Topic: Anyone interested in rebranding Rust?

I'm a university student studying programming. Thus I have a decent amount of free time. I think the way forward (for the free software movement) is to rebrand Rust. I'm not optimistic that we will be able to convince the wider community to "fix" Rust's issues https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … _trademark (wow, I do *not* miss BBCode...). I want to continue using, e.g., Tor. I like the idea of Rust, despite not having used it yet. Are there other people here who agree with me?

Apologies for my brash posting, but a quick search for Rust didn't lead me to any thread where this specific topic was discussed, only a thread discussing Rust in light of the next (?) release (?) of Hyperbola. I am aware (as much as I can be, having never maintained any software project) that rebranding it will be a huge undertaking.

Re: Anyone interested in rebranding Rust?

In general that is for sure sure interesting, so if there is interest from you and more people from the community: This would be for sure great. But there is maintaining needed as the free and libre fork needs to be updated therefore on a regular base same way as Rust itself.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

In general that is for sure sure interesting, so if there is interest from you and more people from the community: This would be for sure great. But there is maintaining needed as the free and libre fork needs to be updated therefore on a regular base same way as Rust itself.

Indeed...

I doubt Hyperbola has the manpower to do it themselves, however, maybe some other group will?

Either way, it would need to be debloated more in general and also, would take a monumental amount of time for whoever does this.

Long story short,  it might be as long of a wait as hplip getting its wifi features back in Hyperbola, possibly longer...

I wonder why the rust foundation refuses to remove that awful trademark, or limit the rust logo to maybe like, four or five places and not be, everywhere...

It makes me wonder, if they plan to sue people who make modifications regardless, if they dislike the project that does this even if they got their permission and then of course, if challenged, lie as much as possible to succeed.

I hope not, but it may very well be the case...

I really don't see any other reason why they wouldn't remove that insane trademark restriction.

It doesn't do anything to protect them anymore than mozilla's trademarks, Tobin's, etc...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

It is not only done by rebranding: There are thoughts also needed on how to guarantee compatibility with "Rust"-oriented projects compiling. The whole infrastructure behind Rust as language has to reviewed also then and it should be possible to make further modifications as projects like Hyperbola won't include some package-management at buildtime - it has the risk to include unfree parts. All in all: Yes, interest is there and it is good to ask here in the community. But we from Hyperbola cannot alone include that and it would be also not okay for us to have only one person with such pressure left alone. The call is therefore: If people reading here have interest, please raise hands and bring in ideas and proposals for supporting upos.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!