Topic: Concensus Required: Iceweasel Branding of folder name [Closed]

Our Iceweasel (and Icedove) applications, currently use the .firefox and .thunderbird folders for compatibility reasons. However, this also causes a branding issue for the folder names as well as the WM_CLASS. You can see this via JWM or xprop respectively:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Firefox"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Mail", "Thunderbird"

We are currently seeking consensus on whether or not to rename our application folders to use ".iceweasel" and ".icedove", this will require manual user interaction once the change has been made.

Alternatively, we can leave it as is, since the branding usage is trivial and used for compatibility.

Let us know your thoughts!

Re: Concensus Required: Iceweasel Branding of folder name [Closed]

g4jc wrote:

Our Iceweasel (and Icedove) applications, currently use the .firefox and .thunderbird folders for compatibility reasons. However, this also causes a branding issue for the folder names as well as the WM_CLASS. You can see this via JWM or xprop respectively:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Firefox"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Mail", "Thunderbird"

We are currently seeking consensus on whether or not to rename our application folders to use ".iceweasel" and ".icedove", this will require manual user interaction once the change has been made.

Alternatively, we can leave it as is, since the branding usage is trivial and used for compatibility.

Let us know your thoughts!

Yeah, call it .iceweasel and .icedove. That's preferable.

But just so you know, there are new versions of iceweasel from this year... just letting you know.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Perhaps we should use .icedove-uxp and .iceweasel-uxp to avoid confusion with Debian?

4 (edited by zapper 2019-03-12 01:29:35)

g4jc wrote:

Perhaps we should use .icedove-uxp and .iceweasel-uxp to avoid confusion with Debian?

Yeah, I agree, but just to clarify from before, I meant there are new versions of Basilisk Browser that have been released.

Can you please update iceweasel to the latest build of Basilisk Browser? Aka so its based off of it?

PS, I did see your message, and yes .iceweasel-uxp and .icedove-uxp works.

May as well do the same thing for iceape too, while your at it. Just for the sake of it. smile

Yes.  .iceape-uxp will replace .seamonkey as well as long as there is concensus on this.

I am aware of the new update, we are awaiting our build server to come back online to package it. It is currently under scheduled maintenance. :-)

g4jc wrote:

Yes.  .iceape-uxp will replace .seamonkey as well as long as there is concensus on this.

I am aware of the new update, we are awaiting our build server to come back online to package it. It is currently under scheduled maintenance. :-)

Ah okay, my bad. I messaged you privately just in case.

PS, Can you add these three addons to the Iceape-uxp addons area in Hyperbola? Two of them might not be yet compatible though.

Greasemonkey, Ublock Origin and Random Agent Spoofer  are the addons I request. And yes I have made requests on the issues page already. wink

g4jc wrote:

That is the way, however we should know if WM_CLASS will show as "Iceweasel-UXP" or "Iceweasel-uxp". If it will show as "Iceweasel-uxp", we should find a way to fix it.

How will this affect our systems when these software are updated? Will the folder names be changed automatically?

This would have negatively affected folder names and would require some invasive changing inside the home directory, so we've opt-ed not to do that for stability reasons.
Instead we've applied a patch that changes only the WM_CLASS name inside the UXP Toolkit. You can see here for reference.