Re: Support for development of packages and applications in Hyperbola 0.4

Sure. Do add. Check the ID on my forum profile page. The one of dev page is old and you won't find me there.

For the next commit there will be first some more libraries being needed for libreoffice and netsurf, second soundbraid as first mixer-application in relation towards sndio as our major sound-server, third some further adjustments and patches for transmission with also some further applications to be added and fourth the newest scummvm being fresh released in version 2.5.0. Here you can read about that and there are for sure some reasonings to refresh the emulation-pipeline: https://www.scummvm.org/news/20211009/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

For the next commit there will be first some more libraries being needed for libreoffice and netsurf, second soundbraid as first mixer-application in relation towards sndio as our major sound-server, third some further adjustments and patches for transmission with also some further applications to be added and fourth the newest scummvm being fresh released in version 2.5.0. Here you can read about that and there are for sure some reasonings to refresh the emulation-pipeline: https://www.scummvm.org/news/20211009/

Would soundbraid take a long time to add? I ask, because, I wouldn't think it would.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

The package soundbraid will be part of the next commit today. smile

EDIT: Could be also tomorrow. sad Sorry: I have to go through again with librechroot before commit. The reasoning is easy: I want a clear compilation, so I control first all checked in libraries first again double.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Next to come on building is hplip but especially this needs also more packages, so it will be some more time for me. But will be done soon! About libreoffice after netsurf got a commit now: This will be also done as soon as possible.

We need further help implementing libvirt as API for controlling virtualization engines. You can find the earlier package here in the stable-repositories: https://mirror.fsf.org/hyperbola/gnu-pl … hyperbola/

Help means here: At best the needed dependencies. So I'm going to start on with libcmis as it has with docbook2x a needed dependency for lxc. wink

This means also that libreoffice won't be part for the next commit: First libcmis has to be added and with it more or less some dependencies needed.

107 (edited by HarvettFox96 2021-10-26 12:10:07)

Thankfully, OpenBSD excluded dependency Ceph, so libvirt disables RBD storage support flag ("storage_rbd=disabled") automatically. Right?

In this actual distro, do y'have a reason why Ceph has too many dependencies?

Well speaking about ceph is quite a specific topic itself as the package has for sure many package-dependencies. More of a problem is also the java-runtime needed and being mandatory.

Testing (hopefully) the last compile before finally doing a commit for libreoffice. Besides that included are more needed libraries and common unix-frameworks, helpers and utilities. But also Search and Rescue 2 as another little, nice and libre game concentrated on flying, helicopters and rescue-missions. Here to find more: https://searchandrescue2.github.io/sar2/#about

There will be also a browser-application with kristall focussed onto Gemini.

Thanks to HarvettFox96 for the work! This was made possible through the community. smile

With binaries for libreoffice-package now added, here is the concurrent state of the TODO-list: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … ackages.md

The package blender would be then also possible as next point on the list, leaving the last entries:

virt-manager (or aqemu) with libvirt
0ad

111 (edited by HarvettFox96 2021-10-27 11:07:18)

And the next one for libvirt, GlusterFS. Is it necessary to be included in the actual distro? OpenBSD excluded it as well.

Since we have qemu, but the GlusterFS not as dependency (for make-dependencies): I'd say we should do the same. smile

113 (edited by zapper 2021-11-06 23:26:31)

Just a small question, how do you use the gui of links?

I just wondered is all...

I wanted to try out links in graphical mode, but can't seem to get it running... sad

edit: seems its xlink command instead of links, nevermind...  no worries, it works.

Yes "xlinks" is the command and part of the whole application. smile

We will finish libreoffice with its translations and blender first now. Afterwards Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4 is going into debugging for having a stable distribution. So more or less the following two packages can only be added later:

virt-manager
0ad

For sure some of us awaited them. But be sure: We are onto packaging as it is better having a stable system instead of too many features having so much complexity. There is more to come, but our major priority is 0.4 and its stable release. With the TODO-list being now as much complete as possible we will go for solving issues and leave the rest for later.

throgh wrote:

We will finish libreoffice with its translations and blender first now. Afterwards Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4 is going into debugging for having a stable distribution. So more or less the following two packages can only be added later:

virt-manager
0ad

For sure some of us awaited them. But be sure: We are onto packaging as it is better having a stable system instead of too many features having so much complexity. There is more to come, but our major priority is 0.4 and its stable release. With the TODO-list being now as much complete as possible we will go for solving issues and leave the rest for later.

I did find an error with claws-mail, loading spamassassin plugin within claws-mail causes the app to freeze when you go to preferences to make changes on it.

You can try it for yourself and you will see this truth quickly.

Aside from that and runit support not being complete or needing more documentation, etc...

I find this 0.4 install to be awesome.

Keep it up!

smile

claws-mail is going to receive a rebuild as bogofilter will also come and spamassassin is finished. So until the version is ready I think the behaviour is clear because the application was not built on top of spamassassin. Just have a look into the PKGBUILD here: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … l/PKGBUILD

In depth to say: There is no plugin available for now with the version available. And when you have used older PKGBUILD from 0.3.x this can cause more problems with dependencies missing.

Good news for audio-enthusiasts out there: mpd and more has come to stay now and will be available as soon as possible. Included within are more updates also for claws-mail to support now the spamfilter-pipeline. Besides that we've got more: xenocara got intense updates within the last weeks and days, so the problems should be resolved. It would help if all interested could recheck that also with their local installations so we can get even nearer towards 0.4 BETA to come for an easy installation and approval. smile

Just to note as gcompris-qt will be available with the next commit. So we have also support for learning and education, for smaller and older ones. As known: The upcoming packaged version won't include automatic downloads and includes all needed content right away. So that will be quite bigger, but with conservation of data also. Happy to announce that as this package was especially one I had in mind for inclusion and was disappointed as there were problems with gettext-tiny. But we have found a way around! big_smile

After last commit working now onto xmms2 in combination with lxmusic to be added as lightweight and user-friendly audio-player (again as others before with support for GTK2 and GTK3).

121 (edited by zapper 2021-12-10 02:12:05)

Just thought I would mention, I made a few tweaks to mpv pkgbuild for my own purposes,

Also, I removed the --enable-alsa under:

waf configure --prefix=/usr

in a pkgbuild, it works for me when using sndio so far.

Edit: seems I forgot to mention, the other change was to remove alsa-utils from depends.

I don't see a purpose in having both, aka... smile

That's just easy to explain: You can for sure use only sndio. But there are enough packages and applications having problems as they are not ported towards sndio and therefore can make only usage of alsa itself. So in the end: A system like Hyperbola has to respect both. You can tweak for sure your own installation as Hyperbola is free software and free culture. But that's your own system, others have problems with that. Especially some games are included in that group. So the purpose for the system-base is clear and for sure everyone is invited to make use for own corrections as there is now a major difference: All source-base is available for all packages and there is no longer any kind of need to search elsewhere. smile

123 (edited by zapper 2021-12-10 17:32:51)

throgh wrote:

That's just easy to explain: You can for sure use only sndio. But there are enough packages and applications having problems as they are not ported towards sndio and therefore can make only usage of alsa itself. So in the end: A system like Hyperbola has to respect both. You can tweak for sure your own installation as Hyperbola is free software and free culture. But that's your own system, others have problems with that. Especially some games are included in that group. So the purpose for the system-base is clear and for sure everyone is invited to make use for own corrections as there is now a major difference: All source-base is available for all packages and there is no longer any kind of need to search elsewhere. smile

You may have a point, I rebooted my system and sound stopped working...

But after I reinstalled alsa-utils, sound worked again...

I don't understand it too well, because alsa-utils wasn't running.

So bizzare...

Heh...

Just watch the services running: When there is no alsasound running, there is also no alsa itself available. And it is therefore depending what kind of software you want to have sound for. A complete system only for sndiod? First looking nice, but that would be near impossible with many packages. Therefore to look careful at every part. You can also run sndiod and alsasound at the same time without combining throughout alsa-sndio itself. You then just need to look onto your local configuration, but sound would be there. In general as I've said: Watching the local processes running carefully and in detail. The situation about sndiod and alsasound is a bit different than pulseaudio, which itself is more a wrapper around many.

Besides: mpv has no interface for sndio itself and removed the corresponding parts for some time now: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/7236
If you remove alsa from mpv you remove also the support for audio completely.

The following applications will get a slight rework:

handbrake (and therefore handbrake-cli also)
lxtask