Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Well, just to make it more short for me speaking: NO commercial at all. The reasoning is the easiest one: Because we humans have no control about our essential understanding of greed and power. Better to have this out as the neverending competition is one result besides other even more problematic ones and we won't stop it onto illusions that we can control it. That's the reasoning the idea is not functional from my point of view. Free software and commercial usage will be forever some kind of bad compromise, some really bad deal in the making. You will also have people coming up with some really strange ideas like cutting one freedom away because they want to have full control about everything and no further forks or something else. And no: This is not something I have thought of. There are for sure people out there thinking about that. Once perhaps as better example how to "support free software". But we should be honest: This can turn right away also into another selfish act, very fast and hard when people search for making a name about something.

And with that the circle is closing as it is about competition then. It should not be about any kind of competition, more about helping and support each other, learning more and getting technical emancipation right forward. But that is the utopian perspective as the reality shows right away another picture.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Well, just to make it more short for me speaking: NO commercial at all. The reasoning is the easiest one: Because we humans have no control about our essential understanding of greed and power. Better to have this out as the neverending competition is one result besides other even more problematic ones and we won't stop it onto illusions that we can control it. That's the reasoning the idea is not functional from my point of view. Free software and commercial usage will be forever some kind of bad compromise, some really bad deal in the making.

Actually, that's unfortunately true 80% of the time or more...

That being said, people can disagree with me on this, but unless decentralized cloud storage and emails, get way easier, like say, you upload your file, but it is attached to some kind of, like torrent? And only private users, can access it/unlock it and it would be stored using tor, or i2pd,  atttached to said stream, etc.... and it probably would need to get vastly more complicated from there regardless of how simple the code is, because the authorities would probably try to stop that kind of anonymity...

My point being, cloud storage, webmail, email clients, cloud storage clients, are one example of this kind of stuff,

By the way, I fully realize SaaSS is discouraged in general in the libre community, but I think we both know that various diasters can occur, in the world, besides stuff being seized, such as natural ones, aka, power surge, fires, stuff breaking being the most common, point being, I find that use to make sense, if nothing else.

That being said, obviously, it would be nice if extremely strong curves for GnuPG, etc... could be developed or something even stronger than that, to be used, solely for files uploaded to the cloud, or stuff similar,

But other than that, more than often, you are likely right, even by my thought process.

Anywho, more two cents of mine...

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

You know: There is no cloud, just other people's computers!

That sentence demonstrates very good the essential problem: The "internet" is of NO solution. And talking about: I think it would be better to cut the rope for different services and so-called remote storage complete instead developing more illusions like "safer encryption". It is for sure an illusion as the data is NOT in reach. Different services like those anti-social platforms brought even more problems. And even Wikipedia has its problems, being not fully free, independent and emancipated for inclusion. Again: Do I think this kind of "internet" should be developed further? No, absolutely not. Building on top from all of that is no solution, only a big problem.

Saving data locally, making mirrors of what is needed and stop trusting anything being there "forever". Emancipation is not working without trust, but not on the "other people's computers". You cannot hope for "next cool development in encryption" all-time. Better to use what is there and not trust into some services. Besides the "internet" is also about much egoism: People want that storage only because of convinience again, not for any further solutions. Just past a day Twitter was bought from another person with interest making that some so-called "place for freedom of speech". We all know what is really meant: Insulting others, do whatever is wanted without some consequences. But there are and will be consequences as there is no freedom without responsibility. Same as with the illusion of remote data stored: There are consequences and no encryption can make it revereted. It is just that: The convinience and egoism going full ahead as long as people are not willing that we all can provide a solution with insights, helping and understanding. With searching for next technical enhancements there won't be any solution, just more of the same.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You know: There is no cloud, just other people's computers!

That sentence demonstrates very good the essential problem: The "internet" is of NO solution. And talking about: I think it would be better to cut the rope for different services and so-called remote storage complete instead developing more illusions like "safer encryption". It is for sure an illusion as the data is NOT in reach. Different services like those anti-social platforms brought even more problems. And even Wikipedia has its problems, being not fully free, independent and emancipated for inclusion. Again: Do I think this kind of "internet" should be developed further? No, absolutely not. Building on top from all of that is no solution, only a big problem.

Saving data locally, making mirrors of what is needed and stop trusting anything being there "forever". Emancipation is not working without trust, but not on the "other people's computers". You cannot hope for "next cool development in encryption" all-time. Better to use what is there and not trust into some services. Besides the "internet" is also about much egoism: People want that storage only because of convinience again, not for any further solutions. Just past a day Twitter was bought from another person with interest making that some so-called "place for freedom of speech". We all know what is really meant: Insulting others, do whatever is wanted without some consequences. But there are and will be consequences as there is no freedom without responsibility. Same as with the illusion of remote data stored: There are consequences and no encryption can make it revereted. It is just that: The convinience and egoism going full ahead as long as people are not willing that we all can provide a solution with insights, helping and understanding. With searching for next technical enhancements there won't be any solution, just more of the same.

Here is a better idea, push the web back to when it was not dependant on so much corporate crap, aka, maybe prior to 3.0?

Unlikely, but its better than what it is now.

That being said, alot of what you said seems to be true now, I very much hope that the newer generations will do something about these "pigs"

Think animal farm, after snowball is chased off the farm...

Hmm, depends: The story from Orwell wants to teach something more about the sides we choose as we may have a choice. We can choose to be on the egoistic side. But this is for a price as we take the choice of others away. Or we choose way different: A decision for inclusion and using own privileges to get others protected and then out of misery and danger. But this were different times back. The generic to be told is nevertheless the same today: Don't let it come to the point where only revenge is important.

It is strange that also 1984 was found only relevant in some points as the so-called "Big Brother" is decared and used, but not the further lesson coming out. Orwell warned about many things, but most about the point when we loose the basic thoughts of empathy and solidarity. It is the point to answer with Nietzsche:

Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.

So the ignorance is a problem and perhaps we should not forget that all humans were children once. We should preserve the prespective from that in my point of view. Looking at the world with big eyes and discover wonders within an utopian fantasy: Being believable for remembering that!
No one knows hatred from the beginning, no one knows greed and ignorance. We are taught that ways later on and we should remember that those are not important. Building societies onto only that is a failure. Free culture is for me speaking the child's perspective of an ideal picture and to give hands with kindness and in combination with strict, straight values for respect and empathy. Doing harm onto that vaues means also going the opposite way for ignorance. And yes: That means also sometimes to exclude and be very hard onto those parts, but without any further need to go after either individuals or groups.

throgh wrote:

Hmm, depends: The story from Orwell wants to teach something more about the sides we choose as we may have a choice. We can choose to be on the egoistic side. But this is for a price as we take the choice of others away. Or we choose way different: A decision for inclusion and using own privileges to get others protected and then out of misery and danger. But this were different times back. The generic to be told is nevertheless the same today: Don't let it come to the point where only revenge is important.

It is strange that also 1984 was found only relevant in some points as the so-called "Big Brother" is decared and used, but not the further lesson coming out. Orwell warned about many things, but most about the point when we loose the basic thoughts of empathy and solidarity. It is the point to answer with Nietzsche:

Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.

So the ignorance is a problem and perhaps we should not forget that all humans were children once. We should preserve the prespective from that in my point of view. Looking at the world with big eyes and discover wonders within an utopian fantasy: Being believable for remembering that!
No one knows hatred from the beginning, no one knows greed and ignorance. We are taught that ways later on and we should remember that those are not important. Building societies onto only that is a failure. Free culture is for me speaking the child's perspective of an ideal picture and to give hands with kindness and in combination with strict, straight values for respect and empathy. Doing harm onto that vaues means also going the opposite way for ignorance. And yes: That means also sometimes to exclude and be very hard onto those parts, but without any further need to go after either individuals or groups.

Just one problem with not chasing off the "pigs"

They still need to be dealt with one way or another, otherwise, they will deal with us it seems... just judging by history...

When you deal with them, you don't need to kill them but they do need to be stripped off their power to be in government. Aka, those who participated in such atrocities, etc...

Of course, redemption is possible for some probably, but you kind of need to have to have people show them to have changed prior... and not just a few mind you, but the multitude at large, meaning like a massive amount of people. Btw, that is yet another reason, I dislike them, they have forgotten their child side, well... the better part of their child side and in some cases, some never had one to begin with...
Why else did they ruin the way television operated, declawing the fairness doctorine so that it had very little power, meaning you didn't have to provide a different side from each side as a law...  this is why fox news began to get powerful in America... I have strong words for the person who did this, but I will just by call him by name: Ronald Reagan...

Basically, the more power that censorship has over different outlets, the more they will keep pushing till they get everything they think they want.

There is  a character in starcraft called Mengsk, who while fighting monsters becomes one himself prior to the brood war expansion

So yes, what you say is true,  regarding being careful not to become the abyss yourself while fighting the abyss...

And obviously darth vader as well, etc, etc...

Long story short though,  with each step you allow them to take, without some kind of punishment, you move closer towards surrendering to them, whether people know it or not...

Deportation and exectuion should be if at all absolute last resort type judgments, that being said, until the police are defanged from situations that do not require cops, aka, things that can be settled peacefully without anyone with a gun who could potentially make things massively worse, then one of three things will happen, the cops do insane stuff and punish the innocent, or you have them tried for their crimes and if these things don't happen, a civil war or worse is beyomd the hill...
That being said, mental institutions need to be used way more to deal with these violent extremists.
Obviously not asylum level ones, supposedly, those are torture, which I had not previously known...

But Reagan getting rid of  as much of them as he could, aka... mental health stuff as possible, was like going from one extreme to the other...

Although at this point, it makes more sense than ever before...

It seems like they know they can manipulate these people very easily into voting for them, so yeah... good strategy for them albeit mega evil, but with one flaw, they overlooked:

The more you divide a country, this way, the more likely the country will either A:  revolt on you and try to get rid of you, etc...

or B: they will weaken the country to the point, that other countries can deal with them and be removed that way.

So one way or another, evil can very often destroy itself if not careful... however it only happens this way if, evil's own action's backfire on them, which doesn't happen by good people being reckless.

It happens when they go beyond a specific point, that makes everyone unwilling to take it lying down any longer, or they basically self-destruct...

With everything being said, I would rather the majority of them change their evil ways and the ones manipulating them be dealt with in some way, even if it means the unthinkable...

I would very much prefer though that they be put in prison for what they did and obviously a sentence equal to their crimes and one that also has a robin hood effect on the money they stole.

Also, btw, you may not have heard of black wall street, some black families were rich at one point, but they were killed, their wealth stolen and obviously never returned, etc...

To this day, their families have still not recieved what was stolen back yet, etc...

So, yeah...

I very much think in some cases their crimes demand harsher punishments than what you may think.

Especially, because they are still doing the same crap to this day.

As a rule of thumb, justice has to be firm yet not cruel.

At this point, a rare situation may have happened that causes this rule to need to broken though, in my opinion...

If black people tried to start an insurrection on janurary 6th, they'd be mowed down and blood everywhere.

Long story short, pick a lane...

if you cannot punish people of similar races the same, get the bleep out of our government and go to some country that has dictatorship already, since most people don't want this in a free society.

Ironic given USA has had racism for an extremely long time, I know...

But... yeah, if it wasn't free before, it is bordering on falling into fascism now...

I would begin then with another quote:

You cannot fight some declared evil without becoming its next descendant, when you are not reflecting yourself.

The point being about that is our all decision. Democratic values are very, very sensible and they are very harmed even now while we are talking, for sure. The generic problem is to recognize ignorance. And yes, the word is like a red blinking light here in this thread.

zapper wrote:

Just one problem with not chasing off the "pigs"

They are the same human as you and me. That's the reasoning of the story behind "Animal Farm": The roles and their understanding. I think it is better to break through that roleset and completely try to remove it. That's the reasoning behind a statment like "No borders, no countries." as those borders are also in our heads and there is so much more coming: Mentioned before no one has an understanding of hatred right from the beginning. It is part of our social construct to learn that and the mechanisms behind. Hate is marked as the opposite of love and therefore one of the extreme emotions we have as beings. Should we hate? Not at all. But what to do with the mechanism we have learned and how can we overcome that? Because that's the essential question. For me answering: Better to describe and criticize the point being instead of individuals. Better to warn for problems in society, always be aware about dangers going on, risks on the move like groups of people against democratic values. Sometimes they don't even recognize that and it would be the easiest way. Most not. But there are so many stories and warnings also with the essential question: Who is watching the watchers? So whenever I have that question in mind I should remind myself also that I can describe and watch, but I'm not alone and that is what we two are doing here: We are in a discussion. The essential key element we need even more on our nice planet.

zapper wrote:

Also, btw, you may not have heard of black wall street, some black families were rich at one point, but they were killed, their wealth stolen and obviously never returned, etc...

To this day, their families have still not recieved what was stolen back yet, etc...

There is the point: One SORRY is never enough for all the cruel deeds and harm done. I know that those in beginning of the quote are only examples, but why not completely removing the "wall street" instead of creating new ones? Making people even, that what we all are right from the beginning and that what we always will be. See, the point about fascism being that hard to be recognized is: There is so much being mixed into. It is a pure right ideology in the making, but never standing still and the key element to go against its movement is the democratic discussion. Recognize problems, harsh thoughts and more. Therefore the quote from the beginning, therefore all the postings before. Criticism is always needed, but this alone is hard enough when being rejected. And our global society is not aware of the problems, rejecting already. When we underline criticism with comparisons from literature, that's one point. But another using ironic names or stating comparisons like "pigs" always. The meant criticism is not only ignored, it is than used as example why no need to be listened. The individual, the group or others go than more with a bitter taste, but not without recognizing the problems and explanations. They are just left there. Next time the criticism will be even more harsh and hard, to be repeated as long as possible leaving in enedless circles. Breaking through only with self reflection, explanations or going more into the abyss mentioned. Ignorance is not only there, it is also learned: Either from the beginning or through those vicious circles.

To be honest, it is getting towards the point of no return already as far as the climate is concerned, etc, etc...

People are loco, right now.

Hmm, then let's have this thread here lighten up. smile By means: Always have a slight candle glowing whenever possible and so you are invited the same to share thoughts, discuss and reflect as everyone else here for being believable. As sometimes we need to believe in ourself for a better tomorrow. Even as Elon Musk bought Twitter for now and people are right again onto selecting other ways: The question is like before ... do we really need those platforms like Twitter or Mastodon? Or is the more essential question: Was our way to communicate destroyed long before? By reducing information far beyond being full for sense. By concentrating either the data on one platform or having the data shared between different instances. Either way: We have lost control and nevertheless democratic participation is needed more than ever before.

As you have noted: Going back for a step further is better. wink
The "absolute freedom of speech" as Elon Musk is now spreading for his so-called plans will have people surpressed even more, when they have no voice and never had before, because they were ignored. Only hearing out the loudest and harshest voices is a way for being cruel, not for freedom. I hope the people will see that one day, before it is too late.

And to all the people out there calling for "freedom" and "free speech": Learn first your own part about responsibility. You cannot open the box of pandora and afterwards being surprised about the outcome. Reflect your own privileges and use wise for protecting others, not only yourself.

And as a reminder for all people out there stating the so-called "alternatives" like micro- or macro-blogging made decentralized: Neither Diaspora nor Mastodon are clear and possible platforms. There are enough examples full with racism, sexism, ableism, antisemitism or even pure fascism. And most time administrators of instances neither cares nor do something for real about it. You think the centralized platforms are a problem, dear reader? Think again: There is no possible alternative as the decentralized are the same, even worse in some cases.

Yes, Hyperbola has an account, but nevertheless: Personally I would prefer not having any relation. When people want information, they can come here and take part, be active and not clicking on some virtual marks for "like". Same mechanisms, not more and not of any help for communication.

Simplified and shortened messages are just more of the same known paradigm: They are marketing and most the time with very bad consequences. So first things first here right now for that posting: You are not breaking any kind of so-called chains with any GNU/Linux. Even though many of them are more of the known convinience and just to count some: Mixing free and clear non-free packages together? No clear licenses called within the packages distributed? Making foul compromises for having the users not to choose what they want to install or not?

So you are changing not for sure something when you go out for pragmatic choices. Instead you are following foul marketing with shortened and simplified phrases. Nothing for being believable! Using the chance again to underline the difference: Mastodon told once being a difference and using a different take. But is there a real chance? Well, in the end the clear answer is just NO. As long as that is marked as kind of hobby or collecting experiences with administration people will stick towards values of free culture at all. But guess what: There are enough people now calling out for companies taking part and going further. So either this is just another failed wave of people coming by for a short visit or that kind of chance for real social interaction without pure materialism and capitalism is long forgotten at this point. You see here also: We will never solve social problems throughout technology. Not possible at all and same way as Linux (without GNU) other projects are going to fail because we humans have not learned that economy and numbers are not of highest value and greed is only destroying instead of creating. But we'll see about that all soon enough and for the moment people are counting again their "followers" on Mastodon! Brave new world of the copycat-services, not within technology-stack but within people not understanding they will ruin everything without learning or thinking, just taking their whole learned nonsense from one service to another and so the vicious circle will never end.

And what is going on the platforms? Daily as usual: People taking screenshots, fingerpointing at each other and while that is going further, others embrace hatred and pure cruel harassment, driving the global society towards more. Congratulations, a brave new world. Perhaps reading Aldous Huxley again would help?

Be aware about the coming development especially from the false promise of the so-called "Web 3.0". First things first: There is nothing like trustlessness! If you don't trust within others, well okay. But our whole social living is build upon trust per definition. So trust is not a bug like the growing paranoia within "Web 3.0" is claiming, it is a feature. It is a feature where we have build upon structures around: You don't want to trust others giving your hardware-specifications to them? Okay, that's your decision. But why do you trust even the basic code or a package being provided on top of that code? How can you be sure it was really build from that code? You see: There is nothing wrong about being critical, but there is for sure very much wrong just believing into some narratives without roots into our reality. We need to trust more into each other, but we also need to act on top of facts and science. Stop calling out for more "progress" without any sense or the belief into some construct like "Web 3.0". Being believable is also about trust and not about toxic promises!

If you think you need full trustlessness, if you want to build such systems, you will see very fast that there will be more than that. Not only mistrust, as people act even more just within egoistic perspectives. You cannot build any social skill, any kind of social interaction on top of that. We will end therefore within dystopian perspectives, when we follow that course for sure. So better stay away from that, even from that ideas or talking points. There is nothing to reach within: Bringing the people together? With "mistrust"? Come on! You don't believe me? Well, let's look on some notes of the "Web 3.0"-people around:

• decentralized

• transparent

• no censorship

• my data is owned by me

• selfhosting

You see those points within the list are for sure the one being part of many other lists in one form or another. We all need to step up and get down that upcoming narrative using those points, better to call that misuse. And they are for sure not used in the correct way, instead being part of false and toxic promises. We should not give up our will to create those points and fill them. It seems the opposite for now: Full grown up and strange ideas lost in some spaces, with some belief any kind of "market is doing the right thing". Well? We should all know better. There no "market" doing anything and the "state" being the so-called enemy is where? On the ground reasoning: This would be a "we" and not someone else when talking about the base idea. So you think it is better to get away and start again? Life is not a game. And there is a point within any kind meaning responsibility. We cannot get away from our responsibility!

So the conclusion is Web.next = Web. Easy as that and complex at the same time. Repair it, go further and make it a better place. Being open and free for all, for participation and inclusion. Not exclusion as any "Come let's build a new one!" is going for. Yes, free and libre soft- and hardware can be done within forks. But we have only ONE society living together, we have ONE planet to live onto. If we go for and ruin all of that, we ruin everything. We need a free culture and ideas, not new projects for strange libertarian nonsense going at full speed against the wall with false narratives.

You want some ideas? Well call it for:

• together for empathy

• together against lies and harassments

• together with ideas and more lightweight approaches

It is not that you will find the "full and final solution" right here. It depends on all of us to question that and not accepting it because it sounds so "nice". wink
Technical emancipation is one key-element for all of that, but there is more: Why do you think it is "okay" going further with "Copyright" instead of "Copyleft"? Free culture cannot persist without the right to copy and modify, including for sure the respect for each other - in that mode please don't call for some "meme-culture" as it is for sure not correct to make fun of stills taken from any video where you have some expressions of people or figures setting them in any context someone wants (call it therefore NOT "free culture" and only harassment). Your device, your data and your rules. For sure but not with ignoring social skills.

What is the purpose of information technology? Included are hard- and software. Making it easier all along for people to get on information? Yes, sure. But also to be in full control HOW to get and save information. Seriously to tell: We have missed the point right now and personally I am ashamed that IT (shortform for "information technology") has caused so much damage that it looks like being beyond to repair. What is the meaning of this?

First things first: The internet was a nice tryout but is now more or less just a corporate network. The known developments like "cryptocurrencies" or "decentralized platforms" are nothing more than a big lie and betrayal of ourselves. What do we want to build on top? Systems consuming so much more energy that they cause more harm onto our environment and climate? And please: Stop using excuses for "cryptocurrencies". There is enough approval that those are of no use at all. You want a better future for all beings on earth? Think other ways not those. The communities within "cryptocurrencies" being approved of absolutely toxic and harmful towards different groups of beings, making disgusting jokes out of people, insulting them or even go further with harassment.

The global network was a nice tryout for independent and free thoughts once but corporate thoughts and more centralization than ever before destroyed that to the grounds. We have created our own dystopian vision of this now within the last years. It is not all alone some "evil masterplan". It is just that: We have missed the point. People did not care enough for free hard- and software.

Only a free and libre system could provide the first step toward technical emancipation. Not all alone the "internet" or free information-structures. But this point is also missed and messed up: People  acted and act careless for dependencies and even now "Linux" is going also beyond more ignoring essential problems: Rust and licensing? Unfree and closed firmware-blobs? Unfree platforms being part of essential desktop-environments and packages.

When you enter the global network with the interest to be active for "free and libre culture" you will for sure get into the spheres where others tell you Google, Amazon, Microsoft  and / or Apple have damaged and ruined everything. Surprise: They did not. They got the access to do that from all of us and by intention. Reasoning? Well, different ones. Some told "they have nothing to hide", others could not care less about as "they are not harmed directly". So many false reasonings with so less imagery for the whole damage. You think democratic always existed and can defend their existence on their own? You should see: Those values don't vanish directly, they do it slowly, step by step.

So in the end we all ruined the global network: With our selfish actions, with our attitude towards convinience, with all included. But we could do it the other way around. Instead of thinking for false activism: Engage in projects like Hyperbola. Try to embrace technical emancipation. Yes, there is time to be used for learning. But in th end? You can support and help, you are able to support your points and help others to get there also. The mobile devices are of no usage because they are no solution and will never be free. And modern hardware? Going the same way as "golden cage" because of all the mentioned points before. The so-called easy "applications", online platforms and online-shops? Same as how many parts we want to ruin more? It is all connected with our convinience, our way to get data and information right ahead - with a payment also now more. And no: Streaming is also the same included. Paying for nothing, renting just a bit of time and others decide what is available and what not? How long do you think until that concept will be everywhere as many rent even "software" (software as a service) or rent some account to have access to gaming and get locked when renting is over. Software and information transported has to be free, has to be open and transparent. For all to learn. Otherwise this is just a "corporate progress", but not for the democractic society. And capitalism will use everything to get even more "profit", also fascists ideologies, so don't fool yourself with "I have nothing to do with that". I have, you have and we all have for being believable. And remember: Stop running behind cheap lies like "Open-source builds better business" as "business" never understand values like ethics or human rights. It is just about "profit", nothing more and nothing less.

What is wrong with all the known (anti-)social platforms and especially the ones simulating something like being "open, free and libre"? Well a good summary to be delivered just directly from Mastodon itself: https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2022/06/m … g-updates/

Yes, a project can have a logo, a title, something to recognize that. But when we go deeper we enter very fast the known false promises with so-called "branding style-guide" and so on. Guess what? The jump is not far away towards to forbid forks using "official branding styles". And that's the problem: Using the same false promises, the same lies. What to change? Mastodon, Diaspora and others have exactly the same problems like the closed-source platforms. The point about hatred and harassment is just this: There are some instances being wide more strict and giving more attention. But this does not change the overall problem, the overall usage of capitalistic and "corporate" promising included within. You want to make something different? Think again as others are here clearly showing they have NOT understood the point ("brand", "CEO" and so on). But hey: It is just that kind of "fluffy and nice" to use those words as they are common known. Well, there is the point: Yes, they are "common known" but this does not change the problem about jumping right next level when being ready. Free software, free culture is living and breathing from a culture of SHARING and this means also doing any kind of fork for changes whenever I like with respecting the licensing and rights of the creators before. But with this mindset we have now? Free and libre software is far more near to end its own existence. Imagine especially the problems with Rust and its licensing. What comes next for projects like those mentioned having "official branding"? Asking for every change, so forks need to ask if they can exist even quite a bit longer? It is just more regulation coming to the backdoor here, with some "fluffy wordings". It is NOT free and libre software, NOT free culture and especially NOT being believable.

And I have read the discussions about where people mention "not to be so salty about that". It is not about "being salty", it is about keeping up any kind of free culture where sharing is caring and there is a right to modify, to repair and more. With the concurrent mindset we will have no big jump before us and all is left for being broken right out of the box. Free software? Being there once, not any longer and please ask for permission. Free culture? Possible, but well the "Copyrights". And free hardware? Don't even think about it, never ask again and please use systems with foul compromises and just more promises to be broken soon enough. And when people don't want to participate on those "platforms"? There are many words people are called and all of them are not okay in any way. There is a right that you cannot be searched and found directly. The same right as people want to participate open, if they choose. But this does not make the others being less worthy, because they just participate in projects like Hyperbola or something, doing theirs and don't make something big callout. You are searching for attention? Okay, but please accept also that others don't and don't want to. And please take in your retrospective that life is also analogue, not completely digital and personally I hope this will stay long enough for a lifetime. Otherwise this Brave New World is nothing good and some of my words come for a warning: The path is set and it is not good for preservation and verification of information and conservation of data in any way and kind.

throgh wrote:

Hmm, then let's have this thread here lighten up. smile By means: Always have a slight candle glowing whenever possible and so you are invited the same to share thoughts, discuss and reflect as everyone else here for being believable. As sometimes we need to believe in ourself for a better tomorrow. Even as Elon Musk bought Twitter for now and people are right again onto selecting other ways: The question is like before ... do we really need those platforms like Twitter or Mastodon? Or is the more essential question: Was our way to communicate destroyed long before? By reducing information far beyond being full for sense. By concentrating either the data on one platform or having the data shared between different instances. Either way: We have lost control and nevertheless democratic participation is needed more than ever before.

As you have noted: Going back for a step further is better. wink
The "absolute freedom of speech" as Elon Musk is now spreading for his so-called plans will have people surpressed even more, when they have no voice and never had before, because they were ignored. Only hearing out the loudest and harshest voices is a way for being cruel, not for freedom. I hope the people will see that one day, before it is too late.

And to all the people out there calling for "freedom" and "free speech": Learn first your own part about responsibility. You cannot open the box of pandora and afterwards being surprised about the outcome. Reflect your own privileges and use wise for protecting others, not only yourself.

Haven't been responding to this thread for a while...

That being said, trying to whip up your base into a violent frenzy, using at least more than half of all speech as hate speech or misinformation, should get anyone's platform kicked off for a while... if your "moderators" are banning the people who are trying to put the truth out there and are being nonviolent, case in point, twitter,  facebook, odysee, bitchute, discord and stuff like it, should have gotten a permantent ban by now, for this and their clear lack of security and invading privacy constantly while making meaningless solutions and excuses.
Not to mention putting people in danger by not having people who spread misinformation about covid, aka, outright lies that either endanger other people or themselves, or both.
To be honest,, there probably is no solution with the current web...
Well...
Except of course, to ban the idiotic standards that got us to this place that those idiotic mega giant corporations have put in place.
Given the climate change in addition to endangerment of minorities and groups that are targetted already and the privacy issues in general...
It would be nice, if these mega giant corproations would be shutdown for good.
Google? get out of here man....
Microsoft? Yeah... no, we don't need your insecure idea of what is a web, besides you have proven time and time again that you get malware 10000x easier than google's phone devices even. So... yeah no.
The list is endless, but yeah...
Like you said before,  the current web is the problem.
Unless javascript and other frameworks that are bloated are banned from being forced down the world's throats... including crimeflare, then things seem to be a problem.

That being said,  it would be very helpful if mother nature could force the human race to destroy these data centers for fear of their lives.
Obviously not after we are at the point of no return, but like, within 10 years before we reach that point.

Its possible, that such a thing is further away then the human race scientists think it is, but its also possible that it might not be, or that it wouldn't matter because while the world and everything around it might survive and recover, human life could begin to fade away.

Now that the negative crap is said,

even Mastodon and stuff that is decentralized, has issues of similar stuff.

To be honest, it would be wise, if all social media websites restricted viewership of everything to everyone but members as a default instead of being auto available by default.

There are probably other default settings that need to be enforced/set too though, as a default. Aka, privacy is the DEFAULT, not the other way around!

My point being, there is definitely some ray of hope, but it does involve people coming to their senses. I do think it will happen eventually, even if it takes a while.

I only pray it happens sooner than later man.

266 (edited by zapper 2022-07-02 04:27:17)

Hmm... I wanted to respond to your last message first, but it seems you made a good point below....

This is exactly why privacy should be the default for at least 90% of services, if not 100% in general...

Yeah...

Just wondering, but does this thought you have apply to forums too?

Curious on your thoughts.

Btw, agree on cryptocurrencies, for many reasons, the main one being,  even if the servers need to be this bloated, every other computer using cryptocuirrencies, aka, trading it, etc...

Should be able to do so with minimal bloat.

Another words, only the servers would know how to add or delete the currencies. 

Which of course means that part would alas, not be free...

That  also being said, its for this reason, that cryptocurrencies will likely never work in any way shape or form, without being total crap.

sad

Btw as a final thought, you can say that there is no take over stuff happening, but that is actually false!

Are they getting this from manipulating people in general?
yes, they are.
But that doesn't mean that they aren't still even more guilty, for thinking they deserve everything under the sun.

Evil men do take over when good men do nothing, which is true.

But yeah, that still doesn't mean that the evil men aren't about ten thousand times more guilty.

Also, not all men are the mega guilty ones...
This is the order of guilt:

Control Freaks with no conscience who want to control everything and havet he worst intentions known to man: the worst
The Megalomaniacs who think they know what is right but are very misguided or who are willng to roll over on everything just so they can not be inconvienced at all and think everyone who opposes this idea are anti-social or paranoid = the next worst
Those who are afraid of #1 and #2 and do nothing
Those who are willing to do something in some way to fight them but not go too far
Those who are willng to fight more than just the above and actually remove a lot of crap in their airspace to make life harder for the top 2 terrible ones
Those who are willing to debloat and deproprietarize as much of their life as they can
I probably have the last 3 examples in some ways...
Those who go above and beyond to focus on security even if it means making their job extremely hard and messy = this is Hyperbola on many levels to be honest, but it is mega worth it.

These are what I would call the categories I most often see regarding this stuff, there is also probably at least one more, if not more, but anywho this one I am aware of also: where people are too ignorant to know what is going on, but would change stuff if they could

You can disagree with this list if you wish, or add stuff, modify it, etc...

But some of these do actually happen to be beliefs people hold, to some extent, in some combination or another.

Anywho, peace, gonna sleep!

It is the concept about responsibility and ignorance first. Also to state: Yes there are people with expanded search onto control and there are even more. Otherwise we would not talk about political and furthermore historical happenings without any doubt. But they are for sure no "freaks": They are part of what we are and capable to do. That's the point: We need to learn, study and accept those contexts.

- Words are powerful, a harmful language being used is damaging a social construct and therefore also the global society
- Shortened information result within absurd scenarios, whoever is doing that will also make others doing injustices

So the point to stop the vanishing of free and libre software? Listening, learning, especially discussion and doing the next steps. Personally this thread is part of the point discussion and retrospective. It is not the case to show "how bad others are", more about: Giving some thoughts. Therefore your thoughts are part of all, zapper. Same as for all others, but I would like to note that people should not be called "freaks". A bit more explanation: This results into taking away responsibilities and taking others like calling for a fascist being "mentally ill". That could not be more far away from the reality, when people doing that willingly. Humans can have for sure mental illness, but those individuals need our help. Fascists don't need help and we won't do any kind of favor towards people with mental problems mixing them into any kind of group. And when calling others "freaks" this is the same concept with the outcome they have nothing to do with a "normal situation". Also here: They have as they are the same kind human being as everyone else. Darkest and sinister thoughts, bad and cruel deeds can be done by everyone. I know that is hard and I don't want to blame anyone, but better to know about our darker sides, have respect (or being even afraid of in some situations) and than think how not doing harmful things. Also sidenote: We need for sure to differ betweeen fascism as pure ideology and authoritarians. We have enough words and explanation-models to make a difference what happenings and people are onto. Yes, very complex and much more than this thread here would be every capable to give as perspective. The reasoning here is also simple but straight: This is about giving and discussing information, for sure also politial and social development as free software and culture is combined and connected. But when we would go out trying to explain and discuss all the bad and harmful developments out in our world, we would do also some kind of shortening. So the best is: Choosing our words wise and trying to describe situations on point and as sharp as possible. smile (And better not use categories for describing living individuals.)

Nevertheless I think we won't do ourself any kind of favor with fingerpointing and more to take the happenings into our perspective. Because is just ignorance doing things with a bad outcome in the long run: https://news.itsfoss.com/linux-kernel-rust/

But while we are staying at the point ignorance: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … &num=1

I quote the framing used:

A Dream Come True: Running Coreboot On A Modern, Retail Desktop Motherboard

Is it a "dream"? Remember: Using hardware can and is ruining environment. It is not about energy-consumption alone: It is about materials being used for creating any kind of new board and part for computing. In combination with the growing speed every part is defined as "more useless" the damage is growing. You think you buy this one and can use it for years to come? Okay, maybe but that is depending also onto yourself. Will you be okay with the point or will you search then for "more" as others tell about newer parts and therefore hardware being "more free" (more out of the so-called dream)? There is a context between the ever on-going search and the never being fulfilled dream of "full free hardware", and of course more "power for computing" because simple websites uses that much memory nowadays being full with nonsense like videos, animations and more.

In summary: Coreboot alone does not make something really good and buying especially brand-new hardware is also to be seen more critical, when parts will be never capable for recycling. And Linux (without GNU) has broken the concept of using older hardware for many years to come also. You want to name problems? Java / OpenJDK, Rust, NodeJS (and resulting electron) and yes also newer technologies like Vulkan. Has Vulkan brought anything better as having nonfree gaming being better to run with nonfree libraries (Wine with nonfree additions) and nonfree platforms (Steam to name one)? The answer is easy but poor: Not really. And having even more implementations using only those technologies make it even more out of a problem because: How to use older hardware than?

And I am sure that it is for sure no problem to make a compromise so older hardware can be used not only longer. We need to rethink that part completely. Bought such a "dream" gives also responsibility. When nobody wants that special board later on, what do you think about to do with it because the "web" and "services" demand newer hardare (more encryption, more capabilities and the never-ending illusion about "progression")? The answer is: We are responsible for the parts we have bought because the companies produced that just count in numbers. What you do with any kind of product later on is your decision, but remember you need the illusion to consume. The opposite should be part of our thoughts: Stopping the endless consume! The more lightweight the system, the better the opportunities for hardware saving power for something different.

When talking about "right to repair" and "everyone has the right for free information" those phrases contain in between a bitter sarcasm: Do we really want to make that possible? I would gladly anser with YES, but again: Is our global society made up onto capitalism ready for the consequences and questions? Because as already mentioned: We have confront ourselves with essential questions about not having the possibility any longer to access all at the same time. The reasoning therefore are so direct complex that it is not possible to list them all, but perhaps food for thoughts to come:

- Numbers of servers growing with people want to consume more "entertainment" and corresponding platforms provide the promise for them?
- Illusions being told for years now that any kind of "cloud"-computing brings up better possibilities?
- Sharing information at any time, ordering products and services resulting again in even more infrastructure?

And we think to overcome that with even more modern hardware and telling us fairytales about "saving energy-costs"? Sorry, but that's just green-washing. When you order a modern graphicscard for any kind of desktop-computer: You need even a separate power-supply nowadays. But hey? Apple and others promise to overcome that with alternative architectures, isn't that a thing? Maybe, but may I ask this, please? Are those really free and libre hardware or do you get a closed box like a so-called "golden cage"? And then what? Neverending fights to get more freedom while we can have it right and right now, but for sure with essential questions like: What is important for us? When we answer that with "free culture and free sharing of information to verify them for a better future": We have to recall that there is a need to address also renunciation at many levels.

But this is not only up to me: It is an essential question for all of us, but the discussions needs a start and we have not started. What are we waiting for? That the climate-crisis is vanishing of its own? That failing of democracy throughout growing demagogy and definite lies will be solved on its own? That essential questions can be answered from "someone else"? Well sorry to say, but that "someone else" will also decide more and perhaps we won't be happy about it. So standing up for fairness, for empathy and solidarity, for science and facts, for democracy and more for being believable and stop searching for false promises, running behind some foul stories being told. Remember: There is no cloud, just other people's computers. And people telling that non-free systems on devices or compromises to be made just telling you anything else, but nothing about free culture and free soft- / hardware.

We should talk about politics in general also and never loose the focus onto that: What do we need most? Strong leadership? For sure not: We need politics and politicians being full of integrity and with an elementary understatement for moral and ethics first. For sure we need than also politicians understanding the concept of "capitalistic" processes and that those are of no help. In fact: Where is the point of help from those telling always "where would we have been without the companies"? When people suffer and die literally out of missing medical treatment? When food has gone missing? When there is no further supply?

And than what? Making contracts being nothing more than the a black page because you don't know what you have done with all the additions and given rights to companies doing whatever they want. As always said: That's not part of any "evil masterplan". It is just short handling and ignorance. The one side says nothing to the other and around. Reasoning? One side want a fast solution, the other is giving that but without any warranties and because nobody has read through or is asking questions or showing that parts to all this is going for sure bad. I don't say to understand all parts complete, but what is the conclusion finally? Well, a warning first: The more people think politics are bad and politicians are weak the more the simple mind of us humans think about one "strong leader". We should know better because history and all concurrent events telling us the opposite. Democracy is sensible and not made for single-sided power. But there would be a chance also: Thinking about free culture with free flow of information. We need that for sure, the same as a good story to believe in. Otherwise things like technical emancipation are not only out of reach, they are far away in another universe. And don't fool yourself: The phrase "good story" means for sure no illusions, no foul compromises.

You remember the first scenes from the movie "2001"? Remember the angry apes murdering? Remember that we all are descendants from those. We should always remember that, but we don't have to be mean, don't have to be angry. Our strength is to be more like that as a "good story" is including empathy, solidarity and kindness.

Coming up to the all and good known phrase: "Where would we have been without the companies?"

It is just another foul compromise and slogan from people thinking it would work to combine free culture with groun ideas of capitalism. Well, we now can already see: Not working and won't work at all. And it is just that: Just because we have left empty spaces as being not interested enough gave companies the chance to fill them. We should not betray our own and deny own egoism with those repeated false sentences. Where would we have been without the companies? Well, at another point for sure. Perhaps we would not even talk about "vendor lock-in", we would not even talk about non-free firmware-blobs. Yes, maybe the kernel for GNU/Linux would be not at that point as it today? But who knows: Not happened that way and enough companies have discovered talking about "GNU/Linux" without even doing anything - yes, I mean especially you also, Adobe. Others do something, but in fact they would better work on their own fork at all instead ruining free software and culture in a whole. In summary: Being believable is not working like that.

273 (edited by Librecat2 2022-07-10 22:04:58)

throgh wrote:

But while we are staying at the point ignorance: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … &num=1

I quote the framing used:

A Dream Come True: Running Coreboot On A Modern, Retail Desktop Motherboard

Is it a "dream"? Remember: Using hardware can and is ruining environment. It is not about energy-consumption alone: It is about materials being used for creating any kind of new board and part for computing. In combination with the growing speed every part is defined as "more useless" the damage is growing. You think you buy this one and can use it for years to come? Okay, maybe but that is depending also onto yourself. Will you be okay with the point or will you search then for "more" as others tell about newer parts and therefore hardware being "more free" (more out of the so-called dream)? There is a context between the ever on-going search and the never being fulfilled dream of "full free hardware", and of course more "power for computing" because simple websites uses that much memory nowadays being full with nonsense like videos, animations and more.

In summary: Coreboot alone does not make something really good and buying especially brand-new hardware is also to be seen more critical, when parts will be never capable for recycling. And Linux (without GNU) has broken the concept of using older hardware for many years to come also. You want to name problems? Java / OpenJDK, Rust, NodeJS (and resulting electron) and yes also newer technologies like Vulkan. Has Vulkan brought anything better as having nonfree gaming being better to run with nonfree libraries (Wine with nonfree additions) and nonfree platforms (Steam to name one)? The answer is easy but poor: Not really. And having even more implementations using only those technologies make it even more out of a problem because: How to use older hardware than?

And I am sure that it is for sure no problem to make a compromise so older hardware can be used not only longer. We need to rethink that part completely. Bought such a "dream" gives also responsibility. When nobody wants that special board later on, what do you think about to do with it because the "web" and "services" demand newer hardare (more encryption, more capabilities and the never-ending illusion about "progression")? The answer is: We are responsible for the parts we have bought because the companies produced that just count in numbers. What you do with any kind of product later on is your decision, but remember you need the illusion to consume. The opposite should be part of our thoughts: Stopping the endless consume! The more lightweight the system, the better the opportunities for hardware saving power for something different.

While it is dissapointing that this is a shiny new board and not something we already own this advancement will make show more people about coreboot and increase aweareness of atleast partially open firmware solutions. The sad reality is most people are in between a core 2 duo and a shiny new alder lake and can't use coreboot like me. I deeply thank Hyperbola for being so motivated for keeping the system as minimal and fast as possible despite all the odds
EDIT: NVIDIA Open Kernel Modules only support 3000 or newer cards again forcing you to throw out hardware to get something that isn't even fully free

Librecat2 wrote:

While it is dissapointing that this is a shiny new board and not something we already own this advancement will make show more people about coreboot and increase aweareness of atleast partially open firmware solutions. The sad reality is most people are in between a core 2 duo and a shiny new alder lake and can't use coreboot like me. I deeply thank Hyperbola for being so motivated for keeping the system as minimal and fast as possible despite all the odds
EDIT: NVIDIA Open Kernel Modules only support 3000 or newer cards again forcing you to throw out hardware to get something that isn't even fully free

Again the point from Nvidia? That's hard especially because they could just offer the code for all older generations and so giving back to the people. But that's just the point about "open-source": The illusion of giving something "open" and "free", while it is just the opposite. Thanks for that hint.

People being more pragmatic about free and libre soft- and hardware should understand one elemental part: It is for sure their right to do as they want and therefore use what they want. But they should think about the consequences: Talking about "ultimate freedom" does not fit here any longer. You think that by using Steam you make anything better for all? Come on, you can do better and don't misguide your own egocentric perspective here. You just want convinience, a client-software thinking and managing as you like because you don't want to bother. Okay, so do as you wish. But the point: You reduce the possibilities for all others around. When reading about "Gaming" the most keywords to read are "Steam" and "SteamOS". There is no further point, just that. Yes, you can ignore the growing problem of vendor lock-in for the upcoming time, for years to come. But remember this: There will be a point where you will recognize the boundaries you have caused with your own attitude here. The freedom of "free and libre software", the "free culture" being reduced? That is part of your ignorance. For sure not the whole one, but you guess: A major part. Why do you want projects like SuperTuxKart being included within a non-free platform? Just for your own excuse for convinience, nothing more. Same for many others and because projects live also being recognized, they follow those false attitude. Again: A free and libre licensed project included within a completely non-free platform and service. Sounds like a bad joke, but it is the harsh reality. But hey: The same excuse can be other way around with flatpak and the inclusion of different non-free software onto a generic free and libre service. But perhaps I am misguided here and "corporate open-source" is just the new way?

Please stop that kind of self-betraying here. There is a surely made difference between "open-source" and "free software. And that is made for a reason!