Topic: Question regarding frugality and Hyperbola server load

I've heard that the costs of running a server can be quite high, so I've been trying to be frugal and place as little of a load as possible on people's servers in order to be more eco-friendly and not cause any budget problems for the people running them

However, yesterday, I wanted to help test HyperbolaBSD components and also see if I could port Anarch to HyperbolaBSD, so I git-cloned a bunch of HyperbolaBSD components from Hyperbola's git. Then, I realized that I had accidentally downloaded over a gigabyte of stuff from Hyperbola's git, so I felt quite guilty, as if I was ruining Hyperbola and driving it to bankruptcy by placing such a massive load on its servers. And I haven't yet figured out how to compile and/or run most of the stuff I have downloaded, so I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to "give back" by porting software or sending in bug reports or whatever.

Now, I'm aware that there are mirrors that help Hyperbola deal with this load, but still. What I want to ask is:
Do my attempts to be frugal server-wise help Hyperbola, and should other people adopt this approach too?
And should I continue to religiously avoid downloading any large packages in order to not place too much load upon Hyperbola, or am I misdirecting my efforts?
And should I continue to feel guilty about git-cloning over a gigabyte of stuff which I haven't yet figured out how to compile and/or run? Have I negatively affected Hyperbola and the free software movement by doing this?

I hereby liberate ALL works of my own posted in the forums, to the fullest extent allowed, under the CC0+a waiver of all other restrictions
Promote love!

Re: Question regarding frugality and Hyperbola server load

As far seen there was not that much impact. But helping would be more in the direction of testing and porting the userspace for example: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/hyperb … /?h=stage1

We have removed anarch for the reasoning that there is no port and it is surely not that important as package as others. Also because it is in need of some x-server running. And we are surely not at this point with HyperbolaBSD. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Question regarding frugality and Hyperbola server load

Hm, I will try to study more about system internals, this may help me aid HyperbolaBSD in the condition I am in

I hereby liberate ALL works of my own posted in the forums, to the fullest extent allowed, under the CC0+a waiver of all other restrictions
Promote love!