26 (edited by throgh 2020-12-12 12:25:39)

Re: The sad story about Purism and the Librem?

And as I'm often talking about "anti-social platforms" - meaning the whole context - Purism is just talking about "We don't look at your junk". Congratulations, we have reached another low-level as conversations and social interactions should never called JUNK. It is the data of everybody and while I don't think it is helpful sharing some memes and pictures, even dangerous sharing more personal information, it is an individual decision. It is indeed a sad story here about this company. But it also shows what's wrong with "seeing" instead of "being". roll

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I think this thread must be extended into their software as well, mainly about pureos

like they tossing its own purebrowser for firefox esr and chromium with addons support and defaulting to google which not been fixed for long time without clear notices or intention.

dikasp2 wrote:

I think this thread must be extended into their software as well, mainly about pureos

like they tossing its own purebrowser for firefox esr and chromium with addons support and defaulting to google which not been fixed for long time without clear notices or intention.

Okay, big thanks from my side for adding this information. As it seems it's just about having some official certification. It's a pity as this is really not free, libre software. Yes, it is a free decision for usage, of course. But this pragmatism is in fact causing damage more and more. sad

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

29 (edited by dikasp2 2021-04-02 00:45:43)

well then excuse me to add some slight article smile

this guy explain it all:

(warning youtube is nonfree service! use hypervideo to protect your privacy)

[is pure os truly secure and private os ?]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGpTCQNa3Y

30 (edited by throgh 2021-04-02 00:54:31)

dikasp2 wrote:

this guy explain it all:

Always welcome for additions. A little bit more privacy-friendly tryout: https://redirect.invidious.io/watch?v=wrGpTCQNa3Y

The video itself starts a little bit rubbish, just from my point: The author does not have read through the FSDG and therefore not being informed what a distribution should not include being only for free, libre software and packages. Also the talk about the right of installing proprietary software / packages is a little bit off the way. He could always choose other distributions being not strict onto this. wink

But the following details about PureOS are very interesting: So it is just about marketing and I'd like to question HOW this distribution would have ever get through the approval for being on the listing for FSDG-compliant distributions. It's not about any kind of privacy, there is nothing different about being just a Debian. Also no deblobbed kernel and I would guess, it would be possible to install non-free firmware also in one way or another. Congratulations, Purism: Another marketing-lie. And FSF: Why do you list this distribution? Literally Debian had to be also on that list being therefore compliant when PureOS stays there. I don't have details what was exactly researched and I don't want to draw false conclusions. But seems really strange: Hyperbola is just that strict and it is good having that. Dragora is also very straight towards excluding freedom-issues. I have no details exactly about Trisquel in its current state and the included bloatware is a downside for me (speaking about dbus, pulseaudio and systemd). But as far as I have known Trisquel in the past: Libre kernel included, no firmware-blobs, no proprietary applications within the repositories. The rest is up to the decision of the user. But PureOS?

Besides: After about 20 minutes the author says there are no backdoors? How to know? Is there a view onto zeitgeist? Dbus, systemd and pulseaudio? There are security issues with all those. So how should this distribution not having any backdoors? Kind of strange as Gnome have issues already also including accounts from proprietary services. No tracking besides the browser? Would guess even worse so far.

throgh wrote:
dikasp2 wrote:

this guy explain it all:

Always welcome for additions. A little bit more privacy-friendly tryout: https://redirect.invidious.io/watch?v=wrGpTCQNa3Y

The video itself starts a little bit rubbish, just from my point: The author does not have read through the FSDG and therefore not being informed what a distribution should not include being only for free, libre software and packages. Also the talk about the right of installing proprietary software / packages is a little bit off the way. He could always choose other distributions being not strict onto this. wink

But the following details about PureOS are very interesting: So it is just about marketing and I'd like to question HOW this distribution would have ever get through the approval for being on the listing for FSDG-compliant distributions. It's not about any kind of privacy, there is nothing different about being just a Debian. Also no deblobbed kernel and I would guess, it would be possible to install non-free firmware also in one way or another. Congratulations, Purism: Another marketing-lie. And FSF: Why do you list this distribution? Literally Debian had to be also on that list being therefore compliant when PureOS stays there. I don't have details what was exactly researched and I don't want to draw false conclusions. But seems really strange: Hyperbola is just that strict and it is good having that. Dragora is also very straight towards excluding freedom-issues. I have no details exactly about Trisquel in its current state and the included bloatware is a downside for me (speaking about dbus, pulseaudio and systemd). But as far as I have known Trisquel in the past: Libre kernel included, no firmware-blobs, no proprietary applications within the repositories. The rest is up to the decision of the user. But PureOS?

Besides: After about 20 minutes the author says there are no backdoors? How to know? Is there a view onto zeitgeist? Dbus, systemd and pulseaudio? There are security issues with all those. So how should this distribution not having any backdoors? Kind of strange as Gnome have issues already also including accounts from proprietary services. No tracking besides the browser? Would guess even worse so far.

Zeitgeist = spyware
Dbus = mega ultra crap
Systemd = mega crap
pulseaudio = semi crap
Networkmanager = semi crap
PureOS and purism = expensive, bloated and dead end road.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

Zeitgeist = spyware
Dbus = mega ultra crap
Systemd = mega crap
pulseaudio = semi crap

With a smile: Removing dbus and pulseaudio is one good thing. smile
Rest is more or less completely optional, when Gnome is out of sight. Just a pity having also most desktop-environments more than enough dependencies towards named packages on the list.

Oh come on, Purism: You are again doing just foul marketing here. First things first: There is no such thing as "ethical marketing". In fact "marketing" always wants to wake up peoples' attention and make them believe any product within "marketing" is a good thing to get. No marketing is in fact "ethical marketing". That's for the first naming scheme mentioned, but it does not stop there. In an earlier article Purism is stating the question if "ethical advertising would be possible". And what to say? Where is the difference between "own hosted" traffic analysis and using other services? It stays "traffic analysis", that's it and nothing more. Okay, when using external services more data is driven from users. But where is in fact the difference of being tracked? There is none at all. But oh yes: "Big tech" is named within the second article. Okay, now we are making the difference between the "bad" and the "good"?

Again the known phrase: Come on, people. You can do for sure better. You know for sure that all you are doing is washing yourself clean from anything and stating that you are so good. Your own articles are marketing named per definition, both of them. There is a picture driven towards the company being some kind of "outsider". No, Purism: You are NOT any kind of "outsider" or "rebel" or whatever kind of framing you prefer. It is all a nice imagery being told in form of blog-posts. Perhaps you even believe that kind of nonsense you are telling? Maybe. But in the end it stays a sad story. You scribble a picture of dystopia, but you know? There is no difference between self-hosted or external used services. The purpose counts in and that means you are doing the same dystopia you see at others. Nothing more, nothing less!

Should we count in that you have not managed to offer any affordable hardware respecting more freedom until today, Purism? Your so-called "Linux-phone" Librem is so expensive and what do you think which kind of customers could afford that? Or the Librem-Notebook: Same story. Free culture, free hardware starts with being affordable. And no, Purism: You are selling smoke, bad illusions and nothing more. And for everyone thinking again that companies could help: No they can't and won't help anywhere within society! Companies don't understand ethics and moral. That's the point and anything else is just an illusion.

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Zeitgeist = spyware
Dbus = mega ultra crap
Systemd = mega crap
pulseaudio = semi crap

With a smile: Removing dbus and pulseaudio is one good thing. smile
Rest is more or less completely optional, when Gnome is out of sight. Just a pity having also most desktop-environments more than enough dependencies towards named packages on the list.

Gnome = everything wrong in the world...

sponsored by g4jc  himself!

wink

he wrote that on a document for which packages would be added... so...

yeah...

as for if I agree?

Nah, theres a much longer list and I hate to say this, but redhat? Actually might not be the worst after all, it is among good company... proprietors are bad in general... redhat, is just better at being sneaky then most... google and microsoft are both improving though...

wink

As for if purism is any good?

I have a few mixed feelings...

PURISM did fund, libre-soc...

probably to get people off their back and make them look good... still better than some hardware vendors... look at this:

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/orwl-open … 3-10-2016/

Guess where it was hosted once?

Crowdsupply...

and... they were so scummy, even crowdsupply removed them...

lol...

that being said, purism isn't ideal, even then.

But compared to that monster, purism is harmless.

Reason?

that device above had proprietary specs even for the stuff they put in place, not just the hardware of other vendors they used...

so... that being said, they are still the worst disguised that is available, but not the worst fthat has been seen...

wink

My point being, purism did the bare minimum of decency...  sadly, there are scumbags, that are just as bad if not worse...

But yeah, I still wouldn't trust them even if they had a fully libre processor in the future, etc...

Whether they are deceptive or incompetent and deceptive remains to be seen though...

No company is good of bad at all per definition. But as said: The outcome is always bad, when we rely onto. No company is understanding the meaning of solidarity, empathy, ethics and moral. That is not their concrete understanding and when a company for real wants to follow that, they have to make sure at every part in their processes those values are implemented. So per definition of capitalistic perspectives: They are "minimizing their profits". It depends and Purism has proven at so many places that they are liars, telling illusions and using questionable practices.

So it is no thing about being them some "bigger or lesser bad". It is generic bad outcome as they are mixing "open-source" and "free soft- / hardware". There is a difference for a reason. No problem in general with Coreboot-system, for example. When this is the best to be done? But pricing as mentioned and difference of used or new hardware - as last one will always make more damage as first one mentioned.

As said: Companies in general can do what they want, but my point being also in the earlier posting is that it depends on us. When we rely too much onto, when we believ in those marketing-lies, we won't do any better. So yes: All can tell what they want, but it is the point about looking behind the masking. Purism is doing on a smaller scale as others, but nevertheless: They are doing and using the same ways. Fine picture of "rebels" or "outsiders" where the "customers are valued, earthlings come all the same and the rainbow is always there". Ah, come on Purism, please tell that some walls. Or do you use batteries without Lithium? Parts made on places where workers are not treated inhumane? Especially the second question has no final answer, but that's already the answer for sure.

We are all part of the systematic approach mentioned, but it depends what we can or are willing to make out of it. The companies won't do it. But we can decide for sure. wink

throgh wrote:

No company is good of bad at all per definition. But as said: The outcome is always bad, when we rely onto. No company is understanding the meaning of solidarity, empathy, ethics and moral. That is not their concrete understanding and when a company for real wants to follow that, they have to make sure at every part in their processes those values are implemented. So per definition of capitalistic perspectives: They are "minimizing their profits". It depends and Purism has proven at so many places that they are liars, telling illusions and using questionable practices.

So it is no thing about being them some "bigger or lesser bad". It is generic bad outcome as they are mixing "open-source" and "free soft- / hardware". There is a difference for a reason. No problem in general with Coreboot-system, for example. When this is the best to be done? But pricing as mentioned and difference of used or new hardware - as last one will always make more damage as first one mentioned.

As said: Companies in general can do what they want, but my point being also in the earlier posting is that it depends on us. When we rely too much onto, when we believ in those marketing-lies, we won't do any better. So yes: All can tell what they want, but it is the point about looking behind the masking. Purism is doing on a smaller scale as others, but nevertheless: They are doing and using the same ways. Fine picture of "rebels" or "outsiders" where the "customers are valued, earthlings come all the same and the rainbow is always there". Ah, come on Purism, please tell that some walls. Or do you use batteries without Lithium? Parts made on places where workers are not treated inhumane? Especially the second question has no final answer, but that's already the answer for sure.

We are all part of the systematic approach mentioned, but it depends what we can or are willing to make out of it. The companies won't do it. But we can decide for sure. wink

I think the only thing Purism is doing worse, is the scale of their deception, otherwise, I agree completely.

Yes, but there is this little thought within me that there could be other ways to come. Meaning Purism rethinking their approach. Having coreboot-systems being released in form of the source-code for the final rom-binaries for newer x86 / x86_64 generations? Not that bad. But as said: That's just this little thought within. Not really more, but also not less. wink

throgh wrote:

Yes, but there is this little thought within me that there could be other ways to come. Meaning Purism rethinking their approach. Having coreboot-systems being released in form of the source-code for the final rom-binaries for newer x86 / x86_64 generations? Not that bad. But as said: That's just this little thought within. Not really more, but also not less. wink

To be honest, its hard to say, if they would make all their hardware open source licensed, even if they could. Which of course, is on a DRM level, even, completely impossible.

Not only would that be expensive,  but, given their ways, its hard to say if even then, it would be worth it.

If I plan to buy an expensive laptop, like that, I want it to be three things at the minimum:

modular
optionally DRM-Free
low electricity usage

Beyond that, I might as well get an old thinkpad from the ivybridge with intel me disabled and coreboot installed.

wink

The last option is for the best at the point of environmental damage as the older device has done its damaging at a point. Yes, seriously from the point of usage it could be also a newer one. But there always to remember: This is causing the message "gimme more" at the manufacturers. sad

This is an interesting post for me. Not exactly because of the topic, but for the reactions I read.
Of course this is a forum related to Hyperbola, a software project strongly compromised with computing ethics. Hence, almost any other software initiative/company looks far from the principles of user respect  we enjoy with our distribution.
Unfortunately, I do not enjoy that benefits (in terms of software) all the time. During my working day I deal with software from Microsoft, Apple, Alphabet, Oracle, RedHat, xubuntu and Hypebola. Of course, among the last three systems, it is easy to distinguish Hyperbola, simple, controlable and with strong principles. The other distributions are just in opposite sites in the "linux" spectrum. I do not know much about Librem, but from what I read they are closer to RedHat/Ubuntu than to Hyperbola. But please do not forget that the first four companies I mention are still there, and they develop very agressive practices every day. They even assume they will recieve some legal sanctions and they dont care.
What I am trying to say is that around all these gnu/linux - open - libre software there are many ignoring many of the principles behind the origin of the free software, but if we want to point out where is the "evil" I would not point to them.

Yes, for sure a valid point. The reasoning for this thread is more about the promises Purism has done in the past and the marketing they use for telling about "full freedom". Personally I would be more okay with clear wordings like "more oriented towards freedom" or something else. I deal myself also at working time with enough non-free software so I know the compromises being made. But especially throughout those compromises we see more problems around in the free culture and free soft- / hardware. People seem to more okay with them instead of having a clear understanding about so phrases like "open-source" are mixed into places where this could not be even more far away from reality.

Nobody gets taken away the freedom to choose for sure. But we can see more and more parts vanishing as more compromises are made on the course. A mentioned "evil" is nowhere to be found as that harsh description should be avoided. In fact I would no company name "evil" (per definition), just ignorant. The point is: Do we choose using them as only possible way? Or do we try something else? That is our choice to be made. So we need information being shared and discussions being done. Not about "evil", just about the methods and the facts behind.

42 (edited by zapper 2022-08-09 03:59:11)

throgh wrote:

Yes, for sure a valid point. The reasoning for this thread is more about the promises Purism has done in the past and the marketing they use for telling about "full freedom". Personally I would be more okay with clear wordings like "more oriented towards freedom" or something else. I deal myself also at working time with enough non-free software so I know the compromises being made. But especially throughout those compromises we see more problems around in the free culture and free soft- / hardware. People seem to more okay with them instead of having a clear understanding about so phrases like "open-source" are mixed into places where this could not be even more far away from reality.

Nobody gets taken away the freedom to choose for sure. But we can see more and more parts vanishing as more compromises are made on the course. A mentioned "evil" is nowhere to be found as that harsh description should be avoided. In fact I would no company name "evil" (per definition), just ignorant. The point is: Do we choose using them as only possible way? Or do we try something else? That is our choice to be made. So we need information being shared and discussions being done. Not about "evil", just about the methods and the facts behind.

You mean like how the linux foundation is being beyond stupid and supporting the idea of UEFI rather than being firm and saying we refuse to accept microsoft has to get approval for us to be able to install on UEFI?

Correcting the above quote, to make sure it makes sense...

As for the idea of no company being evil, let alone no corporation being evil... it depends on your definition of evil.

The moment someone abuses their power to control the user of their hardware or software, evil has already begun. 

Btw, I know your thoughts on mnt reform, so I am curious how you feel about this:

Not sure about all the changes made from i.MX8MQ VS LS1028A

This was the original right?

CPU: NXP/Freescale i.MX8MQ with 4x ARM Cortex-A53 cores (1.5 GHz), 1x Cortex-M4F core. CPU and RAM are on exchangeable SO-DIMM sized module.
    RAM: 4 GB LPDDR4 memory
    GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite GPU with mainline Linux drivers and OpenGL 2.1, ES 2.0
    Display: Full HD (1920x1080 pixels) 12.5" IPS eDP display driven via MIPI-DSI. Optionally-enabled HDMI port. 128 x 32 pixel system control OLED
    USB: 3x USB 3.0 ports external (Type-A), 2x USB 2.0 internal (for input devices)
    Networking: Gigabit Ethernet port. miniPCIe Wi-Fi card included in Reform Max pledge level.
    Storage: Internal M.2 M-key socket for NVMe SSD. Full size SD card slot.
    PCIe: 1x miniPCIe socket (PCIe 2.0 1x), 1x M.2/NGFF socket M-key (PCIe 2.0 1x)
    Keyboard: Reform mechanical USB keyboard with Kailh Choc Brown Switches, dimmable backlight, open firmware
    Trackball (Option): Reform optical USB trackball with 5 mechanical switches (Kailh Choc Brown), open firmware
    Trackpad (Option): Reform capacitive USB trackpad, open firmware
    Enclosure: Modular case from CNC-milled, bead-blasted, black-anodized 6061 aluminum. Bottom cover milled from semi-transparent acrylic.
    Sound: Wolfson WM8960 ADC/DAC, stereo speakers, 3.5" headset/microphone jack (no internal microphone)
    Camera: No camera. Internal MIPI-CSI connector
    Battery: LiFePO4 battery technology - which is more fire-safe and has more charge-cycles than LiPo battieries. 8x owner-serviceable 18650 cells totalling 12 Ah/3.2 V. 5 h approximate battery life
    System Controller: NXP LPC11U24 ARM Cortex-M0 chip with open firmware and hackable expansion port
    Manual: Operator Manual incl. system schematics and full parts list
    Sources: KiCAD sources for motherboard, keyboard, trackball, trackpad, STEP/STL/FreeCAD files for case parts, C sources for all firmware (input devices and system controller), build scripts for boot & system image
    OS: Preloaded with Debian GNU/Linux 11, Linux 5.x mainline kernel
    Dimensions: 29 x 20.5 x 4 cm
    Weight: ~1.9 kg

Also, look up the differences between LiFePO4 vs Lithium Ion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-i … ery#Safety
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-i … tal_impact
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-i … hts_impact

Then look at LiFePO4:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_i … advantages

Aka, the original mnt reform uses that type.

Hopefully the pocket one will also have that option in the future.

I initially wanted a 24 hour battery, but I am now thinking, that its better to have the same amount of LiFePO4 batteries in the mini as an expansion option instead, even if it only gives 12 hours.

wink

That being said, your concerns are reasonable, provided no better alternative comes around.

Hopefully something better does come though.

Btw, modular can be better, even if people toss the old version of it out, if and only if, the components it uses are less than 1/8th of the toxicity level of the alternatives.

Which more than likely will be the case in the future if not now.

Abuse of power is a very complex thing and topic: Everyone could do that, some even about the imagination to do no further harm towards others. Is it good or bad? As you have said: Depends on definition. But the point I'm onto is shortened criticism. Therefore the thread is named especially the way it is: A sad story. Because for sure it is one. Purism could do better and perhaps someone is reading here or somewhere else, thinks and gets something back to do that? Perhaps nothing happens or something else. The point is: Yes, we should name problems and write down criticism. We should also stay true towards principles: Meaning there is no need to use services from named companies or their platforms. Do a change with little steps, that's the idea behind.

Lithium generally is not good as being toxic waste in the end. There are works out there to use alternatives, but for now they are not finished and let us hope they are getting better for our environment. As said that: I think MNT should do further on their way. But nevertheless I stay also at the point mentioned: Free hardware needs to be affordable. Best model is to use refurbished hardware in that case.

But one annotation onto MNT Reform also ... if you want to write about that, create a new topic. It is kind of complicated for people to follow any topic if there is mixed content without any relation to the discussion. Thanks! smile

throgh wrote:

Abuse of power is a very complex thing and topic: Everyone could do that, some even about the imagination to do no further harm towards others. Is it good or bad? As you have said: Depends on definition. But the point I'm onto is shortened criticism. Therefore the thread is named especially the way it is: A sad story. Because for sure it is one. Purism could do better and perhaps someone is reading here or somewhere else, thinks and gets something back to do that? Perhaps nothing happens or something else. The point is: Yes, we should name problems and write down criticism. We should also stay true towards principles: Meaning there is no need to use services from named companies or their platforms. Do a change with little steps, that's the idea behind.

Lithium generally is not good as being toxic waste in the end. There are works out there to use alternatives, but for now they are not finished and let us hope they are getting better for our environment. As said that: I think MNT should do further on their way. But nevertheless I stay also at the point mentioned: Free hardware needs to be affordable. Best model is to use refurbished hardware in that case.

But one annotation onto MNT Reform also ... if you want to write about that, create a new topic. It is kind of complicated for people to follow any topic if there is mixed content without any relation to the discussion. Thanks! smile

Fair point, I was more just saying, they at least mean well...

Will open a new one right now though!

Sorry bout that lol

The story of Purism and the Librem 5 is not told to the end: https://puri.sm/posts/where-is-my-librem-5-part-3/
Just to mention the table showing the state:

Model: Librem 5
Lead Time: 52 weeks

There are enough reports that Purism is not telling the customers the full story as they have not reached parity for delivering the devices. They always told about the certification for FCC. A company like Purism being oriented on ethical handle should know better instead they do shady tales.

46 (edited by zapper 2023-03-17 22:38:41)

throgh wrote:

The story of Purism and the Librem 5 is not told to the end: https://puri.sm/posts/where-is-my-librem-5-part-3/
Just to mention the table showing the state:

Model: Librem 5
Lead Time: 52 weeks

There are enough reports that Purism is not telling the customers the full story as they have not reached parity for delivering the devices. They always told about the certification for FCC. A company like Purism being oriented on ethical handle should know better instead they do shady tales.

Geez... sonds like the OWRL campaign on crowdsupply which I found out, still is there later on.

Basically, OWRL is a physically secure device or so they say. The problem is, the firmware they develop has a huge limitation. Its proprietary!

Anywho, the only thing I think librem has done that is even a little bit palatable is that they gave some money to help develop a libre lightweight openpower processor. Libre-Soc aka...

But yeah, this doesn't make them innocent at all, possilbly that was their way to divert attention just like google has done in the past.

Luke seemed to indicate that even Purism's own OS isn't even libre.  Which I am unsure of, but at best its as bad as another well known one that swallows all the corporate garbage that is thrown to the mainstream distros. At worst, its also a liar on blobs that are obvious too. tongue

This all being said, I give 1 point for the one good thing I mentioned and -99 for everything else.  Difference of -100 and -99, isn't very great...

OWRL is the -100.

Btw, 52 weeks isn't that a year? LOL!

That sounds like eoma68 style waiting, but without any ethical intentions at all!

As a last added note, the pocket mnt reform wait time if you ordered last tuesday is october 17th. I think? That is akin to seven months I think.

But for purism, they are A:

Not pure

B:

not honest

C:

Lying even on their libre os

D:

5 months longer wait, but I don't know how long that was true either.

Exactly their software is non-free: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/redpine-firmware-nonfree
The problem with PureOS is: It is a marketing-move and the FSF has gone willing with it. Did they know? Well, unclear until today. Nevertheless Puism is not doing anything "ethical" as this is just their point of sale and marketing. Nothing more: They tell something with buzzwords around their devices. In fact those devices are not that bad for sure, but also not that good as they promised.

I know very little about Purism, but as with "green" or "carbon neutral" or "fair trade", "open source" has become a marketing thing for selling products. By it's very nature, hardware is a tangible product which is developed and sold for profit, and it's why I'm convinced that open hardware is a long way off, only a utopian fantasy at this point.  In my view it will only ever be a reality if there is some regulation in place. Right now at this moment in time, that seems like a pipe dream.

Until then, almost everything that makes claims of "privacy", "open source", "free", etc - and which is operated for profit - should be treated with some scepticism.

For example, Raspberry Pi was a wonderful thing for many, it was aimed at education, low cost, designed to work with Linux and most never considered Broadcom's involvement and proprietary firmware. People often see things through a very narrow lens and those marketing such products can exploit that, to focus on a few key aspects of "freedom" while ignoring many other key areas.

Yes, fitting from my point of view. But therefore hardware no longer considered as "new released" should be the main focus, the so-called "after-market". Also here: That's most time a compromise, but most one being less harmful. Without the utopian view for sure.

blackhole wrote:

I know very little about Purism, but as with "green" or "carbon neutral" or "fair trade", "open source" has become a marketing thing for selling products. By it's very nature, hardware is a tangible product which is developed and sold for profit, and it's why I'm convinced that open hardware is a long way off, only a utopian fantasy at this point.  In my view it will only ever be a reality if there is some regulation in place. Right now at this moment in time, that seems like a pipe dream.

Until then, almost everything that makes claims of "privacy", "open source", "free", etc - and which is operated for profit - should be treated with some scepticism.

For example, Raspberry Pi was a wonderful thing for many, it was aimed at education, low cost, designed to work with Linux and most never considered Broadcom's involvement and proprietary firmware. People often see things through a very narrow lens and those marketing such products can exploit that, to focus on a few key aspects of "freedom" while ignoring many other key areas.

Ironically, a lot of hardware has climate friendly pledge that is so far from it.

The moment any hardware has backdoors and data collection done regularly, that status should be revoked automatically, because it is wasting electricity and likely to end up in a landfill due to security issues and is a hog already.

This can be applied to all hardware that does this when the climate is already in trouble...

I mean for God's sake, are they trying to kill the planet as fast as possible?

What good does money do these people, if the planet gets to a point where people die because of this greed?

Its like spending a bunch of money on a special type of oil to run a car, but your car is likely going to die in a few days.

Utterly stupid... but this is many times stupider.