Topic: Questions about installing Hyperbola

Hi all. I wanted to say a big thank you for helping me register Emulatorman (irc chat).

I have installation questions. I am writing instructions for my friends so they can install Hyperbola .
If these questions have already been answered, please provide a link to them.

1. What is the correct key verification algorithm? Please write the correct command algorithm. I followed the wiki and got this error.

wiki:
pacman-key --init

pacman-key --populate hyperbola

pacman-key --refresh-keys

error:

https://lufi.ethibox.fr/r/LU1rJyJ9Bp#kd … wdeOPeSgs=

2. The sound does not work when I use the browser. (I tried all browsers)
After installing alsa-utils , alsa-sndio ,sndio and running the applications

doas rc-update add ......default

, I had to edit the configuration file to define my audio card, which was a surprise for me)) After the

rc-update --all

command, I see an inscription opposite sndiod nonetwork.

3. What do I need to do so that after installation I have on the panel: sound applet, screen brightness, internet connection (wifi or wired), keyboard layout change applet.
In this tutorial, I use fluxbox.

4. How to set up a firewall to close unnecessary ports and allow the necessary ones.

5. Do I need to run this command during installation?

cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

(https://pagure.io/hyperbola_wiki)  I didn't use it and it worked

6. What is the situation with display and window managers? I installed  xorg-xdm (without  slim) After reloading, I saw a gray small window, entered login and password, but nothing worked. Which window managers are best not to use and which ones are stable and work well?

7. How to properly configure doas so that when you reboot or shutdown the system does not ask for a password. Now I have everything by default.

In fact, the distro is very cool and consumes few resources. If I can solve all these issues it will be easy to switch to permanent use.

Re: Questions about installing Hyperbola

Will try my best to help and answer your questions, including also guidance as I take the first question now with me into our weekly meetup. If you want: Feel invited also in the IRC (https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … c_channels).

1. Per default those parts should only be needed in the case of errors. You can also choose first to modify the file /etc/pacman.conf using no SigLevel per installation and redo that afterwards again. So for both repositories you can use:

SigLevel = Never

Remember this is only a first step. Nevertheless this helps me personal with my local repository I have in a fresh mirror being used (more and how to do at wish also, but not now here in this thread).

2. Okay, I had some of those issues also and yes you need to configure your wished adapter as more modern systems can have issues with so-called HDMI-drivers for example and sndio is not enumerating those correct. Nevertheless first for handling the services:

doas rc-update add SERVICE default

The command above adds a named service to the runlevel default when you are using hyperrc (OpenRC). You can start the service direct with:

doas rc-service sndiod start

For HyperRC / OpenRC the following folders are relevant per minimum:

/etc/init.d/ - for the service-file
/etc/conf.d/ - for the service-configuration

You can check the state of all services running without privileges with the following command:

rc-status default

No problem if you have further questions in that part, please ask therefore.

3. I use fluxbox also: Some good additions are ...

tint3-cpp
dhcpcd-ui
parcellite
volumeicon

4. Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre is using nftables per default, but you need to specify concurrent rules first.

5. + 6. You would need this for slim (please remember to mark it executable). For xdm you would need ~/.xsession, which should contain then:

startfluxbox

Also here: The file needs to be executable.

7. Here is the configuration under /etc/doas.conf your best friend and helper. But for reboot and poweroff you just need to be part of the group power:

doas usermod -aG power [YOURUSER]

If you have further questions: Don't hesitate to ask. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Hello throgh. Thank you very much for helping me and answering my questions in detail. As for irc, I'm already in the chat.
They wrote me to contact me here with questions, so I wrote all the questions here and not in the irc chat

1. Clarification on the first question. Ok, what commands do I need to use to update the pacman keyring for signing verifying packages ?
When I got the error I thought I was wrong and looked up the Parabola wiki as a fallback it had the same verification algorithm. Or is this issue currently under development? I have written down your recommendations.

2.Sorry I didn't write accurately. When I said

doas rc-update add ......default

, I meant that I did all this. Now I checked the service

sndiod

doas rc-service sndiod

and I have this output: status: crashed

but when I executed the

doas rc-service sndiod start

command (I already did this before I wrote here)
I
I have the following output WARNING: sndiod has already been started

the rc-status default command shows that sndiod started

It's a mystery to me)) in which direction should I look for a solution to this problem?))

3.Thank you very much for your advice. I will check your recommendations and if there are questions, I will write.

4. Understood, I will study this issue. Can you tell me why there is no UFW package?

5. . As for this issue. I decided to check it out)) Removed slim , returned the settings in nano /etc/conf.d/xdm to xdm . Changed ~/.xinitrc (startfluxbox) Made .xinitrc executable ( chmod +x ) Everything worked!

Please tell me which window managers work stably, for example i3 or some others, I would like to indicate this in the instructions.

I tried i3 , everything worked well , but I could not find a solution how to reduce the brightness of the screen and sound , below is the information from my config file but it does not work

bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec amixer set Master 5%+ unmute
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec amixer set Master 5%- unmute
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec amixer set Master nmute

bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec xbacklight -inc 5 # increase screen brightness
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec xbacklight -dec 5 # decrease screen brightness

7. This is a great solution, thanks for replacing sudo instead. I've already tried what you recommend, but it doesn't work.
command not found

groups jimmy 

power,video.....etc

Regarding the keyring: You should have all fresh as we only have our main buildserver signing. Since version 0.4 we have no longer imported packages with need of external verification.

Towards the issue for sndio: This is kind of a bigger issue. Can you please try to enumerate first your soundcard and provide more information about your system in usage? Doing so would be like this, following up examples for ALSA:

aplay -l

My output from a ThinkPad X200 (Libreboot):

**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], Gerät 0: CX20561 Analog [CX20561 Analog]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], Gerät 1: CX20561 Digital [CX20561 Digital]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0

With this there is a first glimpse where the problem lies, perhaps sndio cannot enumerate your card correct and you will need to adjust the service a bit.

I assume you have installed the corresponding packages installed?

extra/xenocara-xbacklight
extra/alsa-utils

I would recommend to tryout the command first manual and see where this leads to. smile

For ALSA working as a service you would need also to install alsa-utils and do:

doas rc-update add alsasound default

Running the service (at best with a fresh restart):

doas rc-service alsasound start

About the command usermod: This is part of the package shadow and should be installed from the start. Nevertheless you need for sure root-privileges. So I propose to login as root first and do so with:

usermod -aG wheel [USERNAME]

In this case without doas as you don't need extra privileges.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thank you very much for your reply. I want to immediately make a reservation and apologize that my test Pc is not x200)) Install an ultra-libre distro on a non-free Pc this is stupid, but for now, this is how I want to test everything to show how to install my like-minded people correctly.

1.Now I understand, thank you very much. Then I exclude this item from the instructions. I've been told this problem often.

2.Yes, sure . command output

aplay -l

tells me that I have:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1

When I installed the sound utilities and configured through the configuration file, I checked the sound through MPV, as well as

command

speaker-test -c 2

Everything works, a hiss is heard from the speakers))

3. As for xenocara-xbacklight, you are right, I have it installed. In order not to take risks, I did not select packages and immediately installed everything, I mean the command

pacman -S xenocara

maybe you just have to choose :xenocara-server xenocara-init xenocara-drivers и ttf-dejavu

I checked   

doas rc-service alsasound status

system responds with status: started

I installed the alsa-utils right away, I wrote about it above))

4. As for doas

I checked

doas -s 

groups jimmy all the same groups are in place, the shadow  package is installed. Why I need to enter the superuser password to reboot is unclear.

You can check the groups for your user (unprivileged), mine are:

sys wheel uucp games video audio optical storage input power users adbusers

But also as possible example for doas. You would need always:

doas reboot
doas poweroff

7 (edited by jimmy 2022-12-29 10:56:02)

Thank you very much for your help! With programmers like you, the world will definitely become a better place))

As for doas , I understand you. I think this topic should clearly state the information about this (if I understood everything correctly) that you should always use doas ( poweroff ,reboot or any other command) Usually users do not use the superuser privilege to reboot, shutdown the PC
And this question very often arises among users.

As for the sound, I still don't have it when using the browser. By executing the test command :

doas sndiod -dd -L localhost -j off -a off -e s16 -r 48000 -f rsnd/0 -m play,rec -v 118 -s default

I get an error

localhost: failed to bind socket

I checked

ip a

and

ping localhost

Everything works

I also tried to change /etc/hosts variations since the error points to localhost

127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.0.1    jimmy

but that didn't work either.

As for the applets on the panel, it will not be difficult for you to show a screenshot of how it looks on your test PC or some example from another PC after setup. I would like to figure out how to configure the panel so that all the necessary applets are displayed on it for ease of use (sound, brightness, keyboard layout change, internet connection, time) Gently remove the Lumina panel or the system will have two panels after installing tint3
I noticed that the titn3 panel works much better than Lumina, for example, icons of different programs are displayed correctly, but not correctly in Lumina

Can you please give an impression which browser exactly you have in mind? Also: Always check if sndiod is started. You can for example check it short with installing some game from the repositories like extremetuxracer as openal (also installed as dependency then) is using sndio first without any other configuration.

As for the desktop: https://i.postimg.cc/8z9bQsJb/screenshot-2022-12-29.png

Okay, let's check out the main iceweasel-uxp browser.
I checked sndiod

doas rc-service sndiod status

everything works, now I will download the game and check the sound..

As for the rest of the questions, I propose to discuss them later, I tried to configure the panel that you recommended but did not find information anywhere on the wiki, there is also no information.

Thank you for your screenshot, I want to set it up like that too ))) Since after rebooting the lumina panel slides 20% down (I set the panel to the top) so I would like to remove the default panel and install tint3

Okay, no problem: For the setup above I am using fluxbox. Follow up is my configuration within ~/.fluxbox:

init

session.screen0.titlebar.left:    Stick 
session.screen0.titlebar.right:    Minimize Maximize Close 
session.screen0.menu.alpha:    255
session.screen0.tab.placement:    TopLeft
session.screen0.tab.width:    64
session.screen0.tabs.usePixmap:    true
session.screen0.tabs.maxOver:    false
session.screen0.tabs.intitlebar:    true
session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap:    true
session.screen0.iconbar.iconTextPadding:    10
session.screen0.iconbar.iconWidth:    128
session.screen0.iconbar.alignment:    Relative
session.screen0.iconbar.mode:    {static groups} (workspace)
session.screen0.iconbar.usePixmap:    true
session.screen0.toolbar.maxOver:    false
session.screen0.toolbar.layer:    Dock
session.screen0.toolbar.widthPercent:    100
session.screen0.toolbar.height:    0
session.screen0.toolbar.alpha:    255
session.screen0.toolbar.autoHide:    false
session.screen0.toolbar.tools:    prevworkspace,workspacename,nextworkspace,iconbar,clock
session.screen0.toolbar.placement:    BottomCenter
session.screen0.toolbar.onhead:    1
session.screen0.toolbar.visible:    false
session.screen0.window.focus.alpha:    255
session.screen0.window.unfocus.alpha:    255
session.screen0.slit.placement:    RightBottom
session.screen0.slit.autoHide:    false
session.screen0.slit.layer:    Dock
session.screen0.slit.maxOver:    false
session.screen0.slit.acceptKdeDockapps:    true
session.screen0.slit.alpha:    255
session.screen0.slit.onhead:    0
session.screen0.fullMaximization:    false
session.screen0.colPlacementDirection:    TopToBottom
session.screen0.clickRaises:    true
session.screen0.tooltipDelay:    500
session.screen0.workspaces:    4
session.screen0.maxDisableMove:    false
session.screen0.windowMenu:    /home/tobias/.fluxbox/windowmenu
session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay:    0
session.screen0.focusSameHead:    false
session.screen0.focusModel:    ClickFocus
session.screen0.opaqueMove:    true
session.screen0.focusNewWindows:    true
session.screen0.maxDisableResize:    false
session.screen0.windowPlacement:    RowMinOverlapPlacement
session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement:    true
session.screen0.autoRaise:    true
session.screen0.defaultDeco:    NORMAL
session.screen0.tabFocusModel:    ClickToTabFocus
session.screen0.edgeSnapThreshold:    10
session.screen0.strftimeFormat:    %k:%M
session.screen0.demandsAttentionTimeout:    500
session.screen0.allowRemoteActions:    false
session.screen0.workspaceNames:    Arbeitsfl\303\244che 1,Arbeitsfl\303\244che 2,Arbeitsfl\303\244che 3,Arbeitsfl\303\244che 4,
session.screen0.workspacewarping:    true
session.screen0.showwindowposition:    false
session.screen0.menuDelay:    200
session.screen0.rowPlacementDirection:    LeftToRight
session.appsFile:    /home/tobias/.fluxbox/apps
session.cacheLife:    5
session.slitlistFile:    /home/tobias/.fluxbox/slitlist
session.autoRaiseDelay:    250
session.configVersion:    13
session.doubleClickInterval:    250
session.ignoreBorder:    false
session.tabPadding:    0
session.keyFile:    ~/.fluxbox/keys
session.colorsPerChannel:    4
session.forcePseudoTransparency:    false
session.tabsAttachArea:    Window
session.cacheMax:    200
session.styleOverlay:    /home/tobias/.fluxbox/overlay
session.menuFile:    ~/.fluxbox/menu

startup

#!/bin/sh
#
# fluxbox startup-script:
#
# Lines starting with a '#' are ignored.

# Change your keymap:
xmodmap "/home/tobias/.Xmodmap"

# Applications you want to run with fluxbox.
# MAKE SURE THAT APPS THAT KEEP RUNNING HAVE AN ''&'' AT THE END.

setxkbmap de &
parcellite &
volumeicon &
dhcpcd-gtk &
cbatticon &
tilda -h &
tint3 &
multiload-ng-systray &
# personal scripts at startup
/home/tobias/scripts_run/xorg_blank.sh &
/home/tobias/scripts_run/wallpaper_change.sh &

# Debian-local change:
#   - fbautostart has been added with a quick hack to check to see if it
#     exists. If it does, we'll start it up by default.
which fbautostart > /dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    fbautostart
fi

# And last but not least we start fluxbox.
# Because it is the last app you have to run it with ''exec'' before it.

exec fluxbox
# or if you want to keep a log:
# exec fluxbox -log "/home/tobias/.fluxbox/log"

This is my configuration for tint3-cpp under ~/.config/tint3:

tint3rc

# Default tint3 configuration file.
#
# For information on manually configuring tint3 see:
#   https://github.com/jmc-88/tint3

# {{{ backgrounds
# ID 1
rounded = 0
border_width = 0
background_color = #000000 80
border_color = #000000 0

# ID 2
rounded = 0
border_width = 0
background_color = #000000 0
background_color_hover = #7f7f7f 40
background_color_pressed = #7f7f7f 70
border_color = #000000 0

# ID 3
rounded = 0
border_width = 0
background_color = #7f7f7f 80
border_color = #000000 0

# ID 4
rounded = 0
border_width = 0
background_color = #3f3f3f 90
border_color = #000000 0
# }}} backgrounds

# {{{ panel
panel_monitor = all
panel_position =  bottom center horizontal
panel_size = 100% 40
panel_items = LTBSC
panel_margin = 0 0
panel_padding = 0 0 0
panel_dock = 0
wm_menu = 1
panel_layer = normal
panel_background_id = 1
# }}} panel

# {{{ taskbar
taskbar_mode = single_desktop
taskbar_padding = 0 0 5
taskbar_background_id = 0
taskbar_active_background_id = 0
# }}} taskbar

# {{{ tasks
urgent_nb_of_blink = 20
task_icon = 1
task_text = 0
task_centered = 1
task_maximum_size = 48 30
task_padding = 9 8 0
task_background_id = 2
task_active_background_id = 3
task_urgent_background_id = 2
task_iconified_background_id = 2
# }}} tasks

# {{{ task icons
task_icon_asb = 100 0 0
task_active_icon_asb = 100 0 0
task_urgent_icon_asb = 100 0 0
task_iconified_icon_asb = 100 0 0
# }}} task icons

# {{{ system tray
systray = 1
systray_padding = 0 2 6
systray_sort = left2right
systray_background_id = 0
systray_icon_size = 22
systray_icon_asb = 100 0 0
# }}} system tray

# {{{ launchers
launcher_item_app = $HOME/.launchers/menu.desktop
# }}} launchers

# {{{ battery
battery = 1
battery_hide = 99
battery_low_status = 25
battery_low_cmd = notify-send --app-name=tint3 --expire-time=-1 --icon=dialog-warning "Battery level is <b>critically low</b>. Please connect your charger as soon as possible."
battery_padding = 10 6
battery_background_id = 0
bat1_font = Droid Sans Bold 10
bat2_font = Droid Sans 10
battery_font_color = #dcdcdc 100
# }}} battery

# {{{ clock
time1_format = %H:%M
time1_font = Droid Sans Bold 10
clock_font_color = #dcdcdc 100
clock_padding = 10 6
clock_background_id = 0
clock_lclick_command = gsimplecal
# }}} clock

# {{{ tooltips
tooltip = 1
tooltip_padding = 2 2
tooltip_show_timeout = 0.0
tooltip_hide_timeout = 0.0
tooltip_background_id = 4
tooltip_font = Droid Sans 10
tooltip_font_color = #dcdcdc 100
# }}} tooltips

# {{{ mouse
mouse_middle = none
mouse_right = close
mouse_scroll_up = toggle
mouse_scroll_down = iconify
mouse_effects = 1
mouse_hover_icon_asb = 100 0 25
mouse_pressed_icon_asb = 100 0 -25
# }}} mouse

Sound.

Installed the game, no sound))

How does it work?)) When I watch the video there is sound, when I play and watch the video through the browser there is no sound.

As for the panel, thank you very much for the script and example settings. I will definitely look and check them.
I'm just curious, is it possible to customize the panel without a script? What is the algorithm for setting tint3 ? I looked at the t2 settings there you can configure the panel graphically https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Tint2 or https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Tint2

We have two different sound-interfaces with ALSA and sndio. HyperbolaBSD won't have ALSA. Nevertheless Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre is having that and so we need to provide both sound-interfaces. First towards the manual approval: Please make sure that the daemon / service is NOT RUNNING. So you need to stop the service and make sure that no instance of sndio (sndiod) is running before you try for another manual setup.

The manual approval is ONLY FOR testing purpose. You have posted this throughout ALSA:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1

This shows that you have two different possible sound-interfaces via your hardware and the first used is HDMI. The default configuration for sndio tries to enumerate the first possible. You won't hear anything without any kind of HDMI-connection being available. Nevertheless you can disable the sound-channel you are not using. For example with this under /etc/modprobe.d/intel.conf:

options snd_hda_intel enable=0,1

Explanation: The driver snd_hda_intel makes it possible to enable or disable a card you don't need for example the first in the line (HDMI). Please remember to adjust that for your own usage and setup. This is for another system using an Intel-soundcard, yours seem to be for sure different. So you need also to look for that with:

lsmod | grep hdmi

jimmy wrote:

I'm just curious, is it possible to customize the panel without a script? What is the algorithm for setting tint3 ? I looked at the t2 settings there you can configure the panel graphically https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Tint2 or https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Tint2

Please look therefore at the upstream-project:
https://github.com/jmc-88/tint3
https://jmc-88.github.io/tint3/

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

Here are my steps :

1. Disabled sndioid service

doas rc-service sndiod stop

2. Created an intel.conf file ( /etc/modprobe.d/intel.conf )

touch intel.conf 

3. I introduced one of the options there (I don’t know which one to specifically introduce, I introduced the first option with HDMI)

lsmod | grep hdmi

snd_hda_codec_hdmi     73728  1
snd_hda_codec         167936  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core          106496  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_pcm               143360  9 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,soundwire_intel,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd                   114688  14 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm

options snd_hda_codec_hdmi =0,1

4. I rebooted the system so nothing works.

As for the panel , I have seen these sources . As for the panel setup, there is not a single setup example on his website or github. I don’t understand where you got the value from, why exactly did you make it up, and if, for example, I would like to use the Application Menu, what should I enter?

# {{{ launchers
launcher_item_app = $HOME/.launchers/menu.desktop
# }}} launchers

I did the same but it does not work for me, nothing appeared on the panel. Or is the panel not configurable separately and needs to be configured with fluxbox instead?

And I would like a little)) to install on this panel the sound applet, keyboard layouts, brightness, internet connection, time. At this stage, I do not need anything else for instructions. That is, the user installs the system, configures the tint3 panel instead of the lumina panel, which works with bugs. Then you can use the system normally. There may be something else that will not work correctly to replace ..

I think you have gotten that wrong: You need to find out the correct driver-name. This is for sure not snd_hda_codec_hdmi. Seems it is the same like in the example: snd_hda_intel

You need to look for sure close: I have created the folder .launchers myself in my HOME-folder. The content here for the desktop-file menu.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Hyperbola-Startmenu
Comment=Entry for launching menu
Icon=/home/tobias/.icons/hyperbola_icon_32.png
Exec=jgmenu --simple --csv-file="/home/tobias/.config/jgmenu/menu.csv"
Terminal=false
Categories=
StartupNotify=false

Please be aware that I have also have the icon-file in the separated folder .icons in my HOME. I use jgmenu with a very special individual CSV-configuration for me fitting. You can also use the command:

jgmenu_run

So yours can look alike:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Hyperbola-Startmenu
Comment=Entry for launching menu
Icon=/home/USER/.icons/hyperbola_icon_32.png
Exec=jgmenu_run
Terminal=false
Categories=
StartupNotify=false

Also to remind: You don't need to stop the sndio-service. This is only for testing-purpose or if the service is keeping to crash. This is just meant to get you more deeper into for analysis possible situations in the future. smile

Please tell me what I need to do in the end to make the sound work in Hyperbola?)) I did everything as you wrote and unfortunately there is no sound.
Who came up with this?))

It is not necessary for me to explain how it works and how it works, just a few commands to make the sound work. I will do as you write.

As for the panel. I also did not understand what needs to be done to make applets appear on the panel. What settings need to be changed?

I'll give you an example. There is an I3 window manager and an I3status panel. It is well documented and there are a huge number of examples and articles on the Internet, it is also located in the Hyperbola repo. If you asked me how to set it up, I would have explained it to you in one post or would have given several links to articles where it is described in great detail how to do it do But when we talk about setting up the tint3 panel, about which there is not a single article on the Internet and even in github. How can it be configured?

Developer tint3 works for google? Does he have it listed on gihtub? https://github.com/jmc-88/tint3

The sound getting to work with Hyperbola is twice: ALSA configuration and configuration for sndio. You can choose one also and remove the other. But please be aware that some applications are already using only sndio for the moment so they won't function. I cannot give you just some commands getting the sound working, but I will nevertheless try again to explain:

1. Please look close onto your external setup and then your wished configuration on the system itself. You wish for HDMI working with sound? Or some external speakers getting connected?

2. The tipp with ALSA and the command to enumerate the devices was to get knowledge which are there and present. Therefore you need to look into modprobe for example to enable or disable one of the cards (for example the HDMI).

3. There are three places to look into after all getting sndio running:

/etc/init.d/sndiod
/etc/conf.d/sndiod
/etc/sndio.conf

jimmy wrote:

Who came up with this?))

I don't understand that questioning: Hyperbola is clear into the transitioning for BSD. So we need also a sound- / music-server and the choice is clear to make for sndio.

It is your choice which window-manager to be used: fluxbox with tint3 is just one possible example of many. You can use for sure also i3. I have given you only that example. For the developer working at Google (or not): I don't see the point about why this is important being mentioned as tint3 is not related in any way to those actions.

I understand that all of this sounds complicated, but therefore I have tried in this thread to demonstrate how to look for errors and problems. But it won't be possible to give you that one guide as every system is different. So you need to figure out the possible solution with the hardware on your own, but surely with guidance when you have questions.

19 (edited by jimmy 2022-12-29 21:14:15)

Thanks for your detailed answer and your help. I appreciate it ! My logic is very simple. To make it clear to you, I follow these rules: very difficult to explain in simple language so that the child understands it.

I installed the system and would like the sound to work by default without additional settings. I do not need to connect external speakers (I would write about this separately in another topic), I need the sound to be from the PC speakers and headphones.

Now I can't set up the distro for the second day so that I can listen to the sound using the browser))
I did everything as you wrote but it doesn't work.
If you are ready to help me solve this problem, then I am also ready.

As for the panel. I agree with you that there are other options, I figured that I would install a distro and by default it would be easy enough for me to have the necessary applets on the panel without which it would be impossible to work. Now I found out that the Lumina panel works with bugs, so I decided to install another panel, but the elementary panel setup turns into a very long and complicated process, that is, it is not a rational waste of time. Setting up the panel in my opinion in any distro should be within 10-20 minutes but not two days))

As for the developer tint3 who says that he works in google, I just noticed because you often write that you only support free software. I would never even put the google logo on my page!

Per definition tint3 is surely free software as there is no combination towards Google as the developer has done that in his own free time and he does not need to let anyone know where working - again this has nothing to do with that project tint3. You would be surprised which packages are even more in relation towards companies and some have to be added for wide other software, but that's another story and Hyperbola has done the most to reach a minimum or even less to nothing of "corporate open-source" and use only free, libre projects as tint3 for example. And for the panel: We have different possibilities available, depends on your taste for sure. You had asked for a screenshot of my configuration and I followed that wish, including tipps how to configure. When you don't want to use fluxbox: There are jwm, icewm or i3wm as there is always the chance open to switch to a complete different window-manager.

For the sound: I had wide more time with different configurations. But for your personal setup: I can only recommend trying to disable the HDMI-sound as already mentioned.

The problem here was and is within the configuration under /etc/modprobe.d/intel.conf:

options snd_hda_codec_hdmi =0,1

That is the wrong configuration for sure. But I can only guess from here: You need to find out which sound-driver is loaded via lspci -v

My output as example:

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T440p
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 128
    Memory at 82838000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

So my configuration for sure fits here with:

The goal to reach: Just having the internal speakers and therefore running the second one (taken as copy from an earlier posting):

So my proposal: Please give the name of the loaded driver first and then we go from there. This to be done via lspci -v!
Thanks, but I also note here: I can only give hints and ideas. The last working configuration is up to you and I'm not able to provide any full working tutorial here. When I would do that, I would have no time for anything else as every system is different. So I hope you understand the point!

Aliluya!)))

I hear sound, play( extreme Tux Racer)  with sound!

Alluya!

I watch the video through the browser and hear the sound)))

You were right !!!!  I entered the correct driver for my audio card and everything worked after a reboot!

doas nano  /etc/modprobe.d/intel.conf 

add  my audio driver

reboot

Everything works !

I am very grateful to you that you helped me figure it out, and most importantly, that you did not throw this question away, as is usually the case on other forums,

Regarding the panel tint3. If there were examples of how to set it up, I would also bring it to the end, but since there are no examples anywhere, it is not clear how it works. I see that the tt panel works much better than lumina now I have it in the middle of the screen)) The icons of different programs are displayed very well on the panel when I use them.

Well? Let me get a bit of "sigh" now ... not that your questions are bad, it is more or less the known "unknown" as pointed out: Every system is different. smile We would like to help everyone but as mentioned: We would never come to an end then and therefore the small team behind Hyperbola has the tasks on different heads. But glad you made it: Congratulations! big_smile

Some alternatives for tint3:

tint2
bmpanel

I can only name you my selection reasoning: I want to configure the menu fully without depending on system-defined categories. Yes, would be also possible elsewhere but I like also the way hacking. Besides the mentioned panels: We have also more parts like wbar - if you want to try that.

Hello . Thank you very much again for your help. Okay, I'll try other panels myself, and I'll try to test your variant and write about the results.