1

Topic: How to help?

I shall have some free time this summer starting around next weeekend and would like to help around Hyperbola. Where can I start? I know there's HyperTask but it would be useful to have some more info on how to help and what things are needed the most. Parabolians have a "how to help" article and I don't seem to be able to find a respective one here.

BTW I was thinking about making new packages for some time now. A few months ago I created a hypertask with some PKGBUILDS (for GNU Guix and guile libs used by it) written by me attached to it, so that some1 from Hyperbola Team could add them to the tree. Well, it seems to have got lost in hundreds of other tasks there. That's why I'm now asking how I can actually help - the question I should have probably started with b4 doing anything on my own smile

So... any advice?

Object oriented programs are offered as alternatives to correct ones ~ Edsger W. Dijkstra

2

Re: How to help?

koszko wrote:

So... any advice?

You could create your own git repo in LibreGit or NotABug to put your PKGBUILDs there by following our Packaging Guidelines and Todo tasks. So under this way we could use your PKGBUILDs as base to speed up our development for v0.4. There is a topic about our current roadmap for further details.

3

Re: How to help?

Thanks. When I was looking at the roadmap one thing intrigued me: https://www.hyperbola.info/todo/java-removal/

Despite how much i dislike that language, I don't see how one can have a distribution without a jdk and a jre given so many important programs (like libreoffice) are written in java and so many activities (like university courses) require one to write java code... Is there some other java provider witout trademark issues that's going to be used instead of openjdk? Or maybe openjdk is going to be rebranded?

Simillar question applies to Node.js removal -  what other free javascript engines are avaible? I guess none of them can function as a drop-in replacement for node? Can UXP be used to run javascript programs in a "server" fashion?

Object oriented programs are offered as alternatives to correct ones ~ Edsger W. Dijkstra

4

Re: How to help?

koszko wrote:

Despite how much i dislike that language, I don't see how one can have a distribution without a jdk and a jre given so many important programs (like libreoffice) are written in java and so many activities (like university courses) require one to write java code... Is there some other java provider witout trademark issues that's going to be used instead of openjdk? Or maybe openjdk is going to be rebranded?

OpenJDK contains highly a restrictive name usage in its trademark notice -> No permission is hereby granted to use the Name in any other manner, unless such use constitutes "fair use", for example "based on the OpenJDK source code" or "DistroXYZ's packaging the OpenJDK 6 code".

Therefore, rebranding should be the way (eg. rename it as HyperJDK or LibreJDK) or blacklisting.

Otherwise, LibreOffice can be built without support for Java [0]

koszko wrote:

Simillar question applies to Node.js removal -  what other free javascript engines are avaible? I guess none of them can function as a drop-in replacement for node?

I don't know an exact replacement for node, maybe SpiderMonkey could be a replacement, however it requires researching.

koszko wrote:

Can UXP be used to run javascript programs in a "server" fashion?

You should ask it to g4jc who develops our UXP applications.

5 (edited by zapper 2019-07-01 05:27:36)

Re: How to help?

"OpenJDK contains highly a restrictive name usage in its trademark notice -> No permission is hereby granted to use the Name in any other manner, unless such use constitutes "fair use", for example "based on the OpenJDK source code" or "DistroXYZ's packaging the OpenJDK 6 code".

Therefore, rebranding should be the way (eg. rename it as HyperJDK or LibreJDK) or blacklisting.

Otherwise, LibreOffice can be built without support for Java [0]"

*Emulatorman's Comment above*

I recommend rebranding personally because it would probably be a lot less work and OpenJDK might have some legitimate uses otherwise.

Matter of fact, please do not remove it and rebrand it instead. As for Libreoffice though, OpenJDK probably should be disabled in that by default if possible, if its a security problem I mean...

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

6 (edited by koszko 2019-07-06 18:33:14)

Re: How to help?

Emulatorman wrote:

You could create your own git repo in LibreGit or NotABug to put your PKGBUILDs there [...]

I did as you said and created a repo https://libregit.org/koszko/PKGBUILDs
I've just put my old guix PKGBUILDs there. As I prepare more I'm going to put them there too.

I'm not sure about licensing... I did use PKGBUILDs from AUR and Parabola as a base but I have found no info as to what license applies to them. It seems ppl just don't care. Now I used Unlicense for my new repo. Is this OK? Or should I change it?

There seems to be more than one package that needs rebranding (other than OpenJDK there is Rust, right?). If I want to help with one of them, should I just attach a set of patches to the PKGBUILD or would it be better to fork the entire repo of the project being rebranded and work there?

Emulatorman wrote:

eg. rename it as HyperJDK or LibreJDK

I love the name HyperJDK ♡

EDIT: One more question. My repo on libregit contains just my PKGBUILDs. Perhaps I should instead clone the the entire packages/community and work there? If so, tell me. Otherwise, I'm gonna keep doing it the way I started. 🙂

Object oriented programs are offered as alternatives to correct ones ~ Edsger W. Dijkstra

7

Re: How to help?

koszko wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:

You could create your own git repo in LibreGit or NotABug to put your PKGBUILDs there [...]

I did as you said and created a repo https://libregit.org/koszko/PKGBUILDs
I've just put my old guix PKGBUILDs there. As I prepare more I'm going to put them there too.

I'm not sure about licensing... I did use PKGBUILDs from AUR and Parabola as a base but I have found no info as to what license applies to them. It seems ppl just don't care. Now I used Unlicense for my new repo. Is this OK? Or should I change it?

There seems to be more than one package that needs rebranding (other than OpenJDK there is Rust, right?). If I want to help with one of them, should I just attach a set of patches to the PKGBUILD or would it be better to fork the entire repo of the project being rebranded and work there?

Emulatorman wrote:

eg. rename it as HyperJDK or LibreJDK

I love the name HyperJDK ♡

I agree with HyperJDK as a good name, but LibreJDK sounds good too though. Not picky about this. meh...

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!