Topic: Linux-libre

Why my laptops are warm, there are no running processes, the top does not show the load, while Sensors shows the temperature 10 degrees higher than on the analogous slackware, which has for example KDE.
What's wrong with this Kernel Libre?

Re: Linux-libre

You know taking into perspective that you you have not provided any single bit of more information for analysis this would be most guessing. Otherwise you may ask upstream: https://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

The minimum would be: What kind of computers you have Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre installed? What version of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre? What configuration is used for which environment? Only terminal? What kind of window-manager you have in usage? The command top not showing further details on the current load is a hint that your system(s) may be completely incompatible with Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre as Slackware is not running any kind of libre package. Alternative would be a tryout for Freenix: http://www.freenix.net/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I wrote about slackware, because I know this system and used it before Hyperbola.
I am accustomed that when I do not use a laptop, it is cold and heats up during activity. And after switching to a hyperbola, the laptop is always warm. Which surprises me.
Configuration does not matter, the console itself is also warm.
Lenovo X200, X220, X230, T440P are all heating.
I conducted a small investigation and it looks like it is it despite closing the laptop cover, the processor continues to work.
Lenovo T440P
Slackware Live: Idle system, screen off, but the system works = temperature 41 degrees.
Slackware Live: Idle system, screen enabled = 56 degrees
HyperBola: Various configurations, it is always around 57 degrees.

It seems that Libre Kernel cannot sleep the processor responsible for graphics.

You can take influence on your own setting up the concurrent scaling governors: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling
But the comparison is not working as you compare a system with KDE installed and therefore D-Bus in usage with a system not having this available. You need to take care on your own regarding this and the corresponding way how to get your system working on Hyperbola.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!