Topic: How can new search engines added into Iceweasel-UXP?

If i open about:preferences#search and click on the Add more search engines... button, then it drops me to Mozilla, where i am informed, that my version of Firefox does not support search plugins.

So, how can i add DuckDuckGo or Google to my search engines?

Re: How can new search engines added into Iceweasel-UXP?

tch wrote:

If i open about:preferences#search and click on the Add more search engines... button, then it drops me to Mozilla, where i am informed, that my version of Firefox does not support search plugins.

It's simple:

https://archive.org/download/libreweb/c … l-uxp.webm

~ Jesús E.

3 (edited by zapper 2019-05-27 00:01:16)

tch wrote:

Or use this website, https://mycroftproject.com/

Be warned though, not all of them have privacy.

Use only the free software ones aka, do research. smile

Invidio.us and searx search engines are probably sufficient ones. and maybe duckduckgo if you really need to...

Invidio.us is a privacy frontend for youtube, and no they aren't endorsed by google.  smile

It's like a way to degoogle youtube.

anywho, enjoy.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

4 (edited by tch 2019-06-11 07:23:44)

@Heckyel: Thanks, i added DuckDuckGo, but this method did not worked with google. How can i add google?

@zapper: I don't want to add plugins for that. SearX is useless, i cannot do any search, it's just keeps crashing with error "google (unexpected crash: CAPTCHA required) ". For youtube, i have my own youtube frontend. Is this serious, that one cannot just edit the search engines in Iceweasel? Not even outside the browser, with a text editor?

5 (edited by zapper 2019-06-12 03:13:57)

tch wrote:

@Heckyel: Thanks, i added DuckDuckGo, but this method did not worked with google. How can i add google?

@zapper: I don't want to add plugins for that. SearX is useless, i cannot do any search, it's just keeps crashing with error "google (unexpected crash: CAPTCHA required) ". For youtube, i have my own youtube frontend. Is this serious, that one cannot just edit the search engines in Iceweasel? Not even outside the browser, with a text editor?

It depends on the searx instance. I use this one and have no issues: https://search.disroot.org/

Which ones have you tried anyways?  Regardless though, you do realize, google spies on you right?

They sell your information, etc...

but I assume you know this, right?

btw, don't say searx is useless without trying more than the ones that Hyperbola distributes within the browser by default. Those ones suck anyhow... wink

I hope emulatorman adds the one I mentioned and arguably, others which actually work. ;p

I used the one which Iceweasel-UXP gave me. This works, but still gives worse results in my native language, than google.

Of course i am aware of google is spying, that is why i use their search from behind a proxy, with no JS and cookies and with random agents. But still, if i am trying to search for local stuff, then i have no alternative. For english searches, DDG or others can be useful, but not for local.

7 (edited by zapper 2019-06-13 03:05:54)

tch wrote:

I used the one which Iceweasel-UXP gave me. This works, but still gives worse results in my native language, than google.

Of course i am aware of google is spying, that is why i use their search from behind a proxy, with no JS and cookies and with random agents. But still, if i am trying to search for local stuff, then i have no alternative. For english searches, DDG or others can be useful, but not for local.

Startpage.com? It uses google, but tries to remove the tracking stuff. Think about it. smile

btw, the searx instances I use do have good english searches for me, but yes they may not be as good as duckduckgo or startpage/ixquick. yikes