Topic: sndio module-suspend-on-idle

In the terminal you can hear the beep sound only if some sound is playing
(for example a song in moc) In Trisquel I have solved this by adding:

cp /etc/pulse/default.pa ~/.config/pulse/default
nano ~/.config/pulse/default.pa
unload-module module-suspend-on-idle

Is there a way to do it with sndio too?

Re: sndio module-suspend-on-idle

When searching for this it seems to be specific towards PulseAudio itself and it is not included within sndio.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Ok, but in previous versions the beep worked...at least I remember 0.4.2.
Is there no way to make it work?

I keep installing hyperbola on an libreboot X200

That should be in general no issue, but depends on your installed packages. Do you have ALSA also configured and started? The terminal-emulator is another point.

The problem here: sndio is not the only interface active at runtime of the system as alsa is essential part.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

yes, alsasound is active and in alsamixer beep is on

alsasound [  started  ]

my terminal emulator is URXVT

URxvt.urgentOnBel: true

As far as to verify from my point of view there should be then no issue. But perhaps someone else in the community has another idea. Nevertheless we will remove urxvt as newer releases need again more dependencies and we do not plan to add even more packages to maintain. Sorry, but those neverending additions for every new release are really not working for us as small team and therefore urxvt has to be removed.

So all in all we would handover urxvt towards the community, with the interest to provide updated packages.

we will remove urxvt

I understand, but what terminal is left?
Gnu Screen still does not work correctly with XTERM.

Hmm, have you tried st? See the way Hyperbola is going is directly oriented towards BSD and ports, not like a distribution. So we want to offer, but even now it is for us not posible to maintain more when we maintain our own system independent.

"st" ok I'm going to try it.
Anyway XTERM is in the next versions?

Yes, this is elementary staying for sure.

Perfect, then I'll stick with xterm, remove screen.
Is there a list of packages that will be removed with the next release?

Well, you can look out here: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=1075
For comparison reasoning a list of packages alone from the userspace of OpenBSD itself: https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/7.6/packages/amd64/

Hyperbola is exactly even oriented to be smaller while also going comparable ways. So we are nearing the point where we do no longer need to remove anything more. I feel sorry for removals but all of them are reasonable as they demand incompatible or more dependencies creating also complications for a small system. And you can be sure that we have done also more as not only one person is just removing packages: As team we talk about every single one and not only person have the final decision doing that. And openarena is an approval that packages can make their own return when we find a way forward as we fight for every single one.

with this:

echo 0 | doas tee /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

beep sound works!
but, how set power_save to 0 after the reboot?

doas nano /etc/modprobe.d/snd_hda_intel.conf

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0

works!

Thanks for research and adding.