1 (edited by aloniv 2024-05-10 15:10:26)

Topic: Viewnior does not support the WebP image format

This can be corrected by installing the missing package webp-pixbuf-loader (which might also require a newer version of libwebp).
You can find a sample WebP file here:
https://mathiasbynens.be/demo/animated- … orted.webp

EDIT (throgh): Please do not recommend unsafe packages and also not Google itself. Thank you!

Re: Viewnior does not support the WebP image format

Please do not reommend a package with severe security-issues as webp had and has several. Therefore we have removed and reduced the support out of this reasoning. The only package now left is webkitgtk and it will be one next step to remove the full webp-support complete including libwebp.

Google is a company and therefore packages from that place are not the point of interest for Hyperbola as we reject the rising influence of corporations and companies.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by aloniv 2024-05-10 15:17:32)

The image format WebP works in the packaged Mozilla browsers and in other packaged image viewers as well such as gThumb (which will not be included in future Hyperbola releases).
libwebp is packaged by hyperbola:
https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … 4/libwebp/
I could not find any discussion in the forums about the removal of webp in future releases of Hyperbola. Will WebP no longer work in all packaged browsers?
Are there any vulnerabilities in the package webp-pixbuf-loader or just in WebP itself?
Also, will support for other formats developed by Google also be removed in the future such as VP9 (libvpx)?
https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … 64/libvpx/
Will AV1 Image File Format (AVIF) be supported in Hyperbola (Google is also involved in its development)?
I'm sorry for linking to a Google website - I just copied the first result which contained samples (the website at least loads fine without JavaScript). I will just replace the link with a link to a sample WebP image hosted elsewhere.

We have tried to reduce the influence of libwebp as much as possible. As said only webkitgtk is the only one left. About  VPX or better in detail webm-format: That's a bit different story as it is more or less now developed independent. First of: The major issue was last within the library itself (it was fixed): https://www.upguard.com/blog/libwebp-cve-2023

The problem stays nevertheless while it is surely open developed: Trademark and licenses can get ahead and become a risk even if now granted for the community. The question is: Will it stay that way? Therefore Hyperbola declines most corporate projects and try also to reduce them as much as possible, mitigate their influence or remove them fully.

For the moment it is only libwebp being under critical perspective. smile
But also: No need to be in any way sorry. You can use libwebp or build your own. Just have in mind that Google is much but not for sure our "friend" or support within free, libre software. Just another company as all the rest and in that perspective also oriented on their advantages.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by aloniv 2024-05-10 15:37:36)

OK, thanks for the explanation.
I think the issue for me is that some websites serve WebP images by default (such as Nitter the Twitter front-end) so when I save such images from online websites I either cannot view them using Viewnior so I need to either convert them to JPEG or install additional software so Viewnior can open them. I suppose most websites offer JPEG images as a fallback if WebP support is disabled in the browser - this can apparently be done in Mozilla browsers by setting in about:config image.webp.enabled=false (perhaps this should be the default setting in Mozilla browsers packaged by Hyperbola in the future?).

Oh, thanks for this. I will lookout if we can activate this per default for our UXP-applications also. If Google and others would for real have interest to give something back they could release all parts of the projects directly into the hands of the community - including patents, trademarks and the rest. Yes, it needs protection in a way and I dislike to state that "companies are evil" - no, not the point for me. We just need a protection for the users in common. And that's our interest.

The current solution appears to be the best for me as I will no longer accidentally download WebP images (when clicking on the sample webp file the browser offers it as a download) but at least I'll be able to view all previously downloaded images using Viewnior which I could not do beforehand.

8 (edited by aloniv 2024-05-10 15:55:27)

By the way a nice feature of gThumb is that you can easily access the print dialog to setup image printing settings using Ctrl + p. Can this be achieved using Viewnior or other image viewers which will not be removed in the future?

For the moment I do not have an idea for gthumb. But as those packages (likewise libwebp) are or were there, it can be always reached as community-supported packages.

I also needed to set image.http.accept=*/* to see images on a few news websites I visited.

Just leaving the trademark-grants from Google to show that there are possible options at any time to remove the rights for intgeration of WEBM and WEBP same:

Additional IP Rights Grant (Patents)
------------------------------------

"These implementations" means the copyrightable works that implement the WebM
codecs distributed by Google as part of the WebM Project.

Google hereby grants to you a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge,
royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section) patent license to
make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, transfer, and otherwise
run, modify and propagate the contents of these implementations of WebM, where
such license applies only to those patent claims, both currently owned by
Google and acquired in the future, licensable by Google that are necessarily
infringed by these implementations of WebM. This grant does not include claims
that would be infringed only as a consequence of further modification of these
implementations. If you or your agent or exclusive licensee institute or order
or agree to the institution of patent litigation or any other patent
enforcement activity against any entity (including a cross-claim or
counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that any of these implementations of WebM
or any code incorporated within any of these implementations of WebM
constitute direct or contributory patent infringement, or inducement of
patent infringement, then any patent rights granted to you under this License
for these implementations of WebM shall terminate as of the date such
litigation is filed.

It is clear to see that neither webm nor webp are really community-oriented. It is trademarked and based on patents, being under no way public offering. So we have good base for removing as much as possible of that. Free means for real "free" and not "free as others grant". There are enough examples of before removed packages like redis going exactly that way with even more restrictions.

If I as person want to engage in free, libre software and culture, I go into with altruistic motivation to give something others may want to use and give on this way also something back. It is NOT meant as engagement so I get "more money" or a "better standing for companies to hire me in person". But it is without any doubts to be seen used like that and there is the point the whole community should ask themself: What should it be? The trust based on the exact altruism mentioned - surely with giving the people also the financial support they need doing this - or the false trust into corporate projects like these here? With the integration taken it is clear to see where we are heading. And no: I do not mean the same false balance like "all companies are evil". That's the other side of the same coin but also simplified. No, I talk about pure ignorance. In the end it goes about interests being under the hands of many lawyers then. And small projects do not have the possibility to answer that or defend.