76 (edited by ConstantMotion 2023-04-11 14:14:09)

Re: Hyperbola Project needs donations!

throgh wrote:

We have reactivated the "wire-transfers" and "Paypal" again in the wiki: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … :donations
You can look at the concurrent state in this thread.

3 suggestions for improvement

Hello,

In the thread you've just started, it says 'Those will be listed either anonymous or with name in combination with the amount.'

Info should be added on what donors have to do for an anonymous listing with the donation amount or their donation (example: 'Sunday Apr 2, 2023 - anonymous donor - 9.05 CHF). I assume one has to explicitly ask for it in the wire transfers reference/purpose field.

2. In the respective hyperbola-wiki-site for donations, you've just linked to, it says

in the box
'CCP CHF:     87-112233-4
CCP EUR:     91-959544-0'

It's unclear for me, what that is, never encountered that before in a wire transfer.
Short general explanation what that is and when it's needed and how would be helpful.
More crucial: The box misses a reference/purpose field, which is definitely necessary.

'The wire transfer message has to include Hyperbola, otherwise it won't be a donation dedicated to Hyperbola. For questions such as additional account holder info (eg. residential address, email, etc), do not hesitate to contact us.'

This section seems to address how to deal with the reference/purpose field, but does so in a very vague, unclear way. If it indeed does so, a more clear way to put it in words would be better. Something, which explicitly uses and links 2 words: 1. Hyperbola 2. reference/purpose field.
Examples: Completion of box by additional row
• 'Reference: Hyperbola'
or
• 'Reference: Hyperbola, anonymous donor listing'

Once again regarding this section

in the box
'CCP CHF:     87-112233-4
CCP EUR:     91-959544-0'

this time in combination with this section

'Our bank account accepts only wire transfers in Swiss Franc (CHF), Euros (EUR), Pound Sterling (GBP) and American Dollars (USD). '

Obviously, the section in the box is linked to currencies.
According to the cited section, donations can be done in 4 different currencies.
But in the box for just 2 of 4 currencies are details about that ominous CCP.
Shouldn't that section of the box be completed by adding 2 rows like, for example,
'CCP GBP:     12-345678-9
'CCP USD:     98-765432-1'

Or will people donating in GBP or USD never have to add such an info anywhere within their wire transfer, in contrast to people donating in CHF or EUR?

Hope I could help,
ConstantMotion

All was reconstructed and reworked.
Using the reference-field is mandatory for any wire-transfer, otherwise this won't work for sure. Please let's stop discussing and see what is working and what not. Those information were long before part of the wiki and found their way back as already mentioned. There is no need for discussions in this moment. Thanks nevertheless for the input!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

78 (edited by Individuo 2023-04-17 14:45:23)

rachad wrote:

i would recommend to add wire transfer as well as monero, but we would come back to the same question of how we keep our donations transparent?

I agree, is there a way that a crypto wallet (especially monero given it's privacy respecting nature and it's rise in popularity) could be set up to receive donations in crypto or was this already considered and decided against (asking to whoever manages the donations) ?

I ask this because it would give people a way to donate money in a completely anonymous way (because of the banking system design nowadays and 4 out of the 5 current ways to donate is relying on a 3rd party and the 5th is Wire Transfer).

And as for transparency, looking at the previous post format disclosing the donation amount, you could publish the amount of monero and its value in euro/dollar at a certain time (for example if the post is from May 1st 2023 and the monero market value is 127 €/$ at that time, you cite the amount of monero, it's total value in euro/dollar and the monero market value as of May 1st 2023) ? Just a proposition.

I am not saying that having a Patreon or a Paypal is a bad thing in itself in this case but in my opinion, it would only benefit the community to have such thing, but again, just my opinion.

EDIT: I just realised that the second paragraph was a little ambiguous, i am not criticising the actual donation system, i am just saying that i noted that there was no way of donating in a privacy respecting manner and that, even if bigger ones is at hand, adding donation in crypto would fix this problem.

We have now:

€14,82 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€56 per month from 3 patrons on Patreon

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

To underline the reasoning why we won't add any crypto-currency now or in the future: Besides that there is a common wide field for misusage and scamming in those regions there is the essential point those technologies have a deep impact on environmental issues as they consume much energy for adapting the digital "money". With more CPU-power, RAM-usage and disk-usage needed there is also a rise in energy-costs. Hyperbola has a clear point about not only adapting towards lightweight packaging for security and privacy, being flexible, it has also the point about technical emancipation and taking the impact down hardware has for consuming more resources.

We cannot pay with Monero or any other crypto-currency direct for needed monthly costs. So we would need to exchange and this will also consume even more time besides listingthe amount of donated values.

All in all this makes even more work than anything without adding much more. We would also need to repackage Monero again and official support that. We don't see any further value within that. Please respect to take not this thread off-topic throughout further debates. Thank you! And I want to underline that there is always the possibility to support with direct help: Documentation? Or porting for the upcoming BSD-kernel? Help for development with the userland? If there is interest, feel free to contact Emulatorman or Coadde as this is always appreciated. With more hands helping HyperbolaBSD will get also more support. wink

@throgh To be honest, I agree with most of what you said, except, there is a part of me, that is sad that there isn't a cryptocurrency that is as light as a feather and uses to put it in software terms:

What Hyperbola is with a window manager, compared to Archlinux with Gnome3 on it and a bunch of other non-essential crap.

Or to put it another way, Hyperbola = 0.01% on the bloat meter and arch = a full 100%.

I say this, because of how easily stuff can be tracked already.

That being said, cryptocurrency is too bloated to be good enough for this purpose, so I agree with you many times over.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

We have now:

€14,88 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€71 per month from 3 patrons on Patreon

Thank you to the donors! smile

We have now:

€14,91 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€51 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

We have now:

€14,91 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€54 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

We have now:

€14,84 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€56 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

Please remember: There are more ways to donate and support Hyperbola as project with financials (https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … :donations). It is for sure okay to ask for additions besides, but we also cannot look always on demands without people giving back some support. Free and libre software, projects and culture is living from the support of people in favor for, not from investors or comparable structures. People are doing the best possible in their free time! And the Hyperbola-project is alive with people supporting it: With ideas, with active hands and help, with financial support and code. The financial support is the base so we can pay the hosting and look out for further development as far possible. For the moment the amount is not making the search possible and so we can only work with what we can accomplish.

This means also that no funding is taking over the responsibility for our basic needs like hosting. Even if some people brought that into, that would only help for current or future development with a special goal to reach. Besides the questionable dependencies coming those structures cannot pay the bills for servers, energy and diskspace. Free and libre software is handmade, also the packaging. Please don't await that any funding is taking away the own responsibility and will for support. smile

And there are different ideas for free and libre software getting more financial support, but many of them include the restrictions of freedom instead, just for "selling points". This makes free and libre software the complete opposite, same way as having more and more investors-like support. There is always a price and ours is the trust for having software from people for people, not from companies and corporations. We will never leave this kind of road ahead as strict and clear values are forward, towards technical emancipation. Remember: It's better to be based upon a really free kernel then on an non-free kernel that is then freed (yes, Linux, I mean you).

@throgh Wasn't saying I won't donate in the future, just that I need to save money sometimes before I can give Hyperbola any. wink

Just thought I would clarify that.

Wasn't saying anyone had the excuse not do donate if they want this project to survive and/or get new features, etc... new architectures, etc...

Given all of this and more, I did already donate quite a hefty amount. I have told you this elsewhere. tongue

Anywho, I probably should have clarified a while ago. So my bad...

You are for sure not one to address, zapper. smile
My text was more generic meant: So the people donating are doing the best to keep Hyperbola working would be more and following that line it would be also better working with right ahead feeling responsible for everything. No one has to excuse, just donations financial would be helping if people can't or have not the time. Supporting the development of HyperbolaBSD would be anytime possible with more developers, just when people raise hands.

We have now:

€15,11 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€56 per month from 2 patrons on Patreon

We have now:

€3,54 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
€99 per month from 3 patrons on Patreon

So we have lost two people donating via Liberapay,
We have 1 further person to donate via Patreon. Thanks!

All in all: Please have in mind that financial support is nevertheless needed.

We have now:

€3,49 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
100,9 $ per month from 4 patrons on Patreon

All in all: Please have in mind that financial support is nevertheless needed: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=825

We have now:

€3,51 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
101,2 $ per month from 4 patrons on Patreon

Thanks to the donors for their on-going support.
All in all: Please have in mind that financial support is nevertheless needed: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=825

HyperbolaBSD is in progress and version 0.4.3 in further testing and development. Please have in mind that donation, either financial or on other ways, is a task for us all to preserve software freedom.

We have now:

€3.46 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
€100.9 per month from 4 patrons on Patreon

HyperbolaBSD is in progress and version 0.4.3 in further testing and development. Please have in mind that donation, either financial or on other ways, is a task for us all to preserve software freedom.

We have now:

€3.48 per week from 2 patrons on Liberapay
€56.24 per month from 3 patrons on Patreon

We have now:

€12,42 per week from 3 patrons on Liberapay
€58,91 per month from 4 patrons on Patreon

We have now:

€12,42 per week from 3 patrons on Liberapay
€145,90 per month from 5 patrons on Patreon

The more support we get, the more support we can give back. With more financials in the back we can also provide faster development. Nevertheless: Thank you for all support.

We have now:

€12,57 per week from 3 patrons on Liberapay
€166,50 per month from 7 patrons on Patreon

The more support we get, the more support we can give back. With more financials in the back we can also provide faster development. Nevertheless: Thank you for all support.

Glad people are donating more finally to this good cause.

big_smile

We have now:

€12.64 per week from 3 patrons on Liberapay
€73.31 per month from 4 patrons on Patreon

We have now:

€12.54 per week from 3 patrons on Liberapay
€73.30 per month on Patreon

We have now:

€13,46 per week from 4 patrons on Liberapay
€70,65 per month on Patreon