Topic: How to install backports?

I know hyperbola has backports, but I can't really find anything on how to install them. How do I do it?

Re: How to install backports?

Kiros wrote:

I know hyperbola has backports, but I can't really find anything on how to install them. How do I do it?

Backports packages are merged inside stable version by default. See the backporting amendment in our packaging guidelines for further details.

That certainly explained what the backports were, but it didn't explain how to install them. Seems like the only way to install backports is to download the package from a mirror and do "pacman -U <package>". This safe to do?

Kiros wrote:

That certainly explained what the backports were, but it didn't explain how to install them. Seems like the only way to install backports is to download the package from a mirror and do "pacman -U <package>". This safe to do?

If you are using Hyperbola, just run pacman -Syu to get the backports packages or pacman -S $package to install the target package, however if you are using an Arch-based distro, i would let you know which our current version in stable (Milky Way v0.2) is the latest compatible version for Arch-based distros since we are migrating our packages to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) for the next stable version (Milky Way v0.3). Arch and Arch-based distros are following the systemd file system hierarchy. [0]

Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything. I'm trying to install the mesa backport, still stuck at 17.0.5, while backports is 18.1.9. The only option I can see is using "pacman -U <package>"

Kiros wrote:

Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything. I'm trying to install the mesa backport, still stuck at 17.0.5, while backports is 18.1.9. The only option I can see is using "pacman -U <package>"

That mesa package comes from Milky Way v0.3 which is being developed in White Hole (testing) to be released in stable soon. In this case you can install by running pacman -U $package because mesa uses common known folders (/usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc), however there are packages like xenocara-server which is using FHS-specific folders such as /usr/libexec and won't work in the current stable version.