Re: xinitrc missing from /etc/X11/xinit, bspwm doesn't start

Hello. Radiatorman I asked you about polybar because I am also experimenting with Dwmblocks and Slstatus, this is also a status bar.

As for encryption, now you can try Luks1, here are my instructions => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=920, as for Luks2, you need to update the firmware in which GRUB LUKS2 support with argon2. Later, when I’m done, I’ll publish it, I’m currently repairing my PC.

throgh wrote:

An update is not planned for the moment as we are in the critical part of developing the kernel and infrastructure. First all has to stand with the first stable release of HyperbolaBSD 1.0. If you have interest to support at a point, feel invited: Help is always welcome.

I don't have a thorough knowledge of the system yet, and I'm not a kernel developer, but if i experiment a bit more with hyperbola, I'd be glad to help with testing, or anything I can do.

jim wrote:

Hello. Radiatorman I asked you about polybar because I am also experimenting with Dwmblocks and Slstatus, this is also a status bar.

As for encryption, now you can try Luks1, here are my instructions => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=920, as for Luks2, you need to update the firmware in which GRUB LUKS2 support with argon2. Later, when I’m done, I’ll publish it, I’m currently repairing my PC.

I'll try testing it your way, and my way of whole disk encryption, because there are differences between our systems, I'll see what works. Good luck at repairing your pc.

Thank you .

How to test the instructions, write, if I wrote something unclear, also let me know, I will correct it so that it is convenient for other users to use the instructions.

jim wrote:

Btw, can you make two flavors of this guide?

With /boot encrypted

and without .boot encrypted

This does have my interest  big time.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Hello Zapper. Do you mean on T440 with LIbreboot?

As for the installation without an encrypted /boot partition, I have already written and checked => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=934

Or do you mean the latest build  20231107  of Libreboot?

57 (edited by radiatorman 2023-12-19 02:50:55)

jim wrote:

Thank you .

How to test the instructions, write, if I wrote something unclear, also let me know, I will correct it so that it is convenient for other users to use the instructions.

I'll do it later this week, I'm still getting the hang of hyperbola, although from what I've done already, most of my openbsd knowledge is much more useful here than what I know about linux. Other than suspending with xscreensaver (or slim), I got nearly everything working. If I figure out everything, I'll do some tests with your and my encryption methods / grub and mkinitcpio configs.

Also, it's kind of a bummer that lightDM isn't in the repos, and when trying to compile it, I got issues with PAM (which isn't in hyperbola to my knowledge). But I guess I can live with SLiM.

Yes, PAM and many other Linux-only and / or bloated frameworks are not available. Please have a look at the listing here: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … e_packages

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Well, I guess I won't be running lightDM then. BTW, has anyone tried building icecat? I have no issues with iceweasel-uxp for normal browsing, but for testing websites it wouldn't be bad to have icecat aswell.

jim wrote:

As for the installation without an encrypted /boot partition, I have already written and checked => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=934

No, libreboot as a whole.

X230, T430, T440p, etc...

radiatorman wrote:

Also, it's kind of a bummer that lightDM isn't in the repos, and when trying to compile it, I got issues with PAM (which isn't in hyperbola to my knowledge). But I guess I can live with SLiM.

I used to use console-tdm, but ever since learning how easy startx, I use that now. Its much easier than I would have thought.

zapper wrote:

I used to use console-tdm, but ever since learning how easy startx, I use that now. Its much easier than I would have thought.

I'm just used to using lightDM, mostly because of light-locker + xscreensaver for screen locking when suspending etc., I could also live with startx, but I'll probably just figure out another solution

Recommendation for testing websites also: bad-wolf as being part in our repositories.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

radiatorman wrote:
zapper wrote:

I'm just used to using lightDM, mostly because of light-locker + xscreensaver for screen locking when suspending etc., I could also live with startx, but I'll probably just figure out another solution

Hello. When I installed Hyperbola, just like you, I, like all 99% of users, spent time setting up and understanding what programs are there, which ones can be installed and which ones will eventually work, and it seems to me that this table should be on the first page of the wiki https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … e_packages , too a table with a supporting Desktop environment https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=434 so that a new user comes to the site to try a new distro and immediately understands that there are no specific programs, he should NOT understand this in the process as it takes a lot of time. And very often I saw users abandon the setting and install another distro for themselves, for example Parabola.

As for LightDM, if you plan to use a tiling manager, then you can use a key combination to lock the screen, having previously installed, for example, slock => https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/extra/x86_64/slock/

I also use startx, it’s very simple, you can write startx in

.bash_profile

at the end of the file and your server will automatically work, that is, you entered your username and password in TTY and then you see your desktop.

zapper wrote:
jim wrote:

No, libreboot as a whole.

X230, T430, T440p, etc...

Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.

Today there are two ROM options: one supports Luks1, here is my instruction on how I did it  => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=920, and Luks2 with encryption of the entire disk including the /boot partition, this is only possible with the latest version of ROM Libreboot =>  https://libreboot.org/news/argon2.html

My test PC is not the best example since it is necessary to damage BLOB objects that the T440 is fully operational.

T400 or T200 does not need this, you just download the firmware, then disassemble your PC once and then simply update.

Clear to state that everybdy is able to look around in the wiki and inform about Hyperbolas positions, its included paclages via the package-search and FAQs. All information are there and I don't see our task in carrying endless information behind everyone. If there are questions: Forum, e-mail or IRC. Everybody gets the same amount of attention and helping hand when possible. Hyperbola is also NOT only a desktop-meant system and minimalist out of its server-focus same way. When we state the focus to recommend window-managers and software including the configuration, we draw the wrong focus.

We won't link any table / listing on the front-page as we think that people are themself able to inform and read.

throgh wrote:

Clear to state that everybdy is able to look around in the wiki and inform about Hyperbolas positions, its included paclages via the package-search and FAQs. All information are there and I don't see our task in carrying endless information behind everyone. If there are questions: Forum, e-mail or IRC. Everybody gets the same amount of attention and helping hand when possible. Hyperbola is also NOT only a desktop-meant system and minimalist out of its server-focus same way. When we state the focus to recommend window-managers and software including the configuration, we draw the wrong focus.

We won't link any table / listing on the front-page as we think that people are themself able to inform and read.

My message is just an observation and help, I would immediately direct the user to these important sections to understand the process of setting up their system. If the user configures the server through the terminal, then obviously this is an experienced user, he can figure it out himself if the wiki is made clear. But now I'm seeing a message like this: I tried openbox, bspwm and lumina, none of them could start etc

You decide for yourself how it should be, I repeat these are just my observations as a user.

IRC requires registration, for example XMPP does not require any user data.

When you look through the forums, you will immediately find several more threads with several more issues, problems and callout for help. All of them were answered and many of them needed not only one answer. There were also uncountable wishes for packages, changes and also restructuring. I have tried to get all, get all help and I was never really able to make it right for everybody, because this is impossible to do. So the conclusion for me speaking is that reading through and guiding to the information is the best way doing at any time. Posting the links then and help in details. As the message you have highlighted and marked bold was out of a concrete reasoning to be seen here in the thread. This was now again different reasoning as the others I have mentioned. So it would have not helped when linking the listings.

You have no need to create any user-account for IRC at this moment. And XMPP needs a server to setup, while we have pointed out that we even need to reduce. Sorry, but we cannot do more than now and I think we do the most possible.

throgh wrote:

When you look through the forums, you will immediately find several more threads with several more issues, problems and callout for help. All of them were answered and many of them needed not only one answer. There were also uncountable wishes for packages, changes and also restructuring. I have tried to get all, get all help and I was never really able to make it right for everybody, because this is impossible to do. So the conclusion for me speaking is that reading through and guiding to the information is the best way doing at any time. Posting the links then and help in details. As the message you have highlighted and marked bold was out of a concrete reasoning to be seen here in the thread. This was now again different reasoning as the others I have mentioned. So it would have not helped when linking the listings.

You have no need to create any user-account for IRC at this moment. And XMPP needs a server to setup, while we have pointed out that we even need to reduce. Sorry, but we cannot do more than now and I think we do the most possible.

You are absolutely right that the best way is to read, I agree with you, but I wrote about something else. I wrote about a systematic approach to reading. You don't read the book from the middle))

If what I'm talking about is written at the beginning, then there will be no messages like this https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php or Cant install any DE => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php ?id=913 ?id=941 because any experienced user or one who sets up a server will immediately understand what programs he can use to set up his system. Users simply do not expect that most of the programs they used before are missing, we simply help them and suggest them in this way! (It's my opinion )

Let other users who recently installed Hyperbola report their opinions on this matter, it will be fairer.

71 (edited by radiatorman 2023-12-19 14:27:08)

throgh wrote:

Recommendation for testing websites also: bad-wolf as being part in our repositories.

Hm, webkit based and its not epiphany, haven't heard of it before, I might try that.

radiatorman wrote:
jim wrote:

Hello. When I installed Hyperbola, just like you, I, like all 99% of users, spent time setting up and understanding what programs are there, which ones can be installed and which ones will eventually work, and it seems to me that this table should be on the first page of the wiki https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … e_packages , too a table with a supporting Desktop environment https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=434 so that a new user comes to the site to try a new distro and immediately understands that there are no specific programs, he should NOT understand this in the process as it takes a lot of time. And very often I saw users abandon the setting and install another distro for themselves, for example Parabola.

As for LightDM, if you plan to use a tiling manager, then you can use a key combination to lock the screen, having previously installed, for example, slock => https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/extra/x86_64/slock/

I also use startx, it’s very simple, you can write startx in

.bash_profile

at the end of the file and your server will automatically work, that is, you entered your username and password in TTY and then you see your desktop.

I'm sticking with bspwm and SLiM for a login manager, as I said before, I could live with startx, I've used it before, but I'm good for now. For locking I'm using alock, works pretty well, although there's no integration with xscreensaver on any of them, but I can live without that.

jim wrote:

You are absolutely right that the best way is to read, I agree with you, but I wrote about something else. I wrote about a systematic approach to reading. You don't read the book from the middle))

If what I'm talking about is written at the beginning, then there will be no messages like this https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php or Cant install any DE => https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php ?id=913 ?id=941 because any experienced user or one who sets up a server will immediately understand what programs he can use to set up his system. Users simply do not expect that most of the programs they used before are missing, we simply help them and suggest them in this way! (It's my opinion )

Let other users who recently installed Hyperbola report their opinions on this matter, it will be fairer.

jim wrote:

My message is just an observation and help, I would immediately direct the user to these important sections to understand the process of setting up their system. If the user configures the server through the terminal, then obviously this is an experienced user, he can figure it out himself if the wiki is made clear. But now I'm seeing a message like this: I tried openbox, bspwm and lumina, none of them could start etc

You decide for yourself how it should be, I repeat these are just my observations as a user.

IRC requires registration, for example XMPP does not require any user data.

I was expecting most packages to be missing, everything I'm saying about lightDM and other stuff is just me voicing what I'm thinking. I consider myself a "somewhat experienced" linux/bsd user, as I've ran openBSD and many linux distros for a long time at this point, and i still ran into unexplainable errors, like the one that you mentioned now, that only a reinstall could fix, and it didn't seem like a configuration error to me. It wasn't because a package was missing, or anything like that. I'm also guessing that most new users think that the current version of hyperbola is the same as the old one before 0.4, as I've ran into many posts about it before the switch. I also think a lot of people new to linux-libre distros just look at the FSF approved distributions list and think that "long term support simple distro based on arch" means everything will be like on arch, or other distributions similar to it

Sure thing that the description is telling another point and perspective than Hyperbola is for now. And also sure thing that to await reading the whole history here takes a lot of time. Nevertheless I stay strict on the point: Hyperbola is not made to be the common GNU/Linux-system. It is quite more near thought towards BSD- and original UNIX-context since version 0.3.x and 0.4.x even more now. For the description on the FSF-side we can perhaps do seomething - depending on the FSF also. But for other sites stating for example that "Hyperbola is another distribution without systemd" we cannot do anything.

Coming to the point "asking the users" or "let the users decide": When I go that way for coordinating, I do for sure nothing else for any amount of time, even for "eternity". Sorry, when this sound harsh, but I have already said it ... I did the most possible to hear all people out, discussed so many ways and tried to make it better. I cannot make it right for all here. It is not possible and so the best way stays: Having an issue, let's look for it. I have no other choice. Otherwise I can't finish my work on 0.4.4 also and would wait here for the next individual person asking for x or y. Or I would need again to explain why Hyperbola is missing package whatever. It is all here to read nevertheless, including my approaches for asking on help in the wiki, testing possible platforms for our web-infrastructure and more. When there is nothing in the reactions towards this, I cannot do more than I do now. smile

What I want to underline: I have to accept that there are points out of reach. If I contact all weblogs, possible videos whereever and more, I have lost time I would better use here to work on Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and the support. That's the point stating!

I very much respect that viewpoint, and focusing on the project itself first is a good idea. Help here on the forum, from my experience in this thread is great, and I'm glad you try helping everyone

throgh wrote:

Sorry, when this sound harsh, but I have already said it ... I did the most possible to hear all people out, discussed so many ways and tried to make it better. I cannot make it right for all here. It is not possible and so the best way stays: Having an issue, let's look for it. I have no other choice.

I don't think it sounds harsh, you're already doing plenty for new users, not everyone can be happy.

throgh wrote:

For the description on the FSF-side we can perhaps do seomething - depending on the FSF also. But for other sites stating for example that "Hyperbola is another distribution without systemd" we cannot do anything.

It'd be great if the description on at least the FSFs site could be changed, because I also went into hyperbola thinking it'll be mostly similar to linux with openBSDs X11 implementation, guessing from the description on that site. With everything else, I agree that it'd be a hassle.

I think we have something great further taken from the thread: Later we have the weekly information-meeting, if you want to join in IRC? I will take the point with so we can talk about another description for Hyperbola coming as soon as possible, so nobody has wrong impressions at minimum from the FSF-site. smile