Topic: [Hyperbola 0.4] Libreboot fsck filesystem error

I have used Hyperbola 0.4 for more than a month on two computers, one Libreboot X200 and one conventional. So far I have had 5 times problems with the  filesystem on the Libreboot and no problems on the normal computer. (with problem I understand having to use the fsck command manually to repair the filesystem to boot)
Maybe it happens after copying large files, for example with the "dd" command to make a live usb or with the "cp" or "rsync" command. I will try Trisquel for a few weeks on my X200 to see if the same thing happens or if LIBREBOOT (version 2016) has a problem with Hyperbola 0.4.

Has anyone had the same problem with Libreboot?

Re: [Hyperbola 0.4] Libreboot fsck filesystem error

I am using a Libreboot-system (ThinkPad X60s) for the whole development of packages for Hyperbola 0.4: No problems at all and the system has endured very hard times for building and compiling. Also using all systems here with either Core- or Libreboot. Also no problem with Hyperbola 0.4 at all.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Then I'll have an electrical problem, I don't know, with Hyperbola 0.3 it never happened to me, I'll do tests.
Thank you throgh

same here gnu i have thinkpad x200 with libreboot 2016 and it works fine with hyperbola v0.4
what kind of issue do u have ?

So far I have had 5 times problems with the  filesystem on the Libreboot and no problems on the normal computer. (with problem I understand having to use the fsck command manually to repair the filesystem to boot)

It must be said that my computer is connected to a UPS because it has no battery and the disk it uses is an SSD, perhaps it is a power supply problem.

gnu wrote:

So far I have had 5 times problems with the  filesystem on the Libreboot and no problems on the normal computer. (with problem I understand having to use the fsck command manually to repair the filesystem to boot)

It must be said that my computer is connected to a UPS because it has no battery and the disk it uses is an SSD, perhaps it is a power supply problem.

SSD should actually save you battery life though...

If I had to wager a guess, it is most definitely, not that.

I don't think its an ultrabay, hmm...

Throgh, are you using FDE + /Boot

I believe he has that setup...

it does puzzle me somewhat though that its acting up for him.

I assume you used the filesystem, that Hyperbola suggested, so I wonder...

It might help if you showed Throgh, everything you did... and I do mean... everything.

Otherwise, you might keep running into issues...

Sorry I cannot be of more help...

sad

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I'm using T60 with coreboot without battery (using the docking station with an external screen and loudspeakers). Everything works fine.

8 (edited by zapper 2022-05-04 21:24:15)

Problem is, he said libreboot, not coreboot...

wink

EDIT: Unless this problem has been fixed...

-_-

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

This problem seems not being possible to fix in software. Otherwise there is more input needed to reconstruct such a scenario.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

UPDATE:
I'm trying a traditional disk instead of the ssd. In the next few weeks I would have to know if the problem disappears

11 (edited by dikasp2 2022-06-19 12:32:43)

a dinosaur with thinkpad x220 libreboot with ssd here. long ago my battery starting to broke and causing power failure. when rebooted i see file error and incostitency, forcing fsck resulted on some file loss.

i assumed I/O process in 0.4 not very very robust yet, so try not to accidentaly interupt your computer while it had ongoing process like moving/deleting data or shutdown/reboot.

(edit)
not very sure but it can related to disk capability and filesystem used as well. hope it will beter with next hyperbsd system.

Would be cool if we find a way to solve that point especially. For sure it would be good to solve that if there is an issue. I had no problems here with a ThinkPad X60s using Libreboot in productive environment since release - no ssd until now.

I have had this problem with Hyperbola with an SSD drive, this same drive with Trisquel works perfectly, while Hyperbola with a traditional hard drive does not seem to have any problems. It is very difficult to understand the reasons.

When the computer is not shutting down correct, the filesystem is for sure not in any consistent state at a time. Also to remember: Those problems cannot be solved here in the forums and need further investigation with concrete logs, hardware-specifications and more within a concrete issue created. Everything else would not help further here as it would result into guessing what kind of error it could be.

Also to remember again: Version 0.4 had a very long time for testing and we never received any feedback about that error within that time or further parts to analyze. Waiting for a stable release and than stating there is some problem is of no help also. We cannot compare Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre to Trisquel GNU/Linux as there are different parts being not comparable in any way. Kernel is not comparable, environment and base is not comparable also. So in general we need to do a complete research and test different scenarios. So personally I am not able to test that here alone and same for the rest of the team as we have neither that much hardware nor the generic resource to rebuild the scenarios. We need each other as community to rely and test. Therefore we have a testing-branch and therefore we need issues with reports and feedback. When just waiting for someone to solve it, this won't be solved at all.

It's been 10 months since I wrote this post. In these months I have used Trisquel and I have never had this problem with fsck. It seems obvious to me that the problem is in my installation of Hyperbola and not in the hardware. I'm waiting for 0.4.3 to do more tests. Anyway...

A few days ago I read in the forum about a software called "zzz" to suspend.
Instead this is the command I was using:

echo mem > /sys/power/state

Could it be the way of suspending that it creates problems?
What do you think?

Since 0.4.3 is now available for a longer period of time: Is there any update in this?
Otherwise I will close this thread within the next days when there is no feedback.