Topic: An alternative a "wmctrl -lx" command (that does not work in Hyp 0.4)

Two examples for openbox

#!/bin/sh

wid=$(xdotool search --onlyvisible --class Iceape-UXP)
xdotool windowraise $wid
xdotool windowfocus $wid
#!/bin/sh

wid=$(xdotool search --onlyvisible --class Abiword)
xdotool windowraise $wid
xdotool windowfocus $wid
<keybind key="W-I">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>~/.run/iceape.sh</command>
      </action>
</keybind>
<keybind key="W-W">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>~/.run/abiword.sh</command>
      </action>
 </keybind>

2 (edited by zapper 2022-04-20 02:03:02)

Re: An alternative a "wmctrl -lx" command (that does not work in Hyp 0.4)

I thought openbox was on the verge of being a memory...

Although, someone could be maintaining openbox elsewhere,

I just haven't looked yet*

typo before...

wink

EDIT:

Seems its not dead, well... in a sense... and not a good one:

seems the xorg version is looking dead though in the long term, regarding development/changes.

waybox is now being developed.

hmm

Meh...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

As long a project and software being used it is not to be defined as "dead" or "unused".
No need for further discussions onto that point.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Openbox is pure rock, they still use many distro, see Trisquel Mini as a WM of Lxde. It must be the most lively dead WM in history.

Regarding WM of Hyperbola 0.4, of those I tried:
spectrwm = does not start
windwm = does not start
stumpwm = cannot be configured correctly
ratpoison = perfect
jwm = perfect
cwm = perfect

Well, there are two different ways: Either we remove the corresponding packages completely as being malfunctional or we find fixes for malfunctions. We as team have not the resources to test all of this and my preferred way would be for fixing, when possible. Nevertheless: We cannot have malfunctional and broken packages.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Well, there are two different ways: Either we remove the corresponding packages

I suggest the removal of packages when there is an alternative or there are similar  packages (see Wimdow Manager)

Anyway...

It could be that the problem with the fonts that prevents stumpwm than not being configured to be the cause that  spectrwm and windwm do not start.

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=669

For sure the font-issue needs fixing. Nevertheless: The packages mentioned can be removed and others can be used. My list here as proposal:

goomwm
pekwm
pawm
tinywm
evilwm
mcwm
2bwm

I would propose to set the corresponding PKGBUILDs here first for a tryout. Would this be okay and are you firm with using makepkg?

8 (edited by zapper 2022-04-20 17:57:21)

u

throgh wrote:

As long a project and software being used it is not to be defined as "dead" or "unused".
No need for further discussions onto that point.

My bad, then...

I found two more if that's the case...

wink

https://uwm.sourceforge.io/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mazewm/

Btw, I have the latest versions of both, just in case...

I also found this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/logout … w-manager/

Found these also:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wmluz.mgstep.p/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xfast/

the last one I have to check to see if it requires dbus or other bullcrap...

I will let you know when I know...

smile

If it is okay: I stay at the point. Building first in a clean environment (chroot) as in our build-server. Afterwards I'll create another thread listing the PKGBUILD-script and the additional files. The meaning for this step is the same as for hplip-drivers. Having clear tests! smile

10 (edited by zapper 2022-04-20 18:21:11)

throgh wrote:

If it is okay: I stay at the point. Building first in a clean environment (chroot) as in our build-server. Afterwards I'll create another thread listing the PKGBUILD-script and the additional files. The meaning for this step is the same as for hplip-drivers. Having clear tests! smile

Gotcha, I have added other wm ideas and one DE...

Gotta check the DE, it looks flashy, which means it might need dbus...

Will find out soon, if it doesn't, feel free to add it if you wish.

wink

Edit: Seems that isn't a problem, however...

there are a few building issues, that I see...

If anyone feels like fixing this up for HyperbolaBSD, or in general, that's one thing, but I somehow think this should be waited on till Hyperbola devs have more time... unless g4jc has interest...

He had interest in xynth at one point, which strangely enough, is what xfast was based on... wink

EDIT: Better idea, maybe I should ask jwmkit creator if he could make tjwmkit allow people to make jwm, look like that.  That being said, looking like it, is fine, being as bloated, not fine whatsoever...

tongue

This is the DE I would love to emulate:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xfast/

@jwmkit, if you see this post, let me know if you have interest in doing this.

Thank you for all your work to help  make jwm even better! 

Btw,

found one other idea you may have interest in:

I mention this,  because your dialog box for jwmkit when you go to logout, is missing a few options, tell me if you are interested in this as well.

To make that clear: This is not meant as next wish-possibility.
There won't be more desktop-environments added, just alternative window-managers for the ones being marked for removal. Nothing more, nothing less.

The first one: pekwm

12 (edited by gnu 2022-04-21 11:26:17)

For sure the font-issue needs fixing. Nevertheless: The packages mentioned can be removed and others can be used. My list here as proposal:

goomwm
pekwm
pawm
tinywm
evilwm
mcwm
2bwm

http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/
No title bar, no icons.
Good keyboard control, including monitor-aware repositioning and maximise toggles.

evilwm seems interesting

^_^

I hope the point is clear: We won't add further window-managers if there are no tests. I will provide step by step mentioned packages in different threads created for that purpose. The reasoning is easy: We cannot accept unstable or broken packages in our stable system. And we cannot wait endless for tests not happening when we publish packages within testing. We had around 1,5 years for 0.4 to be tested and having now feedback about malfunctional window-managers gives exactly the point onto.

When there will be no tests being done, the mentioned packages will be removed and we will just add what we can test for sure and that will be for sure a minimized amount of the named packages here.

throgh wrote:

To make that clear: This is not meant as next wish-possibility.
There won't be more desktop-environments added, just alternative window-managers for the ones being marked for removal. Nothing more, nothing less.

The first one: pekwm

This makes plenty of sense,  no time anyhow at this time...

wink

Since there was not that much feedback: The following window-managers are getting more attention.

pekwm
evilwm
yeahtools / yeahwm

That's it: Three possible replacements and three are going to be removed then. The window-managers to be removed:

windwm = does not start

16 (edited by zapper 2022-04-25 02:12:18)

throgh wrote:

Since there was not that much feedback: The following window-managers are getting more attention.

pekwm
evilwm
yeahtools / yeahwm

That's it: Three possible replacements and three are going to be removed then. The window-managers to be removed:

windwm = does not start

Never used any of them, but they look kind of bland, at first glance, unless windwm is any good. wink

Hmm.... it looks somewhat better than I thought...

I could check I guess if its still on here.

Brb...

Edit: It seems to be broken as far as I can see...

sad

Unless someone knows why it doesn't do anything when it loads.

That being said, though... their included info with the window manager is useless though... even if you aren't using windwm.

I could check further, but its not really important at this time, so do whatever. wink

zapper wrote:

. . .
EDIT: Better idea, maybe I should ask jwmkit creator if he could make tjwmkit allow people to make jwm, look like that.  That being said, looking like it, is fine, being as bloated, not fine whatsoever...
. . .

I mention this,  because your dialog box for jwmkit when you go to logout, is missing a few options, tell me if you are interested in this as well.

@zapper
Sorry I missed your post.  I didn't see it until you pointed it out in the other thread.

Yes you can make JWM look nice and colorful like the screenshot.  If you want it identical it will require extra effort, and you can't make the corners as round, but it's close.  The number 1 thing you need is not even JWM related.  It's the GTK theme.  Anyone know what theme is in the screen shot?  Maybe Graybird or Clearlooks? Then use JWM Kit's various tools to match the JWM appearance to the GTK Theme.  Colors, font size. window height, etc.  If you want the same icons for the window title buttons you will have to acquire the icons from the original source or recreate them.

As far as the logout prompt.  You could easily replace the JWM Kit's logout prompt with that one or any other.   My original goal was to be very basic with no frills. I have considered a design that allows users to expand it and add their own buttons.  For example the user could add a lock button and   define the command to lock the screen.  What all options do you need? hibernate, suspend, and lock?

JWMKit wrote:
zapper wrote:

. . .
. . .

@zapper
Sorry I missed your post.  I didn't see it until you pointed it out in the other thread.

Yes you can make JWM look nice and colorful like the screenshot.  If you want it identical it will require extra effort, and you can't make the corners as round, but it's close.  The number 1 thing you need is not even JWM related.  It's the GTK theme.  Anyone know what theme is in the screen shot?  Maybe Graybird or Clearlooks? Then use JWM Kit's various tools to match the JWM appearance to the GTK Theme.  Colors, font size. window height, etc.  If you want the same icons for the window title buttons you will have to acquire the icons from the original source or recreate them.

As far as the logout prompt.  You could easily replace the JWM Kit's logout prompt with that one or any other.   My original goal was to be very basic with no frills. I have considered a design that allows users to expand it and add their own buttons.  For example the user could add a lock button and   define the command to lock the screen.  What all options do you need? hibernate, suspend, and lock?

Lock and suspend for the logout options would be good, hibernate? I don't need it personally and I don't know if even Hyperbola supports it  at this time, now and/or if it will in the future beyond the 0.4 version.

If you download the latest version of their window manager, its 2014? I think? but it might have some interesting clues within it...

That being said, now that I think of it, something just came to me:

https://joewing.net/projects/jwm/screen … wm-2.2.png

I am curious now, what is that ram, cpu, weather,  disk, network, processes

system graph program called? I have tried to find it since a long time ago, cannot figure it out... wink

Also, curious on the level of memory/cpu usage, in general...

Actually, email me, me regarding if you feel like this discussion will go on and on...

Just for the sake of forum sanity.

wink

The Ratpoison package has a dependency on bash. This must be in error, as ratpoison runs perfectly on my OpenBSD install with no bash in sight.

Please remember that we are for now using GNU/Linux-base and this means for sure some other dependencies. If you have further questions: Please create another thread. Thanks! smile

Thread closed as essential question of the creator was not answered but never asked direct again. When the original issue persists, please also create another new thread where we can together look for solutions as Hyperbola is community-based. Thanks!