Topic: Updating / patching kernel to work around wifi issue?

I'm setting up Hyperbola on a laptop with an Intel 8260 (rev 3a) wireless card, and there seems to be an issue getting the device firmware to work.

Symptoms (dmesg output, etc) are almost exactly the same as in this bug:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199231

I'm wondering if there's some way to update / patch my kernel to apply just this fix. I've never compiled a kernel before, but using a wifi dongle until the lts maintainers get around to merging this fix sounds like a pain.

Alternately, is there some way to add a repository from Parabola to get just the updated kernel package? I actually tried installing Parabola first, but ran into Xorg dependency hell trying to set it up with openrc.

Aprpeciate any advice or pointers you could provide!

Re: Updating / patching kernel to work around wifi issue?

kerat wrote:

I'm setting up Hyperbola on a laptop with an Intel 8260 (rev 3a) wireless card, and there seems to be an issue getting the device firmware to work.

Symptoms (dmesg output, etc) are almost exactly the same as in this bug:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199231

I'm wondering if there's some way to update / patch my kernel to apply just this fix. I've never compiled a kernel before, but using a wifi dongle until the lts maintainers get around to merging this fix sounds like a pain.

Alternately, is there some way to add a repository from Parabola to get just the updated kernel package? I actually tried installing Parabola first, but ran into Xorg dependency hell trying to set it up with openrc.

Aprpeciate any advice or pointers you could provide!

If it is proprietary the firmware, it won't be added.  But,  usb adapters are not always a pain, it depends on your device.

What device do you use?

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

If it is proprietary the firmware, it won't be added.  But,  usb adapters are not always a pain, it depends on your device.

What device do you use?

it's a T460s, using an Intel 8260 wifi card... From what I'd read, it sounded like that card works with the iwlwifi module in the kernel, but now that I'm reading further I'm unclear on whether the firmware is proprietary or not, so that could be it... where can I find that info?

At any rate, apparently it's not too hard to replace the M2 internal wifi card, and a new one would only be like 15 bucks, so I guess I could go that route if need be.

kerat wrote:
zapper wrote:

What device do you use?

it's a T460s, using an Intel 8260 wifi card... From what I'd read, it sounded like that card works with the iwlwifi module in the kernel, but now that I'm reading further I'm unclear on whether the firmware is proprietary or not, so that could be it... where can I find that info?

At any rate, apparently it's not too hard to replace the M2 internal wifi card, and a new one would only be like 15 bucks, so I guess I could go that route if need be.

You can do that, but the wifi card won't work unless, the vendor blacklist is disabled.  I think you can only do that if you use the me cleaner. So yeah... I hope you have ample experience with that.

kerat wrote:
zapper wrote:

What device do you use?

You can do that, but the wifi card won't work unless, the vendor blacklist is disabled.  I think you can only do that if you use the me cleaner. So yeah... I hope you have ample experience with that.