Re: When firefox-esr 60.0 comes out,

Thank you, Emulatorman.

I feel safe trusting you devs for now and am relieved that the greater issues with Mozilla are being adressed instead of ignored.

Both Netsurf and Surf are in the reps. I was a bit confused when i installed both of them: javascript is all off by default on netsurf and all on by default with Surf. I use both of them as band-aid solutions if Iceweasel won't work for a particular task.

I'm looking forward to the psychological effect of having Hyperbola on every single one of my home computers and dust gathering on the Debian Stretch install in the back of my closet but I want to be able to thank healthy, well fed, reasonably sane people for making that possible when that time comes.

Please take good care of yourselves and thank you for letting us know what's going on.

Emulatorman wrote:

AFAIK Basilisk is a web browser made by the developers of the Pale Moon browser from MoonChild project. For now, we haven't an official release of Iceweasel based on Basilisk (iceweasel-uxp) until Tobin (one of Basilisk/Pale Moon devs) does the initial branding.

Wow! Is a very best news of the day.

I suggest Icemoon or FastWeb.

FastWeb is very good for marketing product. cool

28 (edited by Archetyp 2018-05-11 20:20:04)

I suggest Iceweasel or IceWeasel. wink

Archetyp wrote:

Iceweasel rebranded Basilisk

FastWeb or Icemoon rebranded Palemoon

pekman wrote:
Archetyp wrote:

We will use iceweasel-uxp (our version based on Basilisk that is a XUL-based web-browser demonstrating the Unified XUL Platform (UXP)) and iceweasel-goanna (our version based on Pale Moon that is a Goanna-based web browser) using UXP and Goanna as suffixes to differentiate them.

The reason about it is speed up the development procedure and minimize task for Tobin (one of main MoonChild devs) who will develop Iceweasel branding from scratch through an folder with source files to build from /applications like Basilisk and Pale Moon branding because he has a better experience than us. Even it is being made to we avoid troubles with MoonChild team related to trademarks since they let us know that our current Iceweasel parches contain trademark issues to be solved before fork their browsers.

noordinaryspider wrote:

Thank you, Emulatorman.

I feel safe trusting you devs for now and am relieved that the greater issues with Mozilla are being adressed instead of ignored.

Both Netsurf and Surf are in the reps. I was a bit confused when i installed both of them: javascript is all off by default on netsurf and all on by default with Surf. I use both of them as band-aid solutions if Iceweasel won't work for a particular task.

I'm looking forward to the psychological effect of having Hyperbola on every single one of my home computers and dust gathering on the Debian Stretch install in the back of my closet but I want to be able to thank healthy, well fed, reasonably sane people for making that possible when that time comes.

Please take good care of yourselves and thank you for letting us know what's going on.

You're welcome, i'm very happy to know about it. Thank you for support Hyperbola smile

Emulatorman wrote:
pekman wrote:
Archetyp wrote:

We will use iceweasel-uxp (our version based on Basilisk that is a XUL-based web-browser demonstrating the Unified XUL Platform (UXP)) and iceweasel-goanna (our version based on Pale Moon that is a Goanna-based web browser) using UXP and Goanna as suffixes to differentiate them.

The reason about it is speed up the development procedure and minimize task for Tobin (one of main MoonChild devs) who will develop Iceweasel branding from scratch through an folder with source files to build from /applications like Basilisk and Pale Moon branding because he has a better experience than us. Even it is being made to we avoid troubles with MoonChild team related to trademarks since they let us know that our current Iceweasel parches contain trademark issues to be solved before fork their browsers.

I've paid attention that Goanna is trademarked, so we will rename it as iceweasel-classic to avoid troubles with MoonChild devs.

Quick question, Is there a way, to continue supporting and updating these two addons for iceweasel-classic,

noscript, ublockorigin,

Only because noscript is such an essential piece to the browser that was firefox.

I checked and they have no plans to support updating these addons. (palemoon)

Can you give me assurance that noscript will be still supported and maintained in the hyperbola repo. and updated to be secure like the current one?

PS, everything else in this distro is excellent. This is the only problem I foresee.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Emulatorman wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:
pekman wrote:

I've paid attention that Goanna is trademarked, so we will rename it as iceweasel-classic to avoid troubles with MoonChild devs.

I have a simple question, which HTML rendering engine does iceweasel-uxp (Basilisk) use to display web pages?

Archetyp wrote:

I have a simple question, which HTML rendering engine does iceweasel-uxp (Basilisk) use to display web pages?

Citing from: http://basilisk-browser.org

"It is based on the Goanna layout and rendering engine (a fork of Gecko) and builds on the Unified XUL Platform (UXP), which in turn is a fork of the Mozilla code base without Servo or Rust."

Since Rust and Cargo are nonfree [0], it's another reason to avoid use new FF-based sources. smile

Emulatorman wrote:
Archetyp wrote:

"It is based on the Goanna layout and rendering engine (a fork of Gecko) and builds on the Unified XUL Platform (UXP), which in turn is a fork of the Mozilla code base without Servo or Rust."

Since Rust and Cargo are nonfree [0], it's another reason to avoid use new FF-based sources. smile

I never realized mozilla screwed up this bad...

oh well,

Last thought I have I guess, is, which addons can you continue to update to be as secure or more secure than the current quantum version(s)

I mentioned which ones are imperative to me I believe, Noscript obviously, ublock origin and privacy possum and finally, violentmonkey/httpseverywhere.

The last two I didn't add to any task because I don't want to overload you.  But yeah, tell me which ones your willing to support.

zapper wrote:

Quick question, Is there a way, to continue supporting and updating these two addons for iceweasel-classic,

noscript, ublockorigin,

Only because noscript is such an essential piece to the browser that was firefox.

I checked and they have no plans to support updating these addons. (palemoon)

Can you give me assurance that noscript will be still supported and maintained in the hyperbola repo. and updated to be secure like the current one?

PS, everything else in this distro is excellent. This is the only problem I foresee.

Since g4jc is doing the initial Iceweasel application for the Unified XUL Platform, he is implementing new features such as NoScript.

Now, i'm looking for a way to help him to implement overrides for chrome pages (eg. aboutRights, aboutCredits, etc.). If it works well and there aren't trademark issues (we need ask to Tobin about it first), then we will begin do it for iceweasel-classic too.

38 (edited by zapper 2018-05-14 14:52:03)

"Since g4jc is doing the initial Iceweasel application for the Unified XUL Platform, he is implementing new features such as NoScript.

Now, i'm looking for a way to help him to implement overrides for chrome pages (eg. aboutRights, aboutCredits, etc.). If it works well and there aren't trademark issues (we need ask to Tobin about it first), then we will begin do it for iceweasel-classic too."

Well, I wish you the best on this, I am just surprised other distros even the semi free software ones aren't ditching firefox based browsers.

Emulatorman wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:
pekman wrote:

That is a good point, I forgot about that.

40 (edited by Archetyp 2018-05-14 22:09:57)

Emulatorman wrote:
Archetyp wrote:

Thanks Emulatorman! smile

Richard Stallman has also spoken to Mozilla developers in the past, but each of his words was a word too much because they didn't want to understand him at all.

41 (edited by zapper 2018-05-15 00:31:54)

Archetyp wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:
Archetyp wrote:

Richard Stallman has also spoken to Mozilla developers in the past, but each of his words was a word too much because they didn't want to understand him at all.

I also told him about the programming language rust being non-free also. But I bet Emulatorman's words will hit home better. Given he has worked on parabola in the past...

Not that this changes anything, but I think I found a very strange way out of the rust problem. You can distribute modified rust with or without their permission, it just cannot be called: Rust

But yeah, as long as the important addons are supported it really isn't a problem to do it your way. For most users I think. Such as noscript and ublock origin as an example...

43 (edited by Archetyp 2018-05-15 08:58:40)

zapper wrote:
Archetyp wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:

I also told him about the programming language rust being non-free also. But I bet Emulatorman's words will hit home better. Given he has worked on parabola in the past...

You talked to rms?

I doubt our Emulatorman will speak to Mozilla developers because that would be pointless.

Archetyp wrote:
zapper wrote:
Archetyp wrote:

You talked to rms?

I doubt our Emulatorman will speak to Mozilla developers because that would be pointless.

No I meant, Emulatorman talking to Richard Stallman...

But meh it might not matter if mozilla paid no attention to Richard Stallman...

45 (edited by Archetyp 2018-06-15 10:30:26)

Our good iceweasel-uxp is approaching the home stretch. Hooray! \o/

Keeps legacy compatibility with classic addons format and allows maximum user customizability.
Provides a trademark free application for others to share and redistribute as they see fit.
One of the last browser applications on earth that has not subdued to Chromium engine monopoly.

Will a version based on Waterfox be packaged in the future? It seems to support both web and legacy extensions and also supports ALSA. It does suffer from many of Firefox's issues (ships with OpenH264, supports DRM, recommends non-free add-ons).

47 (edited by zapper 2018-08-16 21:19:31)

aloniv wrote:

Will a version based on Waterfox be packaged in the future? It seems to support both web and legacy extensions and also supports ALSA. It does suffer from many of Firefox's issues (ships with OpenH264, supports DRM, recommends non-free add-ons).

Don't think Hyperbola is supporting Waterfox or webext.

Though it is probably better off, due to security issues with webext.