Topic: No Resource URI Leak - Bug or just incompatibility with Pale Moon v28?

So I'm quite the Linux newbie and therefore I was not at all able to confirm whether this issue actually occurs in IceWeasel-UXP - I just know that it occurs in Pale Moon v28 (which is also built upon UXP) on Linux Mint 18.1 x64 Cinnamon.  Therefore I would greatly appreciate it if someone that actually knows what they're doing could confirm/deny whether this actually occurs in IceWeasel-UXP.

Simply put, when the extension "No Resource URI Leak" is installed and you directly view any image file that is larger than your browser window's current size, rather than it downscaling the image to fit your browser, it downscales to to slightly larger than a perfect fit resulting in a sort of "overscan" (even scroll bars will be present).  Additonally, the image aligned towards the left side rather than be centered.

Here's a screenshot (downscaled 67% to cancel-out 1.5x DPI scaling) of what the issue looks like in action:
https://imgoat.com/uploads/8baa56554f/141532.png

And a screenshot (also downscaled 67% to cancel-out 1.5x DPI scaling) of how things look when "No Resource URI Leak" is disabled; this is also how things behave with a completely stock configuration of Pale Moon v28:
https://imgoat.com/uploads/8baa56554f/141533.png

Direct link to the crazy high-resolution image depicted in the screenshots:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … Centre.jpg

Re: No Resource URI Leak - Bug or just incompatibility with Pale Moon v28?

NM64 wrote:

So I'm quite the Linux newbie and therefore I was not at all able to confirm whether this issue actually occurs in IceWeasel-UXP - I just know that it occurs in Pale Moon v28 (which is also built upon UXP) on Linux Mint 18.1 x64 Cinnamon.  Therefore I would greatly appreciate it if someone that actually knows what they're doing could confirm/deny whether this actually occurs in IceWeasel-UXP.

Simply put, when the extension "No Resource URI Leak" is installed and you directly view any image file that is larger than your browser window's current size, rather than it downscaling the image to fit your browser, it downscales to to slightly larger than a perfect fit resulting in a sort of "overscan" (even scroll bars will be present).  Additonally, the image aligned towards the left side rather than be centered.

Here's a screenshot (downscaled 67% to cancel-out 1.5x DPI scaling) of what the issue looks like in action:
https://imgoat.com/uploads/8baa56554f/141532.png

And a screenshot (also downscaled 67% to cancel-out 1.5x DPI scaling) of how things look when "No Resource URI Leak" is disabled; this is also how things behave with a completely stock configuration of Pale Moon v28:
https://imgoat.com/uploads/8baa56554f/141533.png

Direct link to the crazy high-resolution image depicted in the screenshots:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … Centre.jpg

This has never happened to me before, could be some webext problem in palemoon/baslisk.  Iceweasel completely removes that webext garbage. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I was able to reproduce this in Iceweasel-UXP using the link you provided, however it is not a bug it is a feature when "resource://" protection is enabled.

The following CSS fails to load:
resource://gre/res/ImageDocument.css
resource://gre/res/TopLevelImageDocument.css

The above stylesheets center the image on the page, without it you see a scroll bar. No Resource URI Leak blocks access to internal pages so that they cannot be seen by the outside world/malicious javascript, at the expense of some visual oddities. Developer Toolbox should also be grey and ugly looking. You can whitelist these by exposing the folders in the addon preferences, but it would affect privacy.

4 (edited by NM64 2018-09-01 20:06:38)

zapper wrote:

could be some webext problem in palemoon/baslisk.)

AFAIK Pale Moon does not support any web extension technologies even in version 28.

g4jc wrote:

I was able to reproduce this in Iceweasel-UXP using the link you provided, however it is not a bug it is a feature when "resource://" protection is enabled.

Well that's certainly...annoying to say the least as it also cuts off the bottom of the image by default.

And I'm guessing it'd bloat the extension if it downscaled directly-linked images by maybe an additional 1% to 2% when they're not viewed unzoomed?

NM64 wrote:
zapper wrote:

could be some webext problem in palemoon/baslisk.)

AFAIK Pale Moon does not support any web extension technologies even in version 28.

No, I mean version 52 of baslisk still supports some webext addons. I thought Palemoon did too. My mistake.

g4jc wrote:

Well that's certainly...annoying to say the least as it also cuts off the bottom of the image by default.

And I'm guessing it'd bloat the extension if it downscaled directly-linked images by maybe an additional 1% to 2% when they're not viewed unzoomed?

Not sure about this, but it shouldn't happen in iceweasel-uxp. I have never had such an issue.

6 (edited by NM64 2018-09-02 19:34:08)

So one member says this issues doesn't happen in iceweasel-uxp while another member says it does...

What do?

NM64 wrote:

So one member says this issues doesn't happen in iceweasel-uxp while another member says it does...

What do?

I didn't say it never happens actually. I just said it never happened to me