Topic: Problems with xfontsel

Copy from thread: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=798

anthk wrote:

I found some bug related to the font handling under Hyperbola. 'xfontsel' doesn't list the PCF bitmapped fonts, which are used for some legacy tools with Motif/Athena for instance. If you want to use a font with good coverage of symbols (misc fixed 10x20 iso10646-1) under DDD (for accented/non ASCII characters), you can't, you are restricted to ASCII 9x15 fonts.

This error happens even if I have the  all -meta font metapackages installed.

Please let's discuss within here possible solutions and scenarios how to test that.
Thank you!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by anthk 2023-01-17 17:23:03)

Re: Problems with xfontsel

First I think the fixed Xenocara packages (and metapackages) should hit the testing repos, then we could add xlsfonts so the xfontsel issue gets easier to debug.

You mean with "meta-package" the desktop? No, those won't come for now as this needs common development and adjustment also. But what is coming with a bunch are the reworked xenocara-groups and I hope to finish the work tomorrow on the UXP-applications. As noted I have also reworked the roadmap as the initial perspective was just to fix packages, without anything new. The focus lies now on the desktop-experience for 0.4.3. So this is the next step for development of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … y_way_v043

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

4 (edited by anthk 2023-01-17 19:11:23)

throgh wrote:

You mean with "meta-package" the desktop? No, those won't come for now as this needs common development and adjustment also. But what is coming with a bunch are the reworked xenocara-groups and I hope to finish the work tomorrow on the UXP-applications. As noted I have also reworked the roadmap as the initial perspective was just to fix packages, without anything new. The focus lies now on the desktop-experience for 0.4.3. So this is the next step for development of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … y_way_v043

No, I mean the typo on xencara, and adding xlsfonts. And the -debug package dependency clash.

On Iceweasel-UXP, there was an extension to bring back the old squared tabs:

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer

Okay, but regarding UXP-applications there is no plan for adding that kind of addon in special. It is about updating and fixing parts, so the applications are at a glance for users perspective. Without a good impression those would be in a bad shape. That is also the reasoning for us we cannot add endless new packages or wishes. Being onto to do what is possible and needed, but at a point we have to stop to preserver stability and security.

I can only call for motivation to share own package-builds (PKGBUILD-scripts) here in the forums. Hyperbola is oriented by the community for the community and better we work all on the issues discovered.

So one example: With more donations and financial support we are able to boost also building and make it better for all. With faster building and more possibilities we are also able to support each other. When there are only most time demands without support - no only meant generic, not as direct criticism - we can only step forwards slowly. Yes, Hyperbola has not hundreds of packagers or testers, but more support from each other would be sure a good point. smile

More than "endless", it's a bare extension than could set the old iceweasel appearance to the old "squared" one, saving lots of screen space. Also it can disable some animations and fx, cutting down cycles on many legacy machines here, such as the i686 one I'm using.

It wouldn't even need to ve packaged, just referenced in the Iceweasel-UXP addons page.

We nevertheless need to review that concrete software and it needs time for the review. Also we need to upload the addon and save the source in a git-repository. That needs time and yes, gladly investing it but we should stay focussed here in the thread onwards the reported problem.

No problem about the XPI. On the Xenocara bug, when the new packages made from Emulatorman contributions hit the repos, I'll update as soon as I could to test the issues. Currently, I am running Hyperbola from the testing repos because of convenience.

Okay, no problem with that for sure. You can for sure also test some sidewise added packages yourself as they are here:

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … mulatorman

Besides we have also some troubles with the build-server for the moment, so we would address also later in the meetup for possible solutions in the short and long perspective.