1 (edited by kingdotnet 2022-04-30 09:15:04)

Topic: Installation iso won't boot up

I've tried Etcher and the DD command and everytime it loads the menu fine, but keeps getting stuck when loading the modules on both Bios and UEFI partitions, I can't add much, as it's not a single Module/section that freezes it's seemingly random, but more towards the end of loading everything, and no matter how long I leave it go it refuses to boot. I use Arch and have used several other distros and this is the first time a boot error like this happened for me and it's consistently happening, not a single successful boot up. Plz help, there's no messages or anything to indicate the problem for me to go on.

Also if I ever figure this out, What exactly are Hyperbola & Parabola I read that it's Arch & Debian yet this forum asked me to echo HyperbolaBSD and paste the output, which made me wonder is this Linux or BSD.

Re: Installation iso won't boot up

Hello and welcome, for helping there would be more details needed: Your hardware-configuration is of interest and your generic firmware (BIOS or UEFI). Hyperbola is on the way being no longer based on the Linux-kernel and going forward own BSD-implementation. Also Hyperbola and Parabola are both two completely different systems with different points: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre is a libre distribution based onto Arch GNU/Linux. Hyperbola is only using the package-management from Arch GNU/Linux, but is doing own parts completely as we are not taking any package directly and insstead build everything from scratch.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by kingdotnet 2022-04-30 13:28:55)

throgh wrote:

Hello and welcome, for helping there would be more details needed: Your hardware-configuration is of interest and your generic firmware (BIOS or UEFI). Hyperbola is on the way being no longer based on the Linux-kernel and going forward own BSD-implementation. Also Hyperbola and Parabola are both two completely different systems with different points: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre is a libre distribution based onto Arch GNU/Linux. Hyperbola is only using the package-management from Arch GNU/Linux, but is doing own parts completely as we are not taking any package directly and insstead build everything from scratch.

UEFI, 32 gigs of Ram, 500gb Nvme, 1 tb internal Mech drive, and 4 gig external mech drive, along with AMD Ryzen, 4 core and Nvidia, anything else needed just let me know. And that's the first time I've ever heard of a Linux distro switching to BSD, I'm intrigued now lol. And ok that's the difference I always thought of them in the same breath, Hyperbola and Parabola I mean.

Well, there are different parts not really oriented onto free soft- and hardware: Nvidia especially is the first being not really possible. Is it the kepler-generation? AMD Ryzen would let me guess if it is possible to run - don't know. Most to say: No clue where the problem is for now. I would try to go step by step. But I have doubts if the system can run on the hardware.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by kingdotnet 2022-04-30 22:14:59)

throgh wrote:

Well, there are different parts not really oriented onto free soft- and hardware: Nvidia especially is the first being not really possible. Is it the kepler-generation? AMD Ryzen would let me guess if it is possible to run - don't know. Most to say: No clue where the problem is for now. I would try to go step by step. But I have doubts if the system can run on the hardware.

Ok but that doesn't explain why ISO won't even boot, and I'm not too concerned once I can actually use commands, so long as Hyperbola is using ANYTHING Arch, I have access to the AUR via Yay, Trizen, Paru etc and can thus install Nvidia and AMD depencies that way, compatibly has never been a problem ever since I started exclusively using Arch or arch-based distros. curl -LO archdi.sf.net/archdi and proceed to install an AUR helper and Pacman-contrib update at the very top of the script, then Yay -Sy nvidia-git amd-ucode archlinux-keyring  reflector fakeroot blackarch-keyring blackman, os-prober efibootmgr pacman-contrib, and boom,  the best Hyperbola has to offer, with the entire Arch User Repository (minus anything hard dependent on Systemd) and Blackman to install BlackArch packages lol. Meta distros like Arch, Gentoo & Bedrock are god tier if used, as they can be deployed from almost any Distro.

Hyperbola is NOT Arch GNU/Linux. Using the AUR is all at own risk: It is full with poor made package-builds without any kind of responsibility. Same as for the community-repository of Arch GNU/Linux itself: It is kind of mess and full with problems, wrong licensed packages and more. So using it is all of your own risk. No support from us here possible onto that especially. Furthermore: We don't and won't provide access to the AUR at all.

My personal recommendation: If you want to use that you should look onto Artix GNU/Linux especially. The reasoning for that is also easy and clear: Our xenocara has no support for nonfree drivers at all, so if you want to install the drivers from nvidia you won't have that much luck at all.

7 (edited by kingdotnet 2022-04-30 23:41:07)

throgh wrote:

Hyperbola is NOT Arch GNU/Linux. Using the AUR is all at own risk: It is full with poor made package-builds without any kind of responsibility. Same as for the community-repository of Arch GNU/Linux itself: It is kind of mess and full with problems, wrong licensed packages and more. So using it is all of your own risk. No support from us here possible onto that especially. Furthermore: We don't and won't provide access to the AUR at all.

My personal recommendation: If you want to use that you should look onto Artix GNU/Linux especially. The reasoning for that is also easy and clear: Our xenocara has no support for nonfree drivers at all, so if you want to install the drivers from nvidia you won't have that much luck at all.

I'm aware it's at my own risk and I'm fine with that, and Hyperbola may not be Arch, but it's not BSD either, it doesn't use Monolithic kernel, or ZFS by default, both of which are what BSD are known for using and what sperated Linus' project from the one at Berkley. Not trashing by the way, just proving Hybrid distros can do it all, even turn Arch or Hyperbola from Linux to BSD, and back again without missing a beat if done responsibly. Also here's a link, what were u saying about Xenocara not being compatible with Nvidia? Again Open source = only limited by your imagination, also You do realize it was ported to Linux from OpenBSD already right? It's literally in the AUR right now.

https://github.com/toddfries/OpenBSD-xe … v_driver.c

I understand that, but this was a generic meant warning: The quality of a package can be already seen if it has the correct license. Meaning "custom" is not the correct one, the same as "BSD-clause". So it is for sure not a good quality and poorly made in the generic parts. Going further the installation-methods are often not correct used for many packages. The reasoning for us to take action and redesign many packages or build from the ground up again. smile

9 (edited by kingdotnet 2022-04-30 23:17:05)

throgh wrote:

I understand that, but this was a generic meant warning: The quality of a package can be already seen if it has the correct license. Meaning "custom" is not the correct one, the same as "BSD-clause". So it is for sure not a good quality and poorly made in the generic parts. Going further the installation-methods are often not correct used for many packages. The reasoning for us to take action and redesign many packages or build from the ground up again. smile

Let's agree to disagree then, Libre is only a modified Linux kernel after all, it's not using any Distro specific Kernel like BSD's monolithic kernel, or the Genkernel so it's no different than Xanmod, Next, or SELinux, open source means any package is only a fork away from the source code being altered, broken and put back together, regardless of original intent. Hyperbola is still Linux heavy,  Have a good one and thanks for ur input.

Yes, Hyperbola is for 0.4 now based onto GNU/Linux-libre. There was never said something different about that. But the plan is to stop building on top of GNU/Linux-libre. You can read all within our wiki about the roadmap to come: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … la_roadmap

So if you have knowledge: Tryout running 0.4 on the hardware you are using. Thanks for your thread!
Besides to note: We don't have anything in common with the vague term "open-source".

Besides: We have an own git-repository. So it is nice to route towards Github, but this is ours: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/
And here you can find the source-code for xenocara being used from us, which got essential nonfree parts removed: https://repo.hyperbola.info:50000/sourc … ara-libre/

11 (edited by kingdotnet 2022-05-01 00:02:09)

throgh wrote:

Yes, Hyperbola is for 0.4 now based onto GNU/Linux-libre. There was never said something different about that. But the plan is to stop building on top of GNU/Linux-libre. You can read all within our wiki about the roadmap to come: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … la_roadmap

So if you have knowledge: Tryout running 0.4 on the hardware you are using. Thanks for your thread!

Nah I got the ISO running (finally) I'll stick with Xanmod Edge, thanks tho, that's why I picked Hyperbola and not Parabola, Command line installation so I don't have to use a guided installer without much room for pre install customization, to me guides are just outlines that I personally fill in with what I want not necessarily what is standard, speaking of how you gonna say this is BSD last time I checked you don't use Arch-Chroot on a BSD, also It's amazing how I see numerous commands that look like that were copied off the Arch Wiki, and pasted here. Fyi generating the Fstab can be near perfect without much typing needed if you use Dracut instead, it automatically detects the mount points with very high accuracy. Your welcome, later all.

kingdotnet wrote:
throgh wrote:

I'm aware it's at my own risk and I'm fine with that, and Hyperbola may not be Arch, but it's not BSD either, it doesn't use Monolithic kernel, or ZFS by default, both of which are what BSD are known for using and what sperated Linus' project from the one at Berkley. Not trashing by the way, just proving Hybrid distros can do it all, even turn Arch or Hyperbola from Linux to BSD, and back again without missing a beat if done responsibly. Also here's a link, what were u saying about Xenocara not being compatible with Nvidia? Again Open source = only limited by your imagination, also You do realize it was ported to Linux from OpenBSD already right? It's literally in the AUR right now.

I have not said that xenocara is not compatible with nvidia. I only have doubts that you would be able to use the nonfree drivers with the version we are providing. smile You can run for sure the x-server on nvidia-cards, but most with the free drivers. That was and is the point: "open-source" is a vague term, "free" software is another part with a complete different approach. I only have written down my points about the hardware you are using as we had not the opportunity to test that onto those platforms. wink

Good to hear you have the ISO running. That's a good one because I was and be sorry that I could not help here for the moment - again to note: We have not that hardware in reach. And nouveau has for sure issues with newer cards above the kepler-generation.

throgh wrote:
kingdotnet wrote:
throgh wrote:

I have not said that xenocara is not compatible with nvidia. I only have doubts that you would be able to use the nonfree drivers with the version we are providing. smile You can run for sure the x-server on nvidia-cards, but most with the free drivers. That was and is the point: "open-source" is a vague term, "free" software is another part with a complete different approach. I only have written down my points about the hardware you are using as we had not the opportunity to test that onto those platforms. wink

Good to hear you have the ISO running. That's a good one because I was and be sorry that I could not help here for the moment - again to note: We have not that hardware in reach. And nouveau has for sure issues with newer cards above the kepler-generation.

It's literally Arch-Light, or the purest form of Arch, K.I.S.S and all. half the commands are taken word for word from the Arch install guide,
Yeah idk when it's turning into BSD but I never saw someone install GhostBSD or others using Arch-chroot and pacstrap, it's Linux, BSD in name only, cuz BSD is Supposed to be Unix heavy, Hyperbola is Arch heavy, Idk what I was expecting but I wasn't expecting a clone.

Hyperbola is not a clone from Arch GNU/Linux. And for now it is called Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre as it is using the same base but with a different approach regarding:

- init-system
- frameworks in usage

I have explained already and inserted you the link: We are on working for HyperbolaBSD, but that won't happen soon enough so 0.4 and 0.4.x is our base approach first removing all frameworks we have identified as generic problem and in the way for BSD at all. Afterwards we are working now most time on fixing for 0.4.1 next to come. smile For our plans regarding HyperbolaBSD (again it is not there and in the work) we want a complete own system-base being established.

I can also make a short look onto our previous versions:

0.1 was our initial release but with a base snapshot taken 2017 from Arch GNU/Linux
0.2 was based onto the removal of systemd and using openrc on the snapshot taken
0.3 was the removal of common xorg-server and using xenocara, also removal of nodejs and others identified as problem
0.4 is now the removal of all generic GNU/Linux-only frameworks and the complete rewrite of the system from scratch as we don't use snapshot-packages taken from 2017 and build our own

The rest is in the future to be done for now (point onto roadmap).
I don't know where the impression comes from that Hyperbola is right now HyperbolaBSD, but I can again underline: That is not for now with 0.4. It is the plan to do it. So if you are interested to help or support, feel welcome here. But otherwise it would be nice when you look a bit more deep into what we have done and we are onto instead approaching with the wording "clone" which is in fact far away from the concurrent state. Besides also to note that we are NOT "open-source" and deny vague terms in general. We also have no unfree packages in our repositories or offer some vague parts.