Topic: Can't install wicd

I get the following error:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
wicd: /lib exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

There's a similar issue posted on the Arch forum, and someone responded that /lib is deprecated and /usr/lib should be used instead. Any ideas about how I can install this? Or recommendations for another simple network manager?

2 (edited by zapper 2019-05-26 04:33:36)

Re: Can't install wicd

Mesh Malachi wrote:

I get the following error:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
wicd: /lib exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

There's a similar issue posted on the Arch forum, and someone responded that /lib is deprecated and /usr/lib should be used instead. Any ideas about how I can install this? Or recommendations for another simple network manager?

Hmm... I don't use wicd and use network-manager-applet and networkmanager-hardened-configs... my point being, I don't know why that would happen. Though I have had the error your describing before with other packages.
Do you need wicd over networkmanager? if so, I am curious as to why.

is wicd more secure or something?

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

The networkmanager tutorial I read  says that I'd have to remove dhcpd and some other network-related software, and I just didn't want to bother or take the risk of messing up my Internet access.

I installed networkmanager and the applet and couldn't launch them, so I assume the tutorial is correct.

But I guess fixing that is easier than figuring out this wicd problem.

4 (edited by zapper 2019-05-26 09:08:02)

Mesh Malachi wrote:
zapper wrote:

The networkmanager tutorial I read  says that I'd have to remove dhcpd and some other network-related software, and I just didn't want to bother or take the risk of messing up my Internet access.

I installed networkmanager and the applet and couldn't launch them, so I assume the tutorial is correct.

But I guess fixing that is easier than figuring out this wicd problem.

hmm this is peculiar... did you add networkmanager to openrc? like this:

sudo rc-update add NetworkManager default

Also, I don't think you need to remove dhcpcd. I haven't had that problem at least anyways.

In fact I just checked, and I have both installed.  Maybe the tutorial you read is old/has an error.  But yeah, try this:

sudo rc-update add NetworkManager default

and then sudo rc-service NetworkManager start

Ok, it worked.

6 (edited by zapper 2019-05-26 23:57:24)

Mesh Malachi wrote:

Ok, it worked.

Ahhhhhhhh...  Good I thought at one point I would only annoy you by doing so... aka responding the way I did.

I am glad I replied after all.

smile

Since dhcpcd is part of "base" packages, you don't really need anything else to have networking. I don't use NetworkManager anymore, as it is bloat at home as I only use wired. But NetworkManager is fine (with also nice ui) and also convenient for wifi. (network-manager-applet)

Just set up /etc/conf.d/net

My interface is eth0 (I only use wired), yours could be different (enp0s25, enp3s0 etc..), check it out with "ip a".

/etc/conf.d/net

# Set the dns_domain_lo variable to the selected domain name
dns_domain_lo="lan"

#If no domain name is configured, then users will notice they get 
#"This is hostname.(none)" messages at their login screen.
#This should then be fixed by editing /etc/issue and deleting the string .\O from that file.

modules="dhcpcd" # Only needed if you have more than one DHCP module installed
# For DHCP
dhcpcd_eth0="-t 10" # Timeout after 10 seconds
config_eth0="dhcp"

# For static IP using CIDR notation
#config_eth0="192.168.1.x/24"
#routes_eth0="default via 192.168.1.1"
#dns_servers_eth0="192.168.1.1" # use dns provided by router

# For static IP using netmask notation
#config_eth0="192.168.1.x netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.1.255"
#routes_eth0="default via 192.168.1.1"
#dns_servers_eth0="192.168.1.1" # use dns provided by router

I use dhcp to get my IP lease, if you want static, comment the dhcp part and uncomment one of the two blocks below, replacing the values of gateway, netmask, interface.. as needed.
You can also use dhclient instead of dhcpcd. In that case, install it : pacman -S dhclient
and replace the modules line to use "dhclient" instead of dhcpcd.

Then, make a symlink of your interface (here eth0) in /etc/init.d

ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth0

Finally, enable the service :

rc-update add net.eth0 default

aether wrote:

Since dhcpcd is part of "base" packages, you don't really need anything else to have networking.

Yes, I know. I only wanted to install networkmanager so that it would be easier to follow some instructions for transferring files from Linux to Windows.

Without the GUI, I have to figure out how to set up another Ethernet connection and setting IPv4 to "Link local only" from the command line. I will look into editing /etc/conf.d/net for that, thanks for the tip. Something I did with NetworkManager eventually messed up my Internet connection, just as I'd feared.

9 (edited by outtasight 2019-09-25 15:21:33)

I have managed to get both `wicd-gtk` and `wicd` apparently installed and running, on both a virtual machine and real hardware.

First, I installed `wicd`, and let `pacman` complain about /lib.
So then I deleted /lib; it's only a link to /usr/lib anyway.
Reinstall `wicd`, and it installs without any issues.
Deleted /lib again for good measure (this one was a real directory apparently created by installing `wicd`)
Install `wicd-gtk'
Delete /lib again, and re-link.

25/09/2019
Edit:
Although this issue may be resolved in the new Hyperbola 0.3 release, I would like to just mention for the record that I have recently learned that my success as described above for the 64-bit desktop, did not work on a 32-bit laptop, for whatever reason. I was able to manually extract the package contents and get `wicd` to work, however