1 (edited by auanta 2023-02-28 22:40:18)

Topic: [solved] Recommendations for a simple K.I.S.S. wiki

I have been working on a personal project and am now asking for advice. My goal is to put a combined dictionary of my indigenous language into a new dictionary, make it owned by the native speakers, as a resource for and by the community -- and editable by the community.

I want to facilitate all of this through software libre, so I was thinking a collaborative web platform like a wiki. To promote collaboration instead of competition, and so people can immediately see themselves and the community benefit from this collaboration.

I like to keep it simple, no need for excessive features. Something that can be accessed on any phone or computing device with a web browser. It could be totally simple HTML pages with a simple username/password account with no email needed to register. And no need to know how to code.

Mediawiki is OK, but it has too much complexity and uses PHP. Same with Dokuwiki.

I like the suckless wiki concept but my community doesn't code nor use git, and this limits access from the jump. I need to make it as accessible as possible.

I'm also just generally interested if anyone knows about a PHP-free, super simple wiki that is as simple to use as it is simple in design.

But maybe I should just go with mediawiki...

Re: [solved] Recommendations for a simple K.I.S.S. wiki

Perhaps it would be an idea to create just a static stie with something like Pelican: Your sites would be then done with a markdown-syntax, transferred via FTP or being within a git-repository. And you can then create a cron-job creating the static sites from the checked in sources at given time. I know this is surely quite a different approach, but so you can perhaps circumvent security-issues for example. The resulting website is just static and cannot be changed so easy at once.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by auanta 2022-10-05 18:04:07)

This is a good idea, I have Pelican on my list, a static Pelican site would be great.

Just not sure how to incorporate collaboration...

I could have people contact me directly send me new words and word meanings. This would put me as the main worker, and I don't know if they will want to send me them. Maybe have a group chat where we all share together, then I add any new words.

Maybe just have a tutorial on how they can get a full copy of the text, modify, export to other places, and print the dictionary easily...

And a git repository for those who are capable of sending changes.

You can also use a FTP-server like vsftpd, with granting access for uploading and approval later for people before new added parts are transferred in another folder for working with pelican. With filezilla the access is most easy to be done!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You can also use a FTP-server like vsftpd, with granting access for uploading and approval later for people before new added parts are transferred in another folder for working with pelican. With filezilla the access is most easy to be done!

Oh wow I have to try this. Thank you so much!