbola screen

https://imgur.com/a/0pSQjJB

Are you able to press ctrl alt f2 to switch to a terminal? if so, log into root and then you may need to install some new things.

PS, I am currently using sndio with no issues, the only thing I am guessing, is that if sndio doesn't work for you, its possible there are some bugs in the ISO for specific architectures, or some other weird problem.

I can only speculate, so don't take my word for it yet. But yeah, try crtl alt f1-f12

basically crtl + alt and one of the function keys  that I mentioned above.

If this doesn't work, then chrooting via a live iso, is the only fix available.

yello mates

actually i had wrote some post installation wiki but dont have time and forget to share it on the past. i upload it on my pagure now.
it still not complete but already contains guides to set up full featured graphical desktop environment (xserver, sndio, doas, dhcp etc etc..)
it needs review and correction, and maybe include or refer it in hyperbola post installaion beginner guide smile

you can open it in browser:
https://pagure.io/hyperbola_wiki/blob/m … /guide.txt

or use git:
git clone https://pagure.io/hyperbola_wiki.git
cd hyperbola_wiki
nano guide.txt

goodnight

dikasp2 wrote:

yello mates

actually i had wrote some post installation wiki but dont have time and forget to share it on the past. i upload it on my pagure now.
it still not complete but already contains guides to set up full featured graphical desktop environment (xserver, sndio, doas, dhcp etc etc..)
it needs review and correction, and maybe include or refer it in hyperbola post installaion beginner guide smile

you can open it in browser:
https://pagure.io/hyperbola_wiki/blob/m … /guide.txt

or use git:
git clone https://pagure.io/hyperbola_wiki.git
cd hyperbola_wiki
nano guide.txt

goodnight

This will be good, till HyperbolaBSD is at least at beta level and has the packages we have now here or better.

Which, I don't know when it will happen, but always be prepared, am I right?

smile

Aka, till it arrives, have it as  backup, also... not sure what will change at this time.

Either way, thanks and have a good one!