1 (edited by aloniv 2023-01-28 08:53:28)

Topic: Is there a compositing window manager available on Hyperbola?

Something like Compiz that supports effects like airplane (the window folds and then flies away when minimizing it), magic lamp and desktop cube?
Admittedly, I'm usually fed up with these effects after a few weeks/months but I do like using them occasionally. I assume such a window manager might not align with Hyperbola's minimalistic goals but some of the effects like magnifying text should be useful regardless.

Re: Is there a compositing window manager available on Hyperbola?

Not for now as we only have compositing-managers for sure. There is also no further port under OpenBSD existing, so in this case I'm sorry but we cannot support this package in detail. compiz would need metacity and this is not in the ports also. You can for sure tryout to build own packages and share them here in the forums.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thanks. I did manage to compile and install Wayfire (similar to Compiz) on Hyperbola (I can share the PKGBUILDs I downloaded and modified from Arch and AUR but they probably aren't clean enough for Hyperbola). Is it possible to run it? If so, how?

4 (edited by anthk 2023-01-28 19:52:55)

You can run picom along openbox with fbpanel and zzzfm+udevil (for instance) under ~/.xsession:

udevil &
zzzfm &
fbpanel &
exec openbox-session

Use lxappareance to set the GTK2/3 theme. Obconf, for a matching OpenBOX theme.
I have a tweaked theme for Zukitre, both for OpenBOX and GTK3.
EDIT: wayfire it's for wayland. So, I don't know the wayland status for Hyperbola.

picom can be run directly within Openbox via the terminal. Wayfire doesn't work that way though sad

Wayfire is only for wayland and Hyperbola does not provide that support.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I understand that it isn't supported but can it be run? In order to compile wayfire I also compiled wayland, so wayland and wayfire can be installed without requiring software removed from Hyperbola (such as systemd and dbus).

Unknown from my side: Possible for sure, but our X-server is especially not oriented onto wayland-integration. You would have to look into the older 0.3-tag for extra:

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … 200d56692e
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … 200d56692e