Topic: Missing Programs on Install ISO

Hi,

I'm attempting to install Hyperbola on my librebooted x200 (not sure if that's of any importance here). I wiped my drive clean via the dd command and I'm following the guide to setup full disk encryption alongside my install. The problem is that many of the commands in the installation guide don't seem to be present on my live iso (I made the bootable usb with dd as well if that's of any importance). I'm not the most advanced linux user but I can at least follow guides/manuals. The commands cryptsetup and cfdisk are the two missing commands holding me back at the moment, and I tried to load the "md-mod" module but checking with "lsmod | grep md-mod" found nothing, which I'm sure is why cryptsetup won't work, but I don't think md-mod holds cfdisk (could be wrong).

I've tried the "modprobe md-mod" command multiple times, and still nothing. I then tried again after replacing "md-mod" with "md_mod" and the module loaded, but cryptsetup still is unrecognized as a command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at bit of a standstill with my installation until I can figure this out, hopefully it's not an obvious reason I'm overlooking smile.

2 (edited by dikasp2 2020-05-11 05:50:01)

Re: Missing Programs on Install ISO

hi! glad to see new libre user these days, lets see if i can help

the loooong theory

1. maybe try check your live image / .iso file integrity ?
unstable connection when downloading may broke the file https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … ive_images
2. there is also possibilities of your drive / cd installation medium error, broken cable, broken usb etc...
maybe trying another usb or cd ?
3.maybe you mislead when following a manual or typing wrong code
ensure all codes you type executed succesfully and dont return any error
4.easiest way is to test install your installation iso to virtual machine (gnome-boxes,qemu,etc...)
this requires downloading some packages and a bit tinkering tough

super plain english
im installed and running v3.0.1 just fine so im suspect the downloable iso is fine
ensure you follow everything rightfully and you eventually discover your error tongue

dikasp2 wrote:

hi! glad to see new libre user these days, lets see if i can help

the loooong theory

1. maybe try check your live image / .iso file integrity ?
unstable connection when downloading may broke the file https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … ive_images
2. there is also possibilities of your drive / cd installation medium error, broken cable, broken usb etc...
maybe trying another usb or cd ?
3.maybe you mislead when following a manual or typing wrong code
ensure all codes you type executed succesfully and dont return any error
4.easiest way is to test install your installation iso to virtual machine (gnome-boxes,qemu,etc...)
this requires downloading some packages and a bit tinkering tough

super plain english
im installed and running v3.0.1 just fine so im suspect the downloable iso is fine
ensure you follow everything rightfully and you eventually discover your error tongue

Thanks for your quick response, it seems it was the USB that was the issue, which is odd because I used in just before to install trisquel. I now have another odd issue, not sure if you can help but figured I'd give it a try. I successfully installed hyperbola on my laptop, and I am able to boot into the main OS. However, I am unable to login with root and the password I set for root. I've installed the os twice, because the first time I figured I must've mistyped roots passwd (twice?) while setting it. The second time I was very careful and know for a fact that the password I set is the password I am entering, however it does not work.

Any help or ideas as to what is causing this would be appreciated smile

4 (edited by dikasp2 2020-05-12 00:41:53)

no worries im happy to help on my free time
its okay if you a learner, everyone start from newbies too
eventually someday you can be skilled enough to solve problem yourself
and even being able to give advice to other people so keep learning smile

as usual the loooong theory

[you@chroot-terminal ~]$ passwd root
New password: 
Retype new password: 
passwd: password updated successfully
[you@chroot-terminal ~]$

a succesfull setup of root password would be like that one
be sure that password is updated successfully on the end line

this is some possibilities of error you may had done
1.you dont use standard keyboard layout some key may have swaped
2.you forgot the caps lock key is turned on so the password you enter capitalized
3.some of your keyboard key is unresponsive or broken

2 lines answer
boot back your live usb, mount your previously installed drive, chroot again, set password again
this time be sure to test type your password on the clear terminal so you can be sure the phrase is correct smile