Topic: Possible segmentation fault in gweled?

I was somewhat randomly checking packages by installing them and saw that gweled may not boot up though can be installed with pacman as root and FlightGear needed more packages installed to boot up after installed.

Now I think FlightGear works after I installed those packages, but I do not know about gweled.

I have gweled 0.9.1-2 installed with pacman.

I clicked on the icon in the Lumina start menu / Browse Applications (I think) and the game does not come up.

I than typed gweled
in the LXTerminal and saw

[cody@localhost ~]$ gweled
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1032:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Segmentation fault

But TuxPaint shows

[cody@localhost ~]$ tuxpaint
Could not open joystick device 0: There are 0 joysticks available
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
libpng warning: iCCP: too many profiles
libpng warning: bKGD: invalid gray level
libpng warning: iCCP: profile 'Photoshop ICC profile': 'GRAY': Gray color space not permitted on RGB PNG
libpng warning: iCCP: profile 'Photoshop ICC profile': 'GRAY': Gray color space not permitted on RGB PNG
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image

but still works. So no segmentation fault showed in TuxPaint when started this way.

I thought it was because of the "ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1032:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave" part, but both showed that.

So than I installed libopenmpt
thinking that libopenmpt had some sort of pcm

https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/?so … p;flagged=

but still saw

gweled
Segmentation fault

This reminds me of the problem I had running FlightGear, but that showed the extra packages I had to install when I checked it using LXTerminal and typed flightgear in it, and after I installed them for FlightGear that program ran, or at least booted up.

I did not test all of flightgear 2020.3.6-1 and it's flightgear-data 2020.3.6-1, but the Preflight Tutorial seems to work.

I have

libsndfile 1.0.31-2
libsndio 1.8.1-1
alsa-lib 1.2.6.1-1
alsa-topology-conf 1.2.5.1-1
alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.5.1-1

installed.

But I do not know what causes the Segmentation fault in gweled 0.9.1-2.

I have

gtk2
hicolor-icon-theme
libmikmod
librsvg
gettext-tiny
intltool

installed.

I tried

cd /home/cody/Desktop/Building/gweled
[cody@localhost gweled]$ makepkg
==> Making package: gweled 0.9.1-2 (Tue 09 Jul 2024 12:15:00 PM EDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading gweled-0.9.1.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   278  100   278    0     0     51      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:--    65
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:05 --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
==> ERROR: Failure while downloading http://launchpad.net/gweled/trunk/0.9.1 … 9.1.tar.gz
    Aborting...

The link https://launchpad.net/gweled/legacy/0.9 … 9.1.tar.gz
may help. As this can be downloaded with wget.

I copied the gweled package build folder to /home/cody/Desktop/Building/gweled
from https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packages/extra.git/

Though

git clone https://git.launchpad.net/gweled

works to download the repository.

wget https://mirror.fsf.org/hyperbola/gnu-pl … src.tar.lz

also can help get the source code.

I did not yet check the source code from the git repository, as I was used to using gitk to browse a repository, and the git repository may show code later than this code.

I'm reporting it at the forum because I tried to login to the https://issues.hyperbola.info/
and saw

Error #23: User or group not enabled for login.

The https://launchpad.net/gweled/1.0/1.0-beta1
shows in part

Features:
    * Fixed 0 points on a intersect of two perpendicular lines (fixes lp#926449)
    * Restored board filling animation on new game
    * Removed level bonuses on endless game mode
    * Improved gem animations and better timing of subsequent gem destroy
    * Renamed icon and appdata to org.gweled.gweled
    * Avoids spawning 3 or more gems of the same type in a row
    * Started Flatpak support
    * Updated Italian, Spanish and Norwegian Bokmal translations
    * Other small improvements...

Known bugs:
    * No custom messages if your score is not in the first 10 ones

But I think this is likely only being made into a Flatpak software thing, so gweled may be distribute on Flatpak's Flathub, and not being used by the gweled developers to distribute extra things in gweled, though I do not know what Flatpak support will be used for.

I do not know much about Flatpak or what it is used for.

I see partly on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak

Applications using Flatpak need permissions to have access to resources such as Bluetooth, sound (with PulseAudio), network, and files. These permissions are configured by the maintainer of the Flatpak and can be added or removed by users on their system.[8][9]

and

Another key feature of Flatpak is that it allows application developers to directly provide updates to users without going through distributions, and without having to package and test the application separately for each distribution.[10]

So if Flatpak needs permissions to access Bluetooth, sound (with PulseAudio), network, and files.
And it also allows application developers to directly provide "updates" to end users, I see why hyperbola does not have Flatpak.

As than the application developers could directly "update" things using Flatpak or possibly have access to the end user's Bluetooth, sound (with PulseAudio), network, and files.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … e_packages

The project itself would bring up another way to distribute software, but as there is no source available without non-free packages and also no restriction to be implemented: Possible non-free dependencies and software would be then provided direct on the system.

I do not yet have more information about the gweled segmentation fault.

Re: Possible segmentation fault in gweled?

Please remove alsa-sndio: This wrapper is of no real usage and makes more issues than needed.
sndio can be used without issues aside of alsa. And therefore packages using alsa will also use that instead of enforcing them to use sndio.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I searched
https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/?so … p;flagged=

but did not find a alsa-sndio

I also typed in root

pacman -R alsa-sndio

and

pacman -R sndio-alsa

but do not think anything was removed.

Is the alsa-sndio wrapper part of the gweled source code?

I see a

src/sound.c:    MikMod_RegisterDriver(&drv_alsa);

after using

grep -ri alsa

in the https://mirror.fsf.org/hyperbola/gnu-pl … src.tar.lz

cd gweled-0/gweled/gweled-0/gweled-0.9.1

folder, after I first extracted the archive before I used grep.

But removing line 49 in src/sound.c

MikMod_RegisterDriver(&drv_alsa);

from the gweled-0.9.1 did not stop the segmentation fault in gweled after I used "configure" than "make" in the folder gweled-0.9.1.

As I do not yet know what or where this

alsa-sndio wrapper thing

is at.

I did not yet try a makepkg to fix the segmentation fault in gweled.

I can try to remove FlightGear and/or

libsndfile 1.0.31-2
libsndio 1.8.1-1
alsa-lib 1.2.6.1-1
alsa-topology-conf 1.2.5.1-1
alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.5.1-1

if that is what is causing the segmentation fault in gweled.

Though I do not yet know what one the alsa-sndio wrapper package that causes the segmentation fault in gweled is in.

Maybe libsndio
or alsa-lib
is the wrapper package that causes the segmentation fault in gweled, somehow.

I tried

pacman -R alsa-lib
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ffmpeg: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: fluidsynth: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: gst-plugins-base: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: libao: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: libffado: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: libsndio: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: mmm: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: mpg123: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: portaudio: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: volumeicon: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: wildmidi: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'
:: zita-alsa-pcmi: removing alsa-lib breaks dependency 'alsa-lib'

and

pacman -R libsndio
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: a52dec: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: aucatctl: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: celt: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: gst-plugins-base: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: libao: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: libdca: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: libmikmod: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: openal: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: portaudio: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: qemu: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: sdl: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'
:: sndio: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio=1.8.1'
:: speex: removing libsndio breaks dependency 'libsndio'

as root to try to remove the alsa-sndio wrapper, to stop the segmentation fault in gweled, but could not remove libsndio and/or alsa-lib.

Thank you, throgh, for trying to help me with the segmentation fault I was having problems with in gweled.

I hope whatever information I can find with this also helps others/the_main_Hyperbola_developers.

I did not need gweled.

I was just looking for a way it could run without a segmentation fault stopping it from being played to try to help out, as the Hyperbola main developers do maintain a large amount of packages.

And that is a lot of typing and looks at code, as well and other maintenance things.

Maybe it was just some other package I have installed, if anyone else can get gweled to run/play on Hyperbola. Or some setting I did. And not a problem in gweled, but how I setup some things.

The https://launchpad.net/gweled/+download
page shows

https://launchpad.net/gweled/1.0/1.0-beta1

https://launchpad.net/gweled/1.0/1.0-alpha
shows in part

Dependencies:
   * gtk3 >=3.20
   * clutter >= 1.20
   * clutter-gtk >= 1.8
   * gsound >= 1.0.3
   * libgnome-games-support >= 1.8

To compile:
   meson build
   ninja -C build
   ninja -C build install

and

https://launchpad.net/gweled/legacy/0.9.1

as well as other versions.

So I do not yet know a way to make a PKGBUILD for Hyperbola for later versions.

Or how to get this gweled to run without a segmentation fault.

You are speaking with the main packager here at Hyperbola. So I can say that there is not any segmentation fault with gweled when I try gweled on a fresh installation.

Removing sndio does not fix the issue you might have. But you have not provided further information about your installation and configuration also. Only the point that you have a segmentation fault. So this is only guessing about errors and this is nothing anyone like to do. So please provide more information. Those information provided until now are not helpful solving the issue as it points on being a problem with your ALSA-configuration. Have you even tried any sound-output? Exactly therefore I ask for your configuration on the hardware-side, not on the software.

There is no need to fix the package. There is need to see into your installation and configuration therefore first.
So please tryout first any kind of sound playing throughout ALSA, not sndio. And neither sndio nor alsa-lib or alsa-utils are doing that segmentation fault. It is as said an issue with your current setup.

And about the "Hyperbola main developers", please read here: https://www.hyperbola.info/members/developers/

We do not plan to upgrade gweled, so please stop pointing on the newer release as we do not plan to integrate that.
So we two here need to solve your audio-issue and therefore I need to know: Do you have audio-output elsewhere? Is that working for example with other applications? Watching a video? Playing a sound-file? Or playing another game from the repositories? There is the issue to be searched, not with more packages listed or possible depdencies. It is as said: The sound makes the problem as gweled has not a connection to ALSA or the ALSA-interface is not working correct.

1. Please provide more information about your current hardware and setup in usage.
2. Please provide more information if you have any sound-output for other applications and / or games.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by Other_Cody 2024-07-10 21:47:37)

throgh wrote:

You are speaking with the main packager here at Hyperbola. So I can say that there is not any segmentation fault with gweled when I try gweled on a fresh installation.

Removing sndio does not fix the issue you might have. But you have not provided further information about your installation and configuration also. Only the point that you have a segmentation fault. So this is only guessing about errors and this is nothing anyone like to do. So please provide more information. Those information provided until now are not helpful solving the issue as it points on being a problem with your ALSA-configuration. Have you even tried any sound-output? Exactly therefore I ask for your configuration on the hardware-side, not on the software.

There is no need to fix the package. There is need to see into your installation and configuration therefore first.
So please tryout first any kind of sound playing throughout ALSA, not sndio. And neither sndio nor alsa-lib or alsa-utils are doing that segmentation fault. It is as said an issue with your current setup.

And about the "Hyperbola main developers", please read here: https://www.hyperbola.info/members/developers/

We do not plan to upgrade gweled, so please stop pointing on the newer release as we do not plan to integrate that.
So we two here need to solve your audio-issue and therefore I need to know: Do you have audio-output elsewhere? Is that working for example with other applications? Watching a video? Playing a sound-file? Or playing another game from the repositories? There is the issue to be searched, not with more packages listed or possible depdencies. It is as said: The sound makes the problem as gweled has not a connection to ALSA or the ALSA-interface is not working correct.

1. Please provide more information about your current hardware and setup in usage.
2. Please provide more information if you have any sound-output for other applications and / or games.

1. I'm using an Acer Aspire E 15.
I do not know much about checking the hardware yet.
I also do not know much about checking a setup.

2. Yes I have sound output in most if not all the other things I use.

I was just looking at ways to solve the segmentation fault problem, not to "upgrade" gweled.
So that is why I was looking at the other versions, but not to integrate that in Hyperbola.
Sorry about pointing to a newer release.
Thank you again for your time.

uname -a
Linux localhost 5.10.191-gnu1-1-lts #1 SMP Mon Oct 2 07:23:21 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I do not yet know how to switch to ALSA, if I'm even using sndio at this time. I do know I can hear sound from most other things.
I could also try a fresh install if I did a mistake in the install I have at this time. Though most things work well.

In etc/alsa.conf
that file shows

ALSA_PCM_CARD=0

Okay, when you have sound for most others, then lets look direct for other ALSA-related applications in need. But first perhaps: Can you check extremetuxracer? That application is using openal which should first prefer sndio and second ALSA. The reasoning for having both: ALSA and sndio can run direct at the same time. You would also need to verify the following:

doas rc-service sndiod status

And:

doas rc-service alsasound status

Why I ask for that? We need to verify now all running and needed services.

To look on the different dependencies:

1. sndio direct
2. sndio via alsa
3. alsa direct and only supported
4. framework-based alike openal or portaudio

throgh wrote:

Okay, when you have sound for most others, then lets look direct for other ALSA-related applications in need. But first perhaps: Can you check extremetuxracer? That application is using openal which should first prefer sndio and second ALSA. The reasoning for having both: ALSA and sndio can run direct at the same time. You would also need to verify the following:

And:

Why I ask for that? We need to verify now all running and needed services.

To look on the different dependencies:

1. sndio direct
2. sndio via alsa
3. alsa direct and only supported
4. framework-based alike openal or portaudio

I used

pacman -S extremetuxracer

Than tested it. Extremetuxracer has sound in both root and my other account.

I than used doas with my root account.

sh-5.1# doas rc-service sndiod status

sh-5.1# doas rc-service alsasound status
* rc-service: service `alsasound' does not exist

Aha, we need for sure alsasound. smile

Please do the following:

doas pacman -S alsa-utils
doas rc-update add alsasound default
doas rc-service alsasound start

sh-5.1# doas pacman -S alsa-utils
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) alsa-utils-1.2.4-2

Total Download Size:   1.00 MiB
Total Installed Size:  2.36 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'alsa-utils-1.2.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.lz' from mirror.cedia.org.ec : error:02FFF068:system library:func(4095):Connection reset by peer
alsa-utils-1.2.4-2-...  1029.1 KiB   823K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing alsa-utils                        [######################] 100%
warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/sbin/
filesystem: 750  package: 755
Optional dependencies for alsa-utils
    fftw: for alsabat [installed]
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Displaying hyperrc service help ...
    ==> Add a service to runlevel:
    rc-update add <service> <runlevel>
sh-5.1# doas rc-update add alsasound default
* service alsasound added to runlevel default
sh-5.1# doas rc-service alsasound start
* Caching service dependencies ...                                       [ ok ]
* Restoring Mixer Levels ...
* No mixer config in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, you have to unmute your [ ok ]
sh-5.1#

Maybe I should have looked at

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … ems:openrc

to see

rc-update add alsasound default

for alsasound
and

rc-update add nginx default - add nginx to the default runlevel with the need of root-privileges.

to see about what a runlevel is.

Though I did not know if I stopped that or just did not start it after installing gweled with pacman.
Or if alsasound needed root-privileges or not to help run gweled.

Thank you for showing me that, throgh.

I still see

sh-5.1# gweled
Segmentation fault

but I also saw

* No mixer config in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, you have to unmute your [ ok ]

so maybe I have to change that, somehow.

Though checking that with the Insight program I do not think any file is in the

/var/lib/alsa

folder.

You should for sure restart your system after that to make the service final working with current level. Also you should tryout a volume-helper like volumeicon. There you can setup your level correct and also final control if all is working fine.

Also: In regards for games always check the membership for your local user. Please DO NOT execute those applications as "root" or with "root-privileges". The packages are not intended to do this.

Your user need to be within the group "games" as otherwise partwise packages and games have NOT access to relevant folders alike for highscore-saving in regards to gweled.

So also:

doas usermod -aG games [USERNAME]

Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and also HyperbolaBSD are strict in group-memberships. Not having them: Possible failures and problems.

throgh wrote:

You should for sure restart your system after that to make the service final working with current level. Also you should tryout a volume-helper like volumeicon. There you can setup your level correct and also final control if all is working fine.

Also: In regards for games always check the membership for your local user. Please DO NOT execute those applications as "root" or with "root-privileges". The packages are not intended to do this.

Your user need to be within the group "games" as otherwise partwise packages and games have NOT access to relevant folders alike for highscore-saving in regards to gweled.

So also:

doas usermod -aG games [USERNAME]

Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and also HyperbolaBSD are strict in group-memberships. Not having them: Possible failures and problems.

I now have an asound.state file.

And Lumina starts with sound now, though before it also had sound, I just had to start it with the volumeicon that set/reset to mute (each time, I think). Now it does not reset/mute the volume on each boot.

But somehow I still get

Segmentation fault

Thank you for the help.

Maybe a fresh install will help as I did also set the time to the wrong "Time zone" or

Create a symbolic link /etc/localtime to your subzone file /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zone/SubZone:

as I think I just used

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Oslo /etc/localtime

instead of checking what all the

Zone/SubZone

things were.
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … iguration1

As I see gweled can work in an fresh install from the

throgh wrote:

So I can say that there is not any segmentation fault with gweled when I try gweled on a fresh installation.

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 8159#p8159
post.

Or testing an install in Qemu, to see what I may have setup wrong in the install on my computer.

So you also need to check the whole setup:

aplay -l

That command should give more insights into. Also check if alsasound as service is running. When you have more than one device with the command quoted above this can be another problem as there is as said: No connection possible.

I also see that you have not really done a hostname for your device and installation. Is that intended?

Please provide the output of aplay -l so this is more information about the current device in usage. And check your group-membership for sure.

throgh wrote:

So you also need to check the whole setup:

aplay -l

That command should give more insights into. Also check if alsasound as service is running. When you have more than one device with the command quoted above this can be another problem as there is as said: No connection possible.

I also see that you have not really done a hostname for your device and installation. Is that intended?

Please provide the output of aplay -l so this is more information about the current device in usage. And check your group-membership for sure.

sh-5.1# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I think I setup a hostname before using Trisquel graphical installer Ubiquity before that was not "localhost".

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/how-does … -work-well

But I saw in

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation

Hostname

Usually it’s sufficient to set your hostname to localhost.

echo localhost > /etc/hostname

Add the same hostname, i.e. localhost, to /etc/hosts.

Type:

nano /etc/hosts

<ip-address> <hostname.domain.org> <hostname>
127.0.0.1                localhost.localdomain     localhost localhost
::1                             localhost.localdomain     localhost localhost

So if it was "sufficient to set your hostname to localhost" than I think that is what I set it to in Hyperbola.

But if "I also see that you have not really done a hostname for your device and installation. Is that intended?"

Than it was not likely intended as the hostname set to localhost, but I did not know if/what I should change using

nano /etc/hosts

Also sorry about

Please STOP reviving old threads. This is not really helpful.

in https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 8174#p8174

I was just trying to help answer some "Unanswered topics"
but as

This is not really helpful.

I can also try to see how old an unanswered thread is before trying to answer other users questions/topics.

I understand your approach, but those threads were never answered or solved from community-members. And therefore it is better to give those topics another tryut for a newly created thread in time. smile

I used

sh-5.1# doas rc-service sndiod start
* WARNING: sndiod has already been started
sh-5.1# doas rc-service sndiod stop
* Stopping sndiod ...

and now gweled works, and with sound plus no segmentation fault.

Thank you for the help.

Other_Cody wrote:

I used

sh-5.1# doas rc-service sndiod start
* WARNING: sndiod has already been started
* Stopping sndiod ...

and now gweled works, and with sound plus no segmentation fault.

Thank you for the help.

Teeworlds also has sound now. I could still play it before, but without sound.

extremetuxracer may not have sound now, I think, but I found out starting a sndiod like you showed gets sound back.

Thanks also: So we have found a way forward working. As GNU/Linux or in detail the Linux-kernel has always the ALSA-interfaces the ALSA-interfaces will be always there. So sndio is needed to get the ALSA-interfaces. With HyperbolaBSD there will be only sndio. smile

Part1 gweled

Both

sh-5.1# gweled
Segmentation fault
sh-5.1#

gweled does not work.

sh-5.1# gweled
Audio driver choosen: ALSA
sh-5.1#

gweled works.

sh-5.1# gweled
sh-5.1#

gweled works.

sh-5.1# gweled

gweled works.

Part2 extreme tux racer

extreme tux racer sound off, but it runs.

extreme tux racer sound on, and it runs.

extreme tux racer sound off, but it runs.

Part3 Teeworlds

Teeworlds may have sound.

These I was testing with the root account as I do not yet know how to use

doas rc-service sndiod stop
doas rc-service alsasound stop

not as root.

I may have made a mistake in it, though I do not remember.

The Lumina Insight showed "Administrator Mode"

Logged out and switched to my main account with these showing before I logged out.

With both showing stopped as far as I know

[cody@localhost ~]$ doas rc-service alsasound status
doas: Operation not permitted
[cody@localhost ~]$ rc-service alsasound status
bash: rc-service: command not found
[cody@localhost ~]$ doas rc-service sndiod status
doas: Operation not permitted
[cody@localhost ~]$ rc-service sndiod status
bash: rc-service: command not found

Teeworld has sound. So both alsasound and sndiod stopped let this work with sound.

gweled works with sound. So both alsasound and sndiod stopped let this work with sound.

extreme tux racer sound off, but it runs. So both alsasound and sndiod stopped let this work, but with sound off.

Logged out, back to root to switch on things.

Logged out of root and switched to my main account with these showing before I logged out.

Teeworld has no sound, but can run. So alsasound stopped and sndiod started let this work, but with sound off.

extreme tux racer sound on, and it runs. So alsasound stopped and sndiod started let this work, and with sound on.

gweled may have a segmentation fault with alsasound stopped and sndiod started.

gweled showed

Segmentation fault

Logging out of main and back to root to switch things.

* Stopping sndiod ...                                                    [ ok ]
sh-5.1#

Logging out of root and into my main account.

Teeworld has sound. So alsasound started and sndiod stopped let this work, and with sound.

extreme tux racer sound off, but it runs. So alsasound started and sndiod stopped let this work, but without sound.

gweled works with sound. So alsasound started and sndiod stopped let this work, and with sound.

[cody@localhost ~]$

Logging out of main and back to root to switch things, and back after.

sh-5.1#

Back in my main account.

Segmentation fault
[cody@localhost ~]$

Teeworld has no sound, but can run.
extreme tux racer sound on.

So I think both alsasound and sndiod stopped can make Teeworld and gweled work with sound.
But extreme tux racer may need sndiod started to have sound, though that can cause a segmentation fault in gweled and no sound in Teeworld.
If I got it right, I was switching things off and on many times.

I underline again: Please DO NOT execute those applications with root-privileges and / or under the root-account.
What you have effectively done is that the whole configuration is now mixed and not fully working. I do not use root-privileges and have sound generic with both - sndio and alsasound - running. It is no intended that you use the root-account for such things except you want to be the full time root running. Otherwise as said: That is not working as intended.

Also: Having the services not running would effectively not giving any sound, so at a point having sound means also that one service is nevertheless running. I would recommend that you clean your local root-profile first from configurations and then do the same for your own user-profile for a restart doing the services better working. There is no need to reinstall, when you have not modified the configuration-files. But this is up to you and your decision. Before you do something in the root-filesystem outside your own $HOME for your local user, you should decide what you effectively want. Modifications in that dimension have a clear impact.

Other_Cody wrote:

So I think both alsasound and sndiod stopped can make Teeworld and gweled work with sound.

That is NOT possible and is also as conclusion NOT working. One service needs to run as otherwise you do not have any sound.

Other_Cody wrote:

But extreme tux racer may need sndiod started to have sound, though that can cause a segmentation fault in gweled and no sound in Teeworld.

I have mentioned openal already as extremetuxracer needs that as audio-framework. Also sndio has nothing to do with that segmentation fault. I underline again: It is that point the ALSA-interface has no connectivity and you need to sort out that right: Services running correct, configuration fitting. If this is not done correct, the application(s) do not work as intended.
Please do not use the root-account to test those things as this solves nothing and you need to solve your ALSA-issue as I doubt that is working correct after what you have shown in your latest post.

For further notice:

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 5381#p5381
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 5376#p5376

And after a further research: There is no BSD-port for gweled. So we remove that package in the end.

https://pkgs.org/download/gweled
https://openbsd.app/?search=gweled

Thread closed.