1 (edited by ciodide 2024-08-02 02:55:48)

Topic: i915 GPU HANG on GM45 iGPU with Xen

Description:
i915 GPU HANG on GM45 iGPU with Xen in Dom0, when you startx, dmesg show

i915 0000:00:02.0 [drm] GPU HANG:ecode 4:1:ffffffff, in X [1597]
i915 0000:00:02.0 Resetting chip for stopped heartbeat on rcs0
i915 0000:00:02.0 X[1597] context reset due to GPU hang

the ecode's "ffffffff" sometime will change to other random number. The X seems exit like normal without any useable (EE) in Xorg.0.log.

Additional information:
Everything done on a librebooted X200 with 1067a microcode build in to the CPU. (T9550 8G)
Xserver working well when using without Xen.

Xen boot option:
Without xen boot option, the system just blackscreen after

:: running early hook [udev]

never get to a terminal.

with "iommu=no-igfx", everything seems fine in terminal, until you press the "startx"
with "iommu=0", nothing change, same with "iommu=no-igfx"
"dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin", also not affect to the result.

WM:
If use cwm in xinitrc, the GPU hang will happen when I press "M-?", then (after few sec) the whole system not response to anything, need hard reset.
If use twm in xinitrc, the GPU hang will happen when "startx", then X seems exit normally, give me a chance to check dmesg and other logs.

Steps to reproduce:
Install xen with pacman, and rc-update add every xen*

I boot to Xen with grub like

multiboot /xen-4.14.1.gz dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin iommu=no-igfx
module /vmlinuz-linux-libre-lts root=xxxx rootflags=xxx ro
module /initramfs-linux-libre-lts.img
boot

then startx.

Since xen in the repo, and (maybe?) most of the people use blobless laptop here. Any one has some experience in this scenario?

Maybe useful information:
At least, I find someone can run old QubesOs on x200?
https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users … qhqZt9DAAJ
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1594

Re: i915 GPU HANG on GM45 iGPU with Xen

Thanks for reporting: The package xen is generic not used for any x-session in our usecases. Maybe you want generic to use qemu?
Especially because Hyperbola has not the intention to be used and / or work alike QubesOS.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

qemu not allow me passthru some pcie devices to VM unless I recompile the kernel with patch sad . GM45 group everything in a single group. Although this version of vt-d is useless.

I think is the time to decide which is more important to me X or pcie passthru.

Thanks for reply

Got your usecase, thanks for making this open. Sure, that is really not working. I will also look out if there are possible fixes around.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!