1 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 07:44:16)

Topic: Questions about Hyperbola

Hello, first of all I want to tell you, thank you for your work in this difficult time, you are great fellows.
Please introduce for Milky Way v0.4.5 more detailed installation documentation: qemu and all the dependencies that need to be installed with it. As well as how to configure it correctly, how to use it (both from the console and via qtemu)

And the second question: Are you doing:
Building a ported kernel for FreeBSD bmake
Creating a ported user space for FreeBSD bmake.

Please tell me in detail how it will work in FreeBSD, how much will it protect the user?
Will the kernel and user space be able to be installed for any version of FreeBSD and at any stage, or just a clean install?
For what purpose. In general, very detailed information about all of them.

The third question is: Will you do the same for OpenBSD in the future, or only for FreeBSD?

I hope the translator translated correctly.
Thank you

Re: Questions about Hyperbola

Hello and welcome to the forums, about your first question: We have a separate article in the wiki, perhaps this helps you already (https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … ne_manager). About your other questions: HyperbolaBSD is not using a kernel from FreeBSD. It is a hard fork from OpenBSD and is now a complete own development as it was ported to a newer compiler and is using complete different base. Please have a look here: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … olabsd_faq

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Regarding the second and third question, you misunderstood.
I understand that Hyperbola BSD does not use the FreeBSD kernel, this is understandable, I meant something else.
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … sd_roadmap
HyperbolaBSD Canis Major v0.99-pre-alpha

Build the ported kernel under FreeBSD make
Build the ported userspace under FreeBSD make

If I understood correctly, then: with the Hyperbola core and the user space from you, you can use it in the distribution: FreeBSD ?

Or what do you mean and what does it do:

Or is it to use FreeBSD packages in HyperbolaBSD, in an isolated space

You can surely try building HyperbolaBSD and its kernel HyperBK under FreeBSD as we use foremost bmake and further own make-definitions. Sorry, than this was / is my misunderstanding. If you want a closer and direct look into the sources, please take a look here:

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/hyperb … perbk.git/
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/hyperb … alpha.git/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 09:45:58)

Thank you for your understanding. I am very limited in the language barrier, so I use a translator, which is not ideal)

So in the version:

You will use this specifically by creating the kernel and user space in FreeBSD, so that you can use your HyperBK kernel and user space in FreeBSD, right?
For these purposes?

And if so, is this suitable for any version of FreeBSD 13.2, 13.3, 14.0?
And will it be easy to use in the future?

So you want to use HyperBK in FreeBSD? In this case I have to correct here as HyperbolaBSD is a whole new BSD-descendant operating-system. If you want to port HyperBK using it under FreeBSD you surely would need to look out for concrete points to modify it as we in fact build the system on its own first under Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre (for the pre-alpha) and afterwards only under HyperbolaBSD itself.

Please have also in mind that HyperBK and HyperbolaBSD is oriented on the FSDG. Meaning: We reject any firmware-blobs within the system and all parts (including drivers) need to follow the free system distribution guidelines (FSDG).

7 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 10:20:47)

I'll ask you a simpler question.
What you are already doing:
Develop the HyperbolaBSD system - part 1

Build the ported kernel under FreeBSD bmake → IN PROGRESS (Responsible: coadde)
Build the ported userspace under FreeBSD bmake

What is it and what is its purpose. What kind of functionality will this have?

8 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 10:30:51)

And one more question about the file manager. Did I see that you are going to delete zzzfm, but will spacefm and udevil?

If not, which file manager will be in priority and which one's will be in general?
Or will you create your own?

There was and is a big problem within the communication going outside about Hyperbola and HyperbolaBSD. So best is to correct this: HyperbolaBSD is a complete own development using surely the kernel of OpenBSD as ground base hard fork. As you can see within the notes and the roadmap we are NOT only doing another migration towards "OpenBSD" as base.

The usage of FreeBSD bmake has the reasoning to create Makefiles more fitting on our purpose. To explain this in more detail: The hard fork of the code for kernel and userspace is one part, but another is to remove all non-free defined data. Likewise code licensed incompatible and surely also blobs included. Also we need to rewrite assembler-code included. We use bmake, but compile with GCC 8.4.

ra.anima wrote:

And one more question about the file manager. Did I see that you are going to delete zzzfm, but will spacefm and udevil?

If not, which file manager will be in priority and which one's will be in general?
Or will you create your own?

udevil is also no longer part of Hyperbola. We plan to remove eudev / udev in version 0.4.6. Furthermore we stay at our plans to have a minimalistic system and so offer no bloated frameworks with Linux-only focus. That surely exclude many file-managers.

You are asking about functionalities within HyperbolaBSD: Please take into perspective that the first and foremost important functionality is to finish the pre-alpha booting into a running environment, simple said "terminal-emulation". The planned pre-alpha for HyperbolaBSD is the first step on the roadmap to do the further needed parts:

1. Create new code, replace already established code
2. Start with porting hyperman and hypertools
3. Start with porting the build-server
4. When finished porting the essential parts: Packaging

While point 2 - 4: On-going development and enhancement for HyperbolaBSD, kernel and userspace

12 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 11:34:10)

Regarding the kernel and user space, I get it. Thank you for your patience and explanation.

Regarding the file manager, I just did not understand which one is planned to be left out of the whole to leave.
Or will you make your own?
Or will only console file managers remain?

For the file-manager we have the following in our listing planned to stay:

lumina-fm
mc
rox
spacefm
worker
xfe

14 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 11:48:04)

Another curious question, off topic.
I am interested in your opinion, which is better from your point of view of these three, which of these is closer to the philosophy of HyperbolaBSD:
Void linux
Alpine linux
or
FreeBSD ?

15 (edited by ra.anima 2024-03-26 12:04:27)

spacefm, I thought it was in the udevil bundle that mounts and unmounts removable devices.
Will there be some kind of replacement for mounting and unmounting removable devices?

ra.anima wrote:

Another curious question, off topic.
I am interested in your opinion, which is better from your point of view of these three, which of these is closer to the philosophy of HyperbolaBSD:
Void linux
Alpine linux
or
FreeBSD ?

Personal I respect every project you have mentioned, same for the rest of the team. So every project has its own flavor. Surely also including compromises as Hyperbola is doing the same likewise with eudev. We will try to reduce and solve this as much as possible. Nevertheless it depends on what you personal want to reach! smile

ra.anima wrote:

spacefm, I thought it was in the udevil bundle that mounts and unmounts removable devices.
Will there be some kind of replacement for mounting and unmounting removable devices?

spacefm is independent from udevil as both are separate projects. So you can use also pmount, which will and is within Hyperbola at this moment. Please have a look at the package:

https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … 4/spacefm/
https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/extra/i686/spacefm/

Have you considered replacing filezilla with gFTP, or does it have something proprietary or bloated?

No we have not considered replacing filezilla so far, but thanks for mentioning this project.

Hello Throgh . Please tell me, if I have an encrypted USB or SSD, how can I use pmount?
It turns out that the user will still have to use the terminal to decrypt the disk, even if he has Spacefm installed

There is no way to use pmount with such devices. As you have noted: You will still need to encrypt this first. But this is the way intended. Otherwise you would need to look out for projects having a different approach. Also the encryption on BSD-systems works complete different as there is no dm-crypt. So we are talking here about very GNU/Linux-specific parts. If you find a solution for automount an encrypted USB-device, please tell us here.

But this is not part of this thread, so please keep this on-topic. Thanks!

You are quiet polite Throgh smile
I guess the beginnings of NetBSD and FreeBSD led to many questions, also the movements of Theo De Raadt and Matt Dillon to start OpenBSD and
DragonflyBSD. The beginnings of HyperbolaBSD should not be different.

I hope that I do not look too strict or even unfriendly. Problem is: Text is always a medium for interpretations. As Hyperbola was and is always a small system-project with sure tough perspectives and also plannings the so-called "corridor" for further enhancements and especially wishes is not that big. The best would be and is: Invite people to get deep into topics, research and perhaps also sharing their insights and experiences done here. The original idea of free, libre software in its roots. smile

Therefore you are right on behalf of HyperbolaBSD especially.