Topic: [Hyperbola] Support for UXP-development

Hey together,

are interested to bring the UXP-applications further in development? You can for sure then support within the development of Iceweasel-UXP, Iceape-UXP and Icedove-UXP: Help debug for building and compiling, packaging and testing.

Please report back within this thread or also via the different communication-channels if you are interested.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: [Hyperbola] Support for UXP-development

A recommended extension: https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer  It can greatly reduce the size of the toolbars and tabs on small screens.

If interested: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … 5bfb7aafe9
This is the newest version, compiling for the moment not on i686 / 32bit.

You can create a chroot-environment also fitting on 64bit with libretools.
Before you do that you should create a copy of your pacman.conf under /etc/pacman.conf, named like /etc/pacman.conf.i686. It should look like this:

#
# /etc/pacman.conf
#
# See the pacman.conf(5) manpage for option and repository directives

#
# GENERAL OPTIONS
#
[options]
# The following paths are commented out with their default values listed.
# If you wish to use different paths, uncomment and update the paths.
#RootDir     = /
#DBPath      = /var/lib/pacman/
#CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
#LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
#GPGDir      = /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/
#HookDir     = /etc/pacman.d/hooks/
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/curl -C - -f %u > %o
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u
#CleanMethod = KeepInstalled
#UseDelta    = 0.7
Architecture = i686

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = 
#IgnoreGroup =

#NoUpgrade   =
#NoExtract   =

# Misc options
#UseSyslog
#Color
#TotalDownload
CheckSpace
#VerbosePkgLists

# By default, pacman accepts packages signed by keys that its local keyring
# trusts (see pacman-key and its man page), as well as unsigned packages.
#SigLevel    = Required DatabaseOptional
SigLevel    = Never
LocalFileSigLevel = Optional
#RemoteFileSigLevel = Required

# NOTE: You must run `pacman-key --init` before first using pacman; the local
# keyring can then be populated with the keys of all Arch/Hyperbola packagers
# with `pacman-key --populate arch` and `pacman-key --populate hyperbola`.

#
# REPOSITORIES
#   - can be defined here or included from another file
#   - pacman will search repositories in the order defined here
#   - local/custom mirrors can be added here or in separate files
#   - repositories listed first will take precedence when packages
#     have identical names, regardless of version number
#   - URLs will have $repo replaced by the name of the current repo
#   - URLs will have $arch replaced by the name of the architecture
#
# Repository entries are of the format:
#       [repo-name]
#       Server = ServerName
#       Include = IncludePath
#
# The header [repo-name] is crucial - it must be present and
# uncommented to enable the repo.
#

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

The relevant information here is the line:

Architecture = i686

After that you can create your chroot-environment like this:

doas librechroot -C /etc/pacman.conf.i686 -M /usr/share/pacman/defaults/makepkg.conf.i686 -n i686 make

And from this point on you are able to create a plain package within chroot-enviroment like on our build-server.
Hope this helps a bit!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

What's the issue on not building on 32 bit systems?

The version 2022.09.30 from UXP is crashing at building with an OOM (out of memory). There were different tryouts worthwhile, but with no further success for the moment. And this includes first only iceweasel-uxp as there are two more applications (iceape-uxp and icedove-uxp) with the need for more attention and some "love". smile

The patches now I'm working on are for the versions in our repositories running and include most better searchplugins and certificate-issues being fixed.

6 (edited by anthk 2023-01-19 10:54:00)

doas modprobe zram
doas zramctl --size 1024M /dev/zram0
doas mkswap /dev/zram0
doas swapon /dev/zram0

This wil add a compressed GB of RAM with ZRAM, my 1GB netbook works like a 2GB one.

Also,  you could always compile a 32 bit build
under a 64 bit machine with either a chroot or a VM.

Finally, clang uses far less RAM than GCC on compiling.

Hmm, thanks. I will give those information also to Gaming4JC. Perhaps you are interested to try that also local for a build running? Above steps enable you to do so. smile

Ok, I'll try to build under an Intel NUC with a Hyperbola VM under Trisquel.

Thanks, would be real interesting to see also combined it working with your recommendations. If this works we are ahead and can update UXP also to come.

the last version of iceweasel-uxp doesn't build for 64 bit as well, and g4jc think its the build environment that causing the issue,
this new version was add 5 weeks ago

Thanks for adding. A bit of a problem is: What part of the environment is causing the problem? Last time I have spoken with Gaming4JC he said 64bit-build could work, 32bit not.