1 (edited by brudda1 2022-08-24 19:17:42)

Topic: Issue with touchpad

Hello. I have a T400 thinkpad with libreboot. On the most recent version of Hyperbola I am unable to get my touchpad to work at all on Xenocara. Trackpoint works just fine. Heres what I have tried.
I've tried with https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/?na … nput-evdev and this is the output of

grep -e "Using input driver " Xorg.0.log 
[    42.284] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[    42.285] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[    42.285] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Sleep Button'
[    42.286] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Integrated Camera: Integrated C'
[    42.287] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[    42.288] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[    42.289] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint'
[    42.291] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'ThinkPad Extra Buttons'

I've also tried with  https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … synaptics/  and the output was the same.

Finally, I tried with this package https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x8 … synaptics/ because when I used Parabola the touchpad worked fine and this is the driver used by parabola (I think). This is the corresponding output:

[   106.717] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[   106.717] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[   106.718] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Sleep Button'
[   106.719] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Integrated Camera: Integrated C'
[   106.720] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[   106.723] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint'
[   106.725] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'ThinkPad Extra Buttons'

I think this is a bug either regarding Xenocara or the driver. I can't make an issue because I currently can't make an account there.
Thanks for reading

Re: Issue with touchpad

Hello and welcome to the forums, first things first: We have no support of dbus, therefore our x-server needs a bit more work in details. So let's try to find a solution for the current problem. Can you first check the groups your local user is within?

You can use the group input for more access, especially for further devices. The command would be:

doas usermod -aG input [USERNAME]

Furthermore you would need to modify the touchpad so it is fully recognized. One possible example for the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-touchpad.conf:

ection "InputClass"
        Identifier      "laplet touchpad"
        MatchIsTouchpad "yes"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "ClickPad"              "yes"
#       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event19"
        Option          "HorizEdgeScroll"       "yes"
        Option          "LockedDrags"           "no"
        Option          "PalmDetect"            "yes"
        Option          "PalmMinWidth"          "8"
        Option          "PalmMinZ"              "100"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "TapButton1"            "1"
        Option          "TapButton2"            "3"
        Option          "TapButton3"            "2"
        Option          "TouchpadOff"           "0"
        Option          "VertEdgeScroll"        "yes"
EndSection

Yes, dbus and other bloated Linux-only frameworks do that work for you without further configuration. That's the price for minimalism Hyperbola is using.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

That configuration file worked like a charm! Thank you very much.

Thanks for the feedback. Have much fun with your system and please, come anytime here back: For discussions, information or surely more questions. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!