1 (edited by icewm-questionaire 2022-12-09 20:55:54)

Topic: IceWM - Fonts missing?

I've really tried...
Can you kindly tell me the package that is going to solve the following error that appears when I start IceWM?

cannot load font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1"

sad sad sad

+ using xenocara

Re: IceWM - Fonts missing?

You should install all packages with xenocara and xorg.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by icewm-questionaire 2022-12-10 09:34:38)

throgh wrote:

You should install all packages with xenocara and xorg.

I've installed every font there is (xenocara-font-*) but still, when I start icewm with:

xinit icewm-session

a "login" terminal-like window appears, and slowly but surely it fills with error messages about fonts and whatnot.
Any advice on how can I handle it? I would gladly hide the login window, but if I

xkill 

it, icewm and xenocara closes.

Again: Please install everything from xenocara and xorg, not just some partly packages.

doas pacman -S xenocara xorg

Also you need to review your needed driver-modules, perhaps you need also:

doas pacman -S xenocara-video-intel
Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Done, but it still displays the following errors:
When I open xterm:

xterm: cannot load font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1"

No final clue about that error on your system. Within the tests I have never discovered those. I can only recommend the additional installation of ttf-dejavu.

I do not know icewm; but if it uses fontconfig, and the fontconfig configuration blacklists bitmapped fonts, icewm will never find them. So either the fontconfig configuration file must be manipulated, or a ttf/otf font must be installed, such as the DejaVu stuff.While talking about fonts: Are there particularly strict rules for the admission of fonts into hyperbola, stricter than those of OpenBSD and Debian? It is certainly easy to retrieve some additional fonts from other OSes or the web, and in many cases the licenses allow for that. But are there ethical objections to using fonts  from e.g. google fonts and fontlibrary even if the licenses are considered generally free? Sometimes, it is not clear what the preferred medium for making modifications is. A font that has been wholly designed with pencil on paper can be declared freely modifiable and redistributable by the author, but distributing paper and pencil along with them would be ridiculous.

We try foremost to stay away from "corporate open-source". Those includes also projects even looking like "free and permissive". Free is not free in those boundaries because there are always some objections to come afterwards and being dependant onto those projects is not the finest in the end. So we won't include fonts from companies like Google for sure. We also don't go for others, including icon-sets including symbols for non-free applications, interfaces and more.