1 (edited by the_hype 2020-11-06 09:01:54)

Topic: hyperbola first install experience

i am quite impressed by hyperbola!

it looks nice , package selection is great (some are quite old though - but that's the price of debian-stability wink )
((as for request for newer packages i would like a newer cryptsetup - the rest is (mostly) fine for me))

also the blacklist is great.

the installation was straight forward, but the wifi connection failed because the was no

nohook wpa_supplicant

in the dhcpcd.conf (or the dhcpcd-hook clobbers the wpa_supplicant config from before)

also i would like to mention that the dhcpcd-config leads to many data leaks, (vendoridclass is really bad - it sends os, kernel version etc.)
i guess the dhcpcd.conf is the vanilla one, but a commented line like this could be useful:

#uncomment this for a more privacy aware behaviour
#nooption 4 7 14 17 19 20 21 27 40 41 42 69 70 71 72 73 75 76
#nohook hostname

there is a package called dhcpcd_hardened (which calls /usr/libexec/dhcpcd/dhcpcd_hardened.sh
) to achieve this, but it seems really broken to me and i cannot recommend it, because it does tihs:

#!/bin/sh
# This script wipes hostname and DUID so that DHCP can't send it over the network
echo 'hostname="localhost"' > /etc/conf.d/hostname
# Properly sets our new host in /etc/hosts file
sed -i '/127.0.0.1/c\127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost 'localhost'' /etc/hosts
# Avoids need to reboot before showing our new hostname in terminals, etc
hostname localhost
# Delete DUID
rm -rf /etc/dhcpcd.duid

for avoiding DUID dhcpcd.conf tells us (send MAC-adress clientdid)

clientid
# Some non-RFC compliant DHCP servers do not reply with this set.
# In this case, comment out duid and enable clientid above.
#duid

thx and have a nice day!

Re: hyperbola first install experience

very usefull

im usually cheating with usb tethering connection to bypass all the fuss for first time install tough

Thanks for the insights about dhcpcd and the configuration! big_smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

clientid
#duid

i think sending nothing by deleting dhcpcd.duid is better than sending MAC-adress clientid, correct me if im wrong!

rachad wrote:

clientid
#duid

i think sending nothing by deleting dhcpcd.duid is better than sending MAC-adress clientid, correct me if im wrong!

Commenting it out I believe disables it also.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!