Topic: Discussions about scanners and printers!

EDIT (throgh): The original posting is here. Thread was closed and split as it was overtaken with a complete different point.

The question is: Are you using Trisquel WITH GNU/Linux-libre kernel or with its default kernel? In its default Trisquel is NOT using GNU/Linux-libre and therefore I highly doubt that entry from h-node and its outcome. Perhaps I'm not right, but with the current information there is not much more to be done for the moment. You can perhaps also tryout to use a different software-package instead of simple-scan. If this is not working, we need to remove it.

But that point stands: Trisquel is not using GNU/Linux-libre so far and therefore is also not really comparable with other systems.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Discussions about scanners and printers!

Thank you for your reply.
The entry was made withi Trisquel's default kernel.
I tried Xsane, like you suggested and the outcome is the same, my scanner is not recognized.
The same happened with Trisquel though until I installed libsane.
I guess this scanner cannot function with hyperbola's kernel.

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

I booted with the latest gnuinos live iso (which has linux-libre kernel), installed simple-scan, sane and libsane. Restarted a couple of services and simple-scan did find my scanner (only when running it as root though).

I know that fixing it gives little value to hyperbola-bsd, but if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

Please remember that D-Bus is also a possible point as Hyperbola do not offer any Linux-only framework. Gnuinos is offering an own bus-implementation with ubus - as far I know. So this can be also a possible point, but I have no clue how to fix that. Same also for avahi: https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/libsane1

If sane and all the scanner-frameworks are only possible with that, we will surely remove that. Yes, a first harsh proposal, but without help I can't help or debug anything here. I have no scanner to test that.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Let me try, I have a printer-scanner.
What default programs need to be installed for the connection to occur correctly? Why am I asking this, because in other distros this happens automatically.

I don't think this will be solved with a printer-scanner as this a complete different combination. Thanks for the offer but this is to be solved different and would also take much longer time to explain all needed steps. The Epson Workforce DS-70 is also too expensive even second-hand beyond 100 EUR. Too much for a single test-station.

Just to make sure: You have started the service, nparafe?

doas rc-service saned start

Or otherwise:

doas rc-update add saned default

Also to clear up: With D-Bus not being part many convinience-functions are not available and so far I recommend to have a look under /etc/sane.d/ as there being examples and configurations on how to connect the devices. So after a further look now for some hours this is would be the point to follow. For the moment I'm not able to support here further. But it is clear that the connection is missing while the device is nevertheless there and connected so sane is perhaps not recognizing that device automatically and needs more manual intervention.

Please clarify, that is, in order for me to print or scan anything, I need to use a different distro?
And do I need to use 10-20 year old printers?

I don't understand why you need to use those strange comparisons and escalations, jim. Nobody has said that you need to use a different system or an "old printer" - besides I dislike that wording "old" because a system is never "old" just not that longer in a wide usage. And for the moment I don't see myself in need to clarify anything here. So I ask again to calm a bit down in the tone: I only said that D-Bus is very deep implemented and making too convinient while Hyperbola with the ground interest in common UNIX is therefore quite different and in need to more manual configuration.

You can try to install cups and see where this leads. But also you need to verify that your printer-scanner is supported by the kernel at minimum. From there you can surely configure further. Also: If you are not okay with using hardware being a bit more in the years Hyperbola is not the system for your interest. As said: Hardware should be as long in usage as even possible. Hardware will be never in any way minor damage for the environment, but we can do the best to mitigate its harm done.

jim wrote:

Let me try, I have a printer-scanner.
What default programs need to be installed for the connection to occur correctly? Why am I asking this, because in other distros this happens automatically.

What other distros does this work on. Maybe a PKGBUILD for Hyperbola can somehow be made if you check the dependencies in the "distros this happens automatically" to see what you may need for this one.

jim wrote:

Please clarify, that is, in order for me to print or scan anything, I need to use a different distro?
And do I need to use 10-20 year old printers?

I do not think you need to use another distro, though maybe you can make a PKGBUILD for Hyperbola, to change the code, if it does not work for you right now.

I do not know if printers that were made earlier need different code than more recently made ones. What printer-scanner are you trying to use, jim?

To clear that up: D-Bus is used for more and therefore other systems have therefore "convinience" while Hyperbola is not offering that.

Examples:

- no automatic configuration for the touchpad on notebooks
- no automatic scanner-detection and hardware is also not always given through further

The list goes on as D-Bus is sidewise not only a bloated and error-prone framework: It is also hiding parts giving the impression of "convinience" for other questionable results. And again also: If this is not okay, there are several other systems out there. We have no intention to add D-Bus back just for solving those points. I'm quite sure this can be done also different. Yes, this will take more time and configuration. But in the end every user has full control.

nparafe has asked for possible support and help, not for a discussion why "other systems offer that", jim. So if there is interest to solve or anyone has an idea? That helps for sure.

Hello Throgh

Please write a specific example!
How to connect a scanner?
How to trick a printer?
How to connect a combo (printer-scanner)
We need specific answers. I know that there is no D-bus, but this does not give a specific answer on how to connect and print. This is an important necessity, you can write a lot of text that is bad, but you need a specific guide.
Where can I see this on the wiki?

Again: You ask now for points I have no answers for the moment. Again also: I ask for solving that together instead to await a "ready-to-be-used" article in the wiki. You have just jumped over current steps and await from one person here an answer. And I see myself not in the position to give them alone. But I can explain that also: When you build packages and have no errors in running services so far like cups and / or saned, you do not see the need to solve any errors occurred. As there are now questions: Either we give answers and find answers together, or this one is not solved here and now. I underline: WE give the answer, not I write some text in the wiki.

So a possible way:

doas pacman -S cups sane
doas rc-service cupsd start
doas rc-service saned start

The problem here: Every printer is different, every scanner is different. The ideal way forward is that we can come to a solution for nparafe here. Including also a generic solution. If you demand further a wiki-article, then I say and write: That is NOT possible for me alone as every resulting article would be for only mine perspective. I don't have the concrete scanner mentioned from nparafe and I do not know what kind of printer-scanner-solution you have, jim. So I think it is reasonable to await that working together is the best solution and this means also trying out. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just to note also how many different possible variations and support-levels are there: https://sane-project.gitlab.io/website/ … ernal.html
And if you like, you can get access to the wiki also supporting the creation of a concrete article, jim. But if you await from me that I guess about possible solutions or do the whole work alone, than you should really question your own approach on that when asking "Where can I see this on the wiki?". Right question, yes, but at the wrong step and time: We are not at this point for the moment.

And so far: We can even solve sane as the scanner is found. So the next step is to enumerate why there is no connection established. Debugging and solving is not possible on my side here, jim. That can be only done on the side where those devices are connected.

Okay, I’ll explain my logic to you, it’s very simple. I, as a user, installed Hyperbola, I need to print a document or scan a document, I connect a printer or scanner via USB to my PC and I can’t do this as if I were using Debian, for example!

Ok, first of all I have to turn to the wiki, where it is indicated how to do this, what programs or drivers need to be installed in order
my printer or scanner is working. A wiki is a single document for everyone. Why should I wait a year for a user who has the same answer to answer me?
printer or scanner or, even worse, go through mistakes.

jim wrote:

Okay, I’ll explain my logic to you, it’s very simple. I, as a user, installed Hyperbola, I need to print a document or scan a document, I connect a printer or scanner via USB to my PC and I can’t do this as if I were using Debian, for example!

Ok, first of all I have to turn to the wiki, where it is indicated how to do this, what programs or drivers need to be installed in order
my printer or scanner is working. A wiki is a single document for everyone. Why should I wait a year for a user who has the same answer to answer me?

Maybe some users did not wish to have an auto detect printer-scanner with that program, so that may be why it does not work the same way, but if the wiki has information about "where it is indicated how to do this" what link did you find?

Seeing "A wiki is a single document for everyone." you than can likely update it if you think there are any mistakes.

jim wrote:

Sorry, but there are flaws within your logic, jim. Because you await again full-time support or a full included documentation.

I have proposed now a way forward and I'm again willing to support here and bring Hyperbola 0.4.5 (upcoming release) forward. But I have also said: Every printer is different and every scanner the same. We have now the situation that you have taken this thread and made it your own with your own demands while nparafes original point is gone, jim. That is NOT okay. We can bring and solve this for example when you support and try your own. Or at minimum leave the hardware of yours in usage.

But with demanding documentation without giving insights this thread is only endless pointing in whatever direction. I repeat my point again: YOU as member can support and help also. We can do this here together or you demand from me solving that for you. But that last point? I won't do. I'm surely going to test sane and cups, looking for errors and solutions for them. But this is for MY hardware then. Your logic is only from my current perspective that you await that others solve the points for you.

And please: Before you bring up again the point "pay for writing wiki" ... most of the money donated goes for HyperbolaBSD and its development, rest for infrastructure. So you are talking here with a person (me) doing all parts surely with passion given in the free time and I think it is a bare minimum to await working together. Even if you would talk with someone paid: It is respectful working together. When you await that someone is solving your issues while you just need to report, then sorry but this is not working as I need to adjust same as you and everyone else, solving issues together and cheer up when we solved them. We do free, libre software out of passion and working together. For that exact reasoning Hyperbola has its rulesets and social contract. wink

There are no flaws in my logic on this issue, since it was not me who invented the Hyperbola!

For example, I came up with or developed some kind of product that should be used not only by me and my developer friends, but by any user. Personally, I think out of respect for my users I am obliged to make a detailed guide or wiki so that those who
interested or wants to use this product, you can configure, install, use and understand how it works!

As for your opinion about nparafe, I’m also a user who has a printer and scanner that should work and I’m asking a question on this topic - setting up a printer/scanner, since there is no information on this issue either in the wiki or here or on the forum .
I am sure that if nparafe has a question about setting up its equipment, he will ask in this topic.

I don’t understand the logic when someone developed their product and tells users, let’s set it up together??????

Regarding the cost of developing a wiki. You have already said many times that all your efforts are aimed at developing HyperbolaBSD, this is great, thank you for your work, I want to ask you since many people left the Hyperbola project, as you yourself wrote about it, where on the site you wrote:

Dear friends!

Our project is looking for a developer or several developers to help us write a wiki within 2-6 months!
Write to...@hyperbola...

You give them a technical task and they work. Why ask an ordinary user who may not know any languages and just wants to use Hyperbola to create something together, this should be done by a professional! Maybe you’re trying to save money this way, but in my opinion, with this approach, there won’t be a wiki for another 10 years! If there was a ready-made wiki and you would invite users to correct something and test it together, it would be logical.

And now the whole thread is yours, jim. You have successfully engaged here and reverted the original intention of nparafe. Congratulations: It was a request for help and now you have overtaken and overwritten this with several aspects including also demanding things you have really no insights into and being completely different. I don't understand your approach you are doing here, really. And I will now do the following after responding your posting:

I will split nparafes original posting into a new thread, closing this one. Now for your answer:

jim wrote:

There are no flaws in my logic on this issue, since it was not me who invented the Hyperbola!

For example, I came up with or developed some kind of product that should be used not only by me and my developer friends, but by any user. Personally, I think out of respect for my users I am obliged to make a detailed guide or wiki so that those who
interested or wants to use this product, you can configure, install, use and understand how it works!

As for your opinion about nparafe, I’m also a user who has a printer and scanner that should work and I’m asking a question on this topic - setting up a printer/scanner, since there is no information on this issue either in the wiki or here or on the forum .
I am sure that if nparafe has a question about setting up its equipment, he will ask in this topic.

Again, jim: The question of nparafe was overwritten by you with a complete different approach. It is common point of free, libre software that questions are there. It is also common to document them. But it is also common to test together. So the line between user and developer is very thin, sometimes both are the same person. That can be a disadvantage, most it is an advantage so we can help each other. When you create an issue - anywhere - you are asked about clear information and people need your actions to investigate issues. But you are NOT helping with demanding, in fact you are even doing more problems as small projects are designed from within the community, you are part, so you are also either working with or not working with. Not working with in such threads not helping, jim. Clear and straight!

jim wrote:

I don’t understand the logic when someone developed their product and tells users, let’s set it up together??????

Regarding the cost of developing a wiki. You have already said many times that all your efforts are aimed at developing HyperbolaBSD, this is great, thank you for your work, I want to ask you since many people left the Hyperbola project, as you yourself wrote about it, where on the site you wrote:

Dear friends!

Our project is looking for a developer or several developers to help us write a wiki within 2-6 months!
Write to...@hyperbola...

You give them a technical task and they work. Why ask an ordinary user who may not know any languages and just wants to use Hyperbola to create something together, this should be done by a professional! Maybe you’re trying to save money this way, but in my opinion, with this approach, there won’t be a wiki for another 10 years! If there was a ready-made wiki and you would invite users to correct something and test it together, it would be logical.

Do you really think of the outcome when doing this? I doubt that, because for asking to pay people you also need the money to pay every single person and this something we do not have. Should I now call again what you alone demanded as one single user and what amount of time I invested just to search the information helping you? That's not how free, libre software is working. You want a "product", jim. But Hyperbola is defining itself more in another region, since its first day even. Yes, it can be used in any context but it is foremost free, libre software. It was and is born out of altruistic motivation and every single person have given time and engagement. The people have left out of different reasoning, most of as loosing interest or no longer reporting back. So what do you do then? Especially when you have given money. Good question and the answer is: You can't do anything about that. Your demands are illusions, jim. You have just an image and think this is working, but sorry: That's not the reality.

I don't see any more points to go on with the discussion, jim. I close this thread now as you have really no intention in discussions. You have not even posted your printer-scanner-combination. For me underlining that there was never any intention of you to help or support. You just await something and I just do not understand your intentions. Just giving you mine: I would not engage here if I would not have that interest in free, libre software and helping people. But for helping, I need information. Not giving those information is ... not helping. Easy, clear, fair and straight. And please: If you engage now in the other original thread, jim ... do it with information possible. Not with meta-discussions being like "dreamcastles". If you want something like a "big project", use those. Hyperbola is NO "big project", never meant to be.

Thread closed and forking. Sorry, nparafe: I will act as said and redo that: This thread has gone off-topic into a "meta-discussion" (again to be noted as you, jim, just want to question every single step and want to drive into a direction not working like with Hyperbola). And to be honest clear: In most other forums your argumentation would have lead to even more harsh reactions, jim. We have another approach here and I have no issue with having these debates most the time. But those are not helping in this so I close this thread.