1 (edited by throgh 2021-04-13 00:36:10)

Topic: Better communication with community?

Hello together,

I'd like to have the question noted on how to improve the communication strategy behind Hyperbola as project itself. I just recognized that the support-staff had more members: https://www.hyperbola.info/members/support-staff/
Is this nothing to write some news-entry about? And what is this here: https://www.asle.ec/entrevistas-hyperbolabsd/

Could you please give some more insights on what is going on and what is needed perhaps? I think free software-projects should be also transparent what is up next. smile
It would be also interesting to have more knowledge about some roles: For example there is "investor" named now on the site of the support-staff mentioned. What is the meaning exactly in the context of Hyperbola / HyperbolaBSD? How much influence is this going to have towards the project? An "investor" is not that kind of positive in my personal point of view, so I think better to ask and that's my point for communication with the community behind Hyperbola.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by throgh 2021-04-13 00:55:11)

Re: Better communication with community?

Don't get me wrong: I'd like to have Hyperbola / HyperbolaBSD being free and independent, being built with open and transparency in mind, so everyone can use, include and build on top of that. Therefore my thoughts and questions at this point as the last entry is dated back more than a year ago. What was absolutely cool to have more insights with the TODO-lists for example, but since everything was reworked those are no longer functional and therefore more or less of no further usage for now. Also the spreadsheet with wished software-packages for 0.4-release is a great idea, but how far is the progress and what is needed next? Getting multilib-support for 0.4? Or is this something to rely onto the community and therefore building an own repository-database as proposal? Hey, there is much possible, but with better communication this can be done even more faster, just my proprosal so far.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thank you very much for your post, throgh.  I am not in charge of HyperbolaBSD, so I will just comment about my participation on this issue.

I asked Emulatorman to help me with involvement of university students in hacking HyperbolaBSD.  My idea was to help these volunteers learn and to help Hyperbola speed up development.

You can see the process is transparent and is entirely a community work in the link you posted from Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE.  (I did make it more orderly for easy of use, during the last few hours.)

My user was created (as of all the rest of the new volunteers) with the information that each one sent.  I put myself with occupation as investor as a pun on getting others invested with new powers.  But now that I saw your comment, it does not look as such a good idea.  I am an anarchist.  I am against capitalism to the extent that I can do it practically.  I am developing techniques for autonomy on housing, water harvesting and energy generation for the service of the community.  I have not published because of lack of a structure.  But I hope I will, if I can get some other people to help.  One example of my latest work is this water pump which works with just with running water by using just pipes.  It does not need electricity. http://0x0.st/-TB9.JPG

Everyone is welcome to come to #asle from monday to friday at 14h00 UTC-5. Please come and help us decide what to do on each step.

I usually avoid Javascript browsers.  But, in order to answer this post, I considered an exception.

throgh, our team of volunteers lacks of someone who could do the communication about our progress here and those tasks that you are requesting. Would you like do it for Hyperbola Project and become part of the new team? Please join in the ASLE's IRC channel (#asle) from Monday to Friday at 14h00 UTC-5.

throgh wrote:

I'd like to have the question noted on how to improve the communication strategy behind Hyperbola as project itself. I just recognized that the support-staff had more members: https://www.hyperbola.info/members/support-staff/
Is this nothing to write some news-entry about? And what is this here: https://www.asle.ec/entrevistas-hyperbolabsd/

Could you please give some more insights on what is going on and what is needed perhaps? I think free software-projects should be also transparent what is up next. smile
It would be also interesting to have more knowledge about some roles: For example there is "investor" named now on the site of the support-staff mentioned. What is the meaning exactly in the context of Hyperbola / HyperbolaBSD? How much influence is this going to have towards the project? An "investor" is not that kind of positive in my personal point of view, so I think better to ask and that's my point for communication with the community behind Hyperbola.

+1 . Super offensive. No announcement on any of Hyperbola's channels! People who one has never heard of on this forum were invited!

6 (edited by throgh 2021-04-13 15:57:12)

Thanks for the answers. First things first: I just want to help the project and the people behind as I think Hyperbola is so much more and near to my understanding of free software / free culture. Therefore my criticism as deeply respect and callout for help. To build a kernel, userland for BSD and also a distribution for Linux-libre is very hard, with much time needed. To help having Hyperbola being transparent is so much more important. That's not meant as "failure" from my side, just an invitation for thoughts and points also here in the thread: Building something needs a workflow, a toolkit and everything is here. But don't left the group of developers and supportes just alone, don't leave the community alone with names and people unknown. This is not meant as being "intentionally", just meant: Let's talk with each other.

Please join in the ASLE's IRC channel (#asle) from Monday to Friday at 14h00 UTC-5.

Thank you and I will follow this invitation. smile
So I think the community itself can be just so much helpful: Not only as users, with nothing to say. You all have to say something, to help this incredible project. Let's build this together!

sagaracharya wrote:
throgh wrote:

+1 . Super offensive. No announcement on any of Hyperbola's channels! People who one has never heard of on this forum were invited!

Since a long time ago, Hyperbola was being maintained only for 4 members for 2 huge projects (Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and HyperbolaBSD)! In fact, we haven't enough man power to do a lot of things of the same time!

Even, it began recently and i hadn't time to make an announcement about it because i'm working around 20 hours daily between Hyperbola, studying and working to sustain my family while i'm resting just 4 hours. We lack of members who could make our announcements, news and also we need man power who could helping to bring more volunteers to increase our team and speed up the development of HyperbolaBSD and Milky Way v0.4.

Recently, an invitation came from a NGO called ASLE (Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador) by their president called Quiliro to bring more volunteers from Ecuadorian universities around the country, because we didn't received new volunteers in our official announcement for our new HyperbolaBSD development team, and for that reason it's being made in #asle to prepare and help them understand the basic concepts of free software and licenses to then bring them to our main environment with a clear concept of our philosophy,

If you consider offensive our lack of transparency, then help us to spread all related to our current progress in our environment by joining our team. It's so needed for us for the main goal of Hyperbola Project and our community. You don't need be a developer or expert of TI for that, since there are good volunteers here who could do better things than us, like the communication.

throgh wrote:

Thanks for the answers. First things first: I just want to help the project and the people behind as I think Hyperbola is so much more and near to my understanding of free software / free culture. Therefore my criticism as deeply respect and callout for help. To build a kernel, userland for BSD and also a distribution for Linux-libre is very hard, with much time needed. To help having Hyperbola being transparent is so much more important. That's not meant as "failure" from my side, just an invitation for thoughts and points also here in the thread: Building something needs a workflow, a toolkit and everything is here. But don't left the group of developers and supportes just alone, don't leave the community alone with names and people unknown. This is not meant as being "intentionally", just meant: Let's talk with each other.

Please join in the ASLE's IRC channel (#asle) from Monday to Friday at 14h00 UTC-5.

Thank you and I will follow this invitation. smile
So I think the community itself can be just so much helpful: Not only as users, with nothing to say. You all have to say something, to help this incredible project. Let's build this together!

Thank you for your time throgh, it will be so important for us, not just to spread info and invitations here or for our lacking of time, but helping those students who never heard about free software and licenses concepts. It's making so hard for us to create a new team, but you could make more easy and possible by joining our official team and doing those tasks such as the communication and another important similar things where we developers aren't good doing it.

You have a 4 member team not because of lack of contributors. It's because you drive the people who want to contribute away from hyperbola. And you did it again by not inviting people like throgh to this irc meet. There have been people who are interested in Hyperbola and you don't reply to them, or give them guidelines on how to contribute.

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=140

Nothing wrong in asking ASLE to contribute but atleast accept people who naturally come to Hyperbola?!

10 (edited by throgh 2021-04-13 18:10:05)

Valid point, so I'd propose to keep the "balance of trust": sagaracharya made that clear.
Besides: I'm also developer, but perhaps also within other parts engaged. That doesn't mean this is in some way "better", it's just the way to start with more transparent communication as I've learned this is an elementary part for a project: The "balance of trust" means having information collected for everybody of one community to read. The other way is loosing the connection and that's my point as I know how this feels and looks like: Loosing the connection to others. We have seen this, seeing this now and I think the invitation should be part for every member of the community. Therefore my sentence towards all here, everyone included. It's by beings for beings and there are many possibilities! Of course I'll follow the invitation, but just to note: I'll want to carry the information back into here. It would be also interesting to have more information about the upcoming work on HyperbolaBSD, the students to learn. I think especially here everyone, every member can come up with own motivations as sagaracharya noted.

The essential question: Why coming to Hyperbola? Why using HyperbolaBSD? It's not about technical issues, there are people here having so much more. But I cannot be a spokesperson for all and I don't want to be standing upon others, because I would be part of a ranking and I cannot speak for others, just giving insights and views. Sometimes my words and sentences even sound like a paraphrased utopia coming up from the essential whish, so I understand even everybody calling me an "illusionist". Therefore my proposal: Making some protocols, some notes about the rounds. Perhaps there are also people being more motivated? Empowering users freedom and knowledge. Having everyone in some developer, diplomatic and also scientist for alternatives alike, to keep free, libre software on a course. Learning here, to learn with others and giving knowledge.

quiliro wrote:

Thank you very much for your post, throgh.  I am not in charge of HyperbolaBSD, so I will just comment about my participation on this issue.

I asked Emulatorman to help me with involvement of university students in hacking HyperbolaBSD.  My idea was to help these volunteers learn and to help Hyperbola speed up development.

You can see the process is transparent and is entirely a community work in the link you posted from Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE.  (I did make it more orderly for easy of use, during the last few hours.)

My user was created (as of all the rest of the new volunteers) with the information that each one sent.  I put myself with occupation as investor as a pun on getting others invested with new powers.  But now that I saw your comment, it does not look as such a good idea.  I am an anarchist.  I am against capitalism to the extent that I can do it practically.  I am developing techniques for autonomy on housing, water harvesting and energy generation for the service of the community.  I have not published because of lack of a structure.  But I hope I will, if I can get some other people to help.  One example of my latest work is this water pump which works with just with running water by using just pipes.  It does not need electricity. http://0x0.st/-TB9.JPG

Everyone is welcome to come to #asle from monday to friday at 14h00 UTC-5. Please come and help us decide what to do on each step.

I usually avoid Javascript browsers.  But, in order to answer this post, I considered an exception.

Thanks for the mentioning. May I propose something at this point? Perhaps giving students insights into especially free, libre software it would be interesting having all of the individuals being here part into the forums - nothing enforced and everybody coming here with free motivation, of course. Having all the participants being part into the development and the community would be a new part of communication. Just my experience: Learning more from the environment, from people being part of one community itself. I see Hyperbola as part of something more greater: The possibility of technical emancipation, giving users back the possibility to be in absolute control. I'm curious to have more people here giving ideas and motivations. wink

But to summarize: I think the invitation can be seen for everyone interested learning more for development? This would a great news-entry for the forum, by the way. wink

13 (edited by throgh 2021-04-13 18:56:57)

As I've opened this thread I see this as my personal responsibility to give also information about. The link was changed and there are more information about the engagement: https://www.asle.ec/entrevistas-hyperbolabsd/

Getting more transparent is one important thing. Please share also your points here for questions and annotations!

As also said in the IRC: I'll give some more notes here in this thread, coming back from the talk later on. Therefore I summarize the concurrent points, but I can also say that the last sessions had interesting information as the team is building up to get HyperbolaBSD up and running in development. Thumbs up so far and I see the need to have more communication also here in the forum. Of course everybody interested can join, discuss and ask, being critical!

Well, here you go: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=525

Well, that's a proper announcement. It should come from one of the founders though ideally.

Thanks for having me in Hyperbola Team.

Regarding important events, each member of the Hyperbola community (as seen in Founders, Devs, Support Staff, Security Team, Artists and Member fellows) should get a mail, preferably signed by one of founders. This will ensure politics stays away and each person would be able to give his thoughts if needed.

This does not mean there's democracy and everyone will get 1 vote in the decisions. Founders can override the concensus if they feel so. But people should know the important things. Each and every person.

Responsibilities should be clearly assigned so accountability can be checked in future. In communities, "do as you wish" attitude is the one which makes efficiency worse. Ask relevant people whether they would do a certain task and if they say yes, assign them on it and ask for accountability.

17 (edited by zapper 2021-10-07 12:18:32)

Quick note Sagar, I tried to add your tox ID from your profile, but I begin to wonder, if you noticed I even added it.  I hope its okay if I try to contact you via xmpp to get your actual tox id.

Alright? smile

My username has legends in it, the one I am using, so you recognize it.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!