1 (edited by auanta 2023-02-28 14:49:19)

Topic: [solved] Alsa: no sound

In theory, sound should work out of the box. But with my luck, I have this problem. No sound. Drivers are loaded, only 1 sound card to deal with (and it is correctly detected), alsa and sndiod are active and unmuted, and I can lower and raise the volume. But no sound. Except, when I plug in the headphones and do a speaker-test, I hear shhhhh like water/ocean noise. Also, my system is very minimal, it runs the basics and cwm.

rc.log says:

alsactl: unrecognized option '---'
Usage: alsactl <options> command

global options:
  -h,--help        this help
etc.....

*^O Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring
[ ok ]^O
*^O /run/sndiod: creating directory
*^O Starting sndiod ...
[ ok ]^O

~]$ rc-status
Runlevel: default
alsasound                                                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
keymaps                                                                                                                                                                 [  started  ]
sndiod                                                                                                                                                                  [  started  ]

I get mpv error when playing a youtube video and trying to skip ahead
[ao/alsa] Device underrun detected.
AV: 00:03:34 / 00:07:09 (50%) A-V: 11.062 Dropped: 755 Cache: 7.6s/4MB

i also installed fbpanel, and i get this related error when i run it:

volume: can't open /dev/mixer
HINT: Do you have ALSA-OSS emulation loaded?
HINT: Check out if you have 'snd-mixer-oss' kernel module loaded.
HINT: Or disable 'volume' plugin at ~/.config/fbpanel/default.
fbpanel: can't start plugin volume

Re: [solved] Alsa: no sound

In the last posting I have noted that the forum is no issue-tracker. Just pointing now into the direction here: https://issues.hyperbola.info/
Nevertheless there are also more details needed for the community to give more help: Hardware in usage? Name of the device?

For the error of fbpanel: This one is coming from the package and you need to remove the plugin from the configuration. In general there are different errors from different roots now here, so I would recommend to divide them. The fbpanel-problem is generic, perhaps we should therefore modify the package a bit and include only a configuration without the OSS-recommendation. The mpv-note is another cause for now, but first ALSA needs to run and recognize your soundcard. Can you give also insights about the result of the command aplay -l?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by auanta 2022-08-27 16:21:19)

Thank you for the fast response. I am trying desperately to get this particular functinality to worrk lol...  Anything helps!

I can't open bug reports, because I was told to hold off on making a bug tracker account (also got an error when I tried to sign up) so I don't even know if these are bugs (but maybe that depends on your workflow preferences), but let's find out -- and then maybe someone can work with me on that bug tracker account creation wink

So, here's some more info about my system: ALC269VC

6.511763] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for ALC269VC: line_outs=1 (0x1a/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
[    6.511766] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    6.511768] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    6.511769] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[    6.511770] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    inputs:
[    6.511773] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Mic=0x18
[    6.511774] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Internal Mic=0x12
[    6.540694] input: HDA Intel PCH Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/soun
d/card0/input11
[    6.540829] input: HDA Intel PCH Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/sound/card0/input12
[    6.540931] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/sound/card0/input13
[    6.541027] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/sound/card0/input14
[    6.541118] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=8 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/sound/card0/input15
[    6.541219] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=9 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/sound/card0/input16
[    6.541310] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=10 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/sound/card0/input17

In theory, all should work but maybe something is going on in userspace.

try these things in order

doas gpasswd -a yourusername audio
doas pacman -S alsa-sndio alsa-utils sndio soundbraid volumeicon
doas rc-update add alsasound default
doas rc-service alsasound start
doas rc-update add sndiod default
doas rc-service sndiod start
alsamixer
soundbraid
alsactl store
volumeicon

5 (edited by auanta 2022-08-27 19:11:25)

dikasp2 wrote:

try these things in order

doas gpasswd -a yourusername audio
doas pacman -S alsa-sndio alsa-utils sndio soundbraid volumeicon
doas rc-update add alsasound default
doas rc-service alsasound start
doas rc-update add sndiod default
doas rc-service sndiod start
alsamixer
soundbraid
alsactl store
volumeicon

Thank you so much! I have completed the steps, each one. My findings are:

that I am a member of audio,
I have the required packages (except volumeicon but that appears to be optional),
openrc confirmed that alsasound was added as default already,
alsasound is already started,
sndiod is added as default already,
sndiod is already started,
I have already configured alsamixer and soundbraid, and they (still) look correct..

One thing I didn't do is alsactl store? So I do that now,
and of course I do not require a volumeicon for my particular setup (cwm and keyboard keybindings are fine with me)

I want to show you screenshots but I can't find where to upload images without using JavaScript, sorry!

Unfortunately I still do not have sound, but cnfirming that the appropriate steps were taken is progress!

Hey, the package volumeicon is an alternative way to have your audio-output into control. In general: Sure it should be functional. But perhaps ALSA has muted the sound from the startup? You can try using volumeicon onto that instead of fbpanel.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

OK thanks I just installed and ran it, looks like I need to spend some time getting fbpanel to work, before I will be able to make use of it = volumeicon. However, I tried it with trayer and confirm that the sound there is unmuted as well. If necessary I can try to get some screenshots uploaded somewhere? I'm totally stumped lol.. Maybe I should try downloading Trisquel to troubleshoot

Hmm, we are for sure not at the end. For the time it seems to be recognized. Would please be so kind of leave output from aplay -l? Perhaps this brings a bit more into the puzzle.

throgh wrote:

Hmm, we are for sure not at the end. For the time it seems to be recognized. Would please be so kind of leave output from aplay -l? Perhaps this brings a bit more into the puzzle.

Absolutely, here we go;

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VC Analog [ALC269VC Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

Ah, I see one point: You have audio throughout HDMI-connection, correct? That's quite a bit different, not impossible but for sure different. I will ask later around a bit in the team as I think Emulatorman and / or Coadde had therefore a solution. Nevertheless: For sure if others here reading have a solution or experiences with that situation, feel free.

11 (edited by auanta 2022-08-28 01:00:50)

throgh wrote:

Ah, I see one point: You have audio throughout HDMI-connection, correct? That's quite a bit different, not impossible but for sure different. I will ask later around a bit in the team as I think Emulatorman and / or Coadde had therefore a solution. Nevertheless: For sure if others here reading have a solution or experiences with that situation, feel free.

Actually it's a little weird that I have all those HDMI connections, I haven't plugged this system into a monitor just yet, just trying to get the basic in-device speakers going.

But it reminds me that when I had Debian I had to mess around with the pulseaudio settings and I think it thought I had HDMI audio, then I changed it and it worked. I just will have to refresh myself on testing that if it may be a worthwhile effort?

Eventuallyy I will occasionally attach externals, but no just need to get the basics first

12 (edited by dikasp2 2022-08-28 01:04:39)

from my experience, any extranous sound like hdmi would have a separate volume mixer different from system and software ones.
i just guessing but try to open alsamixer and make all sound bar maxed, there might also hidden ones in the right edge if you use small terminal, just keep scroll it.

it also common for software to reroute the hdmi audio first, you may might change the sound channel into the hardware or software ones but unfortunately i dont know how.

There are different ways to solve the issue. For sndio:

# interchange sound channels

sndioctl server.device=$sound_dev_num

# eg.

sndioctl server.device=0

# To see settings

sndioctl

You also need to restart sndiod therefore.

doas rc-service sndiod restart

For alsa you need to look more close into alsamixer and do your own .asoundrc: https://www.techtimejourney.net/alsa-an … #more-2019

14 (edited by auanta 2023-02-28 04:11:21)

Update:

tbh it took me forever to face this but it was an easy fix once I did it.

Just make an .asoundrc and put this in:

pcm.!pcm {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "pcm"
}
}