Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

There is no "Cancel Culture". There is "Culture". And that has enough issues as it is.
Stop repeating dogwhistles, stop trying to follow the tryout to reverse democratic discussions. Being believable means to recognize "Consequences Culture". You spread lies? Okay, we need a definitive discussion. That has nothing to do with "freedom of speech" or to "tolerate something". When someone is using his freedom to reduce the freedom and dignity of others, consequences are needed.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Being believable? Well, not about gaming under Linux (without GNU). More and more the "open-source"-excuse is getting used. The newest addition? The SDL-project, with here more to read about: https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-project-top-58563886

And please: No company grant support to free, libre software, because they think about emancipation. They think about benefits for the next possible integration into their own projects, without giving back anything. And that's the problem with "open-source": The cheap illusion of thinking to integrate capitalism with some kind of showing and sharing source-code. That will never work!

No, I don't blame the SDL-project itself. I just don't think this is the correct way. But why do we all think having companies integrated is the way to go? Just because of pragmatism? Think again: No market helps to regulate anything. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Everytime reading again those phrase like "think big with free software". And everytime again it is the same answer I have in my mind. But this time I'll try to write the answer down because I have enough reading those phrases again and again. You know what, you "big"-thinkers? Free software should not intended to "rule them all" or to "conquer", or for "world domination" as to read fresh from the KDE-front (https://pointieststick.com/2021/11/13/b … o-win-big/). Have you even understand WHY so many stories in literature have warned about that parts? And yes: The choice "rule them all" was a choice from me within this text, because there is a prominent story using that and it is for sure NOT a friendly one. You think "world domination" of free software brings us nearer towards freedom, privacy and security?

Think again: That won't happen. Just you are using some parts of free soft- and hardware, brings you nowhere. Not even near towards your wildest phantasies or imaginations. Understanding better is just some possible way: Reflecting ourselves every day and ask if it is okay doing someting. Not asking for permission in the first place, asking for approval of rational argumentation. Otherwise you will have again people making arguments like having some unfree services won't change anything. Okay? Steam, Netflix, YouTube and so many more. What has changed therefore? And then looking onto desktop-environments like KDE or Gnome. They have paid a price for being what they call "flexible". Is that the way?

To quote some interesting sentence from Nietzsche:

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Well, there is more to say especially about that phrase and sentence. It is not easy to use. But from the generic point: What do you think will become out of "free software" and the idea behind, when "world domination" is reached? The "free software" won't stay for sure that way we think it is for now. There will be a price to be paid. For pragmatism for example the integration of unfree services we now remove with much work here from packages for Hyperbola. Or do you think we do this just for the fun? Therefore to remember onto especially that point. In particular the mentioned "abyss" is a sort of monster, the monster of complete cynicism and true nihilism - the completely empty man without principles and values. You think this won't happen and "free software" will evolve? Perhaps? But until now you can see also the opposite: Companies like Purism on the rise with only illusions for sale and false promises. And projects like KDE with a stand in some way but more of the same on the other also. More of the known paradigm, just some "open-source" in the end and nothing more.

Personally I see the fight has been already lost for those environments and projects like Gnome and KDE, for projects like Blender also. Or do you think companies like Adobe grant financial support because of their interest within technical emancipation? Good joke then. wink
You want to "conquer"? Well, please do that only in your imaginations - and for the best keep it there. Think of "world domination"? You know that especially those words and phrases are the complete opposite of emancipation? You know WHY those imaginations being "allmighty" don't end good? Just have a look in the history as it tells us about archaic developments, because dominance is also about oppression. A quite fitting and good lesson: Copy known paradigm and you will become the same, the next unfree project then. Because the first thing to fall is the freedom of choice when you implement on the other hand ultimate flexibility and dream about your so-called "world domination", dear KDE. You can even learn that right now from the so-called "fediverse" and the corresponding implementations under that name. Perhaps a look onto "Diaspora"? Once an interesting project, but the search for MORE brought for sure that and just for the price of reflected discussions to leave and hatred going in. Look onto "Mastodon" or others. Same the way as those platforms live from the same souce the unfree services also at the same time. And you think you could do better, but at the same places as Microsoft, Apple and others? As I've said: Good joke as the more you think to fight against something, you can become that also.

The opposite way would be: Just don't copy only known parts. You think being in need for more than an INIT-system? A complete service-framework? And then? Being in need for a pragmatic approach for the desktop-communication? A network framework? Or just to use other ways being already there. Maybe they are not that kind of modern, not always pragmatic. But keep it free then and freedom of choice for the users. The best way would be: Hopefully this "desktop-dominant" Linux (without GNU) will NEVER happen. The more it is a system for masses the more it will need compromises to be done. I don't think big, I think about clear steps as principles and values are important.

Sidenote: Yes, I know, sharing that article above keeps getting attention for this. But attentions is not only working in one direction, you know? So the attention I want to make is the one being into the problems. So it is up to you, dear readers. And for sure: You can also disagree about my posting here. But time will tell us the direction and until now it shows a clear picture as more and more principles have already became only recommendations or even worse. And to get that clear: I don't compare KDE or Gnome to some monsters or monstrosities. If you think that's the case you should read again the whole work of Nietzsche and especially the book the quote was taken from. This is a clear metaphor as you have to pay in some way and the desktop-environments named here have made their choices long ago. There is always a chance they go for another way, but as growing bigger - and that's also the part of "dominance" - it will become even more complicated to change a course in a whole until it is irreversible.

And just to note: If you think a democratic society can uphold itself, you should read for sure more in history. There are enough people around having their own problems with democratic participation and wanting to exclude others not fitting in their perspective. You think it is your right to participate? Way too easy as all those parts were fought for, a major part of human history was about freedom and ways of living together. And you think now we have the best society of all times? Okay, think again as all people thought the same in history. But that's not what emancipation is all about. You think fascists have the right to participate also? Okay, get this clear: Fascism is an ideology of complete destruction. There is no other outcome. And get this also clear, please: Totalitarian systems CAN have fascism backgrounds, but also can exist without it. System based onto fascism ALWAYS have totalitarian backgrounds included and cannot exist without it. Learning the difference and learning also that antifascism is the duty within democratic participation. And it is not only an empty phrase as the word "Antifa" itself is of a meaning, but also a word. You think there is an agenda behind the word? Well, you have read for sure wrong-sided perspectives. Antifa is antifascism, nothing more and nothing less. wink

Being believable means also to question yourself, every time and every day again. Why this unbelievable hatred within the societies all over the world? Why antisemitism, sexism, ableism, racism, speciesism, classism and so much more? Why to move the own responsibility towards some outer world "beings"? God(s) made you do cruel deeds? Come on, no that's not true. We are all responsible on our own. We do cruel things, because we want that to happen. So better question that for sure and not start alone with pointing towards others. Emancipation is needed, in every part, if we ever want another vision and story to happen besides hatred and unbelievable cruelties in whatever name.

So-called "freedom activists" using unfree services like Twitter for their essential communication. But hey: They wish to use better ActivityPub-implementations, because ... well? Those platforms and networks enrich life and communication so much. How did we ever survived without the knowledge that someone else is bored and share some questionable meme-pictures? Come on, people: Please read again those postings and shared views. And afterwards tell me that this is only some abstract illusion or bad nightmare for sure. And what happens with the people not interested to participate with this absolute emotion-show, but want to support and help with tests? Oh nice, they don't even get to read more about release-schedules for example about Libreboot: https://nitter.namazso.eu/n4of7/status/ … 13648900#m

Because of what? Yes, Twitter to be used for central communication instead the project-page itself. wink
Okay, and then we create even more projects to circumvent and use unfree services like YouTube or make just a copy with so-called alternatives like "PeerTube". Internet is about sharing these days and please share more data as there is need for even more servers (bitter sarcasm included). You even recognize on how those so-called alternatives have done some part of vendor-lockins? And where is the difference? Oh how "cool" is that, a free platform, but to participate I have to create an account on Diaspora, Mastodon or whatever. And then what? Doing more or less the same as on Facebook, Twitter or whatever. How "cool", more absolute emphasized hatred, questionable imagery and more. But hey: Communication is key. With even that part I'd say "yes" as we need to communicate, but not only with our digital "alter ego" and play with that. A believable communication looks for sure different. And to say that somebody is not existing because nothing is to be found "online": What kind of dystopian perspective is this?

Nobody had a shout for YouTube once, but now many cannot even think not using it. And with all of those services the web is going down. But for that we have organizations like the FSF telling us about DRM. Yes, for sure is all a generic problem. But you see the point? How much cost and you never touch again those services or search for the next ultimate browser delivering all you want and be the multimedia-central? We play with fire and it is for sure getting out of control, long ago. We only react or copy known paradigms instead try absolutely NOT to go in that direction. But okay: Tell me more about enrichment for my life and making myself to some machinery only delivering data. In the end there is no difference if the service is free or unfree. With federated data for example you only need one instance sharing with others and getting the information. Oh you can block that, but what about the next 100 instances to come? Or the next 1000? What about the services becoming important enough so centralized platforms like Twitter implement also ActivityPub? Okay, again with blocking. But you should be aware that thoughts can be different and therefore you should be ready to also block every other instance NOT blocking Twitter for example. And I have not even mentioned that Diaspora has the APIs implemented and Mastodon has options for that. A brave new world awaits and we all can see that. But it is more about the visions from Aldous Huxley for example: The individual does not even count within that machinery, only data. You don't want to participate? No problem, at one point you will have to do that, because others have taken away your choice. No I'm not talking about some "evil groups", that's just imagination and non-existant: The "others" are just the other members of the global society itself. big_smile
But go further with copying the known, because it is "cool to like". Oh and before I forget this point: Many participants within those anti-social platforms (calling them "networks" or "social" is not fitting and a bad joke) think they read just some little notes and going to be experts in politics, pandemic, science in general and even more. True enrichment, isn't it? No, because just reading some article on the internet does not change anything. But hey: People tend to "communicate" everything there. Besides that's the reasoning I completely deny the usage for example of this "new" Libreboot. Just because of personal interests the democratic organization of that project was removed. And now what? A new release? The circle is closing here: No new release until now, but some kind of "testing" being near about "stable". As I've said with bitter sarcasm: Truely enrichment and while people go ahead with sharing daily routines, make fun with their political positions (which some can be called pure hatred also) our world is in flames. Go ahead, going to be warm, but not nice and comfy. roll

And what those "freedom-activists" want is nothing more than "domination of freedom": Sounds good? Perhaps, but the outcome is? For sure this sounds like emancipation. But then what? You think going tribal per definition is good? Not working together and instead everyone is the own little "ruling person" makes freedom ultimate? Think again, because you have a problem within this thought: The human nature itself. But okay, we can wait a little longer for the next Libreboot because there should be a PeerTube-instance (https://nitter.namazso.eu/n4of7/status/ … 63796992#m) and some Gitlab-instance also. And about those other projects? Ah well, the compiling works that great I can do it here with Hyperbola .. wait, wrong project. Compiling Libreboot is NOT working: No gettext, no sudo and many other parts missing. Yes, this could be fixed in some way. But what about other payloads like Tianacore? The download is not working correct. That's all part of the same: Instead telling the world some stories, we could focus. Instead of going for insane big dreams turning later for sure into nightmares, we should look out for peers sharing with. And then there is no matter if there is no stable release or not. Help and support for technical independent tryouts, coming back for group-working. When we look onto whole nations the proposed concept ends up with pure nationalism. As mentioned earlier here: Not nice and comfy warm, should we play again that bad game "mine is better than yours"? We all know what this is called onto the perspective of a nation: That's war. Cannot believe people go for this again and again, repeating history and thinking to make anything better.

Ah, before I forget that as this is also directly related towards some really strange insights: Please don't use the word "democracy" any longer, if you think this is just a word to be used for YOUR interests or some interests YOU identify with your nation, personality or whatever. Same reasoning: No, any kind of democratic discourse is not here to bring up only you or people you like the best living-conditions. Democracy is a value to be in discussions on every day. Especially when I read about politicians leaving some reasoned decisions being done just to get acceptance: You know that we don't come further all alone, but you react only egocentric. You are doing harm for all others as you just ignore every reasoning for climate, for peace, for health of beings. And you call that kind of ignorance "democratic"? Okay, think again. There are bunch of other words to describe that, but "democracy" is for sure not the one, demagogues! wink

What kind of literal crap neoliberalism is? You can see it on a daily base, especially now when people are forced to ignore all reasonable parts for solidarity and empathy as they need to keep their jobs. Otherwise companies will handle against them and that to say on a global base: No company is giving any kind of present just because they think to do something "good". For sure there is nothing evil to be found also, the problems are just quite deeper because we all are part of this system, of the capitalism. And the capitalism is just understanding one sentence: Make more money, just more.

That's the whole "magic" and reasoning in general. Yes, it is shortened by me for now but for this reasoning we go against everything within this pandemic and ignore all reasonable scientific aspects. For sure there is more, but I just describe now the generic meaning for people enforced to go outside with no possibility of more protection. And who is taking responsibility when those people are infected? Ending in hospitals? The politicians? The companies? The society? No one, just is the responsibility marked for "own part". How can any individual fight this pressure, just to protect others? In the end those individuals are even punished: Companies just do their parts, politics ignore their calls and society marks them being "strange" or "to frightened". And now what? We are not even near the ending of this situation and it is getting even worse. Everything is thrown away just because of the capitalistic viewpoints, everything is forgotten because of neoliberalism and science is ignored because of "freedom". We will pay a bitter price for all of that once as we are doing that even now! We are living lies and we are told lies when somebody notes nothing can happen in this concurrent situation. What is the reasoning for companies in general? Just to get money, there is no understatement for empathy or ethics. But society fails also to position against all that injustices. The best way we have is science and research, but even that we don't hear now and ignore all the cryouts worldwide for fair handles, for vaccinations and treatments. You have more money? No problem, you can get help, but please sign that paper before because of our "patents" and "copyright". Lifes are compared to that and considered in the end as not so "meaningful". sad

We call it other way today, but it is nothing more than plundering life and throwing away the rights of people. You think you can make any kind of "career"? Okay, nice illusions. Sorry, but reality looks a bit different, quite a bit. And for now to note also ending those dark thoughts: We need to turn back from that. Where is room and place to discuss other ways for democracy, empathy and solidarity for ALL beings? Just to make cutoff with all this greed for power and more. And for sure any kind of revolution also won't help, learning from history and not repeating it endless. With some hope for the future in any way.

throgh wrote:

Being believable means also to question yourself, every time and every day again. Why this unbelievable hatred within the societies all over the world? Why antisemitism, sexism, ableism, racism, speciesism, classism and so much more? Why to move the own responsibility towards some outer world "beings"? God(s) made you do cruel deeds? Come on, no that's not true. We are all responsible on our own. We do cruel things, because we want that to happen. So better question that for sure and not start alone with pointing towards others. Emancipation is needed, in every part, if we ever want another vision and story to happen besides hatred and unbelievable cruelties in whatever name.

When people try to be their own God, they only succeed in being a devil...

With all this evil in the world, in any of those forms, you can be sure, even if you don't think there is a God, that there most certainly is a devil out there pulling their strings hidden within the world...

But yes, we are responsible for not giving into him, thus if we fall for it, we are immensely guilty.

I yearn for this extremism to be corrected so badly right now.

I am sure it will happen to the people who are causing the problems eventually, but it ain't happening soon enough for me...

Meh...  just gotta do what I can do and leave the rest to my Lord and the rest of the world's good people who follow him indirectly or directly.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I think we can call that for sure fanatism and it is coming in various flavors. The major issue is that many people seems giving their responsibilities away, believing in some kind of weird theories. But that was always part of human history: The issue we are onto now is loosing democratic and humanistic values. But it would for sure lead to just other parts of the discussion on this point. I can state that I believe in the good handle and the same time about criticism. Are my actions leading to something even more problematic? And I should always have a look for others, because I'm for sure not important alone. All beings are important! smile

But we also have to recognize that it is very complicated to get over problematic views hardened for centuries. So at best: Some of us have more privileges, use them to protect others having them not. Perhaps a good starting point.

Everybody has to find the literal "moral compass". You think the phrase "eat the rich" is fitting? Okay, think about consequences and what can be made out of this. Yes, this whole thread is about fairness and empathy. Finding that in unfairness sounds quite strange, but this is not about that now. It is about protecting the life itself. What do we become when we do monstrous deeds? Please think before doing because that as no game.

To be fair is important, but also to recognize basic problems instead of following names blind and without any doubt. So you think the FSF and Richard Stallman are without doubts? Without any problems? Think again: Was it democratic based to bring back a person stepped down from positions? Yes to have the ideas from Richard Stallman and respecing them, but that would have been possible also without going back into positions. And what next on a social side? The FSF brought him back instead he is focussing again on absolute needed parts we have now the known problems: Preaching something the reality has not. Or do we have the freedom of choice? Are there not problems enough on the technical side? We have more and more projects going the "open-source"-way, making some foul compromises. More companies making contracts with projects and so getting influence. Just to name some: Audacity? Blender? There are enough questionable frameworks around made mandatory instead of being optional: systemd, pulseaudio, dbus, avahi und more? Projects directly from the GNU-project being a problem in respect of licensing or mixing problems within: Rust? Mono? Java?

But hey: Richard Stallman is back and now everything is "okay"? No, nothing is "okay", because following only blind ideas won't help. The FSF has overseen problems right away and talking with Microsoft seems more important than talking about problems already mentioned. Being believable is about talking problems, not about some illusions or marketing-ideas. Join what exactly? Projects like Hyperbola don't get more support from that. But personally it is also better not having the mass of people here, because that is one dedicated problem now and stay that way.

And I have enough to read those endless discussions where people think being personally attacked because others bring up problems or describe situations where the so-called "heroes" and "persons of interests" have failed. You think others have to solve that? Solve it by yourself and stop following only role-models. Think about ideas instead of think who can solve something on a greater level or do you want to give your own responsibility everytime away? Projects like Hyperbola live out from people working on them, not only talking about them. Better to have a small group working, instead of a great mass talking and discussing only. The reasoning is easy: Solutions can come with working, not only with talking. wink

In the end: Just following some names and persons because others do it does not make you something "free". Just to use something marked as "free" or others say so, does not make you "free" or emancipate anyone. And it is all about technical emancipation. We have problems at many points: The bloated Linux-only frameworks (without GNU)? Many bloated projects themself without freedom of choice? And people don't recognize the problems ahead within complicated structures in their own systems. But hey, if you want to follow some hierarchies? Feel free to do so, but this won't help.

All somewhat powerful people are always difficult to have access to. They may or may not have the skills relevant to the field but they definitely have the people skills to ignore, pose psychological problems and to look as being superior to the one trying to talk to them.

Well, when looked up close, we all know no one is perfect. However, I have talked to quite some knowledgable people and they are humble. Below is an example of how a powerful person programs his story in the minds of people through cunning!

There's a person who intends to know the truth of some area in which the person in power is wrong. Let's say he's a journalist as most journalists' job is to do so. The person in power will feed him a partial tidbit which most probably connect with his desired version of the story and hide. He has tons and tons of time but he just has to show that he is busy. When the journalist will not find anymore proofs of truth, he'll spend some time thinking about theories and come to believe a certain theory which is most probable in powerful person's favor. Since stories sell and he ought to deliver in his job, he publishes it. However, the issue is, by design, the powerful person has increased his power by making the journalist independently believe in what he'd like him to believe. This is some absolutely skewed incentive. The journalist has essentially increased the power of the person who stops him from doing his work of delivering the truth to the public.

The beauty of such a thing is the journalist genuinely believes that the powerful person is busy and the theory which he was led to believe must have happened! There's no trace of doubt on the journalist's face as he genuinely believes it's the truth!

It's important to recognize that ignoring is by design concealment (availability bias). To abolish or even reduce the power of the truth withholding entity, one should present that, this thing has been found and xyz refuses to answer these questions. This is boring and doesn't sell. The journalist will probably be fired if multiple such reports are found.

But this is going from the base-theory that mostly all powerful persons have slightly bad or even worse intentions. Instead I would bring back the known paradigm of ignorance back into. For sure some people have bad intentions, but mostly coming up from ignorance to be on the "right side" while "right or wrong" are just even more complicated concepts. Fore sure at one generic point we can say: "That is wrong!"

Especially when talking about ground-base rights for living and being handled with respect for life. Not being harmed and more. But on other parts it is getting really complicated. Personally I'd prefer to stay onto that course and so the journalist have different possibilities, especially when the person of interest talking to is not reacting or is making some kind of masquerade as this is also about. Mostly all other versions come up with some kind of conspiracies. Are they true? For sure not, but they are good stories to be used for the opposite. Democratic values are not broken only from outside, but from inside and outside by telling lies and using the masquerade to tell the people to "preserve the democracy". History is a good learning factor!

Respect each other, having within mind that own freedom stops where freedom of others begin, especially the freedom for living and being handled without any harm. The basic rights for any being. When this cannot be guaranteed any longer, we have the red line crossing and the wrong-doing is happening. But this can be done from everyone, individuals or groups, whole nations included if someone wants to pronounce that also - besides personally I'd like to see no borders on this nice blue planet. But well? Another story at another time, perhaps never going to happen.

And this is for all people out there seeking some kind of "ultimate truth": Especially in the occurrence of the global pandemic we only have science for clear definitions. That's our best chance! But it seems people think it is better to "redefine science"? No it is not. Please stop with that like math is NOT some kind of variance for example ("2 + 2 is 4 and not 22", please). Yes, there are for sure lies out there. Shortened information spreading throughout many channels. But foremost it is also about own competence with the understatement how shortening of information is working. Science is about clear facts, some need more time and others are at our concurrent point for now out and ready. But when we try to stop listening to facts, we are going back in time instead forward. We go for "gods and kings" again instead learning from metaphoric parts of those stories and with this math for example is for sure than "22" when some people tell "it is in the name of some gods, one god or any king". How can I say that? Well, just listen to people spreading conspiracies and lies. Reality is relative in this definition and so far most of them know this, but they play a game, a game for power.

Yes, going for information and facts is also a good thing. But the people mentioned here are not interested in that. They want power and play their games. And because people are afraid, they see their chances. Just look back in history, dear readers: Everytime beings are afraid, they hand over facts to beliefs and go for desasters. Better stop now!

So more or less the rhetorical question: Why to use any kind of platform indicating to "socialize"? Why is there need to build some profile and help collecting data about own interests, preferences and hobbies? The answer quite simplified: Because people love to play with some digital "alter ego". Some mirror figuring, they can form and modify at any time again as they want. And what about older postings? Oh, better to delete that. You think this is going good for the future? When you have no further intention to look back at own failures, what do you think to learn from that? Sharing pictures and some texts and thoughts. Okay, and then what? The world is changing just because you or me doing some posting? Yes, this thread here alone is full with thoughts and discussions. So who am I to demand others not to use those platforms? Well, it is about the growing problems we will face in the near future: The global society on the move into a backlash, not into progression. You help others collect data about you instead of reflecting yourself, if you use free or unfree platforms. Help making profiles, help to categorize beings and be yourself into categories. In combination with capitalism we are confronted to do wrong: The on-going competition to be the one in the mass, to work not in a community, instead to search for more power and influence. And there is the point: So many people claim a shortened picture to criticize capitalism, but nevertheless this is wrong and very much reason of more bad things to come ... it also does not help stopping the essential problem: The lost of being believable as there is for sure a human being behind every profile, but no one can say if this is meant honest or just another part of the competition and marketing. And even that: Fascists making marketing for fascism and we talk about giving companies behind those platforms more responsibility? Come on, people: Better to power the unfree ones down for good, and question the handle of the free ones. Discussions are elemental, numbers of "like" for example not. That is no communication, it is just the part to encounter wrong parts being relevant. Is the number of people being in contact relevant? No. To learn and reflect is for sure, not on this way. wink

A forum is also a place to discuss, but do we need "endless scrolling" here? Do we need elements being reloaded and full with JavaScript? Also again: No. And we can discuss and go for a reflection, but that's another part being based onto the personal decision, when people are not confronted with intentional made time-consuming functionalities like "endless scrolling" for example.

When people talk about "open-source" they mean often also free and libre software. And then they callout the concept of the GPL as "anti-pattern for open-source". Yes for sure, because it is intended to be done that way for being believable. I can also reduce the discussion more into the conflict of altruistic motivations on the one side and complete egoistic perspectives on the other side, because the wording Open Source is a failed concept alone. Permissive licensing seems so far nice, but it allows also to keep modifications away from public for a review. Is it a helping point? No, it is not because in the end unfree parts come up again from another side and that's also the reasoning many people seem not wanting to understand: This is not any kind of anti-pattern. For corporate handling? Yes, but that means also reducing free and libre software only into "some sort of open code and the rest is up to us for a decision". This should be technical emancipation? For sure not.

Ah and please: That is no reference for declaring permissive licensing as "bad". Remember one point of this thread? No simplification. Our whole world is based on more complex explanations. So I just characterized people here doing for simplification with the wording "open-source" because that is the point about it. Free, libre open-source software is another one and that's why we are here. If you stick for principles and concrete visions, you should be able to see that those so-called "defined anti-patterns" are also not in a whole following a continuous context ... the point? Anti-pattern for for open-source in a corporate context. But do we talk here about a corporate context? No, we don't. Therefore we do it the other way: Trying to follow altruistic motivations and that is why Hyperbola for example is calling for help, but for sure also does not want to integrate all and everything. Corporations and companies like Microsoft are not the "evils" and it is shortened criticism to characterize them as especially that. They follow the rule to maximize their own income and for sure that ends up not good. I can criticize that, I can also decline to use software and hardware following this and I decline that for sure as I don't want to use that. Same with the definition of "love for open-source". It is the described context within this posting: Kind of marketing, an illusion, nothing more and nothing less. A callout for pictures being assigned and creating a bond included with emotions and imaginations. But it stays just that as it always was: A hand full of stardust ... fluffy but nothing more, not onto technical and social emancipation from the ground because those elements are missing per concept. No bad intention, just missing. So you can also close the circle now as the ignorance is always part of this process: We humans tend to underestimate that quite often and some go directly for the "big conspiracies" - better try building smaller towers and just go for the most nearest argument as named already, people. wink

What is the main point in this blog-like thread? is it thinking critically and keeping your integrity?

This is about thoughts for free, libre soft- and hardware, politics and society in general as all is connected essential. The point is also that many groups and individuals seem to have forgotten to check the so-called critical mass for themselves. Meaning: They just go further with the slogan of "progression above everything" instead to question what is going on within the different parts. There are many examples: The Linux-kernel for example? Projects like Rust or NodeJS? Frameworks being made non-optional? Or so-called "free platforms" like Diaspora or Mastodon not recognizing that they have a broken communication ever since. The list is likewise very long and for sure you are invited to write your own thoughts here. smile

So yes: It is an ongoing search for critical thoughts, to ask questions and to reflect every step.

Just do yourself a favor: Don't be rude towards other systems and software. Yes, staying critical is one thing. But another to use slur-words. Is "Linux" (without GNU) better? Well, depends? It has problems, there are bugs and issues for sure. So don't try to make yourself just "better" because you are using "Linux" instead of others. Just don't make yourself seem "better" you are not using systemd or others. You can use for sure reasonable arguments, you can also point on issues about big frameworks. But just to point on others and stating that your choice is "better" is helping exactly where? wink

Helping others is about solidarity, to make clear WHY some choices can be more bad and not only they are in some way "better" or combined with your own ego making it "better". The world is not only rotating around you or me! Personal choices, but also reasonable and rational arguments for sure. And free software cannot exist in any environment focussed only onto money. Making "free soft- and hardware" better in any way? Give it more personality, hear people out and use rational arguments. And listen to each other as also building software is for sure NOT only your way when you want to work within a team. So you do yourself a favor for sure as you have a choice: Being completely egocentric only? Or try to open step by step? Sharing information and for sure the relevant information as there is no need for misguiding or conspiracies. We have science and we can have wisdom in combination with empathy and solidarity. We can choose how the rest is working.

Is free, libre software with support for unfree services to be called really "free"? Well, for sure we have here hypervideo with support for YouTube for example. But even though the package has removed unfree parts so far. Nevertheless: The point stays as you need to contact a providing source being completely out of control and knowledge. YouTube has changed more than once the API-definition making more problems incoming. Same for others also besides they can also make it even more problematic to contact the API or make some amount of calls towards it in some period of time making therefore the once free software you are using absolutely useless and incompatible.

The point within this posting is quite simple and easy: We want to be independent, but we also need unfree services as drivers for some kind of information or entertainment. And no: Using therefore so-called free alternatives does not make anything better as the content is again out of control. It is always stated that the "internet is never forgetting", but what happens when information is removed completely and nobody had enough interest to create any kind of backup? Happing every day again and happen also to software, videos, images and more. So saving something to any kind of remote service is a risk. As there is NO cloud, just other people's computers! wink

You may call it useful to have some Nextcloud-instance and access your data everywhere. At that point the complexity will rise again, not only for you when going into hosting own services. Also for our planet because you will have to host it somewhere and when you decide not to do it at your home somebody else has to do provide you hardware. You get this point also: Because again you have not full control and what happens with the hardware after some time? It is fine to have remote access, but we should think before doing it on a wider level for personal usage. And I have not even mentioned about possible security-risks and privacy-problems incoming as we should remember also that point for being believable and not stating "Hey look, I have my own Nextcloud. I'm the coolest person!"

And therefore remember also to clone the data of your favorite system, not rely onto being all-time available. What happens when the data is once not available? What happens when there is no longer interest? With a local mirror: No problem at all especially when your interest is about free, libre software being important and not only "something open-source". smile

One essential question drivins us all daily: Can we solve social problems with technical help? The answer is more or less just a plain simple No! And I have to admit: I have also my own problem with this answer, but ask yourself: Do you want to hand out essential parts of conversation and democratic discussions towards either individuals or groups? And is it correct that we are doing that? Not only speaking about making companies like Facebook (ah, sorry: Meta), Google (Alphabet) or others part of the justicial system and doing executive taks on their own, also speaking about the responsibility and pressure we bring people under that: One administrator for a whole instance within the so-called "Fediverse"? Come on, people: You can't be for sure serious. This person have to decide either some posting is fitting or some picture is not, some profile is violating rules or is even more onto fascist propaganda for example. Even though try out to speak with people on the street about fascism: You will see that there is no definite information and many don't even know more about. Going from this lack of information and knowledge in our society we think some individuals within the "Fediverse" can do that? Some companies should do that? For what? Don't get me wrong: This is not about the slur-definition of "freedom of speech".

This posting is about the essential question where we hand out decisions: And what is happening when we do that with companies? Ethics and moral are of no value for companies. That's for sure. Is it therefore correct we handout decisions to them and call platforms in some way "social"? Same for groups or individuals as we handout them decisions they cannot make, either because they have no historical knowledge about some happenings or they don't care for whatever reasoning. When we want to speak about freedom of speech, meaning that by definition also: We have to talk about responsibility. The questions I have to ask myself:

Can I write that?
Do I harm others or insult them?
How do I react on criticism?
Can I take responsibility for something I have shared?

Mostly this is all part of every posting and from my point of view: All platforms existing today are a failed concept under that perspective. Why should I share something on a platform I know the data is saved and taken from the own control? Why sharing impressions and perspectives, when there is no discussion? A discussion is elementary for the democratic course itself. And there are for sure points we should never discuss or even think about. But that is something which should part of our education, so where is the competence going forward with media for example? People share something only reaching their emotions, from any kind of blog without any kind of approval. That is for sure not any help and in the end we have filter-bubbles, keeping people within and no chance to come out. We need each other, so why do we go on with lies, greed and search for power? The price in the end will be too high. And why do we handout technical emancipation just that easy? Either some company or individuals and groups. No centralized or decentralized service can solve something we are all up to: Social responsibility for each other.
And yes: Part of this posting will for sure trigger some people now, but read careful again, please. I write about an education where people are told to think and discuss, learning where is the difference of a correct article and pure hatred-propaganda. To help each other, the concept of solidarity instead of reaching only the so-called next "level" as education has grown into some kind of highscore-board. But that's not helping the global society as we all can see the discourse is now damaged and most came up with this platforms I have mentioned, no matter of being free or not.

When we have that concept in mind: Many technical solutions should end only in one way, being powered down once and for all, that includes soft- and hardware as they are not free of responsibility. There is no neutral point within there also, otherwise free, libre software and culture would have never existed.
And surprise: Everything is connected. So you can for sure talk about free, libre soft- / hardware and try to show empathy for others, try to understand them and walk WITH them and not TALK ABOUT them. That would be a first good start: Ask for experiences of people in their living, in their own circumstances and not take their living as approval for YOUR OWN imagination or visions. Would be a great start, but you can also choose the other paths available. But sorry to say: Then you are part of the all common problem and not willing for now to help with the solution. And sorry, but when software is somewhat free and driven by thoughts of money, it will also become part of the problem sooner or later. Just takes longer and is a long-lasting illusion behind "open-source". Sounds nice for sure, but the outcome? For example Mastodon: They now go for "official applications on mobile devices". What is the wording of "official"? Are there no other projects doing that? For sure, but again: Decentralization is only another wording for "another form of authority". And where is YOUR authority? YOUR responsibility? MINE? OTHERS? Guess what: Not existing again. We need to change that.

I don't get it and so a message to ALL "Fediverse"-participants and developers: You are NOT creating a "new social system". You are NOT creating a new way of communication. ActivityPub sounds so far nice for sure, but it is just another protocol-definition and the corresponding platforms just uses decentralized systems. That's not "new" as others did it before. Decentralization is a nice construct on the paper, but in reality? It has its flaws and problems. And there is no solution towards social problems and communication in general.

Why do I wrote that down? Because people from Framasoft made nice advertising within a documentation called "Under the Radar". As mentioned: When hearing that, all sounds nice. But neither "Peertube" solves problems nor others will do that. Perhaps for some event-organization a decentralized network can do something. But well? The project Framasoft is working on is named Mobilizon and not even possible to be viewed without JavaScript. And the corresponding dependencies for this project? Read here more: https://docs.joinmobilizon.org/administ … ll/source/

And there it is again: NodeJS. Just to remember who owns npm? Oh yes, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Npm,_Inc.
No, not the argument about the "evil" Microsoft. Just the known argument about "open-source": It is nonsense and not the way into technical emancipation. Not the way Framesoft is stating about "Autonomy". You think with the overhead of JavaScript this is the way to go? Nice illusions, but nothing more. Who owns the code, the "copyright" for the project itself? Who owns everything else? That's the question and so step by step this whole infrastructure is not only full of security-problems. It is also full with licensing-issues to come. That's the reasoning NodeJS and npm should be not included within any system. Just someone has written the word "open" onto it does not make it "free and libre". Websites demanding so much overhead for JavaScript are useless and security-issues for themselves.

So to summarize, dear "Fediverse": You have a major problem, named "authorities". First "authority" is the one controlling the code for the platform and therefore the features to be implemented or rejected. Second "authority" is the installed node where users can create an account. Third "authority" is the user itself. Guess what: How to bring all those different "authorities" and therefore interests together? Short answer: Impossible. Neither the developers always listen to the administrators, the administrators to the users and the users to the rest. Even though: Users warning for social problems within the networks are mostly ignored and that is not new as it happened long before also at Diaspora and others. So the "Fediverse" has the same problem as the unfree implementations: Only viewed under the technical perspective and not with the social implication, what could happen, what would and will happen. We see the problems right now on a daily base: The communication is damaged, it is shortened as people reject complexity more and more. It has just to "work", nothing more. How it is working? Not relevant. Is it the same danger for me as the known ones? Not relevant, just counting on to play with the digital "alter ego". But it is relevant and it will be a big problem, it is right now a problem as we have too many filter-bubbles where people don't even listen any longer towards rational arguments and reasoning. You don't believe me? Well, your decision. But the major problem with authorities won't vanish as all of this is just a big illusion, nothing more: Imagine just a problem with one node being installed from people to get data? Imagine a problem with fascists installing a node and federating while not all others block them out - with the known false argument of "freedom of speech"? Or imagine just governments and others having more interests about the data, enforcing administrators to hand them out or companies behind the known unfree platforms go for ActivityPub and support that, therefore federating also? Sorry, but for sure NOTHING is solved. Just one name is changed, just another protocol is inserted additional and the rest stays the same. But hey: You can click and share as you want and perhaps if you click only hard enough for the better upcoming year ... it may become reality in your imagination. Sorry for the bitter sarcasm at the end as there are enough proposals existing, but not really used.

Coreboot is quite a good and interesting project, Libreboot more or less the same. Besides that I personally state towards Libreboot that the last actions regarding the people taking part were not correct from Leah Rowe herself. But that all aside this posting should be not focussed onto the projects giving us all more possibilities for making hardware more "free". It is about those on-going discussions where to go for 100% free and libre hardware: First things first most people are not even aware that their hardware have many issues and problems taking away security and privacy. So we have first a complete problem with information and competence. Next we have a problem with growing complexity: How can I study even complex software like systemd with thousands line of code, still counting? And then how can this be part of the reality of people on the common ground, when they have nothing to do at all with soft- and hardware?

We should never forget that there are for sure different definitions of freedom for hard- and software. So what will also happen with free software when it is enforced instead people have the possibility to choose? The freedom of choice is absolute important for everyone, even when the choice results within a system providing less or no freedom at all. So here is discussion and exchange of reasonable arguments for security and why free, libre soft- and hardware is providing that, an absolute key.

It is time to get out of the on-going rotation within "what is more free, what is less free". For sure: Less free is nothing we need to bother. But we need to get the arguments on a correct base, so more people are able to understand them. Do you think any user is coming here and reading, thinking how to get the own workflow transported into free implementations while the known ones provide so much "nice promises"? Even when those "promises" are nothing more than illusions: They go for. But that's not a callout to simulate this also. That would be exactly the wrong point to start from and too many projects have already done that: Giving some kind of illusion they can do exactly the same. When you do the same things as unfree implementations, you will sooner or later also copy their flaws and failures when getting bigger.

From my point of view there is an absolute need to get more competence into the discussions: Getting away from "I have heard that" and "Somebody stated in one blog on the internet that" is nothing we should rely on for real. We should provide clear information. And yes: That means also getting more complex on time. But it should be more easy to start for the users for an understanding. Not by handling, by information and building competence. Cheap promises are nothing to rely on, clear information and competence within media and information should be the goal for technical emancipation. Meaning competence within soft- and hardware on a common ground, but also within what kind of information is prepared and what is just some kind of illusion and propaganda for whatever. Being believable should include that as absolute base and therefore discussions may help, but they should nevertheless stop rotating:

1. Minimum system is better than big environments
2. One software with one task instead too many of them
3. Free as in freedom but also freedom of choice for the users
4. Respect the common four freedoms including the new one not to install something you don't want

Being believable means to build your own system and understand it, but also being not enforced for something you don't want. So coming back to the start: First thing would be therefore having the user understand what Coreboot and Libreboot are, what Heads could be also as more additions. We discuss quite too often far ahead why something is less libre, many people never heard even from anything basic. And we wonder why there is less interest? Don't get that wrong: More interest means also more explanation incoming as any new user and interested person would ask to bring problems into as mentioned already. When getting "bigger" the danger grows to copy flaws and failures right ahead. So for Hyperbola this is no model at the moment, but in general for a thought for sure, dear readers. wink

And besides all of that also to add: You want hardware being 100% libre and free? Well, that won't happen soon and only if there are enough people being engaged and interested. And being interested means also being informed. Being informed needs to have a steady and good base instead "someone on some blog on the internet told that". We have those basics already, we have here places like Hyperbola being interested and focussed onto that. But what we need is clear information, no mystic papers going around, no further "Linux is free and safe". Every software has its own problems and 100% security is an illusion. Any copy of unfree platforms is marketing no one is needing. Any marketing is going to be sooner or later just a blunt lie (yes Purism, I mean you also). Focus onto information, focus onto emancipation, going step by step. That is only possible when we go with cooperation, empathy, solidarity and clear information.

Just a short note again: Dear reader, please don't call insult-names. Not on persons, not on companies and not on projects. Staying onto criticism means that speaking about clear flaws and failures, not onto some names you think are fitting. You know what comes next? Bad discussions with clear whataboutism and the criticism you are onto will get out of the focus. Staying true towards criticism means staying true towards the concrete topic. You think Microsoft Windows has problems? Okay, name them and stop use claims making irony or fun. That has gotten out of any control and is just coming back far more worse as any criticism is ignored than. That's one reasoning why we have problems now to be heared out, especially when it is about free, libre soft- and hardware.

The OpenBSD-team called it once: "Some users hate Windows, so they do anything for making it look worse."
Yes, better to be concrete with critical points instead. Personally I don't hate that system, I just don't want to be confronted with many aspects of it for personal and privacy reasoning. That's one short point with more to come. But I don't need slur-names to describe my criticism. wink