Topic: Articles: Renewal of encrypted installation

Hello together,

we were noted in IRC that both articles about encrypted installation have severe flaws and do not fully work. Listing them here:

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation

As consequence and regarding lack of time for our small team we will now archive them. But not without the question if there is interest to write completely now ones so we also archive them as pads for review:

Encrypted installation, excluding boot
https://pad.riseup.net/p/sjmKVqsWaEW1FrTNhs_1-keep

Encrypted installation, including boot
https://pad.riseup.net/p/Q8M6jURLL2eglCyYqRK1-keep

You can edit the pads as you like for sure and / or give within this thread feedback. As for the time being the forum-user and community-member jim have some further guides provided:

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=934
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=920
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=933

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Articles: Renewal of encrypted installation

This article were never dreamed completed and were sadly always empided in ts publishing either through control of the editing or through burucratic death by thousand cuts. Doacracy should be the principle followed let people do their vision and only at the end critizise. Control and power abuse is not the answer if you wish for a horizontal project tobias

We talk in tox.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thanks for mentioning me, as soon as I repair my PC I plan to make another LUKS2 instruction with full encryption including boot.

My instructions are test installations, so this is not a sample)) If someone does it better than me, that would be great!

irelativism wrote:

This article were never dreamed completed and were sadly always empided in ts publishing either through control of the editing or through burucratic death by thousand cuts. Doacracy should be the principle followed let people do their vision and only at the end critizise. Control and power abuse is not the answer if you wish for a horizontal project tobias

A "Do-ocracy" only works when people feeling responsible for a task also finish the task, irelativism. We both have talked about that and while those articles were not even finished, other articles were restructured. That was and is the point for criticism. Nothing more. So please let us not imply something more being never there. Hyperbola is in need for a clear information and not for reworking articles at any point. Also to point out: You wanted to restructure the whole way Hyperbola works and enforce encryption for everyone. While you see that needed, others see it not and that was and is the point. You first need to have a working article and workflows before you go further. That was not possible, but you wanted nevertheless to rework everything and now describe the discussions we had about that with "burucratic death by thousand cuts" which is miles away from the reality. Nobody did any cut just the clear way of a working encryption. Please stay at the point of truth and not of constructed scandals and dramatic staging.

The articles being archived for a reasoning as this thread was created from the same intention as before. It was also recalled in the IRC to make clear that when there is interest people can surely work on better articles or use the existing for new creations. So after our talk in tox it should be clear that there was no power abuse as you implied here. I'm sorry if you think or thought so, but not functional articles brought more criticism here.

And with the wording "do-ocracy" combined people would just state:

"Hey, your article is lacking information and does not work. May I support?"

That simple sentence never occured even as we tried hard to motivate. The sentence we have got was:

"Hey, your article is lacking information and does not work. Make it work!"

That's the issue and making me or other members of the team indirect or direct responsible is also not working in any way. That's all I will add as an answer here as everything else is driving the thread off-topic. We have also no further time for noise and scandals made out of nothing. Everyone is invited for doing and helping, but it should nevertheless focus on:

- HyperbolaBSD-transitioning
- minimalism for packaging
- clear documentation

This thread was opened exactly out of the intention for clear documentation. But it is also not helping when we copy something from Gentoo or elsewhere and leaving the articles unfinished. All this was and had / has to be corrected. I think we have done the best possible over the past months in this situation. So please understand that this commentary is not helping. And while this is not helping I think it is also understandable that being criticized should be done fair, not with accusations out of thin air or implying something being never here (like "power abuse"). Nobody needs a statue here, but a little bit of fairness is all being asked for. Being confronted with hearsay and other not very fine moves in the forums or elsewhere is something we do not have time for and being honest clear do not want to discuss endless. And this will be my last posting here on that matter, irelativism. I have no time to discuss those points endless, if people are not willing to listen and act the wording "do-ocracy" is not fitting besides we have never chosen this in any article and / or posting. Theory sound nice, but reality shows different and that is the point.

Please do not use dramatic stagings, when you don't have the full amount of information. You can always ask and should do that for sure BEFORE you post such accusations like:

irelativism wrote:

Control and power abuse is not the answer if you wish for a horizontal project tobias

Besides you use only me as projection and that is something I'm not okay with. I have explained now all happenings towards you. Just to leave also this note: We see a common responsibility also for us and therefore we do not make every talk and every comment open. Otherwise this would lead to a complete misunderstanding when people do not have read all and nevertheless want to say something. Same as you have done now here. You have criticized me without having all information. It is your right to do so, nevertheless this has now following consequences: The way working together needs another time for "healing", irelativism. Please use time to reflect a bit. And NO: Nobody is banned here therefore. But personal I don't understand those immediate attacks - yes, attacks in my perspective - getting also that quite personal. In my perspective it is not working that way to draw a picture of undemocratic decision-makings here and make accusations that harsh. Those articles are never gone, just archived. So this is not a dystopian way and Hyperbola do it same as other projects, even more asking the community. Getting this feedback is unkind, unfair and not helpful.

jim wrote:

Thanks for mentioning me, as soon as I repair my PC I plan to make another LUKS2 instruction with full encryption including boot.

My instructions are test installations, so this is not a sample)) If someone does it better than me, that would be great!

Please do, I am curious

smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!