1 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2023-05-24 04:57:25)

Topic: error: target not found: base

pacstrap /mnt base
==> Creating install root at /mnt
==> Installing packages to /mnt
: : Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
error: target not found: base
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root

I tried installing the individual packages from the base group

pacstrap /mnt bash-shcompat bzip2 coreutils
error: target not found: bash-shcompat
pacman -Ss bash-shcompat

shows that bash-shcompat is installed.

Re: error: target not found: base

Sorry, but with this information it would be just a guess: https://www.hyperbola.info/groups/i686/base/
base is an existing group and therefore to be found within the repositories. And bash-shcompat (https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/cor … -shcompat/) is part of the ISO-image, so it is surely installed. Have you made the control having an online-connection?

Because ...

core is up to date
extra is up to date

Is slightly showing that pacstrap as command is not going the normal way as it should get information from a mirror. If you are installing in the way before with the ISO-image from disk, again the recommendation: Please use a disk connected to your computer through USB or any optical medium created (likewise DVD) at best.

Have you checked your /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Have you made the control having an online-connection?

Yes, I tested with ping.

If you are installing in the way before with the ISO-image from disk, again the recommendation:

I burned the ISO to DVD.

Have you checked your /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist?

Yes, they look ok.

It seems like hyperbola has the host system and target system mixed up. It's looking for packages on my mounted partition instead of looking for them on the installation dvd.

Mesh Malachi wrote:

It seems like hyperbola has the host system and target system mixed up. It's looking for packages on my mounted partition instead of looking for them on the installation dvd.

No, Hyperbola is not looking for packages on your mounted partition. It is always assumed that packages are downloaded from a mirror - therefore I have asked you on your pacman-configuration. When you control with the command pacman -Ss PACKAGE you will for sure get the information taken from the ISO as this is the one running for that particular moment.

When you are NOT within the mounted partition (done with arch-chroot /mnt) there is nothing Hyperbola could do with it. The command pacstrap is doing a sync-process with available mirrors and then installing what you have added - group and / or single packages named.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2023-05-24 08:44:50)

throgh wrote:

It is always assumed that packages are downloaded from a mirror - therefore I have asked you on your pacman-configuration.

/etc/pacman.conf has core and extra repos enabled and Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist for each repo.

The servers in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist match this file: https://repo.hyperbola.info:50000/other … orlist.txt

I can't find anything wrong with these two files and I haven't edited them except to change SigLevel to Never.

You can try different other methods as Hyperbola is sharing its basics with Arch GNU/Linux also: Meaning unpacking the files direct on your mounted partition without using pacstrap and doing all the rest manual likewise: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Instal … ting_Linux

Beware nevertheless that those guides and tipps may differ for Hyperbola - as said roots sharing means not all details for sure.

can i suggest trying a diffrent mirror by putting # before all mirrors and just leaving the one you will install the packages from, try each one if needed.
maybe its a mirror problem!

8 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2023-05-30 17:51:35)

The mirrors are not the problem. I was able to pacstrap in a desktop VM, but the very same ISO on the same network gives me "target not found" when I try to pacstrap baremetal on a laptop.

Very strange.

I finally got it to pacstrap. It didn't work when I was trying to overwrite Parabola OS. But I was able to overwrite Trisquel OS and pacstrap to an empty partition.

I wonder if there is some kind of interference with pacman-based distros.

Wait, you have tried to overwrite an existing operating-system? That would have been better to use cfdisk before and recreating the partitions you want to use. This detail would have been for sure very important as Hyperbola is sharing namespaces for packages and groups, also more could get into interference.

throgh wrote:

Wait, you have tried to overwrite an existing operating-system? That would have been better to use cfdisk before and recreating the partitions you want to use.

I was re-using just one partition, so I didn't think I needed to re-partition.

This detail would have been for sure very important as Hyperbola is sharing namespaces for packages and groups, also more could get into interference.

It would be a good idea to add a note to the installation wiki page. The pacstrap error was very misleading.

Okay, thanks. Will take a look on.