Re: Milky Way Roadmap

@cynicfm :
I'm not sure about the issue you had with NetBSD but concerning coreboot + seabios, what's wrong with it ?
It is entirely free as long as you don't include any blob when building the rom through menuconfig :

CPU Microcode (even though you should include it for general stability on these old Core2)
VBT (Video Bios Table) probably not needed anyway, not sure about the usefulness of it. I run a R400 without it just fine.

At this point, Libreboot is a dead project which received no update in 3 years. I switched all my machines to upstream coreboot to get all fixes and performance improvement.

Well, calling Libreboot "dead" is a bit problematic from my point of view. Looking onto the official repositories there is work done: https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot.git

Yes, there is not that much interest, of course. Same with Replicant, which also was called "dead" many times and is getting another release coming up with version 9. The problem with Coreboot is the proprietary stack of firmware-blobs needed getting to run. Yes, it is more "free" as the complete UEFI-implementation you'll get on those machines these days. But is it really "better"? Questionable and open for discussion as everybody could have another point of view on that.

Regarding the topic itself: I'm interested in running OpenBSD on a machine with Libreboot and it "should" run when having a look onto the official site: https://libreboot.org/docs/bsd/openbsd.html

But perhaps it is better to have closer look on a personal compiled version of Libreboot, directly from the repository?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Will tryout OpenBSD myself on Libreboot and report back to you about the issues. Perhaps there is some solution as I know people having the system running. Perhaps I can reach out to them and ask! But first I'm curious about giving this a tryout myself. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Back here for short feedback: So I have managed to install OpenBSD 6.6 on my X200 with Libreboot and I got into the X-server. But yes, there are graphical problems. I think I have done something wrong with the installation of LXQt so I have to do it again or perhaps use an older version. But it is possible to install! smile

55 (edited by throgh 2020-02-09 21:36:32)

Okay, got OpenBSD working but with XFCE for the time being besides having therefore some issues with X-server starting.

Besides that I'd like to leave some annotation about the newest addition to the news. Meaning therefore the interview with "It's FOSS": Seriously that's your decision but I'd like to note also that exactly those platforms are part of the reasoning for some really serious issues coming up for free, libre software these days. People tend to use the easiest way at all and who is there to condemn this? Exactly, but strict principles are needed and what I have learned is that "It's FOSS" or others just give nothing about clear ideals.

Some examples to follow:

• Just having a look onto the website in a whole as it is full with external content to proprietary services from Google and others.

• Some articles are more or less a bad joke, a look into this as they talk about the "best modern open-source text-editors for coding" in Linux and guess what? They mention "Visual Studio Code".

Those portals are not interested in free, libre software from my point of view. Even worse they mention just some distributions very often and after that people wonder why exactly "Ubuntu" is taken as "Linux" in common sense. Well here we have some reasoning for that! Besides the article is shared throughout proprietary services like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit or LinkedIn. And mixing "Open-Source" with "Free Software" is never a good idea as in the long run the pragmatic viewing is destroying all idealism and principle. Yes, HyperbolaBSD needs support. But speaking for myself: I think it is better to callout from free decentralized systems in general when needed. Portals like "It's FOSS" just keep on with buzzwords instead of looking into deep, not even talking about idealism or clear, strict principles as Hyperbola has for the time being. The article itself is tagged with "Hyperbola" and it is the only news about the distribution and the project itself. News about Trisquel? Parabola? Dragora? Nothing to be found. As I've said: No REAL interest, just buzzwords. The comments show exactly the main problem: People don't want to understand and furthermore the first and newest comment just starts with smear wordings like "HypocriticalBSD" because the licensing is again the problem. The information about major freedom flaws for the sources? Ignored. The major points why exactly GPL-licensing and the idealism behind? Again ignored. People "have to give code back"? Oh, problems ahead because this is "enforced". The reasoning why we have the concurrent situation: Personal freedom above freedom for everyone. Instead HyperbolaBSD has the chance to do this other way around. But the criticism is well known as LibertyBSD had the same echo in mailing-lists back the days and that's the problem I had and have with some people from BSD as they don't want to see the technical flaws coming up, just the interest for their own. sad

To summarize: I don't think this "interview" was a very good idea, but as noted before ... your decision. The echo does in fact reflect the problems I have noted. More interest about personal pragmatism above security and freedom as people just give in with "Steam" or DRM (also to be found within the comment-section). And that's the reasoning why exactly we have such small community, even further interests in security and freedom for everyone is the point. Idealism, clear and strict principles - yet one can make already some exceptions on a personal level - is not well-noted in the capitalistic and neoliberal world where only progress is common sense, with ignoring the "costs". And in the end cheap excuses come up, but driving environment, society and the world in general literally to the wall is fun until that point. *sigh* No that's not "fun", but seems ignorance and arrogance gives a "good feeling" for many people, also up on those "portals and platforms" full with proprietary content and with laughing up on free, libre software and clear idealism. And I don't write this without knowledge or prejudices as I've got this myself as answer from those pragmatic people from "Linux" (without GNU): They just disdain idealism and clear prinicples!

very true. I read it in Spanish [https://conocimientoslibres.tuxfamily.o … sd/#titulo] and inform the dev of the web that he "make please also publish it in English"
CL website is interesting but I'm sorry they don't publish it here sad

So I'm a mathematics graduate student who may be going into cryptography as a subfield, and I've found this community changed course from linux-libre. I have a history of C programming for some coursework, and have long been a GNU and libre community member, but I think the goals of the project are worth spending a lot of time on. I'm not a kernel developer by any means, but I'd like to be, and I would specifically like to learn to be one to give HyperbolaBSD as much support as I can when I'm not working on classes.

I've ordered several textbooks on architecture, OpenBSD, and development, but I was hoping to see if anyone here had recommendations on what resources would best prepare me for the kind of work that you are doing. I'd love to be able to help keep freedom at the center of technology!

HyperbolaBSD will probably be different than OpenBSD in some ways, so don't assume everything will be completely the same/as hard. He will probably make it somewhat easier and have pacman as the package manager still.
Also it will probably be more modular and lightweight due to removing the non-free garbage aka... smile

But yeah, ask Emulatorman what he would need to have help for this, I assume C programming would be of help to him though. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Emulatorman is too busy to reply to people who want to contribute to hyperbola. His actions convert every supporter of hyperbola against it.

sagaracharya wrote:

Emulatorman is too busy to reply to people who want to contribute to hyperbola. His actions convert every supporter of hyperbola against it.

I guess he is really busy right now... I wouldn't give up on him just yet, but yeah, he has a lot of work to do.

What I do say though is, just try to be patient.  He is working his butt off alot lately. the git page tells the story best.

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/

You might be better off sending an email/contacting a different dev of Hyperbola. I am sorry I didn't realize this sooner.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Hmm, just personal though onwards: Is the IRC not the better place for a more direct way? Or as you've said, the e-mail? For the time being the forums are more comparable to a "meeting point" of the community itself.

@Emulatorman As a alternative to GNUMailman you have Majordomo, which is what the OpenBSD project uses, it is premissivly lincensed though unfortunately, like many other OpenBSD endeavours.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majordomo_(software)

But maybe with the push to Mailman 3 suite, and fo activuty in mailman developement if reported that might improve, who knows.
Cheers.

@Emulatorman As a alternative to GNUMailman you have Majordomo, which is what the OpenBSD project uses, it is premissivly lincensed though unfortunately, like many other OpenBSD endeavours.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majordomo_(software)

But maybe with the push to Mailman 3 suite, and fo activuty in mailman developement if reported that might improve, who knows.
Cheers.

Since 0.4 is released and much things changed: Thread closed and unstick for the time being. smile