1

Topic: Milky Way Roadmap

Hi guys, while we are implementing Xenocara for Milky Way v0.3. I've prepared a roadmap with some specific points about all planned versions for Milky Way to let you know how is going our development process:

v0.1:
* Migrate all coadde and my packages in AUR and Parabola to our repos to complete the system -> DONE
* Sync all libre Arch packages -> DONE

v0.2:
* Add OpenRC as the main init system -> DONE
* Remove systemd support -> DONE

v0.3:
* Rebuild all packages in [core] by following the Hyperbola Packaging Guidelines -> DONE
* modules directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib -> DONE
* firmware directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib -> DONE
* initcpio directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib -> DONE
* Add LibreSSL as the default provider of SSL and TLS protocols -> DONE
* Remove OpenSSL support -> DONE
* Add Xenocara as the default provider of display server for the X Window System -> IN PROGRESS
* Remove X.Org support -> IN PROGRESS
* security directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib
* udev directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib
* Remove Node.js support

v0.4:
* Rebuild all packages in [extra] by following the Hyperbola Packaging Guidelines
* Remove remnants of systemd
* Add s6 as an alternative service management
* Add GNU Shepherd as an alternative service management
* Use sndio as our default provider of Sound server
* Remove PulseAudio support
* Use GraphicsMagick as our default provider of Graphics software
* Remove ImageMagick support
* Qt LTS migration
* KDE Plasma LTS migration
* SDL2 migration
* Java removal
* TeX Live restructuring
* Perl 5 restructuring
* Avahi removal
* Remove unsecure protocols
* libdaemon removal
* libatasmart removal
* Rebuild packages with Qt5 WebKit NG

v0.5:
* Rebuild all packages in [community] by following the Hyperbola Packaging Guidelines
* Clean-up [community] by removing unused packages and implementing new ones requested by Hyperbola community

See our Todo lists for further details.

2

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

Emulatorman wrote:

v0.2:
* Add OpenRC as the main init system -> DONE
* Remove systemd support -> DONE

I forgot another major features in v0.2 too:

* Development of UXP applications (Iceweasel-UXP, Icedove-UXP and Iceape-UXP) -> DONE
* rEFInd implementation in live images -> DONE

3

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

Emulatorman wrote:

Hi guys, while we are implementing Xenocara for Milky Way v0.3. I've prepared a roadmap with some specific points about all planned versions for Milky Way to let you know how is going our development process:

v0.1:
* Migrate all coadde and my packages in AUR and Parabola to our repos to complete the system -> DONE
* Sync all libre Arch packages -> DONE

v0.2:
* Add OpenRC as the main init system -> DONE
* Remove systemd support -> DONE

v0.3:
* Rebuild all packages in [core] by following the Hyperbola Packaging Guidelines -> DONE
* modules directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib -> DONE
* firmware directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib -> DONE
* initcpio directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib -> DONE
* Add LibreSSL as the default provider of SSL and TLS protocols -> DONE
* Remove OpenSSL support -> DONE
* Add Xenocara as the default provider of display server for the X Window System -> IN PROGRESS
* Remove X.Org support -> IN PROGRESS
* security directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib
* udev directory in /lib instead of /usr/lib
* Remove Node.js support

v0.4:
* Rebuild all packages in [extra] by following the Hyperbola Packaging Guidelines
* Remove remnants of systemd
* Add s6 as an alternative service management
* Add GNU Shepherd as an alternative service management
* Use sndio as our default provider of Sound server
* Remove PulseAudio support
* Use GraphicsMagick as our default provider of Graphics software
* Remove ImageMagick support
* Qt LTS migration
* KDE Plasma LTS migration
* SDL2 migration
* Java removal
* TeX Live restructuring
* Perl 5 restructuring
* Avahi removal
* Remove unsecure protocols
* libdaemon removal
* libatasmart removal
* Rebuild packages with Qt5 WebKit NG

v0.5:
* Rebuild all packages in [community] by following the Hyperbola Packaging Guidelines
* Clean-up [community] by removing unused packages and implementing new ones requested by Hyperbola community

See our Todo lists for further details.

I look forward to sndio migration. ps, is the new libressl package still in testing? no new updates on it is why I ask.

;o

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

4

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

zapper wrote:

I look forward to sndio migration. ps, is the new libressl package still in testing? no new updates on it is why I ask.

;o

Yes, because Hyperbola isn't a rolling release distro, LibreSSL will be available for v0.3 in stable.

5

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

Emulatorman wrote:
zapper wrote:

I look forward to sndio migration. ps, is the new libressl package still in testing? no new updates on it is why I ask.

;o

Yes, because Hyperbola isn't a rolling release distro, LibreSSL will be available for v0.3 in stable.

I gathered that, hmm... I wonder when 0.3 stable is coming out then.

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

6 (edited by aether 2019-06-07 18:46:37)

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

Hi Emulatorman,
Will the v0.3 features the packages from debian buster ?
By the way, will the move to Xenocara require specific configuration ?
Thanks for your work ! (and others involved)

7

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

aether wrote:

Hi Emulatorman,
Will the v0.3 features the packages from debian buster ?

Hi aether,

Milky Way is based on Arch snapshot of May 8th 2017 + Debian patches from Stretch, see our article about releases for further details.

aether wrote:

By the way, will the move to Xenocara require specific configuration ?

I don't think so, since Xenocara X server is a customised X.Org X server that utilises a dedicated _x11 user by default to drop privileges and perform privilege separation in accordance to OpenBSD's least privilege policy. Anyway, if there is some specific configuration, i'll let you know through a new wiki article or HOWTO.

aether wrote:

Thanks for your work ! (and others involved)

You're welcome smile

8

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

zapper wrote:

I gathered that, hmm... I wonder when 0.3 stable is coming out then.

I think it will be ready around 2 or 3 months.

9

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

Emulatorman wrote:

Milky Way is based on Arch snapshot of May 8th 2017 + Debian patches from Stretch, see our article about releases for further details.

Sorry, got confused. I was wondering about the arch snapshot "update" since the last one is from 2017.. I read "approx. 2020 (stable)" for new release on the page you linked. Well, I guess as long it follows Debian security updates, it is good then.

Emulatorman wrote:

I don't think so, since Xenocara X server is a customised X.Org X server that utilises a dedicated _x11 user by default to drop privileges and perform privilege separation in accordance to OpenBSD's least privilege policy. Anyway, if there is some specific configuration, i'll let you know through a new wiki article or HOWTO.

Ok smile Good then.

10

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

Emulatorman wrote:
zapper wrote:

I gathered that, hmm... I wonder when 0.3 stable is coming out then.

I think it will be ready around 2 or 3 months.

Makes sense, I wondered something btw, is it possible to make a sndio version of apulse? Aka, instead of making programs that require pulse work with alsa, they would work with sndio?

It would be nice if you could do that when we finally switch to sndio. smile

But yeah, do you know how long after buster is released you will make a version of Hyperbola based off of it?

and not an understatement, but you are doing a very hard and tough job... Thank you.  You deserve a lot of credit and also credits too. wink

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

11

Re: Milky Way Roadmap

aether wrote:

Hi Emulatorman,
Will the v0.3 features the packages from debian buster ?
By the way, will the move to Xenocara require specific configuration ?
Thanks for your work ! (and others involved)

1.0 will be what the one based on Buster will be called... I hope in a year Emulatorman will make his own version at the most, of it. smile

and yes, we owe him and others alot of thanks and more!

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!