Topic: Problems with Kernel 4.9.150

Hey community,

has anybody also encountered problems with the newest kernel-update 4.9.150? After doing a normal update from 4.9.143 I was not able to boot up into GUI or console. sad

Will do another test later with another system using LXQt. This one is with Gnome and a modified version of lightdm!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Problems with Kernel 4.9.150

Downgrade to version 4.9.143 and everything else is functional again - console and GUI. And yes, there was only this one package to be updated. Checked it multiple times. The only way to fix my problem was to boot using an external USB-drive with the last concurrent ISO-image and using arch-chroot to use the older packaged kernel from cache.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Interesting sidenote: Changed to another mirror and no update is in the queue: https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/hyperbola/
When using otherwise https://ftp.cixug.es/hyperbola I've got this package. Besides those mirrors seem to be not in synchronization, is there something wrong with the current package?

4 (edited by throgh 2019-01-18 21:12:45)

Well, this is a real bad package: Even another system has no possibilitiy booting into console or GUI. After another downgrade everything is functional again. This time there was also no further modification as no user-defined greeter is used and only lightdm-gtk-greeter was in usage!

Errors could happen, but please could somebody have a closer look onto that? Until this is fixed I'll prefer my local storage mirror. sad
Perhaps telling here what went wrong or what could be done otherwise to prevent not entering the concurrent running level? Some clues needed or perhaps even a newer kernel.

And it seems there is also something wrong with the shown packages and updates on the website itself: linux-libre-lts 4.9.150_gnu-1 is not even released as the repository is showing linux-libre-lts 4.9.150_gnu-0.

6 (edited by zapper 2019-01-19 02:32:23)

I have the same awful problem, when it gets to lxdm my x200 laptop won't move any further. I will email emulatorman post haste about this...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

I have the same awful problem, when it gets to lxdm my x200 laptop won't move any further. I will email emulatorman post haste about this...

Thanks for the reply, I think there was already some fix when looking at the git-repository for core: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … .git/refs/
Hope the package-builder gets it soon so this is solved.

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I think there was already some fix when looking at the git-repository for core: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … .git/refs/

Thankfully he reverted it... smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:
throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Thankfully he reverted it... smile

Absolutely, thanks for reporting it. For everyone interested: The reason is not within Hyperbola and is related to the LTS-kernel itself, which got a poor patch at all. Reading more here: https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … sk_id=1342