1 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2019-04-08 15:48:37)

Topic: OpenRC alternative to libsystemd?

I can't run Anki (it did install, however) because I don't have libsystemd installed. Does OpenRC have a libsystemd analogue? Or is there some way to use libsystemd on my system without using systemd for init?

I guess this issue is why Anki isn't in the repos. It's a shame because this is such useful and popular software.

Re: OpenRC alternative to libsystemd?

Mesh Malachi wrote:

I can't run Anki (it did install, however) because I don't have libsystemd installed. Does OpenRC have a libsystemd analogue? Or is there some way to use libsystemd on my system without using systemd for init?

I guess this issue is why Anki isn't in the repos. It's a shame because this is such useful and popular software.

Is anki free software?

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

Is anki free software?

Yes it is. I got it to work by installing a different version.

Mesh Malachi wrote:
zapper wrote:

Is anki free software?

Yes it is. I got it to work by installing a different version.

Ah, k, didn't know if it was. Thanks for the info.

I'm having the same problem. Is there an OpenRC analogue that works like libsystemd.so.0?

This is a library itself, but whenever some application or other package demands to have libsystemd it is either completely depending onto systemd or the wrong parameters were used for building the package itself. So first: Could you provide more details? OpenRC has no support for libsystemd and does not provide that. There is no need to simulate something we want get rid off. smile

Besides to mention that anki won't be ever possible with Hyperbola: Depending on Rust and NodeJS for building. So in the end you should look into the dependencies. And when libsystemd is needed for a package to run, Hyperbola is and stays the wrong system for running that.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

7 (edited by zapper 2021-11-29 18:50:48)

throgh wrote:

This is a library itself, but whenever some application or other package demands to have libsystemd it is either completely depending onto systemd or the wrong parameters were used for building the package itself. So first: Could you provide more details? OpenRC has no support for libsystemd and does not provide that. There is no need to simulate something we want get rid off. smile

Besides to mention that anki won't be ever possible with Hyperbola: Depending on Rust and NodeJS for building. So in the end you should look into the dependencies. And when libsystemd is needed for a package to run, Hyperbola is and stays the wrong system for running that.

Well, nodejs is an insecurity vector which is even worse than rust.

Although, I learned of something fascinating about the badwolf browser... tongue

https://hacktivis.me/standards

https://hacktivis.me/articles/Rust%20su … 20language

This brought a smile to my face big time! smile

Also, if anyone has an ad problem, its up to you if you want to do this...

But there is an awesome option I found online...

https://github.com/hectorm/hblock

It is not entirely libre to warn you, by default...

Aka, some of the filterlists are under dumb licenses.

But you can remove them/comment them out if its a problem.

My point being, I now use /etc/hosts to block ads.  It is so much better than always needing to do it on the browser end. Also, I no longer need to depend on firefox based web browsers! smile

Use it anyway you like, its all up to you guys.

And no, I don't expect you to add it as a package, its easy to activate already! smile

This was semi related btw,  if you read the very top 2 links on this post. wink

throgh wrote:

So first: Could you provide more details?

Besides to mention that anki won't be ever possible with Hyperbola: Depending on Rust and NodeJS for building.

Older precompiled versions of Anki run on hyperbola. I'm just trying to see what happens if I run a newer version.

When I run it, I get an error about missing libsystemd.so.0. Since this is just one module, I thought there might be another module that provides the same functionality, and that I could alter the Anki code.

Of course it's possible that I'd just keep getting systemd errors, but I would give up if that happened.

Ah okay: A precompiled version is exactly the case I've described earlier, because somebody built that on a system with systemd itself. So the best guess would be: Rebuilding the concurrent older version being able to run on Hyperbola and having not that dependency. But I don't know if the package / application itself demands it.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!