1 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2023-05-20 08:07:18)

Topic: Any advice on booting the installation ISO from hard disk?

The iso is slightly too large for my USB's storage capacity, and I don't want to buy another USB. There's no cdrom drive.

I've tried this custom grub entry:

menuentry "Hyperbola GNU/Linux" {
    insmod ext2
    set isofile "/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.-dual.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,4)$isofile
    linux (loop)/hyperbola/boot/x86_64/vmlinux
    initrd (loop)/hyperbola/boot/x86_64/initramfs-hyperiso.img
}

It boots, but drops to a rootfs session with the error "/dev/disk/by-label device did not show up after 30 seconds." In the folder /dev/disk/by-label is one file: System\x20Reserved.

Re: Any advice on booting the installation ISO from hard disk?

It is not clear for me what you want to reach with mounting the ISO-file alone. You would need to have at minimum some data being accessed and using the loopback is from my current point of view not intended for this.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You would need to have at minimum some data being accessed and using the loopback is from my current point of view not intended for this.

I didn't know that; I copied the grub entry from what I found online and I don't really know what's correct or wrong with it.

I'm trying to install the OS.

Yes I understand that you want to install the OS. But foremost mounting the ISO on that way while accessing its contents at the same time won't work out from my current understanding. Maybe I'm wrong? The best way is to write the content of the ISO-file on a device of your choice and from what you have written you have already a disk ready. So it would be better to use a concrete USB-case. Using the same disk containing the ISO-file and mounting from there is not of any good way forward as even if you can manage to get it working: How about the enumeration of possible partitions afterwards? All in all: A dedicated device / disk is right away better.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2023-05-21 20:25:14)

throgh wrote:

Using the same disk containing the ISO-file and mounting from there is not of any good way forward as even if you can manage to get it working: How about the enumeration of possible partitions afterwards? All in all: A dedicated device / disk is right away better.

I have the iso saved on one partition and I'm trying to install to another partition.

Hmm, do you have in mind that the file perhaps is not fitting?

menuentry "Hyperbola GNU/Linux" {
    insmod ext2
    set isofile "/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.2-dual.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,4)$isofile
    linux (loop)/hyperbola/boot/x86_64/vmlinux
    initrd (loop)/hyperbola/boot/x86_64/initramfs-hyperiso.img
}

There are many possible errors within this. Using that article perhaps can help: https://www.tecmint.com/run-linux-live- … -in-linux/

Nevertheless: Is the disk (hd0,4) existing? That would be also next to approve. But also to underline: You would to measure the settings for yourself as no one else overlooks your configuration better than you! smile