Topic: cannot start cupsd

After installing cupsd I get the following error:

doas rc-service cupsd start
 * Starting cupsd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/usr/sbin/cupsd'
 * Failed to start cupsd                                                 [ !! ]
 * ERROR: cupsd failed to start
groups
sys disk lp wheel http games network video audio optical storage scanner input power users
let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

Re: cannot start cupsd

You would need to replicate the whole start-process of cups. So you need to get first full root-privileges with "su" and afterwards lookout for what is done under /etc/init.d/cupsd and what parameters are used in /etc/conf.d/cupsd (when available). As long direct related to the package: There is no confd-configuration, so you would nevertheless need to start the daemon with /usr/sbin/cupsd and look for problems and errors when starting.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You would need to replicate the whole start-process of cups. So you need to get first full root-privileges with "su" and afterwards lookout for what is done under /etc/init.d/cupsd and what parameters are used in /etc/conf.d/cupsd (when available). As long direct related to the package: There is no confd-configuration, so you would nevertheless need to start the daemon with /usr/sbin/cupsd and look for problems and errors when starting.

Thank you for your reply.

If I understood correctly there isn't a preconfigure settings.Is this why I cannot start it using openrc?

Some more info:

A)

cat /etc/init.d/cupsd
#!/sbin/openrc-run
# Copyright 1999-2016 Gentoo Foundation
# Copyright 2019 Hyperbola Project
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later

description="The Common Unix Printing System service"
command="/usr/sbin/cupsd"

depend() {
    use net
    before nfs
    after logger
}

start_pre() {
    checkpath -q -d -m 0775 -o root:lp /var/cache/cups
    checkpath -q -d -m 0775 -o root:lp /var/cache/cups/rss
    checkpath -q -d -m 0755 -o root:lp /run/cups
    checkpath -q -d -m 0511 -o daemon:sys /run/cups/certs
}

B)

/etc/conf.d/cupsd 

is empty

C)
running

/usr/sbin/cupsd 

as root gives no error but still I cannot access localhost:631

D)

/usr/sbin/cupsd -t
Unknown directive LogFileGroup on line 34 of /etc/cups/cups-files.conf.
"/etc/cups/cups-files.conf" contains errors.

E)

awk 'NR < 34 { next } { print } NR == 34 { exit }' /etc/cups/cups-files.conf
LogFileGroup adm

Regarding the "conf.d"-advice: This was more meant for debugging a service in general for the future, giving therefore you a helping hint how to do that. In regards for cups: I assume you are using stable-branch. So this was solved some time ago as a Debian-patch given the wrong configuration-statement included. You can therefore rebuild cups for the moment on your own with the files here: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … /tree/cups

Just download all included and go on with "makepkg -s" than in the corresponding folder. smile

The patch being removed is to be find within the PKGBUILD:

rm -v debian/patches/0006-Debian-Set-LogFileGroup-to-adm.patch || true

So you have already found the error on your own and that is what to be reached as no one can now take this knowledge away. Thanks for debugging! With upcoming 0.4.3-release this is already solved. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I appreciate your help. I am looking forward for the next release.