Topic: Questions about using remote virtual machines

What I've been having in mind, inspired from some old posts I read here, for my ideal setup is that I'd have a PC tower running a Xen virtual machine server I can remotely access with my laptop and do all my online activity (browsing, email, torrenting, shopping, you name it) on VM's I'd copy into the servers RAMdisk and erase or reboot the server every session to mitigate any traces.

While I'm saving up to invest in this setup, please permit me these noob-ish questions.
-What open-source software can I use on HyperbolaBSD/OpenBSD to run Xen-based virtual machines?
-Does this software allow me to remotely access my VM's from another computer or is there a way I can remotely
access the server machine full stop?
-When running a remote VM, will it solely draw resources (i.e. CPU and RAM) from the server machine without affecting
the machine I'm using to remotely access the server?
Like could I use a measly 4GB laptop to remotely run a 16GB VM on a 32 GB server for example?

Thanks.

Re: Questions about using remote virtual machines

burhen42 wrote:

What I've been having in mind, inspired from some old posts I read here, for my ideal setup is that I'd have a PC tower running a Xen virtual machine server I can remotely access with my laptop and do all my online activity (browsing, email, torrenting, shopping, you name it) on VM's I'd copy into the servers RAMdisk and erase or reboot the server every session to mitigate any traces.

While I'm saving up to invest in this setup, please permit me these noob-ish questions.
-What open-source software can I use on HyperbolaBSD/OpenBSD to run Xen-based virtual machines?
-Does this software allow me to remotely access my VM's from another computer or is there a way I can remotely
access the server machine full stop?
-When running a remote VM, will it solely draw resources (i.e. CPU and RAM) from the server machine without affecting
the machine I'm using to remotely access the server?
Like could I use a measly 4GB laptop to remotely run a 16GB VM on a 32 GB server for example?

Thanks.

I think Hyperbola will probably have qemu, for starters, including the BSD version whenever HyperbolaBSD goes stable...

Although it may have beta packages not long after that, not sure...
o
As for the the remote issue, even when I don't add wifi commands to qemu, I have no problem connecting to the internet, so no problems should exist if you use that. As for Xen? Never used it successfully, in any OS. Haven't tried enough though either, so don't quote me and expect any clear logic behind whether Xen would work or not. xD

Running a remote VM however, shouldn't require  even 16GB of ram, unless your server is beyond bloated or you are doing a lot of intense stuff.

Though I was going to say something more, it seems I didn't fully read your message, so I erased a bunch of stuff,

All of that sounds fine, with one sole exception:

>>>Torrenting

That will be the downfall of such an idea if anything lol... unless you use too much ram for the VM, which also can be an issue.

If I had to guess, you need something faster then ivy bridge possibly even dual core... to do all that and something with at least 8GB of ram.

Although, feel free to get a second opinion, I haven't done anything on a remote server since a long time ago, back when I used a remote VM, a hell of a long time ago.  When I used an x200 with 8GB of ram, the issue was the cpu and it overheated when I even loaded firefox, last I checked, via the server.

Hope this helps!

Anyone else can jump in if they want, its possible my memory is foggy on this.

Anywho, peace all!

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!