Topic: What hardware do you use for Hyperbola?

Hello community,

would be interesting to read which hardware is in use to run Hyperbola. Speaking about myself: I'm running the system on the following devices.

• ThinkPad X200 with Libreboot

• ThinkPad X230T with Coreboot and Intel ME most deactivated

• PC-Engines APU2C4 as little homeserver, using Coreboot

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: What hardware do you use for Hyperbola?

Thinkpad T60 with a mostly free coreboot.

Asus EeePC 1025C mini laptop

Asus EeePc 900

5 (edited by zapper 2019-02-28 23:07:30)

I use an x200. My other device currently uses Trisquel, but I do plan to change that in the future. Although, I also plan to get a corebooted x230 soon without the ethernet blob/ethernet crap. smile

I am curious how to put Hyperbola on the coreboot with FDE and the other one I may just get rid of in the future, its a kororapenguin.  Not quite sure how much its worth now though. ;/

It has 250SSDS though and 4 gbs of ram.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Thinkpad L430 with non-free BIOS.

T400 Libreboot wink

Dell XPS17 laptop

X200  (libreboot) still, and X230 as well (coreboot + me cleaned mostly)

Mains:
HP Compaq 8300 Elite SFF

Server:
HP Compaq Presario CQ5000

Laptop:
Acer Aspire 3620

Former Server:
HP Compaq dx2450

Former Mains:
HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF

Librebooted X200 and Librebooted X60

I've still got Trisquel (Uruk) on my T400 because of lack of previous Arch experience and communication difficulties but hopefully that can change soon.

asus u36sd laptop

-its full of propietary junk tough
-at least all hardware expect bluetooth worked fine under hyperbola
-dedicated gpu doesnt work so well, heat problem might occur during heavy task
-worked fine on ssd drive with multiple ram

Thinkpad X200T (libreboot)

bemc wrote:

Thinkpad X200T (libreboot)

me too!

Libreboot X200 alias "Bombardino"

Still this:

X200  (libreboot) still, and X230 as well (coreboot + me cleaned mostly)

and occasionally another older not so used x200 libreboot.

Changed towards X220 as it only has one chip for the BIOS and has therefore reduced complexity while the X230(T) got two chips split up with the Management-Engine (more complexity for proprietary content ahead). Furthermore X200 and X60 with Libreboot!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thinkpad x60s with Libreboot

first laptop
LIBREBOOK
macbook 2.1 motherboard hack, on to a macbook pro 15 5.1 aluminium chassis. some EC modifications with libreboot

second laptop
thinkpad T60

P.S. I think in terms of security this threath is a really bad idea, probably would be better if a list, kinda of like h-node.org, of working devices is created so no user can become a target. Cheers.

20 (edited by zapper 2020-10-23 18:24:39)

i3_relativism wrote:

first laptop
LIBREBOOK
macbook 2.1 motherboard hack, on to a macbook pro 15 5.1 aluminium chassis. some EC modifications with libreboot

second laptop
thinkpad T60

P.S. I think in terms of security this threath is a really bad idea, probably would be better if a list, kinda of like h-node.org, of working devices is created so no user can become a target. Cheers.

Yeah, I have to agree with you.   You are darn right.  when I read this, I thought, maybe this wasn't smart.

hmm

Heh...

Maybe we should create a wiki page for devices?
Would anyone support that idea I can coordenate it with Gaming maybe so we can release portuguese and english version at the same time.

22 (edited by throgh 2020-11-13 02:01:17)

Well I don't think that having some global information about used hardware is that much of a problem as it seems to be some kind of Security through obscurity which is not very helpful using to keep it "secret". If some individuals could be attacked this can be done on so many other levels and ways that this information does not even count in the first place - getting information throughout "social engineering" is just one example. And it is helpful for people having interest getting more into libre hardware and the initial setup.

But yes, having possible information about libre hardware is also helpful on a global level!

ASRock with Intel H61 Chipset

24 (edited by MamãoMutante 2023-02-20 18:19:44)

Before I switched to Hyperbola, I used to use a Lenovo Ideapad 320-14IKB (Model: 80YF), but as I started looking into the sussy proprietary firmware in it, I became more and more afraid of using such laptop, to the point where I started to outright refuse to use it. Not only does it have an Intel ME, but the Wi-Fi is non-free

After a long time of trying to find out a solution, I discovered that my mom's laptop (an Acer Aspire E 15; E5-571-33ZU) is slightly more freedom-friendly, so now we share it. It too has an Intel ME, but the battery is removable so I can (atleast in theory) temporarily disable the ME by removing all power sources. The Wi-Fi is libre so it is easy to run blob-free distros (tried Trisquel on BIOS, later replaced by Hyperbola on UEFI)

I must note that both of these laptops are flawed freedom-wise and I heavily recommend NOT buying them. They were obtained back when me and my parents didn't know about the importance of free software/firmware. Nowadays, I am loud about my criticism of proprietary software/firmware (such as Intel ME) and I warn my parents about its dangers. I also make it clear that I value freedom over modernity, so I refused my father's proposal to get me a more modern (read: more proprietary) laptop.

I hereby liberate ALL works of my own posted in the forums, to the fullest extent allowed, under the CC0+a waiver of all other restrictions
Promote love!

Thinkpad X200 with Libreboot