Re: Hyperbola Project needs donations!

I would like to remember everyone that "free" does include also personal engagement: Supporting Hyperbola means doing "donations" on multiple ways.

You have interests in writing tutorials? Feel free doing that and share your experiences.
You have interests in development and building? Supporting the package-development is a good thing or even come to the weekly meetings in the IRC. HyperbolaBSD is going to get better and faster support when you support for sure.

Or you support elsewhere: Here in the forums with publishing your ideas. Just because Hyperbola is providing a "free system" does not mean that giving back something is not needed. Free and libre software and also culture can only exist with doing that. Without engagement, also financial support, free projects cannot exist. Yes, this means also altruism in one way. But you can get much back. Depends on your decision!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

We have received a late donation via wire-transfer (from the older noted details of the wiki-page for donations): Thanks for the 150 EUR supporting the further development for HyperbolaBSD. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Yes, it sounds quite annoying when I note again about donations being missing. But let's be clear: First things first Hyperbola as project is oriented onto transparency and can only support operations going directly towards HyperbolaBSD. We will never use the financial for something else as this is the absolute basic guarantee every patron and donating person can be sure of. Besides that to count in:

We have for the moment ...

€2.18 per week from 1 patron on Liberapay
€7 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

I like to remember every community-member that Hyperbola needs quite more financial support also as we like to have the funding for the development of the HyperbolaBSD-kernel working. For now we work every free minute as hard as possible within our free time. But our team is small and so are also our time-resources. We don't search for the "next big thing", we just want to bring out a system working on the will of its users fully, oriented on the free and libre culture on its roots. So it would be fine to get support for the project to have it running as it should. Thank you!

It is okay if people are no longer interested, but it would be nice furthermore to have you then elsewhere engaged? Financial support is needed, but we need also helping hands. So for sure we like to involve everyone within discussions and give a warm welcome. Documentation? Ideas for development? Support within HyperbolaBSD? Testing and QA? Improving packages on your own and share them here? So many choices, so much to do and so much hope you have fun here developing Hyperbola.

1,34 € per week from 1 patron on Liberapay
€20 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

It is just that easy: If there further interest to support Hyperbola as project we would also need money for further and faster implementation. Without that we can only focus on what noted already. Please remember: All this here needs some money and besides the system being free and libre does not make it like gratis with included services. A bit of giving back is always welcome and keeping this project alive and running.

55 (edited by auanta 2023-02-28 15:40:01)

Hello fellow hyperbolas,

I've been thinking. This project needs grant money. If anyone has the skill or ability to connect it to grants, please do. If I find anything I will let you know.

If you need a proofreader or editor for writing an essay on why Hyperbola needs the grant, what makes Hyperbola the best distro, let me know. I am a persuasive writer.

To start with, someone can create a list of potential grants for Hyperbola to consider (from trustworthy sources, I know some orgs can be shady so they have to be vetted according to whether/if they would have any influence on Hyperbola's independence).

Of course the best thing is to have a variety of money sources so that if we lose one then all is not lost, and we can resist any financial coercion.

throgh wrote:

Just to inform all that we won't receive funding from NLnet Foundation. The reasoning is therefore to be called:

just do not fit well enough within a certain fund

Please be also aware that we are not giving up anything or are for sure angry therefore. So the point is not that anyone here needs to be angry at the mentioned foundation. Frustration? Okay, that's for sure a common point and understanding. Nevertheless: There will be a way forward and therefore to remember that all is counting. Every little donation, every kind of support. If you want something be faster working, well give a helping hand. Testing? Yes, needed. Support within the wiki and documentation? Of course. You just need to raise a hand and give some people of the team a sign. We are there and you can contact us throughout the forum, IRC, Tox or some way else. smile

I am willing to review the grant application's persuasive essay to see if there is any way we could try editing it, maybe NLnet simply did not understand the unique value that Hyperbola offers the world.

Hyperbola is a community-driven project. It is one thing to rely on grants, but another to rely fully on that base and having the community out of the responsibility. I underline again: The project is by the community for the community. So if there is no further engagement, just demands for packaging or we cannot get more help with the analyzing of errors and issues, this takes just more time. Having a grant creates also a kind of dependency. The essential first question stays: Is there any kind of will for more personal support from community-members? That's a clear and straight forward question everyone can answer for own demands. smile

And I add: We need support adding a VPS for a build-server. Yes, possible doing so on the so-called own pocket. Is this community-driven while the build-time for packages, the real packaging effort, comes towards everyone? Nope, for sure not. The minimum costs here are round about 30 EUR per month for such a system to rent, installing and configuration onwards our side. That is nothing we get from any grant, same way as we don't get payment for forum, issue-tracker and many other parts. That is part for the project, part for the community. To make a difference: A grant is something defining a goal we need to reach and then get payed for (in relation towards NLnet). We don't reach that point? We don't get the grant. Easy, straight but harsh same way. So again, dear community: What should it be? Demanding packaging, fixes and updates - sure they come, but very slow as we have enough issues to solve also with a local build-server - or a bit more straight forward solutions? And no: At this point we have no debate about how to help packaging as a VPS-host don't ask for packaging or documentation, just for pure money. Sorry, but that's the harsh reality and I don't hide anything here or make a drama out of it. Also: It does not help searching then for different other solutions or cheaper ones. The pricing is as it is.

And there is no problem when people state what is missing for having financial support. But please: Not again the known "crypto-currency"-debate. You can support also without having your name shown, we can also activate wire-transfers back and only give back the current money transferred and used monthly in a different thread here. It is senseless to debate with donations made causing even more work like done with whatever kind of "crypto-currency". We have removed them for exactly that reasoning as we see them critical.

58 (edited by auanta 2023-03-01 03:35:18)

Well then, in that case it sounds like there needs to be a volunteer writing for the wiki and working on the VPS. I will ponder on this. I sent you a message.

Grants for HyperbolaBSD are surely a good way forward, but the basic parts are a bit different there. Sorry, if I sound harsh but the reality is like that for the moment: We do what we can and also would like to orient for grants. But our current packaging and infrastructure is another point as it is clearly to be seen that donations are way beyond for that. hmm

1,34 € per week from 1 patron on Liberapay
€45 per month from 1 patron on Patreon

61 (edited by auanta 2023-03-02 16:08:22)

throgh wrote:

Grants for HyperbolaBSD are surely a good way forward, but the basic parts are a bit different there. Sorry, if I sound harsh but the reality is like that for the moment: We do what we can and also would like to orient for grants. But our current packaging and infrastructure is another point as it is clearly to be seen that donations are way beyond for that. hmm

I am with you in spirit throgh, and I am trying to figure out how to free up time to become skilled in the areas needed to be of use to you guys since I decided to commit to it and stay here, I really want to say yes but right now I am really overwhelmed with fires to put out, mainly within my indigenous community. I am up to my eyeballs in trying to get some stability, I can barely feed myself and have health problems. My major task comes in the form of grants. I am training to find a way to get grants for my people right now, so we can survive into the next generation, because I am doing that I wanted to volunteer to also do it for Hyperbola, two birds one stone style. Beyond that, I will need to get more organized before I can make more commitments even though what I would really prefer is to have fun developing on Hyperbola or learning medicine, I would be overextending myself, I wish I had a clone so I could do it all hmm

First the health is coming. Sorry, but there I'm strict: Please take care about health for you and remember everyone else doing so. We would be glad when having grants to support HyperbolaBSD. Especially because 64bit is one thing to work on and 32bit the other thing. Having people to support either in time or getting money helping to port? That would be great.

Here you can find for example the data we have used for NL-net: https://repo.hyperbola.info:50000/other … sentation/

63 (edited by zapper 2023-03-04 04:35:34)

Wish I could help, but not now... sad

Kind of not heavy on money.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

No pressure please and not so to be read when I remember about this: You have helped many times, zapper. It is more to remember if others want to do that also. smile

throgh wrote:

No pressure please and not so to be read when I remember about this: You have helped many times, zapper. It is more to remember if others want to do that also. smile

Would be nice for sure, I especially hope more architectures get added in the future too.

Especially anything microwatt like or risc-v like.

But that for sure is another day lol.

This is only possible with more financial support and more man-power to get into. Some kind of viscious circle: It could be solved in some way, but on another only if people want to care more for strict principles in regards to freedom. We from Hyperbola know for sure that not all is easy, but making bad deals won't end good, dear readers outside.

throgh wrote:

This is only possible with more financial support and more man-power to get into. Some kind of viscious circle: It could be solved in some way, but on another only if people want to care more for strict principles in regards to freedom. We from Hyperbola know for sure that not all is easy, but making bad deals won't end good, dear readers outside.

Agreed there on all of the above.

I don't know which would be the best to add first tho anyhow.

For all we know, microwatt and libre-soc might end up being mega ultra easy to add and the other two, risc-v and arm64 or other arm(s) might be annoyingly irritating.

But this would require the more libre architectures to be worked on more probably to the point where HyperbolaBSD could add them with a similar level of ease to x86, or better.

But yes, the funding issue is the most giant problem here.

I probably could have owned my own MNT Reform by now, except for my love of this distro.

Not even exaggerating lol.

But this project puts all the other ones to shame by actually caring about freedom issues in the correct order:

Freedom, Privacy, Security, Stability, Lightweightness,  Needed,

And bloatware is not on the considerations list.

The only time you guys ever add anything even close to bloatware is if there isn't one that isn't debloated enough and there is no other way.

Some packages hit this mark, but 99% of the time, you don't add bloat except if there is a needed purpose that can only be satisified that way.

I am paraphrasing on this one, becuase that is how I see it.

Which means it would cause stability, or some other issue without it.

This runs in contrast to the distros out there that do it more like this:

Eye Candy/Bloat, Needed, Stability, Freedom, Security, Privacy

The other distros do this and it blows my mind. All those bloated system core libraries, or other system core packages should be optional for pretty much everything.

If it is a bloated piece of trash, it shouldn't be required as mandatory when it doesn't need to be, ever.  Such as specific packages with dbus level bloat.

If something requires a massively bloated library or programming language type thing or to put it another way:

A system core type package that is bloated and its not essential, you guys avoid it as much as possible.

But this all being said, I am hopeful more people will donate here for a change and not to a distro that does the status quo and barely changes anything and/or claims real freedom while having not much different from the current debian.

Use your imagination and I think you know who I mean.

big_smile

We have now:

€3.56 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
€55 per month from 3 patrons on Patreon

Thank you! smile

We have now:

€3.56 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
€53 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

Just to underline: We cannot make other CPU-architecture possible when there is no possibility to get help throughout monetization. Furthermore also to underline: Hyperbola is a system-project. We have no interest into focus on other parts like BIOS-development. There was once a proposal with "hyperboot" in our roadmap but this was removed as being absolutely out of scope. Please let's stay realistic and not build some dreamcastles around. Hyperbola needs support at a base as we do what we can to make our current system further as stable and perfect as possible. Also we focus nevertheless on our HyperbolaBSD!

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

This quote from Robert A. Heinlein is an iteration of another famous sentence, but nevertheles describing the situation. In an ideal world this could and would be different, but under the current circumstances there are costs we have. So for sure donating money in special is nothing to be enforced. But when people in the community have the possibility to do so the Hyperbola-project can profit from your donations. Doing free and helpful engagement is essential for a free society, but there are costs. And if we delegate absolutely everything towards non-free software, non-free services and non-free platforms we won't be able to hold up a free and libre society. If we take all as given without granting support, we don't help for sure.

We have now:

€4,42 per week from 3 patrons on Liberapay
€53 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

It is also possible to reactivate wire-transfers if there is enough feedback so we can document this here.

I would recommend it if its possible, for those who don't like the other options.

i would recommend to add wire transfer as well as monero, but we would come back to the same question of how we keep our donations transparent?

Hey together, the initial idea was to create a closed thread were I or somebody else post the current transaction. So for every new transaction and donation received there would be another posting with details, including then refreshed state of the sum in a whole. smile

74 (edited by ConstantMotion 2023-04-08 18:42:23)

Just seeing how inappropriate my posting was here, sorry, I'll start another thread for it.

We have reactivated the "wire-transfers" and "Paypal" again in the wiki: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … :donations
You can look at the concurrent state in this thread.